Virtual Reality in Medicine and Surgery (Free Educational VR360 Resources)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bangity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Bang Quach. I am a 4th year Oral & Maxillofacial resident at University of Florida-Jacksonville. The VRiMS is a new training program for residents/trainees that utilize VR Headsets (360 videos) recorded using the Insta360 camera, using YouTube as a host, and viewed using the YouTube app on the phone (currently). The idea was started out by Jag who is a Maxillofacial/H&N Surgeon in the UK, to supplements training across all surgical specialties. Stryker has been supporting their group in the UK of several hundreds of these headsets (just regular headset where you slide your phone into), especially to residents/trainees who lack the financial resources for viewing the videos. They are also in the process of developing an app that will later allow us to annotates and have legends that would appear in the peripheral visions while in VR mode. I will be contacting KLS if they are willing to do the same.

They are going to be doing a live intro & demonstration week during September 14-18. The UK time is approximately 5 hours ahead from Florida.

Here is the link to register: VRiMS 2020 Conferance Registration

Now have 80 MaxFax, 100 plastic residents signed up so far. It would be great if we can get more involved.

Currently have OMFS/H&N, ENT/H&N, Plastic, Ophthalmology, Breast, Orthopedic, Vascular, Anesthesia, Emergency, HEMS, Dentistry planned for the 4 days. I will have detailed timeline per day posted soon once everything is finalized. Our program (Dr. Rui Fernandes) will post a 10-15 minutes video of a Fibula Free Flap markup pre-recorded that will go on Sept. 14th.

===========================================

Anyone from any other medical/surgical specialties that would like to get involved in the project, please let me know ([email protected]). We will have an International section on the VRiMS website that will be further categorized into each specialty. The basic idea is that each of the surgical specialty will record, from the most basic videos such as setting up for a procedure (fibular free flaps markups, ALT, scope, etc...) to full operations, to enhance surgical training especially during COVID time.

The link to the website is Virtual Reality in Medicine and Surgery

Thank you, please share and spread the word!

VRiMS.jpg

Members don't see this ad.