All Branch Topic (ABT) Here's some Navy HSCP advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkflamemaster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently a D1 with the Navy HSCP scholarship. When I was applying, I didn't have a lot of help while applying and there wasn't a lot of guidance after I got the scholarship. I just want to give out some pointers, so feel free to ask questions or PM me. I am also trying to refer someone and for them to get either the HPSP or HSCP, so that I can get promoted to E7. In the end, I benefit as well so PM if you can help me out too!

- Apply early as you can, but even though I applied late, I still got it, so there is always hope!
(Got everything in early in the year, got accepted in late summer before dental school started)

- The reason to apply early is because during the application, some of my stuff got lost and I had to resend them. If you have a lot of previous medical records, some hospitals will take their sweet time to send your records, or even flat out FORGET! This kind of contributed to my late app.

- Keep up with everything every week, don't let it slip.

- I've heard from some others and have speculated myself that recruiters put those with higher scores as a priority, and if you feel like your recruiter isn't prioritizing you, don't be afraid to find a new one. That being said, recognize they are very busy and have a lot of paperwork to deal with.

- You can apply for both the HSCP and HPSP at the same time, so it doesn't hurt.

- For the HSCP only, before selections, you will also have a phone interview and skype interview with a current dentist in the Navy. It’s very relaxed so be honest, they also have good advice to give and will answer questions, so take advantage of that.

- Once accepted, there is more paperwork and you will get paid based on your rank (E6), BAH, and BAS. BAH depends on where you live and you can google that. I get about 1750ish per two weeks. It will increase each year too.

- I had to submit all the classes I was going to take for those 4 years of dental school to the Navy.

- For the HSCP only, you will have to do the PRT (1.5 mile run, push-ups, sit-ups) 2 times a year. I did mine in October and May for D1. If you don’t ever work out, it’s going to be difficult to fit in gym time with all the classes you are taking. Make sure to keep working out!

- You have monthly meetings with your recruiter, theses are very relaxed though, just an update on how everything is going in school. Most are on the phone, some are in person.

- HSCP is most beneficial for those who were previously in the military, I was not but I still am glad I chose this program.

- You need to maintain over a 2.7 GPA

- You are considered active duty, you get a DOD ID card, health insurance is included, take advantage of those military discounts if you want too, like cheap tickets to theme parks, etc.

- For after dental school, I am not sure about all the details but here’s what I’ve heard:

- You do get paid more than HPSP people while in, after ODS

- The years you do in dental school count towards your 20 year retirement (but this may be changing, I’m not sure)

- I’ve heard its 4 years active duty, 4 years inactive reserves

- If you are put on a ship, sometimes it can be a few months or 6 months, depends on where you are stationed, etc.

- there are always ups and downs and I heard paperwork can be a hassle.

Hopefully I covered everything, If have any questions or need clarifying PM me or just ask.

If anyone can help me with getting to E7, PM me please, thanks.

Also anyone finds anything wrong, please let me know and I can fix it immediately.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users