NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got my Part II result today with raw score of 380/500 and composite score of 84%.

I read part II dental deck 04 version once and did the released exam once. I used the released exams as mock exam during my prep and scored 60-75%.

Overall experience, compare to part I, part II was not so hard to pass but not easy to get 90+.

I read the technical report which has analysis and statistic of part 1 and 2. Year 2006 and going backward the passing score was about 52-55% of your raw score which was 75% standardized score. The failing rate for accredited people was ~10% and of nonaccredited candidates was 40-50%. In this thread somebody mentioned he got 55% or 271/500 but failed with 71% composite score. I assumed the minimum passing raw score is higher in 2008.

My recommendation, especially for the nonaccredited folks is to study a little harder and get all the helps you could. Get a tutor if needed. I suggest you team up with a 4th year dental student.

Now I am counting down to my graduation. That is 108 days or 2592 hours to go.

Good luck to all preparing for part II

Got my Part II result today with raw score of 380/500 and composite score of 84%.

I read part II dental deck 04 version once and did the released exam once. I used the released exams as mock exam during my prep and scored 60-75%.

Overall experience, compare to part I, part II was not so hard to pass but not easy to get 90+.

I read the technical report which has analysis and statistic of part 1 and 2. Year 2006 and going backward the passing score was about 52-55% of your raw score which was 75% standardized score. The failing rate for accredited people was ~10% and of nonaccredited candidates was 40-50%. In this thread somebody mentioned he got 55% or 271/500 but failed with 71% composite score. I assumed the minimum passing raw score is higher in 2008.

My recommendation, especially for the nonaccredited folks is to study a little harder and get all the helps you could. Get a tutor if needed. I suggest you team up with a 4th year dental student.

Thanks, and congrats on passing with a good score, also thanks for the technical report and sharing your views on exams. Goodluck for your graduation.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any one know how part II is graded. If day one ways more than day two, also what % each day ways out of the whole score. Because the first time I took the exam I got 276/500 and ended up with a 71. out of that I got 51 on the case based. but the second time around I got 370/500 and ended up with 74. and out of thatiI got 39 in the case based . So I am wondering if both days weigh the same amount or how is it calculated. Does any one know.

Thanks please I need answers.

Hi Doc ,
Can you please post the technical report which has analysis and statistics for NBDE, I would appreciated it , lot of doubt would be cleared. Thanks in advance.:luck:

here is the link to ADA NBDE tech report.
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/technical_report_complete.pdf

good luck to all

Hi may I ask you about what's the most efficient way of preparing for the pharmacolgy part. Are decks and mosby along with NBDE first aid sufficient enough?. I've started usng one of the BRS for pharma, and I feel like im just wasting my time on somthings since the text written somtimes seem to be really detailed. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Hi may I ask you about what's the most efficient way of preparing for the pharmacolgy part. Are decks and mosby along with NBDE first aid sufficient enough?. I've started usng one of the BRS for pharma, and I feel like im just wasting my time on somthings since the text written somtimes seem to be really detailed. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I think you should concentrate on knowing the systems concept rather then the content of the material, If you know basic nicely you will be able to solve any Q.i hope it help.:thumbup:

hi all, im going to start my part2 preparation. plz tell me,how to start?shld i start with the decks?how long it takes for part 2 preparation?im a FTD,so wana how much time i require for my prep

hi all, im going to start my part2 preparation. plz tell me,how to start?shld i start with the decks?how long it takes for part 2 preparation?im a FTD,so wana how much time i require for my prep

Start with Deck and release Q papers, then you venture your view on different subject as to how much you have gain knowledge.:thumbup:

:thumbup: hello everyone, just wondering how everyone is doing with their preparation? As for me, I can't say that it isn't too bad. I've been studying for about a month and a half now. I've started with Mosby and some text books, and recently just started doing decks and the questions from Mosby, since im still waiting for my ADSA papers to be delivered...Anyway, let's keep this thread a live to help us get thru this ordeal.

Hey guys, I am taking part II in two weeks, a little bit anxious :( did anyone hear about the new pattern??? did they change it???
wish me luck guys.....

The exam is not any different from the previous version. The distribution of questions was as announced, the resolution of radiographs was poor, ~ three questions on endocarditis prophylaxis (read new guidelines). 30 % of questions were derived from released exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for checking me..yeah i was too lazy to do some research, so just posted my doubt.

Hi. Congrats. A very good score!!

Can you send me dental decks online?

Thanks.

I took the exam in early December of 2007. I thought it was very difficult. I ended up with a composite score of 90. I went through the decks once and looked at the released exam questions (1991, 1993, 2006 compilation).

