Nephrology Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a fourth year medical student possibly considering subspecializing in nephrology and was wondering if anyone here knows anything about private practice nephrology-- I have heard that it has a good lifestyle, can be lucrative, and that private practice nephrologists work out of dialysis centers, and that it is a specialty that is currently in demand and will be for a while- is this true, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

rs2006 said:
Hi all,

I am a fourth year medical student possibly considering subspecializing in nephrology and was wondering if anyone here knows anything about private practice nephrology-- I have heard that it has a good lifestyle, can be lucrative, and that private practice nephrologists work out of dialysis centers, and that it is a specialty that is currently in demand and will be for a while- is this true, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Nephro is depressing stuff...doing a rotation now. All the patients have HTN. DM, CHF, COPD, Hyperlipid, etc Dialysis is depressing.....there's a 50% mortality in 5 years. Easy work though but not much you can do to honestly help the patients get better.

there is a projected need for nephrologists in the next 20 years. You would have excellent job security. They do pretty well money wise too.