Neuro experts: Please advise on a difficult case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cougarblue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any of you have any ideas about the following problem I would deeply appreciate your insight. My sister-in-law was born with Down's Syndrome. She is now 25 years old, and has for the past month been suffering from LOC which has stumped both her family doc and neurologist. My family has asked for my advice, and knowing that I currently know very little, (I will be an MS1 in 2003), I am hoping that some of you on student doctor will have some ideas. Here is what I know of the situation. My sister-in-law complains of leg pain, sore throat, and cold extremities. Her EKG and EEG were both normal. An MRI, CT, and echocardiogram were also unremarkable according to the neurologist. The neurologist prescribed Zonegran as an anticonvulsant, but according to my in-laws when she loses consciousness, there are no convulsions. During her "out" periods she appears basically to be asleep, but is unresponsive to stimuli such as pinching or needle prick. Other than being Down's, my sister-in-law is also hypothyroid and is currently taking synthroid. She has no other chronic medical problems. I realize that more than likely much more information is needed, but this is all that I know at the moment. If you have any ideas, please post. I would love to give my family some ideas that would decrease their stress level. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.