Integrated vs. Combined Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've researched the difference between Integrated vs. Combined programs, but what I can't seem to find is a list of Combined programs. Does anybody have a link, pdf, etc that lists these out? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe they're doing away with combined programs. You'll now (or in the next few years) need to complete the full GS residency before applying to the (now) 3 year plastics fellowships.

Correct. The ABPS and RRC-Plastic Surgery have directed combined programs to either convert to a true Integrated model or return to the Independent model. Most of them are in the process of becoming truly Integrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct. The ABPS and RRC-Plastic Surgery have directed combined programs to either convert to a true Integrated model or return to the Independent model. Most of them are in the process of becoming truly Integrated.

Thank you. Will this be finalized for the Match this year? In other words, are there no Combined programs this year as I am applying in a few months? Thanks in advance.

I think the Combined programs have been gone for a couple of years, but I've lost track of it. There should not be any more in the next Match.

This past year the list included UPenn, UCSF, SLU, Utah and at least 5 others. Emory was also technically in that category, even though their program is integrated (it was listed in ERAS under the combined route).

I think the mandatory phase out date is 2016, but you can check ACAPS. They should have the RRC info and pathway options (you can also try ACGME). There's no good way to know which programs will be listed this way. One program, Lehigh Valley, got approval for integrated mid cycle, so they switched from combined to integrated after apps had already gone in. When ERAS opens, the best way is to go to plastic surgery (not integrated, just plastic surgery), and search by each state. If the program is not frayed out, they have a pgy-1 combined style program.

Good luck!

There are some missing from that list - the two new ones this past cycle, UNC and LSU at least aren't on there

Anyone have a list of integrated plastics programs? It's too early to get onto ERAS and I'm beginning to plan for away rotations--a list would be helpful!

Thanks

Edit 3/1/14 nvm I found it. Here it is for anyone else

http://acaplasticsurgeons.org/multimedia/files/ACGME/Integrated-Plastic-Surgery-Programs.pdf

I would say that you are right on time to start planning aways. The spots for really popular programs fill up fast and early. Yes, combined programs are going the way of the dinosaurs -- it's just really inconvenient and senseless to be owned by General Surgery for 3 years and then Plastic Surgery for 3 years. The GS won't be invested in you and the plastic surgeons can't take care of you soon enough. Many programs are moving towards 2+4 but with all years being under the purview of Plastic Surgery divisions/departments.

Hey,

I know there were I believe 61 integrated programs this year. Anyone know if there are any programs that will be added to the NRMP match for next year's cycle? Doesn't seem like there is any info on this out there.

Thanks.