NC DPT Cycle 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted into ECU! I'm pretty sure WCU waitlisted me which is fine, and I'll be interviewing with UNC in January!

Sent from my moto g(6) using SDN mobile

Congrats same here! ECU is definitely one of my favorites. You going to accept?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats same here! ECU is definitely one of my favorites. You going to accept?
Of course! Although I don't know if it will be my final decision because UNC is my top choice. But yeah, ECU is definitely a great option, especially with the low cost of living.

Of course! Although I don't know if it will be my final decision because UNC is my top choice. But yeah, ECU is definitely a great option, especially with the low cost of living.

Same, it stinks that they are making the interviews on January 19th. They definitely know what they are doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had my interview with Elon today! I know they have 4 more interview dates in the spring.
Hi do you mind sharing the interview experience you had in Elon with us? I have an interview with them in February.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi do you mind sharing the interview experience you had in Elon with us? I have an interview with them in February.

I just interviewed with Elon and don't mind offering some advice.

Most of the day is pretty straightforward. You meet with the head of the DPT program, the financial aid advisors, have an informal lunch with current students, learn about the clinical rotations, and receive a tour of the facility. All these events are not judged and focus on making sure you can learn about Elon's DPT program. So just stay relaxed and ask any questions you have.

At some point in between these events, depending on what group your in, you will have your interview session. This consists of 3 interviews with 3 different faculty members each consisting of 10 minutes. They will ask you an open ended question (typical DPT interview questions) and you will answer it and probably strike up a conversation. 2 of my interviews we spent almost the whole time talking about how fun it is to work with kids, so they really just want to know if you're someone they can have a conversation with (and therefor someone patients would like). Make sure you have questions to ask to fill up any free time at the end of the interview. Otherwise, it's more of a conversation than a grilling, and one of the current students informed me they are mainly evaluating your personality.

Reactions: 2 users
I definitely agree with @gergswerg , the interview is very relaxed and very conversational. If you were invited for an interview, that means your paper application was extraordinary and they already know that you have the stats, observation hours, etc. The interview is to really get to know you and your interests and to see how you interact with others. The questions really try to get at what your life experiences are, so just be your genuine self and I think that is what they are looking for!

I just interviewed with Elon and don't mind offering some advice.

Most of the day is pretty straightforward. You meet with the head of the DPT program, the financial aid advisors, have an informal lunch with current students, learn about the clinical rotations, and receive a tour of the facility. All these events are not judged and focus on making sure you can learn about Elon's DPT program. So just stay relaxed and ask any questions you have.

At some point in between these events, depending on what group your in, you will have your interview session. This consists of 3 interviews with 3 different faculty members each consisting of 10 minutes. They will ask you an open ended question (typical DPT interview questions) and you will answer it and probably strike up a conversation. 2 of my interviews we spent almost the whole time talking about how fun it is to work with kids, so they really just want to know if you're someone they can have a conversation with (and therefor someone patients would like). Make sure you have questions to ask to fill up any free time at the end of the interview. Otherwise, it's more of a conversation than a grilling, and one of the current students informed me they are mainly evaluating your personality.
I definitely agree with @gergswerg , the interview is very relaxed and very conversational. If you were invited for an interview, that means your paper application was extraordinary and they already know that you have the stats, observation hours, etc. The interview is to really get to know you and your interests and to see how you interact with others. The questions really try to get at what your life experiences are, so just be your genuine self and I think that is what they are looking for!

Thank you guys for sharing this, I am greatly appreciated! How do you guys feel about the dpt program at Elon?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone confirmed their interview for UNC via the link in the email? If so did you get a confirmation email saying it was confirmed?

Just got accepted into ECU and Methodist. Wondering other peoples opinions of those programs? Pros and cons that you see that I may have missed?

Im working on choosing between those two programs while I wait to hear from other schools.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you guys for sharing this, I am greatly appreciated! How do you guys feel about the dpt program at Elon?
Elon's program looks great! The faculty seem great, I love that the building is all on one floor and all of the classrooms and faculty offices are together. Students told me that the curriculum prepares you for success and that it is very well rounded. The only concern for me was cost, it is private and much more expensive than other programs.

Elon's program looks great! The faculty seem great, I love that the building is all on one floor and all of the classrooms and faculty offices are together. Students told me that the curriculum prepares you for success and that it is very well rounded. The only concern for me was cost, it is private and much more expensive than other programs.
Yeah cost is a big concern and it plays a huge role on most people’s decision for where they eventually choose to attend, but It’s good to hear you like the program! I know the campus is really beautiful and the facilities are really good as well based on the information I found online. I am so excited to visit the campus! Good luck to you, I hope you can end up attending your top choice!

Just got accepted into ECU and Methodist. Wondering other peoples opinions of those programs? Pros and cons that you see that I may have missed?

