Need recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tinker Creek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you are s. indian here but here goes
So I'm visiting India (madras) in August and was wondering if there were any clubs/bars/ etc that you've particularly been to and liked... or just any place that's worth visiting. Right now, the places on my list are Spencers (yes the mall), t. nagar (don't laugh) some relatives' places and maybe a hilly resort. But that's about it. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ha ha- I opened the thread with the thought that someone needs help with how to get Professional recommendations!!

But well, I have been in Madras- in 2004. Spencer is a good place to be- a huge supermarket- but as guys don´t much like the supermarket things-except for the convenience- i didn´t really dig it much!

about nightlife- i can tell you some

Hotel Savera- Bamboo bar was a nice little place- it is a dark place with dingy lights where you feel like u are in some Gangster´s company! the abmbience is well misused by the local underage girls to get adventure of tasting alcohol.- Ya- i did see little bunches of 15-16 year olds having cocktails there! Yucky! :eek:

Zara´s Tapas bar is a inda pub- and it´s a cool place- but they want people to be Welldressed! They almost denied me entrance because i was wearing sneakers and not black shoes! but i told them that i am a doctor and just a tourist around- they let me in- for a cover charge of 400 rupees!

Most of the fun I had was orented around the Nungambakkam road area.

There was some open-air restaurant with bars- I am forgetting the name- near the airport circle on the outskirts- which is good for adventurous tourists like me- but not recommendable for ladies at all!

the Must Trys there are

Chicken Chettinadu- Highly recommended! actually all Chettinadu cuisine.
Madras Fish curry
Biryani´s- In chennai they serve Biryani with Rasam- which is kinda new for me but i liked the combo!

DrGarfield said:
Ha ha- I opened the thread with the thought that someone needs help with how to get Professional recommendations!!

But well, I have been in Madras- in 2004. Spencer is a good place to be- a huge supermarket- but as guys don´t much like the supermarket things-except for the convenience- i didn´t really dig it much!

about nightlife- i can tell you some

Hotel Savera- Bamboo bar was a nice little place- it is a dark place with dingy lights where you feel like u are in some Gangster´s company! the abmbience is well misused by the local underage girls to get adventure of tasting alcohol.- Ya- i did see little bunches of 15-16 year olds having cocktails there! Yucky! :eek:

Zara´s Tapas bar is a inda pub- and it´s a cool place- but they want people to be Welldressed! They almost denied me entrance because i was wearing sneakers and not black shoes! but i told them that i am a doctor and just a tourist around- they let me in- for a cover charge of 400 rupees!

Most of the fun I had was orented around the Nungambakkam road area.

There was some open-air restaurant with bars- I am forgetting the name- near the airport circle on the outskirts- which is good for adventurous tourists like me- but not recommendable for ladies at all!

the Must Trys there are

Chicken Chettinadu- Highly recommended! actually all Chettinadu cuisine.
Madras Fish curry
Biryani´s- In chennai they serve Biryani with Rasam- which is kinda new for me but i liked the combo!

wow, never knew madras could be this hoppin. Thanks dr.garfield! I can't wait!
(p.s. yea, I have a lot of recs for biryani places though! :) )

Members don't see this ad :)
some other words of wisdom about chennai-

Never get rude with any local- they are usually high tempered, always ready to putup fights!

The city sleeps early- Yes- even Bars and clubs close down at 11!! Stupid ain´t it? but it´s that way! so get in there early. take dinner early cause after 10 usually u will find nothing!

Make it a point to see the sunrise at the marina beach (The unfortunate Tsunami beach) - try the freshly fried fishes and the vegetable pakoras at the beach- but please find out a clean place to do this experiment. They are a nice treat to palate but shouldn´t hurt the health!

try to visit the VGP Golden beach- that´s a beautiful place. an absolute must!

Barma bazar in chennai is worth a stroll- butnot worth a buy! if you want to buy, bargain like hell.

expect traffic jams! and when it lasts longer, expect some big shot politician in convoy- I faced that usually twice everyday!! Ha ha!!

If you are planning to move around, pay a visit to Mahabalipuram (Mamallapuram) it´s worth. I know the thousands years old temples too got disturbed by the tsunami- i don´t know to what extent though!

the Butter rock is there in mahabalipuram
5986.jpg

inds0006.jpg

india_mahabalibalipuram.jpg

DrGarfield said:
some other words of wisdom about chennai-

Never get rude with any local- they are usually high tempered, always ready to putup fights!

The city sleeps early- Yes- even Bars and clubs close down at 11!! Stupid ain´t it? but it´s that way! so get in there early. take dinner early cause after 10 usually u will find nothing!

Make it a point to see the sunrise at the marina beach (The unfortunate Tsunami beach) - try the freshly fried fishes and the vegetable pakoras at the beach- but please find out a clean place to do this experiment. They are a nice treat to palate but shouldn´t hurt the health!

try to visit the VGP Golden beach- that´s a beautiful place. an absolute must!

Barma bazar in chennai is worth a stroll- butnot worth a buy! if you want to buy, bargain like hell.

expect traffic jams! and when it lasts longer, expect some big shot politician in convoy- I faced that usually twice everyday!! Ha ha!!

If you are planning to move around, pay a visit to Mahabalipuram (Mamallapuram) it´s worth. I know the thousands years old temples too got disturbed by the tsunami- i don´t know to what extent though!

the Butter rock is there in mahabalipuram
5986.jpg

inds0006.jpg

india_mahabalibalipuram.jpg

Nice pictures!
Dr.G, I lived there for 16 years! hehe. Still, your advice is invaluable,coz I'm going there after 9 years, so it's all going to be so new to me. I have relatives near the beach (triplicane) and I've been to marina many times. Although I'm not sure if it's still ok to go there after the tsunami. Oh yea, the mammallapuram, I'd love to go there and take tons of pictures... both mahabalipuram and vgp were so close and yet I've been there only once. YOu know what I can't wait for? The sundal they sell in rolled up paper packets!

I was also going to rent a car or something, but I'm told that it's not so safe to be drivin around in that traffic. Everyone's like, alot has changed since you left! I have no idea what I'm in for! :)
And oh yea, I can speak ghetto tamil very well and I'll probably wear the locals out!

My list is getting better.. thanks!

Tinker Creek said:
Nice pictures!
Dr.G, I lived there for 16 years! hehe.

Ha ha, now i feel like a stupid!! giving advises to someone who knows some better!
Anyways!
I had a friend working at the Chennai Apollo hospital and i moved around chennai on his bike- for around a week with a Sirdar friend of mine and we had a great time.
The traffic gets a problem and the drivers are not disciplined as well, but with bike it gets easier!

Tinker Creek said:
it's our thalaivar!

or is it rajnikanth.... :confused: the marathi speaking bus conductor turned tamil super star

DrGarfield said:
Ha ha, now i feel like a stupid!! giving advises to someone who knows some better!
Anyways!
I had a friend working at the Chennai Apollo hospital and i moved around chennai on his bike- for around a week with a Sirdar friend of mine and we had a great time.
The traffic gets a problem and the drivers are not disciplined as well, but with bike it gets easier!
No no, your help is much appreciated! I know nothing about the night life there. Plus, I was only a teen when I left, so I've no clue of these places you mention. I'm planning on checking out a few thanks to you!

allergic2morons said:
or is it rajnikanth.... :confused: the marathi speaking bus conductor turned tamil super star
yea he is, thalaivar is just one of his handles.