Applying to Integrated Plastics... Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeffgyps

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this year to integrated PRS. I have always wanted to be a plastic surgeon and am just nervous about the whole matching process and was hoping to get some feedback and thoughts on how my application compares to the rest of the pool.

My application is as follows:

Step 1: 248
Step 2CK: 255
Publications: 1 in PRS, 3 submitted manuscripts, 2 poster presentations, 3 publications as a medical illustrator
Honors in Gen Surg, Honors in Plastics, High pass surgery shelf
Applying to 65 of 72 programs
I did 3 aways in the southern california region, but am applying broadly and really have no geographic restrictions
4 letters of rec -3 of which are from chairmen at hospitals with integrated programs
AOA - unknown

I know that no one has the magic answer, but just wanted to get some feedback on thoughts from residents and professionals in the field. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Based upon the information provided, you have a good chance of matching into an integrated program. I would focus on doing really well at your interviews.

Some programs many wonder if you truly do not have a geographic restriction given that you did three aways in the southern california region. So prepare ahead of time for those types of interview questions. Keys to interviews are knowing yourself and your application really well and coming across as someone who residency programs can rely upon and trust throughout your training.

Agreed. The most important part of an application is likely the quality of a letter of recommendation. I think there was a Janis paper that showed this a few years ago. If a big hitter wrote you a letter that says you are an amazing applicant, you are likely to get a spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a third year (middle of the year, as it is December).

230 step 1
Will have an abstract in May submitted to ASRM ( related to not plastic... reproductive medicine, branch of OBGYN)
Working on a project with breast surgical oncology group
high pass in surgery (received honors from the chief of plastic surgery on eval.. he seems to really like me), honors in medicine, should high pass family medicine -- no other clerkships completed.

I am a pretty amiable person and feel less worried about interviewing and more worried about receiving interviews. So I guess the question is...

Will a 230 step 1 keep me from getting an interview?

I'm a third year (middle of the year, as it is December).

230 step 1
Will have an abstract in May submitted to ASRM ( related to not plastic... reproductive medicine, branch of OBGYN)
Working on a project with breast surgical oncology group
high pass in surgery (received honors from the chief of plastic surgery on eval.. he seems to really like me), honors in medicine, should high pass family medicine -- no other clerkships completed.

I am a pretty amiable person and feel less worried about interviewing and more worried about receiving interviews. So I guess the question is...

Will a 230 step 1 keep me from getting an interview?
To be blunt -- you do not sound like a competitive applicant. Aside from stellar scores, plastic surgery programs look for applicants who show dedication to the field. In your position, I would do a research in a plastic surgery lab between third and fourth year. Then do a few away rotations at plastic surgery programs at which you have an interest in matching. With a solid research year and solid LORs from well known plastic surgeons the 230 step 1 won't matter so much.

I'm a 3rd year as well. I just got back a B on my gen surg rotation, so now I'm questioning if this is possible.

Step 1: 246
Publications: 1 in PRS, 3 posters (1 plastic surgery), 2-3 additional papers are in progress for a plastics surgery chart review project.
Clerkship grades: B+ in medicine, B in EM, Pass in Family (pass/fail rotation), A+ Neuro, A Psych, B in Gen Surg

As above, more worried about getting interviews than how I will do in the interviews, and whether my 3rd year grades will keep me from integrated programs.