Directly Med School from High School

ConfusedHStudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!,

Currently I'm going to be a senior and unfortunately reality has came :(. I was wondering what medical schools would accept a student coming directly from high school. I've read that the Caribbeans would be good until I came here. My brother went to China directly from High School and currently is taking the USMLE. Is there any recommendation on what schools I should investigate on?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not the best idea if you'd like to practice in the U.S... go to college then apply to medical school

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys!,

Currently I'm going to be a senior and unfortunately reality has came :(. I was wondering what medical schools would accept a student coming directly from high school. I've read that the Caribbeans would be good until I came here. My brother went to China directly from High School and currently is taking the USMLE. Is there any recommendation on what schools I should investigate on?

Thanks
Do you mind telling me why you cant go to college? Its okay to start at a Community College (I did).
Dont go to medical school straight from high school. You need to go through Organic Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry etc at the college level. college is nothing like high school, (even if you took 4 AP classes per year), and medical school is nothing like college.

Caribbean schools like SGU do have 7 year medical programs where you can come in with your high school diploma and leave with a BS/MD.
7-Year MD Program – Take Pre-Med Courses Prior to 4-Year Program | St. George's University
But please dont take this risk, especially since you're only in high school

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Go to medical school in the country you want to practice medicine in. In my previous thread, Caribbean Diploma Mills , gonnif shows a helpful chart and does some useful statistical analysis of your chances. US students who go to other countries (US IMG) are getting less and less residency spots even though the total number of spots is going up. It's a bad investment.

There are no medical schools in the US where you can start med school directly after high school. There are some B.S.-M.D. connection programs where you can be accepted to the medical school after high school, but you still need to complete a few years of college-level courses first. These are incredibly difficult to get into, and for various reasons they are generally not recommended by people round SDN.

There may be medical schools you can go to right after high school in other countries, but it is very, very difficult to come back to practice in the United States after having attended a foreign medical school and this is not the best path to take unless you are 100% okay with living not in the US as an adult.
My brother went to Tianjin Medical University in China and is currently on the way on taking the USMLE. Isn't it at the end of medical school is to take USMLE and then residency?

Do you mind telling me why you cant go to college? Its okay to start at a Community College (I did).
Dont go to medical school straight from high school. You need to go through Organic Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry etc at the college level. college is nothing like high school, (even if you took 4 AP classes per year), and medical school is nothing like college.

Caribbean schools like SGU do have 7 year medical programs where you can come in with your high school diploma and leave with a BS/MD.
7-Year MD Program – Take Pre-Med Courses Prior to 4-Year Program | St. George's University
But please dont take this risk, especially since you're only in high school
It is not that I can't go to college. My parents aren't rich just like many people and student loans are very hard to pay off. Its only $60,000 if I go to the Caribbean or any other country it self. Obviously I do not want to make my parents poor and I just don't like the idea of having a student loan.

My brother went to Tianjin Medical University in China and is currently on the way on taking the USMLE. Isn't it at the end of medical school is to take USMLE and then residency?

USMLE has multiple steps, and you aren't guaranteed a residency spot. If you don't get into residency, you will have all the debt of your medical education, but will not be allowed to practice as a doctor. Foreign graduates are much less likely to get a residency spot. You are making a huge bet that you'll get a job in the US after a foreign medical school, but it may not pay off unless you want to be a PCP in a rural area, in which case sure! But those don't pay a whole lot and I'm sensing financial stability is important you (which is completely fair). US Med schools require UG studies because US residencies value things that come from it-- an interdisciplinary education, having taken writing classes, an understanding of physics and math (which is assumed and not taught in med school), the age buffer to naturally increase maturity. It's not like people haven't become doctors taking shortcuts, but it's a bet that may pay off and will definitely limit your choices. If you really want to go all in on this (and you will be going all in, you'll be betting your life), Carib, Ireland, Australia, China, doesn't matter. You're an international medical graduate anyways.

Last edited:
It is not that I can't go to college. My parents aren't rich just like many people and student loans are very hard to pay off. Its only $60,000 if I go to the Caribbean or any other country it self. Obviously I do not want to make my parents poor and I just don't like the idea of having a student loan.
Do you know if you could qualify for grants? I went to community college and ... I know I shouldnt be saying this but... I was basically paid to go to school lol. My tuition was paid off, and plus I recieved an extra $1500 per semester to spend on books. If you're living at home, thats essentially money in straight in your pocket. If you're a US citizen I would really look into FAFSA and other need based scholarships, or even some merit based ones.

USMLE has multiple steps, and you aren't guaranteed a residency spot. If you don't get into residency, you will have all the debt of your medical education, but will not be allowed to practice as a doctor. Foreign graduates are much less likely to get a residency spot. You are making a huge bet that you'll get a job in the US after a foreign medical school, but it may not pay off unless you want to be a PCP in a rural area, in which case sure! But those don't pay a whole lot and I'm sensing financial stability is important you (which is completely fair). US Med schools require UG studies because US residencies value things that come from it-- an interdisciplinary education, having taken writing classes, an understanding of physics and math (which is assumed and not taught in med school), the age buffer to naturally increase maturity. It's not like people haven't become doctors taking shortcuts, but it's a bet that may pay off and will definitely limit your choices. If you really want to go all in on this (and you will be going all in, you'll be betting your life), Carib, Ireland, Australia, China, doesn't matter. You're an international medical graduate anyways.
At the end an international degree is the same as a US degree. ( Sorry if I'm coming out rude I am trying not to)

Do you know if you could qualify for grants? I went to community college and ... I know I shouldnt be saying this but... I was basically paid to go to school lol. My tuition was paid off, and plus I recieved an extra $1500 per semester to spend on books. If you're living at home, thats essentially money in straight in your pocket. If you're a US citizen I would really look into FAFSA and other need based scholarships, or even some merit based ones.
Yes I know I could possibly qualify for grants. I've looked into them with my High School counselor and they wouldn't help me as much. It would be still more than the Caribbean.

Which caribbean medical school costs 60 grand total? I would imagine its 60 grand a year...

Only 12 US IMG's who received their medical education in China matched into a preferred specialty.
45 got an interview and didn't Match.
We don't know how many more tried and never got an interview.
I wish your brother the best but the odds are not good.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sg=AFQjCNEEvrvq0e0the6FJnu9cfmRdFhJpA&cad=rja

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also an upcoming senior who will have to take out student loans for college. Sure, right now it sounds horrible, but in the future you'll be glad you went this way because you'll be able to get a job and pay it off in a couple of years. Plus if you get accepted into medical school right after college you get some extended years to pay off loans.

What I don't understand is how you expect to pay for medical school if you can't afford undergrad . All four years of my undergrad education combined cost approximately half of one years tuition of the medical school I'm applying to. Both are public universities, but still!

Which caribbean medical school costs 60 grand total? I would imagine its 60 grand a year...

Tuition of Affordable Caribbean Medical School | Windsor University School of Medicine

Of course there's a reason for it..
Windsor University School of Medicine produces profits, few doctors

There are a few more schools in that price range. None of these are 50 state accredited. I know someone who went to the above school. Took him 2 extra years to get his FM residency.

Hi Guys!,

Thanks

When you're applying for residency, some states specifically ask for ~90 undergrad credits to be done in North America. At least that's what i was told by some of my Caribbean friends.
Also, anyone from anywhere can take and pass the USMLE. Doesn't mean that you'll do well and get a residency.
As a rule of thumb, if the words "NRMP match data" is foreign to you, then do not entertain a foreign school because you're either too young or haven't done enough research to pursue this option.