Hi,
Can someone tell me where I can find exams of past years....pleeeeeease!
thank u:)

you will find it online on ASDA just google it and buy it online.
Did any one gave NBDE-2 in feb please share your exp thanks.:thumbup:

Some where on the website i had found that if you score 275 out of 500 then its a passing score in NBDE-2 so go for it if you have a target:p:oops:

R u sure Mitapat???
I really need ur advice guys!!! i was sick the last week :( i did`nt study well in the past 6 days and unfortunately i am taking my exam this week (4 days left) i really don`t know what to do:( i am really so confused:confused:

If its 4 days left then just solve Q's from release paper and may be your notes and now relax as you r done, if you take tension at this time then its not worth it, just trust yourself and do it with best of your knowledge till now, rest just have faith in God , you will be fine.
Dont read a day before exam try to relax , just brush up with what ever you have and go with a relax mind on the day of exam. goodluck.:thumbup:

Push back the exam 10-14 days and study like crazy. You don't want uncertainty lingering over your preparation

i would just take it. quit putting it off. i don't get how people can study for months for this dang test. I took it this past week, after studying for 4 days. We'll see what the score is, but the test really isn't as bad as everybody makes it out to be. I'm not looking to rock it, just pass.

I agree with doncorleone. I studied for maybe a week. I barely got through the decks once (while watching TV), and went though half of the '93 released exam. I ended up with an 88. The questions you're going to miss are because of the lame radiographs that they expect you to diagnose from. I would RELAX and just remember that you have been doing this for four years. I would hope that you retained some of it. Good luck

Thanks for your input, it is true from your prospective point of view as you guys did schooling here , just think about foreign dental grads who has completely different way of testing and the effort they have to put to a new system. Anyway its nice to know that exam is kind of easy!!!!!.

hello SDN,
I gave my part II yesterday,
it wasn't bad,
the questions were not repeated from previous exams,
so u need to study hard,
read all the major textbooks while going through the decks so that u can understand the concept,
one has to be very thorough with ORAL PATH & PHARMAC.
also the clinical pictures & radiographs presented in the cases were of excellent quality, no pbm with clarity at all
be sure to read & see all the clinical pictures/radiographs in each case,
on day 2 keep up a little pace, u wud like to go over all the cases again ,
most importantly don't panic,
keep cool & study hard for the exam!!!!!
i will surely post my score once i get it.
all the best to everybody!!!!!

Hi guys,

I really appreciate every single post here in this forum .GOD bless all of you !

Actually I have question regarding NBDE2 study guide , I am wondering which is better (Mosby or first aid) I am really confuse on which one should I relay on rather than decks ,dental secret, master dentistry and old exam...

any suggestions guys! Thank you in advance :)

For those of you that took part II in feb, have any of you actually received your scores yet? I took mine a few days after the block out period in feb and am still waiting...

I took mine 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting as well ...........

allright future dentites i got my results back and THANK GOD i passed. But please do not understimate this exam. I personally think it is mucho harder than part 1 to pass. I know of 2 people that easily passed part 1 but flunked the part 2.

I got approximately 350 out 500 right and ended up with a composite score of 81. A freind of mine got 271 out of 500 right and got a 71. He is depressed as hell. Do yourself a favor and make it a one time exprience.

Good luck to everyone.
eh can u tell me if u need to sell ur decks nd all exam stuff ...i am new nd need to buy from sumone..thanks d congrats:hardy:

[hi

Please can you tell me as to where i could get released exam questions (1991, 1993, 2006 compilation.

Would appreciate your response.

Thanks

I called yesterday on the status of my exam and it's still being processed:mad:

As per the released exams, my school supplied us with a fairly large exam packet including the 91,93 and 06 and much more.

Hey guys, i got my result today, i got 342 out of 500 and ended up with only 78 :(
the exam was soooooo hard, but i expected a higher score :(
Good luck to all of you.

hi SDN,
today i got my Part II scores,
i scored 85%,
got 390/500 on day 1
& 55/100 on day 2 (patient management clinical cases)
i got way above the national mean on day 1 in all the subjects, but was lower than the national mean on day 2.
still i am pretty satisfied with my scores of 91 in part I & 85% in Part II.
i am already in PENN & therefore now can start my schooling happily & without any burden.
thanks SDN,
all the best to people preparing for it.!!!
work hard.:thumbup:

Congratulations Kapadiakk. It's a very good score.. I am also planning to give my part 2 exam in may.. Can you plz suggest me what all books to read and also what books to refer for day 2 exam... Right now I am focussing on decks and old papers...
Any help will be greatly appreciated...

hi SDN,
today i got my Part II scores,
i scored 85%,
got 390/500 on day 1
& 55/100 on day 2 (patient management clinical cases)
i got way above the national mean on day 1 in all the subjects, but was lower than the national mean on day 2.
still i am pretty satisfied with my scores of 91 in part I & 85% in Part II.
i am already in PENN & therefore now can start my schooling happily & without any burden.
thanks SDN,
all the best to people preparing for it.!!!
work hard.:thumbup:

is this a typo? 390/500 on the first day? I thought the entire exam had 500 items in all?

kapadiakk, congratulations on passing the exam! Just wondering how long did it take for you to study the materials you mentioned in your previous post? In your estimation what percentage of repeated questions showed up or there was nothing at all? Thanks for your help and good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Its a nice score. I have a Q , It is true guys that you need to clear or stay above mean average in certain subject. I gave this exam earlier and i got stuck on 74% even though my # of Q right was 350/500 , I had cross mean in three subject above national average and rest were just near to national average, but ome how could not figure out as to how they calculate the result. I did talk to the ADA regarding my results and their reply was , We dont give it to public as to how we calculate your result based on statistics. Its frustrating as i should be in 80's based on amount of Q correct abd the curve they give it.
Please send in your input as its always appreciated. Thanks.:thumbup:

Hello everyone.

I think this is an important issue, which may concern all of us. I thought I would bring it up for discussion here, and share it with you all.

"Recently, the Joint Commission of National Dental Examination has unanimously voted to move the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) Part I and II to a pass/non pass format by 2010.

One additional idea circulating among many dental educators is to merge the two board exams into one single, clinically relevant and integrated exam."

Please tell me your opinion.:thumbup:

Hello everyone.

I think this is an important issue, which may concern all of us. I thought I would bring it up for discussion here, and share it with you all.

"Recently, the Joint Commission of National Dental Examination has unanimously voted to move the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) Part I and II to a pass/non pass format by 2010.

One additional idea circulating among many dental educators is to merge the two board exams into one single, clinically relevant and integrated exam."

Please tell me your opinion.:thumbup:
hi..where did u read this..on their website?
i guess.it wud be tiring and hard to read sooo many subjects and recollect them during the exam....

hi..am reading for part 2.can anyone tell me how much time to give to part 2 prep aration and are decks, old papers and mosby enough to read?i dnt hav any text books with me....
also, ow is kaplan book for part 2?
any response will be really appreciated

Anybody spent additional hundred bucks for an 8.5x11" NBDE certificate. Just wondering how beautiful this paper is after so much stressssss and $$$. It's not a bad idea hanging it in your office!

Hey guys, i got my result today, i got 342 out of 500 and ended up with only 78 :(
the exam was soooooo hard, but i expected a higher score :(
Good luck to all of you.

did you get 342 include the case based questions ??? because if you count the clinical cases it should be 342 out 600.thank you

did you get 342 include the case based questions ??? because if you count the clinical cases it should be 342 out 600.thank you

Yes i had 342 out of 500 Q as each half on day one was 200each and 100 Q on day 2, Now i am confuse like hell and dont know whats happening here some guys gets 600 Q overall while some gets 500Q per exam, I dont know what is ADA up to and how they calculate the result. If this is so then I was not given a fair share, may be the system is a failure. Anyway i tried to talk to ADA and they told me that we cant give it to public the way we score your report. It itself sound fishy.............. I wounder with the talk going around ADA about theNBDE part1,2 making a single exam sound that the resent system had a flaws. You know guys just Goodluck to all guys who has passed the exam and lots of luck to all who are about to give. Its just insane to find yourself into system which is yet to be perfect.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Also Dr samo in how many subject did you cross national mean, i mean above national mean. Please tell me as i am keeping a track of it as well in trying to understand the system

There is a TOTAL of 500 questions in part II.

In day 1 there are 400Q which which are randomly tested.

In day 2 there are 100Q case based.

The results candidates received are broken down to different disciplines which are added up to 500Q. This includes 400 random questions and 100 case based questions.

The candidates are also informed of how many questions they scored out of 100 case based questions.

To calculate your raw score just add what you get in all disciplines. This should not exceed 500. IGNORE the case base portion. 100 case based questions are already dissected and assigned to all disciplines.

Hope this helps in determining your raw score and not creating any more confusion.

i just took it and i'm waiting for the result and so stresssss out, but when i saw my friend result ,what i understoud is that the 100 q case based are included in within the other parts ,wish is mean for example ,my friend got 328 total but in reality he got 328-51(case items) = 277 out of 500 (make sense?????) but he scored 73% . i think you got 342 - case items = exactly what you got out of 500 but what you did is counting the case items twice.