NBDE part 1 raw scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you took the NEW format NBDE Part 1, please post your results here:

Raw score:
Final score:

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Cooldent,

Congratulations ! Brilliant score. Can you give some tips for crash revision (from Kaplan notes and decks). I am giving the exam after 2 weeks.
Thank you.

Congrats for your score... its amazing and must be a big relief as well.
Can you share your experience with us (the day of exam and ur prep)

Thanks Kash
my idividual stastics are
anatomy-84
micro/path-83
physio/biochem-88
dental anatomy-90
total 345
composite-93

i took exam on june23
i used kaplan,dental decks(read twice) and previous papers
i used crack the nbde software ,but it was not of very much help,just let u know the format of exam

Members don't see this ad :)
Took NBDE Part 1 in July after first year. Got the scores today:

87 Comp Score

79 AS
75 BP
74 MP
85 DA
_______
313 raw score

Thought I had done a little better coming out of it, but I am very happy with this score. Just looking to get into a nice GPR after graduation. :)

Composite score=85

Anatomy=77
Biochem/Phys=72
Micro/Path=71
DA/Morph=75

Raw=295

and I am now enjoying what little is left of the summer!

Last edited:
Exam date : July 23
Composite Score :89
Ana : 77
Biochem/physio: 76
Micro/patho: 88
Dental Ana/occlusion: 82
Total : 323

Hi. Did you apply to any schools and any interview letters for you. I have a part 1 score of 79 gpa 3.9 you think I have chance in any school.

Yeah, I passed!!:thumbup:

Ok, so here are my scores.

comp score: 80

(subject:my score:natl mean)

anatomy: 64: 64.6
biochem/phys: 65 : 60.4
Micro/Path: 68 : 65
DA: 73 : 73.4

For all those who are reading this and preparing to take the exam. I thought for sure I failed this. It's easy to get discouraged when you have a stream of questions that you aren't sure of the answer. So, even if you think you failed it, you probably didn't. If I were to take it again (which I won't!) I would pay more attention to old tests. In fact, I'd probably do each of them twice. Good luck fellow students!

ps. Thanks huggies for your encouragement!

Hi When did you give exam July 23 ? and can you please tell me when did you get the results and how did you feel after the exam. Did you feel like it was okay or good or excellent ? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Exam date : July 23
Composite Score :89
Ana : 77
Biochem/physio: 76
Micro/patho: 88
Dental Ana/occlusion: 82
Total : 323

Hi When did you give exam July 23 ? and can you please tell me when did you get the results and how did you feel after the exam. Did you feel like it was okay or good or excellent ? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi Ravident,
My exam was on July 23th and got the result on Aug 3rd. I was worried after the exam because I missed quite a few questions which were straight forward. I felt I did well in cases and was hoping for a decent score but could not be sure. Overall, it was a fair exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mrs. Winidm, thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Hi Ravident,
My exam was on July 23th and got the result on Aug 3rd. I was worried after the exam because I missed quite a few questions which were straight forward. I felt I did well in cases and was hoping for a decent score but could not be sure. Overall, it was a fair exam.

i'm guessing this may have been deduced multiple times, but how is composite scored calculated from the raw score?
Is it the average of the standardized score for the each section?

Also, does NBDE have 100 questions of each section in the new format or are there more question of some parts? What i mean is are they giving the raw score based on % or X/100?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the newb questions.:D

Is the RAW score exact number of correct answers ?

i'm guessing this may have been deduced multiple times, but how is composite scored calculated from the raw score?
Is it the average of the standardized score for the each section?

Also, does NBDE have 100 questions of each section in the new format or are there more question of some parts? What i mean is are they giving the raw score based on % or X/100?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the newb questions.:D

Just got my result today. Took it on Jan 5. Very happy :)

Composite score - 98

Anatomic Science - 89
Biochem/Phys - 85
Microbio/Path - 92
Dental Anat/Occlusion - 91

Hi,
congrats!!
What dental schools are you applying?

Is the RAW score exact number of correct answers ?

Yes, I believe so.

To hotrod0917, there are still four subject areas of 100 questions each, and this is shown on your score report, but there are no longer "sections." And about the scaling, one of our profs sat on the board, and he said "You know, the the Board Exam is actually rigged, so don't worry about it too much..." suggesting that they set the percentage of test takers desired for each scaled score (thus automatically failing a certain percentage of people). Come to think of it, he actually did say that a certain percentage are destine by the Board to fail.

Last edited:
Got my scores today, took the exam july 25th

DA: 94
Mi/Pa: 86
Bio/Phys: 88
Anat: 92

Raw: 360
Composite: 98

The people on this thread really helped me. Especially Armorshell and Count Orlok. I tried to follow exactly what they did. I read through Kaplan lecture notes 2-3 times, NBDE First Aid 3 times, and a lot of Wikipedia articles. I googled everything I didn't quite understand. I took 89,96,98,04 practice exams, and I made sure to wiki each topic tested. I studied about 4 weeks 12-14 hours a day. I think the biggest thing is not getting discouraged and staying focused. Good luck and thanks for the help everybody.

Oh and also get a good girlfriend that will leave you alone for 4 weeks. =)

The people on this thread really helped me. Especially Armorshell and Count Orlok. I tried to follow exactly what they did. I read through Kaplan lecture notes 2-3 times, NBDE First Aid 3 times, and a lot of Wikipedia articles. I googled everything I didn't quite understand. I took 89,96,98,04 practice exams, and I made sure to wiki each topic tested. I studied about 4 weeks 12-14 hours a day. I think the biggest thing is not getting discouraged and staying focused. Good luck and thanks for the help everybody.

Congratulations on your great score :thumbup:. It is really amazing that you could do all the reading and revision in 4 weeks. :cool:

:thumbup:

Strong work, and thanks for the endorsement. It will be the kind of support I need when I publish my NBDE study guide later this year.

j/k of course

Wow, Congratulations! You were able to do all this in 4 weeks? I'm taking mine in about 5 1/2 weeks and getting bit freaked out.:scared: Any pointers on how to stay focused for 10-12 hours a day?

I was able to study it all in 4 weeks because i had just taken my finals for Pathology and Physiology the day before I started studying. So I guess I should say I studied for 5 weeks.

5 1/2 weeks should be enough, but you can always reschedule if you don't feel prepared enough. I guess I wouldn't worry about how many times I read through the material. I would make sure to get it figured out the first time, and then later, read it again to make sure you've actually remembered. Don't rush through the material, slow down and figure out a way to remember it. Also, kaplan has some sections that I wouldn't study, like the section on the cerebellum, that was a little much I think.

I don't have any great advice on how to stay focused. I found that if I just forced myself to get started, after a while i would forget that I was panicked or tired, and i would get caught up in studying. I would take a break every 2-3 hours. The last 4 days I had a super hard time focusing though. Just believe in yourself, and put in the hard work.

Another thing I want to share is that when i was taking the actual test, I wanted to cry because I thought I was doing so badly. Chances are you're doing better than you think so don't stop trying.

I think the practice tests are pretty true to what you are actually going to get as far as raw score. Here's the order of tests that I took and the raw score. 1989-287, 2004-313, 1998-334, 1996-350.

I gave myself about a week of intensive studying between each test.

Last edited:
Wow! Congrats absolutely! You must be proud. Could you please elaborate some more on the different sections or how you would do it different if you had to again (of course you don't though!!) :) Also... I'm struggling with Anatomy... could you tell me a little about how you studied for this section? Thanks and congrats again! Your score is amazing!

Sometimes I referred to class notes, and text books, but mostly I did as follows.

I found the NBDE First Aid anatomy section to be pretty good. I would just start one morning and go line by line in First Aid anatomy section, and I could generally get through the whole section in less than a day. I would not turn the page until I felt like I could reproduce what was on the page. If you're confused by something, refer to google/wiki. The next morning I would start on kaplan's anatomy section, and I was a little less faithful to some sections in kaplan, but I got through pretty much all of it.

For dental anatomy, I just stuck to kaplan, it can be confusing switching between different books for dental anatomy.

For micro/Path, and Phys/Bio, I just read through both kaplan and first aid. Kaplans DentEssentials was helpful for Biochem because it had a lot of easy to visualize diagrams, and good captions for them. I spent a lot of money on prep materials because I figured I would get a lot of return on the investment.

