Need some advice for plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license2kill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the OML for HPSP for the Army. With the time ticking close to the start of D school- I don't know what I need to do.

I have read up on 3 yr HPSP with and without 20K bonus, but I don't know what would be the best for me.

I wish to specialize if give the opportunity, so the 3 yr HPSP with 20k bonus seems like the right option for me, but I feal like I am missing out on so much (1 yr of tuition + stipend).

Or should I look into something like the HSCP in the Navy. I figured if I wasn't going to get the full benefit of HPSP, then I might as well take HSCP so that when I start as a Captain's equivalent in the Navy, I will be paid with 4 yrs in rather than with 0 yrs service.

What do you guys think I should do? Also, I have heard about this "OCT 1" thingy, what is all that about?

Look below in your message:

I am on the OML for HPSP for the Army. With the time ticking close to the start of D school- I don't know what I need to do.

I have read up on 3 yr HPSP with and without 20K bonus, but I don't know what would be the best for me. OML - I've been in the military for 10 years and haven't heard of that acronym. I also looked up acronym lists on the internet and couldn't find one that would fit this situation. Please expand.

I wish to specialize if give the opportunity, so the 3 yr HPSP with 20k bonus seems like the right option for me, but I feal like I am missing out on so much (1 yr of tuition + stipend). You really don't have a choice but miss out on the year. If they are out, they are out. If you want in the military, then you will have to take what you get even if it forces you to miss out on getting a year paid for. It would be unfortunate for you that if you were go get a 3 yr and decided to specialize that you couldn't have had the advantage of a 4 yr, but if the option isn't there- oh well.

Or should I look into something like the HSCP in the Navy. I figured if I wasn't going to get the full benefit of HPSP, then I might as well take HSCP so that when I start as a Captain's equivalent in the Navy, I will be paid with 4 yrs in rather than with 0 yrs service.

What do you guys think I should do? Also, I have heard about this "OCT 1" thingy, what is all that about? What should you do? Well, that really is your choice. If there are HSCP scholarships available and you want to be in the Navy, then go for it. But the financial bebefits of the military programs seem to be a critical factor in your decisionl, so you had better make sure that the HSCP is financially beneficial for you. As for The OCT1 thig, that is the governmet's fiscal year. The funding for all government things is planned and paid out based on a fiscal year calander (OCT 1 to SEP 30). So, since the HPSP scholarships are all accounted for for the cuurrent fiscal year, the funding for next year's scholarships will be available come OCT 1.

I have read up on 3 yr HPSP with and without 20K bonus, but I don't know what would be the best for me.

I wish to specialize if give the opportunity, so the 3 yr HPSP with 20k bonus seems like the right option for me, but I feal like I am missing out on so much (1 yr of tuition + stipend).

What do you guys think I should do? Also, I have heard about this "OCT 1" thingy, what is all that about?

The "OCT 1 thingy" does not apply to the Army. If you get picked up for a scholarship - it will be for 3 yrs beginning at the start of D2.

I would recommend taking some trips and checking out the bases to see which lifestyle suits you best - Army, Navy, or AF. There's a few of us that can help you coordinate visits if you want them.

The "OCT 1 thingy" does not apply to the Army. If you get picked up for a scholarship - it will be for 3 yrs beginning at the start of D2.

I would recommend taking some trips and checking out the bases to see which lifestyle suits you best - Army, Navy, or AF. There's a few of us that can help you coordinate visits if you want them.

What are you talkig about? All branches of the government follow the OCT 1 thingy. Why do you claim the Army is different?

What are you talkig about? All branches of the government follow the OCT 1 thingy. Why do you claim the Army is different?

My understanding of his question is that he is referring to what Navy HPSP guys are talking about - that after Oct 1 new money is available and scholarships can be offered and taken immediately and those semesters paid for immediately.

The Army doesn't do that. The boards will select and award the scholarships after Oct 1, but they won't begin paying on them until the start of the next school year (unless specific exemptions are granted).

So if someone is a D1 and receives the Army scholarship in Dec 2009, they Army will only pay for 3 yrs beginning D2 year.

My understanding of his question is that he is referring to what Navy HPSP guys are talking about - that after Oct 1 new money is available and scholarships can be offered and taken immediately and those semesters paid for immediately.

The Army doesn't do that. The boards will select and award the scholarships after Oct 1, but they won't begin paying on them until the start of the next school year (unless specific exemptions are granted).

So if someone is a D1 and receives the Army scholarship in Dec 2009, they Army will only pay for 3 yrs beginning D2 year.

