MD & DO Need help changing careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonelegger1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN community, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am currently beginning the path to medical school, and I am looking into postbac programs. I have applied to several, but I am not sure I'm heading down the best path. My undergrad cGPA: 2.76 and sGPA: 2.36 leave much to be desired. I graduated in '06 and completed Calc, Chem, Phys, and Biol, with labs in only Chem and Phys, and did generally poor the sciences. I completed a graduate certificate program at Northwestern in Prosthetics with a cGPA 0f 3.08. The difficulty I've found aside from the GPA requirements of most programs is that the postbacs require either having few to none of the prereqs or all of them. My plan (and this is where I'm not sure I'm going about this the best way) is to attend a postbac program in which I can retake and complete my prereqs to raise my GPA and take organic chemistry. The other options are of course, to just take a la carte classes at a local university to accomplish this or to take ochem and then apply for some of the academic enhancer postbac programs. In the community's infinite wisdom, what are some of the best postbac programs that I should be looking into (applied and haven't heard from Bryn Mawr, Northeastern, Meredith, and La Salle), and should I even be going the postbac route right now at all? Also, am I crazy for even thinking that I ultimately have a shot at a decent DO or MD school?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I practiced as a Resident in Prosthetics and a Certified Prosthetist for 3.5 years.

A post bac program isn't your best option or fastest. Your fastest is to do a do it yourself post bac where you basically retake all classes you got a F,D, or C in to get your cgpa around 3.4 and science around 3.2 and apply DO. DO does grade replacement so as long as you do this and do well on your mcat you can be ready to apply in a year or two depending on how many credits you take. Making it to where you are a decent MD candidate will take 5+ years and will still be a high risk road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A post bac program isn't your best option or fastest. Your fastest is to do a do it yourself post bac where you basically retake all classes you got a F,D, or C in to get your cgpa around 3.4 and science around 3.2 and apply DO. DO does grade replacement so as long as you do this and do well on your mcat you can be ready to apply in a year or two depending on how many credits you take. Making it to where you are a decent MD candidate will take 5+ years and will still be a high risk road.

What about PA programs? Would I be more suited for one of these programs if I went back and knocked dead the remaining prereqs?

What about PA programs? Would I be more suited for one of these programs if I went back and knocked dead the remaining prereqs?
I'm not too familiar with PA programs, but to my understanding they are still fairly competitive. I wouldn't be shocked if you needed at least above a 3.0 for them.