NBDE part 1 raw scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you took the NEW format NBDE Part 1, please post your results here:

Raw score:
Final score:

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

And, by the way... thanks for that beautiful music.'Hold on and you'll find
(you'll find) What you're eventually looking for.

Congratulations on your score.That is really an achievement.I am retaking my part 1 due to bad scores.Well! i lost drastically on Bio-physio.I 've no clue how to study for these two subjects.Feeling so miserable.Infact i got 53.I know what any one reading this would be thinking and even i thought the same.its so pathetic.I am writing this post to find out what material did you use for Bio-Physio.My basics are so poor in these subjects,never liked them and they ripped me.I 've been trying to read all the posts from lots of people and still havent got the name of a good text book.I know reading kaplan or just the regulars are not gonna do me any good the next time round as i havent fixed my basics in these subjects.If you could suggest any text books or something,that would be gr8.And...all the very best to you.

Although I didn't use this book, many people on this forum suggest use of Lippincott's Biochemistry. I have seen numerous people suggest this for that subject. Otherwise, you just have to master certain topics which come up again and again i.e. regulatory enzymes for all major pathways (eg.for Kreb's, PPP, cholesterol synthesis, glycolysis, glycogenolysis, f.a. synthesis, etc). The old exams can lead you to the most important areas. Moreover, I have rarely if every gone through a board exam that didn't ask a physio question regarding the synthesis of collagen (usually asking where vitamin C/ascorbic acid is used). If you didn't already know, you DO have to know the Uric acid cycle and where the nitrogen molecules come into the picture. There are trendy subjects that you can master and score well on the exam without knowing everything.

As for physio, its a very broad subject... but again the old exams will lead you into subjects that are popularly tested. Enzymology (Km, Vmax, allosteric regulators) are commonly tested. Acid-base control is extremely important for biologic processes an is always tested because it relates to all kinds of processes and diseases like diabetes. Respiratory volumes are commonly tested along with the effects of altitude/pH/2,3-DPG/etc. Circulatory physio is always tested eg. where does blood flow fastest, where is pressure the highest, compliance the greatest, surface area of vessels greatest? You can find this kind of information in the dental decks and by going thru old exams - they are really a nice guide. And yes, the exams from the 1980's are not all that outdated and will lead you into good understanding of biochem/physio subject matter that you will commonly see on test day.

Other than that, I used First Aide despite many mistakes in its context and I felt that it was a nice supplement. Never forget to keep wikipedia at your fingertips and good luck!

Breakdown:

Anatomic: 86 (64.6 avg)
Biochem/Phys: 76 (60.4 avg)
Micro/Path: 85 (65 avg)
DA/Occ: 85 (73.4 avg)

Total Raw: 332
Comp: 91

I'm happy enough with my comp score although I was hoping for a little more. My biochem/phys performance was down significantly from my practice tests (~10 points) which I'm disappointed about (it sounds like other people felt the same). I went through the decks which, honestly, was kind of a waste of time. I also used the kaplan lecture notes (which I liked a lot) and the kaplan q-bank (hard but good). I started going over old exams too late -- should have started earlier -- but made a point of learning everything I could from the questions I got wrong. In the end, I know I could have put more time into studying for this exam and I could have budgeted my time better, however, I'm not really sure how much that would have translated into a higher score. PM me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Breakdown:

Anatomic: 86 (64.6 avg)
Biochem/Phys: 76 (60.4 avg)
Micro/Path: 85 (65 avg)
DA/Occ: 85 (73.4 avg)

Total Raw: 332
Comp: 91

I'm happy enough with my comp score although I was hoping for a little more. My biochem/phys performance was down significantly from my practice tests (~10 points) which I'm disappointed about (it sounds like other people felt the same). I went through the decks which, honestly, was kind of a waste of time. I also used the kaplan lecture notes (which I liked a lot) and the kaplan q-bank (hard but good). I started going over old exams too late -- should have started earlier -- but made a point of learning everything I could from the questions I got wrong. In the end, I know I could have put more time into studying for this exam and I could have budgeted my time better, however, I'm not really sure how much that would have translated into a higher score. PM me if you have any questions.

congratulations on ur great score. i am preparing to retake it , since i got just 82 the first time. i am really confused as to whether i should be doing the kaplan nbde, usmle, brs. i am comfortable with kaplan nbde ,since i did the last time. ia m going through the decks too and first aid. i dint do many papers the last time so will focus more on them, but i really want some guidance as to weather i should be doin usmale books. please guide me regarding this. also , i am a foreign trained dentist and graduated 6 yrs back. how many months did you need to prepare for the exam??

please do guide me regarding this exam.
congratulations once again and thanks in advance.

well, you know you can pass it but being an FTD you're going for a high score, right? So I'd focus on BRS or usmle material as suggested by other people on this forum (something I didn't do but wish I had). My impression is those materials are more detailed than the regular dental stuff and can help you get a few more points on some of the more obscure questions. Also, take the old tests and try to learn everything you possibly can about the questions you get wrong -- and if in reading about that topic you run into something else you're not aware of read up on that too! I actually like wikipedia because you can read about something and just click on the links for subjects you don't know about. Hope that helps, good luck!

well, you know you can pass it but being an FTD you're going for a high score, right? So I'd focus on BRS or usmle material as suggested by other people on this forum (something I didn't do but wish I had). My impression is those materials are more detailed than the regular dental stuff and can help you get a few more points on some of the more obscure questions. Also, take the old tests and try to learn everything you possibly can about the questions you get wrong -- and if in reading about that topic you run into something else you're not aware of read up on that too! I actually like wikipedia because you can read about something and just click on the links for subjects you don't know about. Hope that helps, good luck!

thank you so much. yes, i agree that bers and all other usmle books are more detailed. i will do them. and yes wiki is a great source. thanks again.

So for those of you who have taken the exam and done well, would you recommend just using something like the nbde lecture notes for everything, or getting a separate book for each (like the brs series, micro made easy, Rapid review path, etc.)? What would you consider to be the best book for each section if that is the better way to go?

Hello everyone, and congratulations for everbody got good score, BUT, as used this thread before, can you guys help other who still going to take the test by recommend the best way to study, I will list some of the sources and please tell us what is the best to get the best score. and I hope this will help any one else who is looking for sources.
Kaplan nbde book
kaplan dentessentials
dental decks
First aid
Usemel
crack the nbde software
kaplan q bank
dental board busters
finally thanks in advance for you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, and congratulations for everbody got good score, BUT, as used this thread before, can you guys help other who still going to take the test by recommend the best way to study, I will list some of the sources and please tell us what is the best to get the best score. and I hope this will help any one else who is looking for sources.
Kaplan nbde book
kaplan dentessentials
dental decks
First aid
Usemel
crack the nbde software
kaplan q bank
dental board busters
finally thanks in advance for you all.

The best way to prepare for the exam is to do well in your classes; pay attention, and do your best to learn and retain as much as possible over a long period of time. Try to apply the information you learn, especially in clinical situations, since this will help solidify the knowledge in your brain and application of knowledge to clinical situations is what dentistry is about. It is very difficult to cram for a couple weeks and score well if you lack a solid foundation, although studying is an important way to build on what you learned in class and refresh your memory.

In the months and weeks leading up to the exam, identify your weak areas and focus on those. Use released exams and the published rubric of questions to identify subject areas that are tested. Everyone has different study habits, strengths, and weaknesses, so generalizations from me or anyone else about studying are probably not that useful to you.

That said, choose the study resources that best augment your weak areas. For me, I used old class notes to refresh my memory on all topics, then I used First Aid and Kaplan dentEssentials on the areas that were my weaknesses. I used decks only in limited fashion, mostly because of the fragmented nature and multiple errors. Use old exams as tests to see how you are progressing and continually evaluate progress on each subject area, adapting your strategy as you go.

Do not overextend yourself while studying: it is important to eat well, sleep well, and take many breaks to keep yourself fresh. This also applies on the test day; no matter how great your preparation, if you are anything but fully focused on the test day, you may perform badly and all your work would be in vain.

If you took the NEW format NBDE Part 1, please post your results here:

Raw score:
Final score:

Thanks!!
hi gave my part 1 in dec09.
Raw Score 358
final 98

can any one help me what to do now? should i give part 2 also or should i apply?

First I read the decks. Then I give the old tests to see how is the exam actually. Then 2 months I take break and read Qur'an. I made reschedule so I not show my right I.D. I read again the decks, and gave test with presence of great Allah and...WE GO...99!!!
are you trying to be funny.....
believe me its not funny

When I saw your score I just wanted to say congratulation on your 98
I just started studying the NBDE two days ago, so I'm still far away from any exam...

