NBDE part 1 2010: Raw scores & Comp score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riseup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
For all those who have taken their NBDE part 1 in 2010, please share your Raw scores and Composite scores.
It would help the prospective students have an idea about the scoring pattern as it's a ONE TRY exam only if you pass!

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Well let me put it this way so simple!
if u want a 90 then u have to do wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than decks and NBDE ist aid ,,belive me..what u really need is KAPLAN book then ull be fine...yes +all of ASDA papers !

Hope iam clear..!:cool:

If u go and write ur exam by just doin decks and nbde ist aid,,it not goin to take u more than 80-83..

Bye take care and study good.

All I did was Dental decks and old exams...

if you memorize every word on the decks you'll get 90

CONGRATULATIONS.....gr8 job!!!:thumbup::thumbup::)
U CUD HELP US BY POSTING UR EXPERIENCE...like how did u study,how many hours,wad all materials did u refer.... n lastly sm tips 4 all da exm going students...thanx

I would say I spent 4-5 months because I took about 20- 25 days off in these 5 months from studies on 2 occasions. I started studies with about 9-12 hours in the beginning and in the last 2 months tried to make it more than 12 hours though its very variable. I feel one needs to set realistic targets, to begin with and plan in the beginning of the preparation as to when is the last date by when "you HAVE TO take the exam". Then set goals according to each month and try to achieve them on a day to day basis. Even if we do not get to achieve a target on one day, try to cover a little more what you set out for. I studied Biochemistry, Pathology and Microbiology from USMLE lecture notes. Physiology from Linda Costanzo [BRS physiology] and Kaplan review, depending on how much I could study from where and retain. Anatomy from Kaplan Review thoroughly with supplemental study from my undergraduate books i.e. Inderbir singh (head and neck,essentials of anatomy book, histology and embryology; books). Dental Anatomy; the morphology from various sources by making notes from Decks/ NBDE first aid/Kaplan/Fullers/Wheelers, and TMJ & Occlusion from Okeson, Orbans and Kaplan review. Multiple reviewing of whatever you have read is the key, I believe. Try to consolidate what we have read into one source, like making notes for Dental Anatomy,Occlusion, Biochemistry, Anatomy etc. they help you in the end days, and save time. Look at lot of Diagrams for anatomy, and DA, they help you store information easily in the head. Make single flow charts for a particular group like Carbohydrates together, it helps remember things with inter-linkages, for biochemistry. All these things helped me. I was aiming for a little higher score but still I wouldn't crib. Would put hard work in what is left for now.
Hope this helps all of us yet to take the exam. Good luck.

I would say I spent 4-5 months because I took about 20- 25 days off in these 5 months from studies on 2 occasions. I started studies with about 9-12 hours in the beginning and in the last 2 months tried to make it more than 12 hours though its very variable. I feel one needs to set realistic targets, to begin with and plan in the beginning of the preparation as to when is the last date by when "you HAVE TO take the exam". Then set goals according to each month and try to achieve them on a day to day basis. Even if we do not get to achieve a target on one day, try to cover a little more what you set out for. I studied Biochemistry, Pathology and Microbiology from USMLE lecture notes. Physiology from Linda Costanzo [BRS physiology] and Kaplan review, depending on how much I could study from where and retain. Anatomy from Kaplan Review thoroughly with supplemental study from my undergraduate books i.e. Inderbir singh (head and neck,essentials of anatomy book, histology and embryology; books). Dental Anatomy; the morphology from various sources by making notes from Decks/ NBDE first aid/Kaplan/Fullers/Wheelers, and TMJ & Occlusion from Okeson, Orbans and Kaplan review. Multiple reviewing of whatever you have read is the key, I believe. Try to consolidate what we have read into one source, like making notes for Dental Anatomy,Occlusion, Biochemistry, Anatomy etc. they help you in the end days, and save time. Look at lot of Diagrams for anatomy, and DA, they help you store information easily in the head. Make single flow charts for a particular group like Carbohydrates together, it helps remember things with inter-linkages, for biochemistry. All these things helped me. I was aiming for a little higher score but still I wouldn't crib. Would put hard work in what is left for now.
Hope this helps all of us yet to take the exam. Good luck.

