NC DPT Cycle 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACPTWannabe

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I know its way early, considering the application doesn't reopen until July 5th, but I wanted to go ahead and start a thread for those applying to any of the North Carolina DPT programs for the upcoming cycle. If you are from out-of-state, NC has 10 programs: Campbell University, Duke University, East Carolina University, Elon University, High Point University, Methodist University, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Western Carolina University, and Wingate University. Some of these programs are brand new (Methodist, High Point, Campbell,Wingate) and others have been around forever (ECU, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill). I hope that this thread can be a place where we can help each other navigate the slightly differing requirements for each program, the application process, and hopeful celebrate some acceptances when the time comes. I am going to post my stats below and include the NC schools I plan to apply to. First, I little about me. I applied first in the 2014-2015 cycle and then again this cycle, the 2017-2018 cycle. The reason for the gap is I struggled to find a job after moving home following graduation and then had to have ACL/Meniscus surgery that all set me back financially. I obviously haven't gotten in either of the first two times I applied, but am still on the waitlst for the 2017-2018 cycle at Methodist University. I am working on several different things to improve my application this time. Here are my stats:

Undergrad
: Appalachian State University (GO APPS)
Major: Exercise Science with a Medical Humanities Minor
Overall GPA: 3.43
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (currently depending on the program) I am currently retaking Anatomy & Physiology I and plan to retake II and Physics I this fall.
GRE Scores: V162, Q152, AW 4.5
Observation Hours: 1200 hours (1140 in out patient clinic that see ortho, neuro, wound care, and geriatric, 30 in in-patient, 30 in aquatics) Planned 384 more hours in rehabiliation hospital.
Extracurriculars: 2 different jobs, Health Professions Club (several leadership roles), Exercise Science Club, Governing Board for Residence Hall first two years, SEP at UNC-Chapel Hill Participate, Research in Exercise Science Lab for 3 years, Journal Club, 60 hours at on-campus therapy clinic, and volunteering during the summer in PT clinic. Currently working full-time, retaking classes, and volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital.
LOR: 3 PTs, 1 Professor
Planning to Apply: Duke (longshot), George Washington University, ECU, UNC-Chapel Hil, Emory(Dual PT/MPH), Western Carolina, and Winston-Salem State University

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted my applications to UNC, WCU, ECU, Elon, and High Point. This is my first and hopefully last time applying. Stats:

Major: Business Management
Minor: Pre-PT
GPA (prereq & cumulative): 4.0
GRE: 154V, 152Q, 4 AW (very average, but I didn't want to take it again since I hate standardized tests lol)
Observations: 280 hours - outpatient, inpatient, pediatric, nursing home
Extracurriculars (the main ones): Course Tutor (chemistry, anatomy & physiology, kinesiology), volunteer for special needs students, Ambassador for my Honors College, Secretary of Pre-Health Club
LOR: 2 PTs, 2 science professors

By the way, did you (or anyone else) do the YouSeeU video that Chapel Hill is requiring now?? Scariest thing I've ever done, I hate being recorded :c

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up applying to Duke, Elon, UNC, and will be submitting for ECU. I still need to record my video and come up with the money to apply to two more schools. I may apply to Wingate eventually, but I'm waiting to hear from other schools first.

The videos are supposed to emulate the "high-stress environment" of actual interviews, meaning there is no chance to revise your recording and you don't know what questions they're going to ask you until you actually hit 'record.' Honestly, I'd rather do a second interview or write another essay any day ughh

Sent from my XT1031 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The videos are supposed to emulate the "high-stress environment" of actual interviews, meaning there is no chance to revise your recording and you don't know what questions they're going to ask you until you actually hit 'record.' Honestly, I'd rather do a second interview or write another essay any day ughh

Wait, I thought the questions asked were the same as the one's they have on PTCAS?

The directions for YouSeeU on the Chapel Hill site said that the questions would not necessarily match the past supplemental essay questions. This is true in a way. I honestly don't remember the questions though, since I finished it a while back. I'm still mad about it though, haha

Has anyone heard anything from any NC schools for this cycle yet?

I have not heard anything yet, but I withdrew my applications from Elon, UNC, and WSSU because I was actually accepted to WSSU off the waitlist from last cycle. I'll be starting in January. The other thing that could change that is if I happened to get into Duke.