Im working on choosing between those two programs while I wait to hear from other schools.

Thanks everyone!
Go for ECU because its public, in my opinion. Also, this will give me a chance with Methodist since I got waitlisted there haha. Jk its your choice but ECU is surely a better choice financially.

Has anyone heard about the rescheduling of interviews for WCU

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks everyone!

I have interviewed at WCU, ECU, Elon, and Campbell so far and ECU is my favorite. They have offer the the fewest seats (30) and have the lowest tuition, so you know they care about the education their program offers, not about making money. They just seem like a sincere school who has their **** together. I am waiting for my interview at UNC, but right now ECU is my favorite. I have no insight to methodist.

Yeah cost is a big concern and it plays a huge role on most people’s decision for where they eventually choose to attend, but It’s good to hear you like the program! I know the campus is really beautiful and the facilities are really good as well based on the information I found online. I am so excited to visit the campus! Good luck to you, I hope you can end up attending your top choice!

I heard back from Elon today and they offered me a $10,000 annual scholarship, so that will cut down the tuition significantly. They said they have a handful of these scholarships for each round of interviewees, so make sure you do your best to stand out because it could directly help lower your tuition if you're worried about cost!

Thanks everyone!
I'd recommend ECU over Methodist. It is more established, more respected, cheaper, and has less kinks than Methodist. I interviewed at Methodist last year and the students were saying issues with planning and the half-day clinical during first year were still a serious concern.

I heard back from Elon today and they offered me a $10,000 annual scholarship, so that will cut down the tuition significantly. They said they have a handful of these scholarships for each round of interviewees, so make sure you do your best to stand out because it could directly help lower your tuition if you're worried about cost!
Woww congratulations for getting accepted by Elon!! Thank you so much for the information about the scholarship! Sure I will do the best I can for the interview!

WSSU contacted me today with a decision, but they said they don't send out the bulk of their offers until January.

Just thought I would update anyone waiting to hear form Winston Salem.

WSSU contacted me today with a decision, but they said they don't send out the bulk of their offers until January.

Good to know! When did you send your application to them? I would really like to hear from them before I have to pay my January deposits, I haven't visited the program but as of right now they are my first choice

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about the rescheduling of interviews for WCU
Yeah, I got an email from WCU on Saturday. If you didn't get the email, I would call them! The makeup is January, 11th.

That;s where I'm headed in a couple of weeks for anyone with questions. I'm starting 01/19.

Has anyone confirmed their interview for UNC via the link in the email? If so did you get a confirmation email saying it was confirmed?
I think it said something about how we wouldn't get a confirmation email. I guess we just have to assume it went through okay.

Have you visited their facilities before? Do you like the faculty and the overall program?
I haven't actually visited campus because I had to miss orientation due to work and medical issues. The faculty that I have spoken to seem really great. Overall, they seem very organized, but communication can sometimes be fair. Of couse, most of the communication issues have been with financial aid not the actual PT program. I'm excited to start.

Has anyone interviewing at UNC heard anything from previous students? Or have any tips? I’ve heard their process is a little more intense than most schools and I don’t know how to start preparing.

Any advice would be appreciated!

So this might sound dumb, but does anybody know the actual in-state cost of attending UNC or ECU? I've tried checking their tuition sheets and googling and I haven't found a definite answer.

Here's the link for UNC's tution and fees. http://cashier.unc.edu/files/2016/10/16_17YR.pdf
Here's the link for ECU's tuition and fees. http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/financial_serv/customcf/fall_2018_fees_graduate_resident.pdf
Most programs have links to tuition and fees in the FAQs on their websites.
Yeah, I've already seen those. It looks like unc's dpt program is 9 semesters and each semester is about $9K so would it be correct to assume the total cost is $81K? And I still can't figure out ECU's tuition with that sheet with all the additional PT costs.

UNC's tuition over summer will be more like $2000 - $2500. The admissions board sent me a tuition and fees estimate and the tuition and fees total for 3 years is ~$68000.

Thanks everyone!

I was also accepted at Methodist! Every faculty member and student that I spoke with on my interview day spoke so highly of the program, many of them saying the faculty is incredibly supportive, involved and available. I saw this as a big pro of the program, knowing that I will have a lot of help and support when needed. I also like the Team Based Learning concept. Cons would be that the program is very new, which could be a potential benefit or not, as one of the professors told me that they are still in a learning phase and that the faculty is very open to student feedback and is willing to make changes that will improve the program since they are still growing. Another con for me is that you essentially don't begin clinicals until the 3rd year, whereas other schools I interviewed at began clinicals in the 1st year. Also, the area is not the best compared to other parts of the state. That was my impression but I would love to hear yours!