Thanks ddsaspi .. you really prepared well for the boards ... but looking at your preparation , i'm loosing confidence in myself since i have been concentrating mainly on decks , first aid and old question papers... i am unable to get through with this and finding it hard to incorporate Kaplan in my study schedule.. i 'm an average student and appearing for boards very soon ( hardly any days )... i wonder if there are people in the same boat as me :oops:
is it really impossible to get late 80's with my sort of preparation :scared:hoping for some feedback :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ddsaspi .. you really prepared well for the boards ... but looking at your preparation , i'm loosing confidence in myself since i have been concentrating mainly on decks , first aid and old question papers... i am unable to get through with this and finding it hard to incorporate Kaplan in my study schedule.. i 'm an average student and appearing for boards very soon ( hardly any days )... i wonder if there are people in the same boat as me :oops:
is it really impossible to get late 80's with my sort of preparation :scared:hoping for some feedback :xf:
you are not the only one cindrella ,even i'm having hard time managing reviewing stuff frm decks kaplan n doin ques at same time.i guess it happens to evryone .just have faith in yourself and keep working hard.

I do not know what to say on this but earlier when I started I was also listening to a lot of people around me, but some where down the line I realized that what works for others is not working for me so I changed the whole methodology and stuck to my conviction. Many people even used to discourage me that I have not read decks more than1 or 1n a half times, but I believed to stick to the material which I read. Instead of doing decks like 3 -4 times I concentrated more on my own material and then supplementing it with USMLE first AID which is a way better resource than the NBDE first AID, its because of the fact that in NBDE first aid they have left a lot of important information considering that our exam is easier than USMLE step 1.
I feel the additional material I used made me get a more comprehensive knowledge of the subjects while USMLE first aid helping me retain the high yield stuff.

I did the ASDA papers while I was preparing and just did the combined papers majorly in the end, to access my preparation. Also I did not at all look through L, M, N series till the very end, so as whatever I was scoring was not because of any repeated answers which I knew.
Just go and write the exam when you are confident of the preparation. Doesn't matter how late you do that, because its a single take exam and its gonna have complete impact on shaping our career ahead. Good Luck.

@ pb2007 yep... thanks a lot ... Good luck :thumbup: Do well !

@ddsaspi yeah u r right... at the end its about how much we retain and are able to apply ... :thumbup: thanks and good luck

hey when did u finish ur dentistry, from where,country
i have DD qs from 1977 rudman+ ASDA + remembered qso
i have been away from dental studies since long
i am doubtful about concepts(clarity & perfection)
u have wrriten that if one knows every word of DD by heart then one can get a 90%
can i still get a 90% if i just read the DD every word by heart as you mentioned in ur post or thread pls reply back on email : [email protected]
or can cal me 678 851 0899

thk u

All I did was Dental decks and old exams...

if you memorize every word on the decks you'll get 90

I agree, same materials I used and I'm a regular dental student...and I got over 90...and I believe, retention and understanding of material is important when studying since many q-ns test your understanding of material,not just pure facts :)
Good luck to all.

I agree, same materials I used and I'm a regular dental student...and I got over 90...and I believe, retention and understanding of material is important when studying since many q-ns test your understanding of material,not just pure facts :)
Good luck to all.
Hey congratulations!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Good luck to all.

Exactly, you got right to the point. Pure memorization can only get you so far, application of the stuff you crammed in and doing it on test day is what will push the score to 90+... especially stuff like dental anatomy where you need to apply information to score high. :thumbup:

I am an international trained dentist, planning to join AS Program.
I took my exam for NBDE Part I on 27th August 2010, at Houston.
I am posting this for your information and assessment of raw and composite scores :

My scores are:
Composite score 99
Raw scores are
anatomy 91
B&P 88
Dental anatomy and occlusion 91
M&P 93

i tried attempting asda papers... how would u co relate asda practice score out of 200 with a score in nbde ??

means , when should i start feeling confident of getting a score above 85 , if i try asda papers (with what score of some asda question paper )?

My gpa 3.83,part 1 score -89,three months observership in US.is this sufficient to apply for the universities for the yr 2011?or i shud clear part 2 also? please help

I am an international trained dentist, planning to join AS Program.
I took my exam for NBDE Part I on 27th August 2010, at Houston.
I am posting this for your information and assessment of raw and composite scores :

My scores are:
Composite score 99
Raw scores are
anatomy 91
B&P 88
Dental anatomy and occlusion 91
M&P 93

congrats on the 99

i'm sure you'll have your choice of advanced standing programs

Last edited: