Which med school is recommended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

i recommend going to canada for med school if that is where u want to practice. if not, i recommend east europe for med school. although it would be easier to do it in punjab why not experience a new country. havent been to chandigargh but my guess is it is a boring ass town. if u wanna go to india try goa or bombay. they r more fun. of course it is a trade off between ur aunt's channa or an interesting experience. it would be hard to have a decent college life and live with relatives. u can always visit them.

also what speciality r u planning on doing. (cant find the question mark on this german keyboard.) if it is anything other than fp, im or psych stay in canada. whatever u do, visit the med school b4 joining. either waz i feel u r making a grave error in going to med school in india. neither woud it be fun nor good for ur carreer. atleast poland would be fun, especially if you are a heterosexual male and like women. it would be tough but worth it. i went to med school in india and have talked to many who have gone to east europe. they all enjoyed it and go back even after they r done. i dont see many of my classmates going back to india much. going to canada would be good for ur carreer and ur mojo as well. going to india would be bad for both. going to india is almost equal to going to a monastery. if you dont have a libido then this would be no problem. also look into the carribean as well. atleast u do rotations in the us. i doubt ur aunts rajma or chicken makhani is worth ruining ur mojo nor ur carreer over.

also i feel any1 starting med school is too young to make up their mind about which specialitty. what if u like ortho or derm. well be ready to do fp in a one horse town or a inner citz ghetto. (no channa to be found in either place.)

also ur ancetry dont mean jack when an indian college selects u. an eskimo with $ has a better shot than a broke pajee or desi.
please dont go to india. u r making a grave mistake.

Members don't see this ad :)
usually the best med schools in india dont have nri seats i think. AIMS in Dehli i think is supposedly the best med school in India. I agree u should not base your decision on which school is the best to get laid at. however you should operate under the assumption later on you may like ortho or derm and go to the school that offers the best hope of accomplishing this. But only once in your life you are 18. You will never be able to have a proper college experience in a one horse town in india. I recommend a larger city like bangalore, bombay or somewhere near goa. I believe med school is important yet possibly over 70-80% of what u need to know in day to day practice is learned in residency. Thus it is better to go to the worst med school in canada than the best one in india as the canadian school will get u in the best residency. (And you may get laid more.) I know it is tough getting in a canadian med school but it is tougher getting an ortho residency coming from a foreign school. Also your usmle score will be higher coming from a us (or canadian) school. i believe the best option is to do undergrad in canada or us. if u dont get into med school go to a 4 year med school in the carribean or poland. i guess there r no 4 year programs in india. (there might be one in manipal.) i notice some people of indian origin fear going to strange countries as they think there wont be any indian food or indian people around. the med schools of the carribean and east europe are packed with indians. the cafeteria in this med school in poland even had indian vegetaranian food.

all logic dictates to stay in canada or the us. without going to med school you are not ready to choose what speciality you want. i cant imagine doing anything other than psych. i have seen so many imgs stuck with IM or family. they couold have been great surgeons or radiologists. it is quite depressing to see them do something they dont like for the rest of their life just because they were too scared to apply to a canadian or us school. one should not be scared to pursue one's aspirations. it is worth the risk. if u dont get in, go to a 4 year program in the carribean or east europe or even there r some programs in uk and ireland (chicken tikka is the national dish of uk.) the pani puree may not be that good there but it will be an adventure. so many nris think the only 2 places in the world r north america and india.

dont rob yourself the opportunity to do med school in canada. i believe the difficulty is overhyped as i saw some med schools in america taking people with an avg gpa of 3.3 or so. of course it is not harvard. but most med schools r not as hard as harvard. also there is DO (osteopathic) schools.

on another note, if u do med school abroad, u may end up in a one horse town with not one indian person. for 5 years u maybe eating the best pani puree but then u will end up in a town where u wont even find a dosa.

another fact is that i beleive 30-45% of the nris in my college dropped out or in the end didnt do medicine. however in a us school i believe the drop out rate is lower. maybe some of those that dropped out went to med school else where.

i know 3 friends that didnt match this year. that must be the worst feeling. if u dont match u lose a year. if u dont get into a canadian med school u go to the carribean or europe. there is no big loss. even if u only have a 20% chance of getting into a canadian or us med school it is well worth the risk. the only loss is not having good pani puri and having to take a mcat or the canadian equivalent.

my point is dont be narrow minded and focused on going to india. look at the big picture. i know it sounds cool to be in med school at 18. but getting into a med school is only the first step. getting a ortho (go on the assumption u like ortho) residency is many steps ahead.

with all this, what is the advantage of going to india??? u can even go to AIMS but what will this accomplish for you and your carreer that a us or kanuck med school couldnt?

additonally i forgot to mention most med schools in india dont care where u r born or what high school u went to. they just care about the $$. if the med schools in india had any choice, they would take only nris as they can charge them more. they had a court decision about a decade ago which stipulates how many merits and locals they have to take. so u being born in chandigargh doesnt mean much. u will soon learn how things r india. but just to humor me, look into 4 year programs in other countries. then consider doing undergrad in canada. u will not regret it especially if u get into a canadian med school and see all the stuggling imgs. do not sell urself short by going to india. before u make up ur mind, go to the local kaplan test prep center (do they have them in canada?) and meet some imgs. see how hard it is for them. when u talk to img docs make sure they are not those that did residency 30 years ago. the market has changed a lot since the golden era of medicine back in the 70s.

