need help applying to combined programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babern

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been completing the eras stuff for programs applied to, but I was wondering what to do about combined programs where you might possibly be interviewed by both plastic and general surgery.

I don't know which programs do this, but I am wondering if I should also send some of my gen surg LOR. Any advice on what to do and which programs interview in this manner is appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i graduated from a combined program. true you do interview with a 1 maybe 2 of the GS guys but you interview with all the PS guys. only the PS guys sit in the rank meeting at our program. so for our combined, i would direct your packet towards the plastic rather than GS group as a whole. maybe others will post and give you a better idea about their programs so you can do the right thing

Like Plastikos, I can't speak for other programs. At my program, which had both combined and a fellow spot, the applicants did not interview with general surgery.

If I may, I would suggest that you include any letter that says good/great things about you. The type of things that get my attention is a GS letter that says "we would be happy to match so and so to our general surgery program" and not "we think he would be a good applicant to your program." (read...but not ours).

Cheers,

--M

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you apply to the combined programs? By this, I mean when I look for programs on FRIEDA I can narrow down all of the integrated programs and there are 26 results. But, how do I find which programs have combined programs and how do you apply to them specifically? Do you apply to the GS program and then note you want to do plastics? Thanks in advance....

You match through the NRMP for both the combined and integrated programs. If you search FREIDA for plastic surgery, it brings up all the programs. An independent spot (basically a fellowship after GS) is through the San Francisco Match.

The similarities/differences about the combined and integrated programs have been discussed elsewhere.

--Moravian