neuro program application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro-cocks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many programs are you guys applying to for neuro? I submitted mine the other day with about 21, but I signed back on and selected like 10 more that I guess I would go for if I felt like I needed to. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

How many programs are you guys applying to for neuro? I submitted mine the other day with about 21, but I signed back on and selected like 10 more that I guess I would go for if I felt like I needed to. What do you guys think?
That sounds like absolute overkill. My advisor told me that applying to more than ten programs was too many. I applied to 13 just to be safe. What do other people think?

How many prelim internal med did you send with the 21?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna be absolutely honest, hope it doesn't stress people out.

I'm a FMG with USMLE scores (99, 92 & 89 in STEPS 1,2 &3). I did my internship last year and I'm doing neuropathology for a year this year (both in Ireland where I went to med school). Have one publication (not first author). Excellent referrences (they sounded that way to me, anyway).

I've applied to 28 neuro programs. Dunno if it's overkill, I got nervous and applied to more programs. Plus I've applied to a lot of the competitive programs especially in new york & boston (Cornell, Columbia, MGH, BIDMC... etc.), I don't know what my chances are. I've been told they are good.

Last year I had problems with my referrence letters (lost by secretaries.. etc) Plus, for a while, I was indecisive about spending a year doing neuropathology first. So, I'm anxious to get in this year, thats why I'm applying to so many. To be honest I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks extra than delay my residency further.

I've applied to some prelims as well. Mainly in the same institutions as the neuro programs.

Hope this helps. Anyone think this is too many, too few or is it just right?

I also don't want to spend another year unmatched, therefore I applied to 50 programs. So no worries Irish superscorer, even if I don't match I hope to make ERAS wealthier also.

I also don't want to spend another year unmatched, therefore I applied to 50 programs. So no worries Irish superscorer, even if I don't match I hope to make ERAS wealthier also.

Indeed, my pocket feels empty and ERAS is the hole... The amount I spent is almost embarressing. I'll reveal it after the match maybe.:oops:

Hi everyone

I am a 4th year med student who is interested in Neuro. I am not sure what resource to use to figure out what programs are difficult/ok/easy to get. I am at best an average US med student with a bunch of Ps (some HP's) in my first and second year and all HP's in my third year. I honored Neuro 3rd year but my STEPI score is pretty lousy (passed, but less than 200). I am waiting on my STEP II score. Anyway, I am sure the top ones are super competitive (I think those have been mentioned by someone already) but am looking for advice on medium-low competitive programs. Any advice on "rating" the below mentioned programs would be appreciate:"

UCLA, UCSD, USC, Uconn, GW, Gtown, Univ of Illinois, Univ of Chicago, Rush, McGaw Medical Center, Tufts, Boston Univ, Univ of Md, Univ of North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, UMDNJ, NYU, Mt.Sinai, St. vincent's, Upenn, thomas jefferson, Temple, Drexel, U Pitt, UT-Austin, Ut-Dallas, UT-houston, Baylor, VCU-Richmond, UVA

I know its a lot of programs, so any feeback on any of them would be appreciated. Thanks