I am starting to hear back from some of my schools, and I wanted to share my stats, as I have benefited from hearing from others in the past! I actually didn't decide I wanted to do PT until midway through my Junior year, so I can offer sound advice for any late starters!

University: NC State
Major: Human Biology
Overall GPA: 3.90
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.90
GRE: 156V, 157Q, 5.0AW
LORs: 2 PTs, 1 professor

Extra-Curric: Pre-PT Club, Pre-Health Club, IM Sports

Volunteer: Habitat for Humanity, Special Needs Soccer Camp, Special Needs Basketball Camp

Work: Student Worker/Tutor, Civil Engineering Technician, Campus Manager

Observation: 244 total hours (8 different settings): Outpatient Ortho (54 hrs), Outpatient Peds (42), School (20), Inpatient Rehab (16), Inpatient Acute Care (16), Outpatient Ortho (36), SNF (18), Inpatient Peds (42)

Applied: UNC, ECU, WCU, WSSU, Wingate, Campbell, Elon

Interviews: Campbell, Wingate (accepted w/o interview), WCU (hinted at interview), interview decisions for other schools not made until Nov/December

Acceptances: Campbell, Wingate (no interview)

Rejections:

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from High Point on (10/5) for an interview this Friday (10/19)
Congrats on the interview offer! When did you submit your application? I submitted mine on 8/30 and was verified on 9/3. Should I be worried that I haven't heard back yet? I emailed someone in admissions and on Oct 8th, they said my application was actively under review. Other than that, I haven't heard anything else.

Congrats on the interview offer! When did you submit your application? I submitted mine on 8/30 and was verified on 9/3. Should I be worried that I haven't heard back yet? I emailed someone in admissions and on Oct 8th, they said my application was actively under review. Other than that, I haven't heard anything else.
I submitted my HPU application on 9/10. I don’t think you should be worried! I am pretty sure they have much more interview dates coming up! I’m sure you’ll hear from them!

I am starting to hear back from some of my schools, and I wanted to share my stats, as I have benefited from hearing from others in the past! I actually didn't decide I wanted to do PT until midway through my Junior year, so I can offer sound advice for any late starters!

University: NC State
Major: Human Biology
Overall GPA: 3.90
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.90
GRE: 156V, 157Q, 5.0AW
LORs: 2 PTs, 1 professor

Extra-Curric: Pre-PT Club, Pre-Health Club, IM Sports

Volunteer: Habitat for Humanity, Special Needs Soccer Camp, Special Needs Basketball Camp

Work: Student Worker/Tutor, Civil Engineering Technician, Campus Manager

Observation: 244 total hours (8 different settings): Outpatient Ortho (54 hrs), Outpatient Peds (42), School (20), Inpatient Rehab (16), Inpatient Acute Care (16), Outpatient Ortho (36), SNF (18), Inpatient Peds (42)

Applied: UNC, ECU, WCU, WSSU, Wingate, Campbell, Elon

Interviews: Campbell, Wingate (accepted w/o interview), WCU (hinted at interview), interview decisions for other schools not made until Nov/December

Acceptances: Campbell, Wingate (no interview)

Rejections:

Congrats on the interviews! Can you expand on what you mean when you said WCU hinted at an interview? I am still waiting to hear back from them. Thanks!

Congrats on the interviews! Can you expand on what you mean when you said WCU hinted at an interview? I am still waiting to hear back from them. Thanks!

When I was accepted into Campbell I emailed the other schools I applied to to ask if accepting a seat at Campbell would hinder my chances. The admissions contact at WCU told me it would not and also said she expects me to be invited to interview in December. It was very informal and not an official interview invitation.

Anyone receive more news yet?

Nothing yet. I got an update that my application for wingate was still under review last week, but that’s it. It’s driving me crazy!

Anyone receive more news yet?
Well, WCU told me that they will start sending out interview invites at the beginning of November, and UNC told me that they will start sending out their interview invites in mid-December with a planned interview on January 19th.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an interview offer from Elon! But once again, I have to reschedule because the interview date (12/10) is during my exam week. >:O

I just got an interview offer from Elon! But once again, I have to reschedule because the interview date (12/10) is during my exam week. >:O

Congrats! Did they notify you via email? Also when did you submit your application/ supplemental app?

Me too!! It's during my exam week as well, but I am going to see if I can have my exam moved.

