Nephrology Solo Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raj Maddras

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate Nephrology in July 2013 and I really like to go to California; my fellowship is in East Coast now. I have some saving for start-up fund.

I'm going thru questions on solo practice and one question I couldn't figure out.

The only way to get new in-patient is being on-call at hospital. I saw the paper-work to get hospital privilege, but how do I arrange with hospital to be on-call?

--Raj

Members don't see this ad.

You obtain hospital privileges first then ask the person who makes the call schedule to get in the rotation for nephrology on call for the ER. This varies from hospital to hospital. Larger hospitals will have a chief of nephrology and smaller hospitals will have an ER secretary/administration type set up the ER call schedule for nephrology.

The other part to this issue is call coverage. Most hospitals will require you to have an arrangement with another nephrologist to get on the call schedule. This will require you to find a solo nephrologist or a group to share call with you when you are away from town.