Need emergent help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CutIt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm now a 4th year MS who is still undecided -- I have always wanted to go into NS and I have the numbers to do so, however the lifestyle of waking before 5 AM and coming home after 7 or 8 PM/q 3-4 call even post-residency is a hangup that I can't get over. ANY ideas on other fields that I should pursue? Ideally they would offer many of what I like about NS -- complex anatomy/physiology, making a big impact on patients, but without having absolutely no personal/family life to speak of

All help is appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by CutIt
I'm now a 4th year MS who is still undecided -- I have always wanted to go into NS and I have the numbers to do so, however the lifestyle of waking before 5 AM and coming home after 7 or 8 PM/q 3-4 call even post-residency is a hangup that I can't get over. ANY ideas on other fields that I should pursue? Ideally they would offer many of what I like about NS -- complex anatomy/physiology, making a big impact on patients, but without having absolutely no personal/family life to speak of

All help is appreciated!!!

ENT, man. ENT.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about urilogy? Pelvic anatomy can be pretty damn confusing!

Rads, man. Become a diagnostic and interventional neuroradiologist. Spend a couple days a week reading films and spend the other couple days doing angios/embo/coiling and percutaneous procedures.

Cheers

Man, I hated that time of 4th year when I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do with my life. I definitely don't envy you.

As for options besides NS, I would agree that ENT and Rads offer some of you criteria. If surgery is your gig then ENT may be the way to go. I'm of course biased toward general surgery (I still can't figure out the f**kin' pancreas).

I would not put nephrology even in the top 20. Family practice and peds are much more difficult than nephrology. How hard is this scenario: "yeah, he has acute renal failure. we put him on a bumex drip, gave him some kayexalate, stopped every drug he was on, FAILED, and will now dialyze him for eternity. Thanks for the consult." I hate nephrology and would definitely say I have some bitterness toward them.

Interventional rads/cardiology is a pretty decent gig with good procedures/anatomy.

Originally posted by neutropeniaboy
ENT, man. ENT.

Neurosurgery faculty and residents told me to go into ENT. To quote a NS faculty member at my medical school, "You need to seriously consider what your lifestyle and practice will be like"