Naplex hard!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PillCounter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just came back from taking the naplex and it was hard!!! I'm kinda embarrassed b/c everyone acts like the exam is no big deal but I think ill be luck if I pass. There were so many random questions on dosage forms, brand names, and topics i never even saw in any of the materials i studied (even the APhA book). I thought i knew the Apha material from cover to cover but i didnt see anything covered from source. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

To tyty,
how was the calcuations and did you got any statistics questions. any cystic fibrosis or sickle cell anemia, endocarditis or things like that..Thanks for your help

I had quite a lot of math: mEq, infusion rate, ratio, dilution, isotonicity, Rx preparation, kinetics, t1/2, Vd.

For statistics, I had one on p-value whether it is significant based on p= 0.004, basically you have to understand what is p-value vs. 96%. I also had a question on how would you determine if the clinical trial is relevant or not based on the scenario is given, very difficult to interpret :confused:

I didn't have any CF, sickle cell anemia nor endocarditis.

Members don't see this ad :)
U r fine..trust me u will pass..the exam is hard and i had a very hard version.I said the exact same thing..I guessed on 75% of the exam! so u r doing better than me..and i passed with 123..u will do great :) let me know when u pass!!!:)

Thanks sosokk! But I just can't stop thinking about it, and the thought that I have to wait for 3 months to take it again if I failed is unbearable. I am praying everyday hoping that I will pass...I am crossing my fingers.:)

I am so depressed! I took the Naplex today, and it was soooooo hard. I felt like I guess ~50% of the exam :(, there were so many random questions that I don't even where they got these questions from... something like "when would be the best time to fit stocking :confused:", almost the whole exam was patient based, a lots on increasing/decreasing the dose on current medication, dosage forms and counseling points on medications . I din't have any questions on HIV nor cancer. I think I am failing the exam :(. I would be a miracle if I pass the exam.

Don't worry tyty, we're are at the same boat,at least that's comforting to know that like you I felt so terribly depressed:scared: and the waiting game for the result even makes it too difficult for me to concentrate in my job. I took the NAPLEX 1 week ago and even in my wildest dream, I can't imagine the sets of questions I got . It's more of calculations( mEqs,flow rates, graphs,titurations, you name it..), patients' profiles, compounding. i guessed 70percent of my answers and I'm just hoping for the best.

Thanks tyty, any iv to po questions?

I had one question on Theophylline conversion from Aminophyllin IV which is 80% Theophyllin and Theophyllin is long acting Q12. Make sure you know how to do math really well. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Don't worry tyty, we're are at the same boat,at least that's comforting to know that like you I felt so terribly depressed:scared: and the waiting game for the result even makes it too difficult for me to concentrate in my job. I took the NAPLEX 1 week ago and even in my wildest dream, I can't imagine the sets of questions I got . It's more of calculations( mEqs,flow rates, graphs,titurations, you name it..), patients' profiles, compounding. i guessed 70percent of my answers and I'm just hoping for the best.

Thanks for comforting, mystiquecoco! I need to pass the naplex in order for state board to grant me an extended intern license so I can work and get additional 300 hours to complete 1500 hours for licensing. School only gave me 1000 hours from rotations, and I have to earn 500 hours which I didn't have yet. I guess we both felt the same way :oops:, I just can't concentrate on doing anything anymore. I just want to cry everytime I think about the exam. How do you deal with 1 week waiting time? Today is my 2nd day and I already felt so uneasy...oh well, nothing much I can do now. I wish you good luck and hopefully we both will pass the exam.

"Thanks for comforting, mystiquecoco! I need to pass the naplex in order for state board to grant me an extended intern license so I can work and get additional 300 hours to complete 1500 hours for licensing. School only gave me 1000 hours from rotations, and I have to earn 500 hours which I didn't have yet. I guess we both felt the same way :oops:, I just can't concentrate on doing anything anymore. I just want to cry everytime I think about the exam. How do you deal with 1 week waiting time? Today is my 2nd day and I already felt so uneasy...oh well, nothing much I can do now. I wish you good luck and hopefully we both will pass the exam."

No, now come on, you both did fine! Everybody says the same thing about this exam, it just sucks. Only one person ever on SDN has not passed as far as I know, 95% of all people who take this exam pass, and 100% of the people who take this exam feel like s*** afterwards. I'm taking it (finally-my BOP is really slooooow) on Oct. 2nd, I will be sure and report back for posterity. I expect to feel like a horrible, incompetent person, but ultimately pass. Check out the NAPLEX pass rate for your school (http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/bulletins/NaplexSPR.pdf), remember you weren't in the bottom 5% of your class, and this too shall pass. So, start studying for your law now...