So can you tell from your great experience what I should study..

and is it easy to schedule an exam date or is it busy so need to register before a long time.

Congrats again

Rami

Just got my result today. Took it on Jan 5. Very happy :)

Composite score - 98

Anatomic Science - 89
Biochem/Phys - 85
Microbio/Path - 92
Dental Anat/Occlusion - 91

This is a good thread to help us estimate our scores and notice any changes in 2010 scoring system. Good luck to everyone who's waiting for their results. :love:

This is a good thread to help us estimate our scores and notice any changes in 2010 scoring system. Good luck to everyone who's waiting for their results. :love:

Me and a couple buddies that studied together got our scores in mid January.

Raw: 343
Com: 94

Raw: 347
Com: 95

Raw: 364
Com: 98

Raw: 327
Com: 90

Hope this helps

Me and a couple buddies that studied together got our scores in mid January.

Raw: 343
Com: 94

Raw: 347
Com: 95

Raw: 364
Com: 98

Raw: 327
Com: 90

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply and information. I think these data could help people to schedule their time and make decisions. Are you attending UoP? How's the school there? UoP is famous for its high tuition rate and high living expanses. Is that ture?

Thank you for your reply and information. I think these data could help people to schedule their time and make decisions. Are you attending UoP? How's the school there? UoP is famous for its high tuition rate and high living expanses. Is that ture?

I like to think we're famous for being an awesome school that puts out great dentists. But yes, there is also outrageous tuition and living expenses.

You get what you pay for.

HI All ,
I just received my score 2 days ago, I did it on 17 feb 2010 and it was
raw score 352
comp score 94

HI All ,
I just received my score 2 days ago, I did it on 17 feb 2010 and it was
raw score 352
comp score 94

very very congratulations diaz,It z a awesome score.
I m waiting for my results,in which place u appeared for ur exam?pls let me know,too tensed.
congrats n best of luck for ur admission.

Hi, I have not taken the exam yet... in May, this thread is very useful. I am subscribing. Thank you all for posting on this thread.

How know difference between kaplan lecture notes and review book.and i find only usmle lecture notes. I want to prepare by usmle notes.is it ok?

Merhaba
tebrikler cok iyi puan
bende 1 ay sonra sinava girmek uzereyim. Sinava calistigin notlar nelerdi lutfen yaza bilir misin?

previet
kak examin ! mnogo povtorov iz asda ....
ya budu sdavat v iyule! shto mozesh posovetovat..
spasibo..

raw: 296/400
composite: 84

Anatomy: 75 (65.7)
Bio/Phys: 63 (60.8)
Micro/Path: 71 (65.4)
DA/Occl: 87 (74.3)

Hello ,
Congratulation on your score. My exam is in September, since I am mom of 3 small kids I can't put 12-14 hours to study I am getting 79 with asda papers and q bank Kaplan ~80, yes I have experience with exam master as well APPROX. 82 ,currently i am having panic attak ,because I really want this and I want to get highest score as possible,please any advise from you . How was the exam ? Did you take in 2010? Thank you and I hope you will reply soon

Privet , kak vi sdali ekzamen ? Podskajite pojaluista u menya ekzamen v sentebre.I nadeyus' u vas vse poluchilosi

I've got 86 in part 1. my ece gpa is 3.6. also i have phd degree in prosthodontics with ece gpa 3.8. toefl 104. i have 15 publications in Usa(8), Turkey(3), Azerbaijan(4) , 2 poster presentations in Bulgaria and 1 book in Azerbaijani about overdenture prosthesis. I have teaching experience in preclinic and clinic level for 4 years. what is my chances to get admission. I have really confused with Nbde score which i received.

Stom705
Ur status is very good , ofcoarse ull get admission, just apply..
all best..

I've got 86 in part 1. my ece gpa is 3.6. also i have phd degree in prosthodontics with ece gpa 3.8. toefl 104. i have 15 publications in Usa(8), Turkey(3), Azerbaijan(4) , 2 poster presentations in Bulgaria and 1 book in Azerbaijani about overdenture prosthesis. I have teaching experience in preclinic and clinic level for 4 years. what is my chances to get admission. I have really confused with Nbde score which i received.

you have a great chance of getting in, but if you want to increase your chances by a lot, I suggest taking part II even with you good credentials.