Fair enough - your explanation explains what you mean, but the Army still does the OCT 1 thingy. the start selecting after OCT 1 for the next year. They just don't retroactively pay for tuition for that current year. The individuals must wait until the following year.

Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate it.:)
As for me, the financial aspect is one of the main reasons for me to join, but I also feel like I have a duty to serve my country as well.

As for which branch, I don't really have a preference. My father is prior army, so that is why I applied for the Army HPSP, but I am open to other branches. (AF- better bases, Navy- sometimes stuck on a boat but bases are near coasts, Army- a little more gungho, but that is the way I was brought up by my father.)

I just wish to maximize benefits, given that I already have a heart to serve in the military.

So, the Navy is the only branch with the Oct 1 "thingy" (as we all called it for simplicity sake) where they would pay retroactive tuition?

Also, do you guys know if the HSCP is finished for this year?
This is how I reasoned for the HSCP being a potential alternative.

When I calculated the HPSP full benefit with stipend, 20K bonus and MY school's tuition (30K/yr) vs HSCP, it was a difference of about 40K total in favor of HPSP.

But then I reasoned that HSCP give me Captain equivalent with 4 yrs of service as far as pay goes, thus makes up the difference somewhat. And to top it all off I would be able to have health insurance for my wife and son and myself with the HSCP route.

Accurate depiction?

My army recruiter is insinuating that I have some sort of hope for the 4yr HPSP, but he keeps on refering to the statement, "when the guidelines come out from the Army" in mid August. Is this just bs?

Did something change recently with this Oct 1 talk? My DOS is 10/12, I took loans out for my first year, applied for Army HPSP just after school started, got accepted after Oct 1 and signed Oct 12. The Army then paid my first year tuition, and the school returned my loans for that year. I am a 4 year HPSP recipient.

I think if you can get the army hpsp anytime before your 1st semester ends then they will pay for that. the army used to offer 3.5 year scholarships when the demand was lower but I don't think that is a possibility anymore. I highly doubt there are totally out of scholarships right now. Maybe all of them have been OFFERED but not accepted yet. Your recruiter needs to get in contact with some hpsp cordinator in Virginia or Roxane Flores in Texas to find out exactly if the 4 years are ALL taken up.

Did something change recently with this Oct 1 talk? My DOS is 10/12, I took loans out for my first year, applied for Army HPSP just after school started, got accepted after Oct 1 and signed Oct 12. The Army then paid my first year tuition, and the school returned my loans for that year. I am a 4 year HPSP recipient.

You were selected last year when they didn't meet their quota - so they had the money sitting around and could pay the instant you were picked up. This year all scholarships have been given out, and the allotted amount of money has been obligated. The Army will typically not pull money from future years - they make a budget and stick to it :). If anyone pulls out then they will go to the waiting list.

I think if you can get the army hpsp anytime before your 1st semester ends then they will pay for that. the army used to offer 3.5 year scholarships when the demand was lower but I don't think that is a possibility anymore. I highly doubt there are totally out of scholarships right now. Maybe all of them have been OFFERED but not accepted yet. Your recruiter needs to get in contact with some hpsp cordinator in Virginia or Roxane Flores in Texas to find out exactly if the 4 years are ALL taken up.

I guess this is what was meant when he talked about some "guidelines" that were suppose to be delegated from above.

OML= Order of Merit List

That's what my recruiter called it. Some fancy name for waitlist. Since it is "order of merit", I am guessing that it is ranked?

Correct. In the Army the selection board is made up of 5 individuals from different areas of healthcare. Each board will typically go through and rank individuals applying to come on active duty (direct accession or with HPSP) for nurses, vet, dental, medical service corps, and specialty corps. Individuals in each profession are ranked by all 5 members that vote and those numbers are tallied to create an OML or ranking system. That is then used as slots open up - the ones ranked highest are given first chance.

At different times of the year this varies. In January when the first Army board meets they may accept everyone who has a decent application. Later in the year as available scholarships start drying up they revert to the OML.

Take home message is apply early.

Correct. In the Army the selection board is made up of 5 individuals from different areas of healthcare. Each board will typically go through and rank individuals applying to come on active duty (direct accession or with HPSP) for nurses, vet, dental, medical service corps, and specialty corps. Individuals in each profession are ranked by all 5 members that vote and those numbers are tallied to create an OML or ranking system. That is then used as slots open up - the ones ranked highest are given first chance.

At different times of the year this varies. In January when the first Army board meets they may accept everyone who has a decent application. Later in the year as available scholarships start drying up they revert to the OML.

Take home message is apply early.

True, my application was pretty crappy and I wasn't matrix qualified but received the scholarship anyways. Tough to hear highly qualified people with prior military service not being able to get it.