also i noticed a lot of canadian imgs are coming to the us for residency as canada is not img friendly. then u have the visa limitation when u come here to the us. a kanuck friend of mine had a great score but did not match so he went back to canada. all this country hopping is tough and may not get u anywhere. make a decision tree and u will see my logic. if u have ur mind set on india, u can always do some international electives or spend a year in india doing some volunteer work.

but dont do med school in india. it makes no sense. the only advanage is there is a 20-30% chance u may save time and u dont have to take a med school entrance exam. the drawback is u may not match or u may end up doing something u dont like for the rest of your life.

i have done my research by going to 49 interviews where i met numerous imgs. i have been to interviews with no imgs to all imgs. 90% of your knowledge comes from residency and the differences in med schools in india are meaningless on match day. sorry to say, no one here cares what med school in india u went to much less would they be able to pronounce the name. the less curry you have on your CV the better. i dont agree with this but that is how it is.

you are not saving money by going to a govt med school in the long run. think of lost earnings and other costs.

i have interviewed at 1 out of 3 psych programs in the country so i have done my research and do know whats up. and i have gotten a good residency as well. i got into a university program in kansas city. kansas city is not as hip as toronto but neither is it a ghetto or one horse town. i am happy. . if you are an img to get a residency of your choice in a university program means success. however many imgs are not so lucky.

in the us 45% of the imgs dont even match. i fear this is higher in canada. that is why so many kanuck imgs come here.

also what speciality do you want to do? i feel you are way too young to know. only in your 3rd year will you know. hell, sometimes residents even change their mind and dont know. point is by going to india you are shutting the door on 90% of the specialities. even if u get IM you will not get cardio.

i admit i dont know much about all the different med schools in india. yet u should try and look beyond med school into the match process. whether u go to one or the other med school is insignificant in terms of getting a residency. i know it is not. if u have got into one of the toughest schools u should have a shot at getting into a canadian med school.

basically most of those thinking about going into med school in india fail to appreciate the difficulties in the match. they resign themselves with notions that they can get 99 or even 90 on the usmle. even if u work your ass off this is not always possible.

so if you go to med school in india lets operate under the assumption u get somewhere on the mid 80's on the usmle and that you want ortho. what do u feel are the chances of getting a ortho residency in canada? what are the chances of getting one in the us.

also this is very important. i am a us citizen and the us is img friendly. canada is not judging from the many canadian imgs i have seen in america trying to get into a residency here. one who got near 80 scores did not match. he went back to canada. he told me that it was an uphill battle due to the visa limitation. i have talked to others who think canada is way to hard so r trying here. thus u will be limited to residencies in america that offer visa sponsorship. if u go to a canadian med school u have a better chance of going to america and a 100x better chance of getting a residency in canada. before u make ur decision please talk to a canadian img who is more familiar with it.

as for your question i am not familiar with any of the northern med schools. i went to bangalore. i believe bangalore is one of the best places to live in india.

in any case u state it is hard to get into a canadian med school. yet it is even harder to get a residency in canada for an img. why not give it a shot and try. if u dont succeed u have a back up. if u dont match what is your back up. make a flow chart and u will see my logic. and please visit your local kaplan (or usmle prep center.) talk to some imgs and see what they say about canada. are you open to coming to america or practicing in india? also i feel people r more familiar with the reputation of carribean schools. if u get into the best carribean school and do rotations in canada and the us u will be better off than a good indian school. on the flip side the worst carribean school is worse than going to the worse indian med school. also certain states in america dont recognize certain med schools. mine was recognized so do your homework thoroughly. please try and look beyond getting into med school to getting into residency and if u r ready to close the door on 90% of the specialities and practicing in your home country. also perhaps find out about applying to us med schools and DO schools and the feasibility of coming back to canada. this might be a better idea. to sum things up, unless you r ready to do family practice in mobile alabama or a sweat shop in the bronx dont go to india. dont say u werent warned. i dont mean to be harsh but i believe what i say is the truth.

also u think you are saving money by getting in by merit. in the long tern u will lose money by getting into a low paying field. a cardiologist makes about 5 times as much as a famliy doc. also i must have spent 100,000$ going to 49 interviews and doing externships in beverly hills and south beachalso that 5.5 years and you get ur mbbs is false as u will spend about another 2 years getting ur residency. u only have 3 years left of undergrad so finish it up. also since u already did a year perhaps u will be eligible for some 4 year programs in europe and the carribean. personally i would go to eastern europe as it is more fun and cheap. it is in some ways cheaper than india.

right now you think i am antagonistic and false. however i bet when you are applyin for residency you will realize i am right. also i fear it will get tougher as the uk is impossible for imgs and many of those imgs are gonna come to america. laws and the market can change here for the worse. is not your choice to go to india fraught with risk and illogic?

let me summarize. you say you will save money. not likely in the long run. you say you are going to a reputed med school in india. will not make a difference and you will be limited in all likelyhood to 3 specialities and not even in canada. where is the logic in going to india now? try for canada. if you dont get in then u have a back up option.