Nephrology Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurt

Nor Cal Psych R2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good concise book for a 4th year nephrology rotation? Hopefully from those that have completed a nephrology rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by hurt
Can anyone recommend a good concise book for a 4th year nephrology rotation? Hopefully from those that have completed a nephrology rotation.

I am just finishing a nephro rotation. What kind of book are you looking for? Like a thick textbook? or something like a pocket book to the effect of the Wash manual?

I am looking for a good pocket reference, but if you can recommend a good text, this will also help me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the Manual of Nephrology pocket book for sale, it is similar to a "Washingtona Manual" sort of presentation. Let me know if you are interested.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I have the Manual of Nephrology pocket book for sale, it is similar to a "Washingtona Manual" sort of presentation. Let me know if you are interested.

Q, DO

The above mentioned book is a reasonably good book, and it is quite reasonable to manage (ie. if you read 20 pages a night you can finish it in a month.) I bought that book myself this past month and has read many of its chapters (if I haven't log on to SDN as often I might have actually finished it... :p). Since I am going into IM I am keeping it for my residency, along with my Pocket Medicine and Wash manual.

Also, if you want some bare minimums first, go read the wash manual's renal section, and section on lupus, diabetes and dialysis. That should get you by your first few days.

There are 2 books which I think are nice for a nephro rotation. First is "Renal Pathophysiology-the essentials" by Rose and Rennke (Rose is the UpToDate guy). It's a nice concise text that covers most of the major renal diseases. The other one, which might be hard to get a hold of, is "Manual of Clinical Dialysis" by Suhail Ahmad. It's kinda dry, and can be a bit technical, but since no one really effectively explains how dialysis works in med school, it's good to get the basics of how it works, and to get down the terminology.