This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspen521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a US-IMG applying this year and I really need help. Not much guidance from my school and a little pressed for time with apps this week - any advice asap would be very helpful! I had 3 main questions:

1. If I'm applying to Neuro and IM programs, is it bad to apply to prelim IM at the same spots I apply for categorical IM? (There's a lot of overlap for me because I'm hitting lots of places in the northeast so I don't know how to avoid this? Since I'm a US-IMG, I'm applying to lots of programs so that also makes it harder to avoid. Any strategies you recommend if you would choose to avoid this? Also, if you think it's ok to do both, what would I say if the IM PD asks me why? Would this impact my ability to match into the prelim or cat position?)

2. When sending personal statement for prelims, should I: send same as neuro or send my IM one?

3. For LORs for prelims, should I: send my Internal specific LOR? Or Neuro specific? Or both?

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would send the neuro statement for prelims since they know you are moving on. I added a sentence about why prelim-medicine would be important for me in the conclusion though.