[Neuro] Help Direct Me

:thumbup:

Also average salaries don't give the whole picture. I know some rural primary care doctors make ~$50,000. On the other hand, I read a book about a private practice general surgeon who made over $1.3 million per year.

The key is knowing business. Medicine is a business whether people like it or not. However I would feel MUCH MUCH better making 1.3 million as a Dentist than a Physician, simply because I would feel bad making tons of money off of other people's sickness.

If I were a Surgeon... I would live so humbly because I would feel terrible that I'm living a great life while I had a patient die the same day and i'm driving home in my 100,000 dollar Porsche Carrera S.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were a Surgeon... I would live so humbly because I would feel terrible that I'm living a great life while I had a patient die the same day and i'm driving home in my 100,000 dollar Porsche Carrera S.

haha. we'll see what song you're singing if/when you get through a surgical residency program my friend!

Thanks for the answers! I have another question and I don't want anyone to rage at me when I ask... But med school is like other colleges when it comes to getting loans and such right? Or do I have to pay A LOT out of pocket? I mean I know I will eventually have to repay it and stuff.

No need for rage, it is a great question. You will not have to pay out of pocket at all. Each school determines its "cost of attendance" which includes tuition, books, housing, etc and provides that to the government. This determines how much each student can take out in government loans. This will be the main way most students pay for school. Medical schools sometimes offer scholarships based on needs or performance which could offset some of the cost. Additionally you can usually take out additional loans at a higher cost through banks etc.

This method leads to a great deal of debt. There are a variety of loan forgiveness programs where you can give work in an undeserved area in exchange for getting rid of debt, but it is difficult to say where these will be in ten years. There is also a scholarship program through the DOD called the Health professions scholarship program (HPSP) where students join the military and receive a free ride to medical school in exchange for years of service. There are also programs like the MD/PhD program which are extremely competitive but offer a stipend in addition to a free ride.

This is a pretty brief overview of medical school financing. Try searching (upper right hand corner) for things like how to pay for medical school and you will find some other threads which provide you a plethora of information on the subject. Also look in the military medicine sub forum if you are interested in the HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need for rage, it is a great question. You will not have to pay out of pocket at all. Each school determines its "cost of attendance" which includes tuition, books, housing, etc and provides that to the government. This determines how much each student can take out in government loans. This will be the main way most students pay for school. Medical schools sometimes offer scholarships based on needs or performance which could offset some of the cost. Additionally you can usually take out additional loans at a higher cost through banks etc.

This method leads to a great deal of debt. There are a variety of loan forgiveness programs where you can give work in an undeserved area in exchange for getting rid of debt, but it is difficult to say where these will be in ten years. There is also a scholarship program through the DOD called the Health professions scholarship program (HPSP) where students join the military and receive a free ride to medical school in exchange for years of service. There are also programs like the MD/PhD program which are extremely competitive but offer a stipend in addition to a free ride.

This is a pretty brief overview of medical school financing. Try searching (upper right hand corner) for things like how to pay for medical school and you will find some other threads which provide you a plethora of information on the subject. Also look in the military medicine sub forum if you are interested in the HPSP.

Thanks for the thorough answer bud. I will check out some of the other threads and see what i can get out of them! This has put my mind at ease a lot.

Yes. As a matter of fact there is a chance to get grades removed depending on the state you live in. Do not get amazed by this, the only way they can get removed is if you stop attending a university for a 10 year period. After that, your records will be erased. [You have to let them know this is the choice you want though.] Assuming you are young this might not be the option you are looking for. The records will be with you forever.

mca.png

I think i will just try to cover them up haha. I cant be asked to wait 10 years before starting school again haha. thanks for the tip though