If I had to do it again, I would not have freaked out three days before the test. Also, I would have eaten fewer mcflurries and exercised for half an hour every other day. If you are lacking in time, previous tests will guide you to topics that are most important.

Last edited:
Great info! thanks so much. Kaplan sounds like a good foundation for me to start with. Good luck with everything and thanks again!

Hi absolutely,

Congrats on great score..You did a great job in a very short period.r u in dental school now???
Were u familiar with all the subjects when u have started the preparation????
I have exam in 1 month.I am a FTD.
Give me suggestions to follow in this month.I am done with 1 reading for all the subjects by today.
Do u mean Kaplan lecture notes means USMLE or Kaplan review book??
Have u done all the q's from 1980's..
Thanks a lot in advance..

Sometimes I referred to class notes, and text books, but mostly I did as follows.

I found the NBDE First Aid anatomy section to be pretty good. I would just start one morning and go line by line in First Aid anatomy section, and I could generally get through the whole section in less than a day. I would not turn the page until I felt like I could reproduce what was on the page. If you're confused by something, refer to google/wiki. The next morning I would start on kaplan's anatomy section, and I was a little less faithful to some sections in kaplan, but I got through pretty much all of it.

For dental anatomy, I just stuck to kaplan, it can be confusing switching between different books for dental anatomy.

For micro/Path, and Phys/Bio, I just read through both kaplan and first aid. Kaplans DentEssentials was helpful for Biochem because it had a lot of easy to visualize diagrams, and good captions for them. I spent a lot of money on prep materials because I figured I would get a lot of return on the investment.

If I had to do it again, I would not have freaked out three days before the test. Also, I would have eaten fewer mcflurries and exercised for half an hour every other day. If you are lacking in time, previous tests will guide you to topics that are most important.

guys ,
i am retaking my part 1 , i have a 85 from 2003 , which is anyway outdated!
pls guide me where to get materials , i am in need of first aid , practise tests,
text books moore- concise anat , and okesan
i have to still get a test date , which i sthe last month i can give dec2009 or jan 2010?
do you guys think i have sufficient time to give in dec ..
only problem is i have a3 yr old to take care,but i want to give my best shot coz i cant give the exam ever again .
guidance needed as to , no of hrs i shld study and wher i can get study material

thanks much

test taken 9/08
score 94
all 90 except biochem 75

I know it's not the highest, but I'm a stay home mom with three little kids, 1,3,5 years old. I'm so proud of myself.

test taken 9/08
score 94
all 90 except biochem 75

I know it's not the highest, but I'm a stay home mom with three little kids, 1,3,5 years old. I'm so proud of myself.

hats off to u:thumbup:
how did u do it?
pls provide guidance
thanks

Congrats mizi! I'm so proud of you mother!! How did you manage the time, any tips? I'm mother of two, one school goin n the lil one stays home. good luck to you.

test taken 9/08
score 94
all 90 except biochem 75

If anyone who gave Part 1 exam on 3 or 4 Aug, and they got their scores.

I gave my exam on 4 Aug and I did not get my score.:scared:

Thank you.

Hello, you all.

I would like to know if it's necessary to know how to calculate the Ph, or Pka, or any equation of that kind.

Also, could you please send me the exams you're doing?
Those from 90 to 2004 would be great!

Thanks in advance,
And enjoy your "freedom" ;)

3 1/2 weeks left of studying!:scared:
Anyone else in the same boat? (Ie. Taking test in september?)

Let's keep the good scores going!

Took exam on Aug 10, got scores today (Aug 24).

Anatomy: 80 (ave 64.6)
Biochem: 82 (ave 60.4)
Micro: 86 (ave 65)
Dental Anatomy: 83 (ave 73.4)

COMPOSITE SCORE: 90 (331/400)

I studied from the middle of May until the day before my exam. In May I studied on Fridays since we still had class Mon-Thurs and exams. In June I studied most weekends where we didn't have a big exam the following week. In July and August I studied a lot more. Certainly not 12 hours a day but at least 5-7 on average.

Used Decks (went through each card quickly then came back and really read them over, then went through again until I knew them all).

Also used Mosbys cause I won it in a raffle. It was alright. A good enough supplement.

Used some released exams. At least 30 questions will repeat I'd say.

