NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hi guys.......
i got done with my part 2 today......hated day 2. wanted to give it up half way thru:(....day one was okay......keeping my fingers crossed for the result.it was quite a comprehensive exam overall.....cant really quote any discrete questions....overall i found the periodontology questions to be the most difficult!
good luck to all who have yet to give it.

Well just hope for the best , and now don't worry just relax. Thanks for posting your experience.:thumbup::luck:

hi guys.......
i got done with my part 2 today......hated day 2. wanted to give it up half way thru:(....day one was okay......keeping my fingers crossed for the result.it was quite a comprehensive exam overall.....cant really quote any discrete questions....overall i found the periodontology questions to be the most difficult!
good luck to all who have yet to give it.
hi
iam going to take part 2 in 10 days. so was tthe exam difficult?i mean is it very different from 1993 relased items? any topics we need 2 focus which r not especially coverd in decks? how come perio is difficult ? were the qs not similar to relaesd papers? thanks fr any help. good luck to u.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
iam going to take part 2 in 10 days. so was tthe exam difficult?i mean is it very different from 1993 relased items? any topics we need 2 focus which r not especially coverd in decks? how come perio is difficult ? were the qs not similar to relaesd papers? thanks fr any help. good luck to u.

it was not difficult.....but the second day did not go well for me. was unsure about a lot of questions. it is actually the same if not easier than the released exams. lots of repeated qs.
see the use of local medicaments in perio therapy......implants are not adequate from decks. i did that from contemporary surgery....do it well from any surgery book . lots of qs on ept and thermal testing. reductions for all sorts of crowns.....i dont remember much...:)

it was not difficult.....but the second day did not go well for me. was unsure about a lot of questions. it is actually the same if not easier than the released exams. lots of repeated qs.
see the use of local medicaments in perio therapy......implants are not adequate from decks. i did that from contemporary surgery....do it well from any surgery book . lots of qs on ept and thermal testing. reductions for all sorts of crowns.....i dont remember much...:)

Hi do you now how long would take to get your results???

Thanks

Hi,
I think it takes 2 week for the result to come at your doorstep, One of my friend got his results in 3 days after his exam do just wait , it will come pretty soon. Goodluck.
I think the pattern remains the same as 93 released exam but , they twist the Q;s in such a way that it changes the outcome completly as far as answer is concern, Implant Q are tough, read from what ever you get it. There are lot of general Q regarding behavioral science, epidemiology which i think they kind of mix it in a way they Q falls in ortho, perio , or any other subject area, and that might be the reason guys fall into trap and dont score much in part-2 coz it brings your score down in that subject, and ultimately your overall score. Its a big jumble that happens in the 2 day exam, all you have to do is try to be confident and put down your best available guess on the day of exam , i think that goes with all part-2 exam candidates. I hope this help.
Put down your opinion, it might help many other people out there. Thanks to you all.:thumbup:

Hi,
I think it takes 2 week for the result to come at your doorstep, One of my friend got his results in 3 days after his exam do just wait , it will come pretty soon. Goodluck.
I think the pattern remains the same as 93 released exam but , they twist the Q;s in such a way that it changes the outcome completly as far as answer is concern, Implant Q are tough, read from what ever you get it. There are lot of general Q regarding behavioral science, epidemiology which i think they kind of mix it in a way they Q falls in ortho, perio , or any other subject area, and that might be the reason guys fall into trap and dont score much in part-2 coz it brings your score down in that subject, and ultimately your overall score. Its a big jumble that happens in the 2 day exam, all you have to do is try to be confident and put down your best available guess on the day of exam , i think that goes with all part-2 exam candidates. I hope this help.
Put down your opinion, it might help many other people out there. Thanks to you all.:thumbup:
I haven't taken the exam yet.. I wanted to take it the first week of january, so I could apply to NJ dental school, but I changed my mind because I don't have enough time to study everything well...I don't know if it is worthy to kill myself studying if I maybe I would not have the results on time to apply...so I just I applied to NYU and Boston with my first part of the exam...

Hi,

hi
thanks fr all ur inputs abt part2. di u finish ur part 2?
how much did u score? thanks.

Hi i did pass in upper 70's but was not satisfied with , so planning to take it again.:thumbup:

I had above ave score in it, I just studied deck,release exams,first aids usmle. I think you will get a good idea from released exam as to what kind of Q's that would be.:thumbup:

hi i got 76 on part 2 i dont know if its adequate enuff to apply in Nj i have already applied waioting for the response i dont know wat usually an average score is like in part 2.. overall it was a confusing exam leaving u overwhelmed..