Last edited:
I was also accepted at Methodist! Every faculty member and student that I spoke with on my interview day spoke so highly of the program, many of them saying the faculty is incredibly supportive, involved and available. I saw this as a big pro of the program, knowing that I will have a lot of help and support when needed. I also like the Team Based Learning concept. Cons would be that the program is very new, which could be a potential benefit or not, as one of the professors told me that they are still in a learning phase and that the faculty is very open to student feedback and is willing to make changes that will improve the program since they are still growing. Another con for me is that you essentially don't begin clinicals until the 3rd year, whereas other schools I interviewed at began clinicals in the 1st year. Also, the area is not the best compared to other parts of the state. That was my impression but I would love to hear yours!

I had the same impression of MU. I loved the family atmosphere and it was super welcoming. Some of my cons did include that it was a new program (but that can also be viewed as a pro), and the cost is way more compared to ECU specifically. I am from the area and I honestly prefer Fayetteville to Greenville. I actually ended up choosing Methodist over ECU due to the family environment, proximity to home, and the pros of a new program. I am still waiting to interview at UNC. Good luck in your decision making process!

I had the same impression of MU. I loved the family atmosphere and it was super welcoming. Some of my cons did include that it was a new program (but that can also be viewed as a pro), and the cost is way more compared to ECU specifically. I am from the area and I honestly prefer Fayetteville to Greenville. I actually ended up choosing Methodist over ECU due to the family environment, proximity to home, and the pros of a new program. I am still waiting to interview at UNC. Good luck in your decision making process!
Good to know that you like the Fayetteville area! I am from Florida so I really only know what I have read online about Fayetteville, which hasn't been stellar, so it's nice to hear it is a good area from someone with first hand knowledge :) Did you have any issues paying your deposit for MU? I was unable to log into the website so I am waiting until they return from Christmas break so I can speak with Kerri about it. Good luck with your UNC interview! Maybe we will be classmates in August!

Good to know that you like the Fayetteville area! I am from Florida so I really only know what I have read online about Fayetteville, which hasn't been stellar, so it's nice to hear it is a good area from someone with first hand knowledge :) Did you have any issues paying your deposit for MU? I was unable to log into the website so I am waiting until they return from Christmas break so I can speak with Kerri about it. Good luck with your UNC interview! Maybe we will be classmates in August!

Yeah, Fayetteville doesn’t look great on paper. I’ve lived here my whole life, but I would say it’s on the up and coming. We’re getting a new baseball stadium and downtown is really turning around. Every place is what you make of it. In regards to the paying the deposit, I did have issues. I emailed Kerri. It kept saying my password was incorrect. Thanks for the good wishes. Maybe we will see each other in August!

Yeah, Fayetteville doesn’t look great on paper. I’ve lived here my whole life, but I would say it’s on the up and coming. We’re getting a new baseball stadium and downtown is really turning around. Every place is what you make of it. In regards to the paying the deposit, I did have issues. I emailed Kerri. It kept saying my password was incorrect. Thanks for the good wishes. Maybe we will see each other in August!
So true, it really is all about what you make it! But it really does make me feel better to hear good things about the town from someone who has lived there. Also there is a Duck Donuts across from the PT school so that is a win in my book! :)

Have you guys heard back from Kerri yet? I had the same issues logging in

No I haven’t heard back, said she will back the 4th, but that’s when the deposit is due. The email was clear about sending only one email with questions, so that’s what I did.

Have you guys heard back from Kerri yet? I had the same issues logging in
I figured out how to log in- Username is your student id provided in the email and the password is Mu! with your student id. Are we all going to be classmates? :)

No I haven’t heard back, said she will back the 4th, but that’s when the deposit is due. The email was clear about sending only one email with questions, so that’s what I did.
I was able to log in and pay the deposit using my student id as the username and Mu!with my student id as the password!

Just forfeited my seat to Wingate, WCU, Campbell, WSSU, and Elon, so hopefully that moves someone off the waitlist in here.

Has anyone interviewing at UNC heard anything from previous students? Or have any tips? I’ve heard their process is a little more intense than most schools and I don’t know how to start preparing.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'll be there too! Reposting because this is a great question that needs answers (please)

I'll be there too! Reposting because this is a great question that needs answers (please)

They have never done the video interview thing for the application process before, so I think it is going to be an entirely new interview process... But I would love to know how many people they invite for interviews.

Anyone who has an interview at UNC going to the student mixer that evening?

Was anyone at the WCU makeup interviews? If so how did they go and did they say when they were making decisions for you guys? I was technically supposed to be in the makeup session but I did a phone interview instead for a few situational reasons

I got a decision from WCU today if anyone was waiting on them and wondering

How did they notify you?
I got an email that said the decision was available and to check my Apply Yourself portal. If you are waiting and haven't received an email maybe just check the portal