I was surprised at biochem and micro. I thought I'd do worst in micro but I guess not. I also thought I'd do better in biochem.

What were you getting on the practice exams beforehand? Like the 2004 pilot??

I know I PMed you back but for the other readers:

I didn't take the 2004 though I did have it. I only scored myself on the 98.

Anat: 78
Bchem: 87
D-anat: 90
Micro: 74

Total: 329

So I ended up around the same area.

Took it on August 10th:

Composite score - 90

Anatomic Science - 86
Biochem/Phys - 84
Microbio/Path - 78
Dental Anat/Occlusion - 84

Raw - 332

Hey folks, I have a month left for my exams. Do you guys have any last moment suggestions? Plz help me...

3 1/2 weeks left of studying!:scared:
Anyone else in the same boat? (Ie. Taking test in september?)

Let's keep the good scores going!
hey even i have 3 and half week for exam,sailing in same boat,what all are you studying,hope we both will get gud scores

got my scores today, took it 2 weeks ago:

biochem phys - 60:(
dental anat - 84
anatomic sc - 77
micro/path - 81
raw total - 302
comp - 85

i am a little confused with the scoring of nbde-1 exam. is'nt it true that u have to get a score of 75 in all areas to pass the exam ?or is it that individual sections are no longer seen ,its just the composit score andit has to be more thyan 75?

I took the exam last year, got an 88. Retook NBDE I mid-August '09.

Comp: 93
(Raw: 342)
Anat: 83
Biochem/Phys: 81
Micro/Path: 84

I've been following this and other threads quietly for the past year. I want to thank everyone for their input on the exam and for all of those ridiculous people pulling 98-99 that made me feel like a loser for not scoring in the 90's on the first try. It provided me with determination to retake.

Total study time: 6-8 weeks after clinic every weekday and all day on weekends. This was on top of attending all lectures in dental school and performing well in coursework the first go-round.

What was the difference for me from 88 (first time) to 93?
I spent much more time on old exams. I used First Aide to break the monotony, I did poor on Biochem the first round (74) so I spent a lot of time there. To answer the previous post, you don't have to get a 75 in every category to pass but your composite score may take a big hit if you do score below 75 in a section. I don't understand why but it seems to handicap your composite score dramatically.

Thanks again to all of those who inspired me to take the exam again. I am very pleased with the result for the amount of study time and I feel competitive to specialize. And my username is not hopeful thinking, it is a band I used to listen to a lot when I started using SDN several years ago.

Last edited:
I took the exam last year, got an 88. Retook NBDE I mid-August '09.

Comp: 93
(Raw: 342)
Anat: 83
Biochem/Phys: 81
Micro/Path: 84

I've been following this and other threads quietly for the past year. I want to thank everyone for their input on the exam and for all of those ridiculous people pulling 98-99 that made me feel like a loser for not scoring in the 90's on the first try. It provided me with determination to retake.

Total study time: 6-8 weeks after clinic every weekday and all day on weekends. This was on top of attending all lectures in dental school and performing well in coursework the first go-round.

What was the difference for me from 88 (first time) to 93?
I spent much more time on old exams. I used First Aide to break the monotony, I did poor on Biochem the first round (74) so I spent a lot of time there. To answer the previous post, you don't have to get a 75 in every category to pass but your composite score may take a big hit if you do score below 75 in a section. I don't understand why but it seems to handicap your composite score dramatically.

Thanks again to all of those who inspired me to take the exam again. I am very pleased with the result for the amount of study time and I feel competitive to specialize. And my username is not hopeful thinking, it is a band I used to listen to a lot when I started using SDN several years ago.

Congratulations on your score.That is really an achievement.I am retaking my part 1 due to bad scores.Well! i lost drastically on Bio-physio.I 've no clue how to study for these two subjects.Feeling so miserable.Infact i got 53.I know what any one reading this would be thinking and even i thought the same.its so pathetic.I am writing this post to find out what material did you use for Bio-Physio.My basics are so poor in these subjects,never liked them and they ripped me.I 've been trying to read all the posts from lots of people and still havent got the name of a good text book.I know reading kaplan or just the regulars are not gonna do me any good the next time round as i havent fixed my basics in these subjects.If you could suggest any text books or something,that would be gr8.And...all the very best to you.