I dont know what going on UMDNJ , Every college has their own criteria for selection, just keep your finger crossed and wait for their response. Goodluck my dear. thats all i can say.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
got my result.....finally 82........ filled in the new jersey application yesterday.....i hope this looks respectable to them. :(

isn't passing 75% I heard you just need to get roughly 50% raw score. Is this true?

thanks mitpat......
posted my applications two days ago........did you apply to nj?

everyone here....
please have a good nights sleep before the exam.......it really tests your stamina. i am sure people who have already written it will agree with me here.......

good luck to all:oops:

Hi Everybody,
First off, I want to thank you for all your advice. I just took the test on tuesday and wednesday. I agree with saru88, that it is a test of stamine. it seems like a very long test when you take it. Questions are confusing. Right now, I am scared that I failed. I would really appreciate any encouragement from any sdn members :( This was my second time taking this exam :(( I got a 72 the first time and if I don't pass it this time, it means I don't graduate from school :(

dont worry....you ll pass. when i came out after day 2 i thought all the effort has gone wasted.....felt as if i had hardly gotten 20 right on day 2! one is totally exhausted after day 2....
you ll pass and graduate.....if i hadnt passed, i wouldnt have even had the chance to enter dental school for avanced standing:oops:
Hi Everybody,
First off, I want to thank you for all your advice. I just took the test on tuesday and wednesday. I agree with saru88, that it is a test of stamine. it seems like a very long test when you take it. Questions are confusing. Right now, I am scared that I failed. I would really appreciate any encouragement from any sdn members :( This was my second time taking this exam :(( I got a 72 the first time and if I don't pass it this time, it means I don't graduate from school :(

Thanks for the reply,i wont be able to apply this year due to personal reason, but next year i will for sure. Good luck, and dont worry if it is going to happen in your favor it will happen, leave it all on almighty. I wish you get in UMDNJ:thumbup:

Thank you al for your encouragement :) When you got your scores that you passed was the envelope thicker than when you passed part I? I am sso scared to get my scores in two weeks..oh well all I will have to do is wait.... :(

Thank you al for your encouragement :) When you got your scores that you passed was the envelope thicker than when you passed part I? I am sso scared to get my scores in two weeks..oh well all I will have to do is wait.... :(

whats up with envelope thickness?

I thought if you passed, you got a certificate sent to you from the ada which would make the letter thicker....

Hi friends,
would u please tell me how the grading for part 2 is. I mean on each day how many Q should we answer?

Here is the break-down for each subject , # of Q asked from each subject and we must get passing figure out of it.
Endodontics-----------------30Q
Operative Dentistry----------45Q
Oral surgery-----------------43Q
Oral diagnosis----------------44Q
Ortho-Pedo------------------58Q
Patient Management---------56Q
Perio------------------------45Q
Pharmacology----------------34Q
Prosthodontic----------------45Q

I don't know how they count the average out of these # , My educated guess would be try to bring at least 60% right answer to be in 80's Percentile.Every thing is on ADA.ORG just surf it, you might get more info...............

hello everyone, thank u everyone for sharing their experience, it really encouages me to go on.
i had my exam last thursday & friday, as usual day 2 was tough and confusing, wasnt sure about many answers.
my question to the people who had their results, what is the average raw score to pass the exam?? (how many correct answers to get 75 %)

thanks for helping me and good luck everyone! :)

Here is the break-down for each subject , # of Q asked from each subject and we must get passing figure out of it.
Endodontics-----------------30Q
Operative Dentistry----------45Q
Oral surgery-----------------43Q
Oral diagnosis----------------44Q
Ortho-Pedo------------------58Q
Patient Management---------56Q
Perio------------------------45Q
Pharmacology----------------34Q
Prosthodontic----------------45Q

I don't know how they count the average out of these # , My educated guess would be try to bring at least 60% right answer to be in 80's Percentile.Every thing is on ADA.ORG just surf it, you might get more info...............

So no Dental Material section ?

(how many correct answers to get 75 %)

I also too mine last week and I did horrible on both days Wouldnt be surprised at all if I failed. As far as the correct number to pass the rumor flying out there is around 50% of questions if you get right.

