Need some advice on apps and life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm think I'm applying this year and when I apply I should have about a 3.4c and 3.2-3.3s. I have not yet taken the MCAT but I do not intend to apply if I score less than 509- my plan was to apply to all FL and TX schools in addition to all HBCUs (I'm URM). In addition, I've given thought to applying D.O. but I know very little about that app process. Does anyone have any advice they can give me?

Also, I tend to feel inferior seeing as I come from an HBCU with a less than stellar GPA. I feel like such a loser because I'm already 25 and I still feel like I've achieved nothing. I come from a rough upbringing and KNOW I should be happy that I graduate soon but I feel like a perpetual loser.

Members don't see this ad.

Do well (505+) on the MCAT and you should be fine for MD. Provided you have good ECs, clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, and shadowing

Do well (505+) on the MCAT and you should be fine for MD. Provided you have good ECs, clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, and shadowing

Really, its that simple?

I think I have good ECs but they're probably just okay: hospice volunteering, physician shadowing (EM & IM), leadership positions, research (organic chemistry), a summer research program and I may be taking a graduate anatomy course this Summer. In addition, I'm part of the Honors college

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably post this in the WAMC thread to get some more advice but from my understanding, 3.4 and a 505 as an URM is fine for MD. I recommend some nonclinical volunteering though (like soup kitchen, tutoring kids in undeserved areas etc...)

You should probably post this in the WAMC thread to get some more advice but from my understanding, 3.4 and a 505 as an URM is fine for MD. I recommend some nonclinical volunteering though (like soup kitchen, tutoring kids in undeserved areas etc...)

I have before but they're not very helpful unless you have an MCAT sore already. Thanks for the help! I do actually have nonclinical volunteering (tutoring) but I could always use more.

Are you a Texas resident?

Your GPA is fine, focus on the MCAT first.

I'm a FL resident but I have relatives in Texas (but no strong ties).
TMDSAS app is cheap so it's worth a shot but it is very hard to get into Texas schools as an OOS. If your MCAT score puts you in the 90th percentile for some Texas schools then definitely apply.

I have one more question: due to some prior research engagements I'm somewhat sure that I want to peruse neurosurgery and I know that going to a "top ranked" school helps in matching into this specialty. What kind of MCAT score would I need to get to even get a glance from a Top 20 (or do I need to go to one at all)?

Has anyone done an NIH IRTA post-bac? I'm thinking of doing an NIH IRTA post-bac in neuroscience but I'm wondering if this would help my app at concerning top schools?