Nephrology Boards Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timurx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really struggling here but I completed a Nephrology fellowship and studied a decent amount for boards only to find out today that I failed (barely). Its super duper upsetting, embarrassing, etc etc. Its just so difficult to deal with at this stage of training. Honestly, the implications don't mean much other than re-taking it next year but still I truly don't know what went wrong (other than I suck at tests and they truly never equate to my ability and knowledge, but alas).

My question really is for people who have studied and passed Nephrology boards (last year had an abysmal 74% pass rate):
- What resources were super high-yield
- Is there a good question bank one can suggest
- What resources are a waste of time?
- Any other tips?

I'm really dragon re-studying for this (and paying for it) but oh well. Tips would help immensely.

Sending lots of love and good wishes to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll tell you what I did. I was sent to the ASN board review as a fellow which was very comprehensive. I did not look back at it all but rather I looked at my in-service exam and reviewed topics that were my weakest from the ASN material. There are KSAP and NephSap questions as well.

The reason pass rate is an abysmal 74% is because programs take anyone who applies. There is no filter what so ever. This goes back to programs just looking for a warm body to cover their night call rather than training enough fellows to have a sustainable specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
timurx your post prompted me to look up my score, because I did not receive any emails that they were out. This was my 3rd time taking nephrology boards. It was crushing to fail it fresh out of fellowship, when I had the most preparation. It was even more difficult the second time after a year of practicing. Luckily I was able to pass it this time, but this exam is not easy!
One thing I did differently this time was to skip the review books and go straight to the textbook. I read Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology cover to cover. It sounds like a time-waster, but I had never had a chance to read the text before, and the level of understanding it gave me made a huge difference. I also used a renal physiology text and did all the KSAPs.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
timurx your post prompted me to look up my score, because I did not receive any emails that they were out. This was my 3rd time taking nephrology boards. It was crushing to fail it fresh out of fellowship, when I had the most preparation. It was even more difficult the second time after a year of practicing. Luckily I was able to pass it this time, but this exam is not easy!
One thing I did differently this time was to skip the review books and go straight to the textbook. I read Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology cover to cover. It sounds like a time-waster, but I had never had a chance to read the text before, and the level of understanding it gave me made a huge difference. I also used a renal physiology text and did all the KSAPs.

Best of luck!
Wow! First off, congrats I'm so happy you finally got it! To read CCN cover to cover is really daunting and I just don't know if it'll stick that way. Perhaps SOME chapters. I was 3 points (just 3 points!!) from passing too which is just crazy. I'm trying to look at it as a positive -- I honestly sorta enjoyed reviewing the material again and don't know when else I would have had to know nephrology more hence I'm sure going through it again won't be bad. But I will definitely have to be more thorough and look at my weaker areas to focus on those.

I will also do KSAPs. Which Renal Physio book did you like?

The reason pass rate is an abysmal 74% is because programs take anyone who applies. There is no filter what so ever. This goes back to programs just looking for a warm body to cover their night call rather than training enough fellows to have a sustainable specialty.
That may be true but I'm not in that group and actually tried. Which is sorta sadder? I guess I was just off that day, don't know what to say. That being said, taken as a whole, they need to re-evaluate the difficulty of the exam overall so as to pass more people. It can't just be the examinees, its a reflection of SOME of deficiency. I mean compare it to the other ABIM specialty pass rates. INCLUDING other non-competitive specialities (ID, Endo, Rheum, etc).

That may be true but I'm not in that group and actually tried. Which is sorta sadder? I guess I was just off that day, don't know what to say. That being said, taken as a whole, they need to re-evaluate the difficulty of the exam overall so as to pass more people. It can't just be the examinees, its a reflection of SOME of deficiency. I mean compare it to the other ABIM specialty pass rates. INCLUDING other non-competitive specialities (ID, Endo, Rheum, etc).
I really do not think that the neph specialty board exam has increased in difficulty over the years. The quality of applicants have declined, but thats commensurate with the compensation. 20 yrs ago when neph was still lucrative, it had high caliber graduates. A lot of older nephrologists are rolling their eyes at the type of people these fellowships are taking.

Hi guys...
I wrote my exam on Nov 18 2020
Yet the website still says results not yet available.. did u guys write ur nephrology exam in 2020? Does that mean i failed it?

Thanks in advance

https://www.asn-online.org/publications/kidneynews/archives/2020/KN_2020_02_feb.pdf

I'm quoting from ASN's own newsletter:

“Candidates who completed the nephrology certification exam had the lowest scores on the internal medicine certification exam compared to other subspecialties,” said Bradley Brossman, PhD, vice president of psychometrics at ABIM. “Ten years ago, candidates who completed the nephrology certification exam had among the highest scores on the internal medicine certification exam compared to other subspecialties.”

“Another factor could be that some fellows are not pursuing nephrology certification because their ultimate goal is the higher-paying field of being a hospitalist—perhaps with special expertise in nephrology—according to ASN Executive Vice President Tod Ibrahim “

Bottom line is money. High paying specialty attract high caliber applicants.