I have to agree wih open contact. as, I wrote earlier, I too took the exam last week and I thought both parts were equally as hard. I doubt I passed myself and I just feel so bad about myseld and depressed. this was my second time taking it and i thought this time was even harder than ast time :( In terms of what you need to pass, I think you need more than 50 % right b/c the first time I took it, I got about 50% right and I only got a 72 :(

Hi Guys,
Don't lose hope, just stick to it till the goal is achieved. Take time to analyse yourself and exam as well, reorganize it well and with hard work just hang on till it is finish.Don't lose focus this is important.:thumbup:

Thanks mitpat for your encouragement.... i think though if I fail, i will be leaving dental school. Had I know this would happen, i would have left schoo my first year. It has been a very long 4 years and I just can't do it anymore. I have no social life and it seems that nothing ever works out with dental school either. I'm just so tired of this already...

Thanks mitpat for your encouragement.... i think though if I fail, i will be leaving dental school. Had I know this would happen, i would have left schoo my first year. It has been a very long 4 years and I just can't do it anymore. I have no social life and it seems that nothing ever works out with dental school either. I'm just so tired of this already...
o ...come on . at least wait for your result before being so so pessimistic. a lot of people here are trying to score well since years. you are not alone.....cheer up:laugh:

Hi, Don't give up at this juncture, It will be wast of time and money and after all don't you think its a Q of your self esteem, man/women try to hang out for some more time and work hard don't give up...........Please you can do it.:thumbup:

Don't give up. I understand how you feel. Hang in there. You may be happily surprised when you get your score report back. Don't ever think of leaving dental school. You are almost there. You can always retake it if you failed. You are so close to getting your dental degree and this is just one of the last hoops that you have to jump through. There is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Frankly speaking it really scary situation my friend, I just wanna say keep the faith and try your best since guys who r into that situation needs all besides hard work. If you can pass all your exam so far this is the final one put your everything and i am sure you will pass.:thumbup:

Don't give up. I understand how you feel. Hang in there. You may be happily surprised when you get your score report back. Don't ever think of leaving dental school. You are almost there. You can always retake it if you failed. You are so close to getting your dental degree and this is just one of the last hoops that you have to jump through. There is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Common please pitch in , are anybody giving part-2 in Jan, lets start countdown

seriously part 2 is not practical, it's a waste of time. all my friends told me that everything they studied was a waste of time (dental decks, kaplan, mosby) only 20% of the material was relevant. The test is out there to get you, they want you to fail or feel they should challenge you with random materials like jeopardy, if 20% is relevant then you have 80% to guess, and if you guess lucky or blindly you may get 30% of the 80%, which will give you an overall 50% and you will pass. some people are good educational guessers or good test takers. I know people who can straight up guess and get over 50% without even looking at anything. it's the last big test you'll take before you get your degree, they can't make it straight forward then we are going to feel like dental school was a joke. We are paying for our degree and it's pretty expensive. I know there are places in difference countries where you can easily buy a PHD and be official. You can do almost anything if you have money. But seriously what's the point of all the science material like biochemistry, neuroscience etc... if you are going to be a dentist. there is no need(I can see how it would be important to researchers). So part 2 is supposed to be more clinically related, but the questions you get is everything outside what's important or basic. If you have a very successful dentist with many years of experience to take the part 2's they will fail miserably. People who are writing the questions don't have a whole lot of experience and their goal is not to test of things we know, but the things we don't know. The test structure is made so that you will fall into traps. I rather spend 2 days on clinic learning about dentistry than spend 2 minutes getting tested on things that are not relevant. We learn more when we get out of dental school. one month out in private practice is equivalent to 4 years of dental school. i know people who quit and they are very happy and live wonderful lives, happily married with kids and very social. only do dentistry if it is your passion, a lot of people get into it for the wrong reason.

Nice work and awasome calculation, Now we know only thing we can do is read,read,read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and try to retain as much as we can into our cranium and try to cross the magic 50% mark by hook or by crook....ha,ha...!!!!!
:thumbup:

Hey guys. I am tired of taking the exam. I have taken the exam twice with scores of 74 on both. I keep getting very low scores on the case based which is what is bringing my scores down . so does any body have any idea were I can get help for the case based section pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I had used dental deck,mosby,dental secrets,release exam papers and used barns n noble, borders book stores a lot for books and literally vent through whatever i can put my hands on as far as clinical q 's r concern. you have to have basics very clear i mean in the middle of night if someone wakes u up n ask you a q then you should be able to answer it, thats my phylosophy, i would suggest you to repeat whatever you had read and clear your concepts an u would be fine. I know this exam is a real joke seems like they r trying to commercialized it more rather then keeping it as a real exam for a dentist. I don't really know what kind of folks frame Q i guess they r qualified in putting up best Q's for this exam but they lag one thing in my opinion is they don't gauge the question as to how much important this q would be for a dentist in real life situation.
You must have seen folks who gave this exams couple of time, their primary concern would be regarding half of exams Q's are of no relavance in regards to real life situation, they dont carry any weight at all , once you are out of Prometric exam centre, You come home and think those Q's and ask just one silly Q to yourself as to what the hack was that.Did i gave one of the most prestigeious exam in dentistry!!!!!!!!!.....Bla,Bla,,,,,,,,,,,,,, And you will be completly in disarae till you get your result. Just imagine even if you pass the exam how confident you will be after this ordeal....................if you were not sure as to how your exam went and if you r not sure of your results and i think it not fun coming into market as a dentist. I dont know who want to win over whom.I think national board should stop thinking about getting huge profit from exam fees, and rather focus on real basics, like if a person who is a student form foreign country or over here in dental school he/she must have gain necessary knowledge to serve the society and trust the dental schools who provides them within their 4 year of school. At this point i think their should be fair exam without any twist or trick form ADA , if a person have a knowledge of his subject he will come out with flying color and if not an examinie should acquire needed basics stuff to pass the exam, I think the board should not make this exam hard just for financial gain and to help dental school gain some financial edge as i had heard here on SDN that student who dont pass their exam in certain time frame they will have to repeat whole year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats totally evil coz school will get one year of fees from student and ada will get more fees for the exams .............who ever does that should stop playing with students within our country and foreign students as well. I think we should show our concern to our recent PRESIDENTIAL hopefull or put it on YOUTUBE Q's for presidential debate for both Rebublican and Democrat candidates........................Oh GOD PLEASE HELP US...........!!!!!!.:luck:

Thanks mitpat. This whole exam is all a game and a money making thing. They have people on hold taking it every three months. which is not fair. As for my school we donot have to pass it before we graduate but we have to pass part 1. It really sucks because there are a bunch of us out there now who have graduated ,who cannot pass the exam and we cannot get our license or do anything except dental assistant. which sukssssssssss. I have to feed, pay my rent, my loans . I which I could find something that can bring more money like dentistry. I Guess I have to keep studying any case based question Icome across. My problem was that some questions would be whether I need to place an amalgam, crown, pfm or composite which I think through me off. Again I thought I had passed the exam after I took it but got 74 again. i am frustrateddddddddddddddddddd.

I just finished the exam. It was pretty rough. I'm curious if the questions are randomly selected from a large database. If so, then I got the extreme **** end of the stick. I studied pretty hard for it. Decks were OK. The 1998-2005 practice exam I bought from ASDA didn't help, however the Tufts Pharmacology review was helpful. Mosby's was helpful, especially for the behavior management, epidemiology type stuff.

In general, I thought the test was pretty tough. Especially for day 2, it was confusing trying to figure out if they were asking a general question or one specifically about the case. As for the results, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Good luck!

I TOOK THE EXAM IN DEC AND GOT AN 81.
ican say the exam is tough and vague... many pt. management qs... which seems like all the options r feasible . and the day 2 was hell as said by all others i was all theway scratching my head to see the xrays and fotos despite my futile attampt 2 score well in day2...day 1 is tough too but u can still answer except fr the pt management n ethics. i think we need 2 go thru ethics and law codes....which is praCTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE...SO i think if we atleast prepare fr subjs on day 1 well we can pass.i think we shud go back 2 textbooks fr atleast some of the topics if not the whole textbooks. its a 2-3 yr course back there we r takling in 2 day exam.. so we ve 2 work hard. i hope i helped some by this post. good luck 2 all.

Thanks for your comments and your experience sharing with us, please be posted when you get your results thanks a lot. An good luck to all guys who are about to give exam.:luck:

I'm getting a lot of messages concerning which exams I used...threre are only three released exams from the ADA:

1) 1991

2) 1993

3) 1998-2005 (300 Qs total) - released in 2006

I used the "1993" and the "1998-2005" releases. I found the 1993 release to be more beneficial. Your best source for the exams is the following website:

http://68.20.243.219/asda/members_o...rder.asp?action=catalog&catalog=NBR2&aff=ASDA if that doesn't work then go to Asdanet.org.

I took the exam in early December of 2007. I thought it was very difficult. I ended up with a composite score of 90. I went through the decks once and looked at the released exam questions (1991, 1993, 2006 compilation).

I took the exam in early December of 2007. I thought it was very difficult. I ended up with a composite score of 90. I went through the decks once and looked at the released exam questions (1991, 1993, 2006 compilation).[/QUOT

what does composite score of 90 means?

sorry if i m too naive to understand