neuro oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering what opportunities there are in neuro oncology. How much does one earn, in comparison to other subspecialities? If there are so few neuro oncologists, one would think they are well compensated-but I've heard otherwise. jsut wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience on the topic. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of our past moderators (his profile name is GopherBrain) is completing (of may be finished) with a neuro-oncology fellowship.

Perhaps you could search the forum on this topic, find some posts that he would have inevitably made in a thread dealing with neuro-onc, and send him a PM?

We had a single attending neuro-oncologist in my training program and she was pretty darn smart. My understanding of the job is it is typically for those planning on going into academic medicine. I believe the salaries are thus consistent with neurologists of all stripes.

Knowledge about private practice neuro-oncology is admittedly beyond what I know.

It appears as if pay is pretty similar to general neurologists both private and academic. Starting salaries in the 180K range to start. Pay is better at cancer centers, which are now popping up all over. Supposedly, neuro-oncology is now one requirement for Comprehensive Cancer Center status as recommended by the NCI. There is also opportunity to work in private neurosurgery practices as a salaried employee taking care of the brain tumor patients (allegedly, I haven't seen any of these jobs advertised). You may have a chance to make more than a general neurologist who just sees clinic if you can write for chemotherapy, Ommaya taps/intrathecal chemo etc. It really depends on your situation, obviously academic jobs will pay than at private institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears as if pay is pretty similar to general neurologists both private and academic. Starting salaries in the 180K range to start. Pay is better at cancer centers, which are now popping up all over. Supposedly, neuro-oncology is now one requirement for Comprehensive Cancer Center status as recommended by the NCI. There is also opportunity to work in private neurosurgery practices as a salaried employee taking care of the brain tumor patients (allegedly, I haven't seen any of these jobs advertised). You may have a chance to make more than a general neurologist who just sees clinic if you can write for chemotherapy, Ommaya taps/intrathecal chemo etc. It really depends on your situation, obviously academic jobs will pay than at private institutions.

Are you sure about that? I always thought neuro onc was solely research, and that only onc docs could do chemo...

Are you sure about that? I always thought neuro onc was solely research, and that only onc docs could do chemo...

I live it bro. The neuro-oncologists where I work write for chemo and I write for chemo under them...so the answer is no it is not solely research and neurologists who do neuro-oncology fellowships write for chemotherapy. There have been turf wars that occur, allegedly, over privileges to write for chemo. Most neuro-oncologists that get hired as such do so with the understanding that they will serve as the 'chemotherapist'.

Hi BlackFrancis and all -
i'm in the process of applying for residency, but may be interested in Neuro-onc. I like the prospect of research, and the possibility to make a real difference in patient's lives - in so far as cure is concerned (albeit few and far between). I'm working in a neuro-onc clinic during a spring rotation and am looking forward to it. As for life-style - how do you deal with the potential for your own depression? Thanks.

kapMD/PhD, I assume by the 'potential for your own depression' you are referring to the fact that the most common adult brain tumor, glioblastoma, has a poor prognosis. That is true. Median survival is now close to 20 months (or more) in trials using current standard of care. All oncologists have 'bad days' i.e. 'everyone progressed today'. Neuro-oncologists probably have more of those days than many. It think you do it to be in the room with the patients at those moments, good and bad. I am just getting started, so I don't have a careers worth of experience to relate.

Thanks! I agree - there's something to being able to be with the patient's during those moments. I guess I'll have to test the waters with some rotations - more-over just get accepted to a residency first :)