Need some help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeGOAT James

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my undergrad and did very well. I plan on studying for my MCAT's throughout the year and applying next summer. I am confident in myself, and I feel like I will eventually get into medical schools when the time comes. Off course not overly confident, but I don't feel like my chances of getting into medical school will require a miracle.

However, I am having a difficult time dealing with family pressure. My family makes very little money, thus there is a large amount of pressure that my father puts on me to make money immediately. It's summer break and he constantly feels the need to remind me. I am working next year as a research technician for a pharma company and will be making approximately 42 K. I plan on giving as much as I can to him but he still continues to say things like "that's too little", "your comp sci friends are making triple", etc. It's honestly getting to a point where making a decision to become a doctor, and not making any "good" money for the next 8 years seems like a burden. My father isn't educated and although admits becoming a doctor has great amounts of prestige and respect, constantly continues to question me. My mother who is educated has been my support and my strength. At times where I began to question my decision to go into medicine she reminds me of why I chose to go down this path.

I definitely want to be a doctor, and can't see myself doing anything else. Does anyone have any experience on how to deal with issues like this? I can't continue to just force myself to take a nap when he goes on these outbursts and money hungry rants

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry about what you are going through. I always have to remind myself that this is your life and you have to live it and make the necessary decisions that YOU think are going to make your life as best as it can be. I hate to say this bc its your dad but toxic family members that you allow to get into your head are only projecting their unhappiness on to you. If you're optimistic, you can think of it as your dad is pushing you to be better. (BTW 42k is damn good as a fresh college graduate, congrats!) I hope this helps! good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I can relate to your troubles. The one piece of advice I can offer is to keep an open dialogue and never say anything you'll regret.

Congrats on the awesome position!