Congrats! Did they notify you via email? Also when did you submit your application/ supplemental app?
Yep, they contacted me through email. I submitted my PTCAS app 9/3 and it was verified on 9/5. There was no supplemental application for Elon.

Congrats!! I am wondering when did Elon received all the materials from your application? They received all my application materials on 9/17, hopefully I hear back from them soon!

Congrats!! I am wondering when did Elon received all the materials from your application? They received all my application materials on 9/17, hopefully I hear back from them soon!
Elon emailed me on 9/21 saying they received my application. I think it was bit delayed because it took me about a week after my PTCAS submission to realize that I forgot to send my GRE scores to them lol

Congrats, I also received an interview for December 10th! It is during my exam week but I am going to try to make it work. Good luck.

Elon emailed me on 9/21 saying they received my application. I think it was bit delayed because it took me about a week after my PTCAS submission to realize that I forgot to send my GRE scores to them lol
I hope you do well for the interview keep us posted!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied?

Thank you! and I applied 8/24 got verified 8/27.

GPA: 3.74
GRE: 144V 147Q 4.0AW
Hours: 460 in different settings

That's so exciting! I did as well-do you know anything about what to expect question wise?

Do you mind sharing your status and when they received your application as well? I’m really hoping for some updates in the next few days so any information helps calm my mind down haha

That's so exciting! I did as well-do you know anything about what to expect question wise?
aye its litty! And no not at all, I know a girl in my class who had hers during ED i can ask her in detail but she told me it was "super chill" idk what that means im not a huge fan of interviews. Im also gonna try snooping around here to see if i can find anything

Do you mind sharing your status and when they received your application as well? I’m really hoping for some updates in the next few days so any information helps calm my mind down haha
I submitted my application for PTCAS August 2 and then the supplement August 8th. I just received an email inviting me to interview this afternoon.

Rough Stats:
GPA: 3.94; GRE V: 161 Q: 158 W: 5.0
Hours: 299 Outpatient (worked and shadowed); 86 Inpatient
Outpatient adult and peds; inpatient adult rehab and acute care; inpatient peds and burn unit; inpatient adult neuro; assisted and skilled nursing; special needs peds and peds hippotherapy; adult and peds aquatic therapy
Rec letters from 3 PTs (1 I worked under, 1 observed extensively, 1 inpatient neuro) and 1 professor (research professor and supervisor)

Let me know if there's any other stats you'd like to know!

aye its litty! And no not at all, I know a girl in my class who had hers during ED i can ask her in detail but she told me it was "super chill" idk what that means im not a huge fan of interviews. Im also gonna try snooping around here to see if i can find anything
Hmmm "super chill" is so subjective haha. But I guess everyone tends to say they're really chill. I'm curious whether it'll be group settings versus individuals or a mix of both. I'm not a huge fan of interviews either, but I remember that I also have to like the school and it's a chance for me to judge them too. Tends to help my nerves lol

I also got an interview for Duke on November 30th, but I am unable to attend so I'll be going December 7th! Just commenting so I can get notified if you find out any tips on the interview process :) good luck!!

I also got an interview for Duke on November 30th, but I am unable to attend so I'll be going December 7th! Just commenting so I can get notified if you find out any tips on the interview process :) good luck!!
Do you mind me asking when you found out about the interview?

Did anyone else get an invitation for western Carolina’s open house? It seemed very general and like it doesn’t mean much but I wasn’t too sure because I know one of the other schools I applied to invites you to their open house only if they are looking to interview you. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on it!

Did anyone else get an invitation for western Carolina’s open house? It seemed very general and like it doesn’t mean much but I wasn’t too sure because I know one of the other schools I applied to invites you to their open house only if they are looking to interview you. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on it!
I got that email as well, to me it seems very general. The program coordinator told me they don't send out interview offers until beginning/mid November.

I got that email as well, to me it seems very general. The program coordinator told me they don't send out interview offers until beginning/mid November.

Yeah that’s what I figured it was just wishful thinking haha thank you!

For what it’s worth I applied and haven’t seen an email about an open house come in (unless it went to my spam)!

Anyone hear back from their interview at High Point University? I had my interview on September 10th and have yet to receive any update from it.

Has anyone else heard from High Point? I know they are conducting interviews, but I haven't received an offer for one yet. They told me my application was still under review on Oct 8 and I haven't heard anything since. I hope this isn't a bad sign. :/

Just got an interview offer from Western!

Reactions: 1 users