Hi tyty..
did you get any HIV or cancer questions?? also questions about montering the drug actions?? what material did you use and how long did you study for??

Don't worry you will pass.. The harder the exam the better the result..it is computer adaptive that mean when you answer right the computer gives you harder quetion and so on ..so when you find a quetion about what kind of IV solution used to prepare certain kind of medication you know you are passing..but when you got a question about the MOA of Motrin that is not a good sign...:)..you will be fine..
thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Hi tyty..
did you get any HIV or cancer questions?? also questions about montering the drug actions?? what material did you use and how long did you study for??

Don't worry you will pass.. The harder the exam the better the result..it is computer adaptive that mean when you answer right the computer gives you harder quetion and so on ..so when you find a quetion about what kind of IV solution used to prepare certain kind of medication you know you are passing..but when you got a question about the MOA of Motrin that is not a good sign...:)..you will be fine..
thanks

Kemo202-

I didn't have any questions on HIV...I prepare so well for this subject. Now, I remember I had one question on chemo: patient is taking cisplatin and they asked what other medication to give with which I had no clue, forgot the choices. I only knew amifostine is usually given with cisplatin to protect nephrotoxicity and neurotoxicity. I also had a lot of drug monitoring and patient couseling but they are so random which make it so hard for me to guess.

1. Definitely need to know heart drugs really well, I had so much on this subject
2. Had a few questions on HTN (know which one are ISA)
3. Anticoagulation drugs, don't forget to pay attention to patient's drug allergies and what are the alternatives, especially with herbals
4. Need to know what drugs need to be refrigerated (ex. augmentin) and what medication can be stored at room temerature the max
5. Few questions on epilepsy, what DOC for petite mal, status epilepsy, etc.
6. Pay attention to patinet's the lab values because you have to determine what medications need to d/c, switch, decreased/increase.

Talking about MOA, I didn't have a single question asking on MOA :eek:. I don't know if this means good or bad.

I studied from ProntoPass and Kaplan Lecture notes for exactly 1 month and 16 days, my study times varied each day since I have a young daughter to care for, maybe 4 hour per day. I din't call ProntoPass to be quized nor did I get the Q-bank from them. Now I regret that I didn't do the test Q-bank...I should have done it.

Hi Tyty,
Thanks for your reply...bty did you get any immunizatoin question and TPN and antidotes ..and things like in the pharmacutics like what binders and filling of capsule and kind of preservative to use??? thank you so much

Hi guys who just took the NAPLEX..
help us here ...tell us how the test look like..thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tyty,
Thanks for your reply...bty did you get any immunizatoin question and TPN and antidotes ..and things like in the pharmacutics like what binders and filling of capsule and kind of preservative to use??? thank you so much

kemo202,

I think I had 2 questions regarding immunization:
1. Are there any vaccines for hep C
2. Which from the following used to treat hep C, brand name

A couple on TPN calculations based on patient profile, how much kcal of lipid, protein and fat emulsion patient is getting based on their weight...know the kcal for each in order to calculate

No, I didn't have any on antidotes which I am very much suprise.
No pharmaceutics in term of filling capsules and preservative.

Overall, the exam is ~90% patient profile fomat, even the calculations are based on patient profile. It's kinda hard to say what to concentrate on the most since I don't have a lot on disease state but very much randoms. Hope this help!

Hi Tyty,

kemo202,

I think I had 2 questions regarding immunization:
1. Are there any vaccines for hep C
2. Which from the following used to treat hep C, brand name

A couple on TPN calculations based on patient profile, how much kcal of lipid, protein and fat emulsion patient is getting based on their weight...know the kcal for each in order to calculate

No, I didn't have any on antidotes which I am very much suprise.
No pharmaceutics in term of filling capsules and preservative.

Overall, the exam is ~90% patient profile fomat, even the calculations are based on patient profile. It's kinda hard to say what to concentrate on the most since I don't have a lot on disease state but very much randoms. Hope this help and good luck!

took it today, i felt that it was very difficult not to mention extremely random. had a few hepatitis questions, BP, DM, HIV, kinetics (know therapeutic levels for antiepileptics), 1 stat question, 1 question about a reference, 2 questions about antidotes. there were about 10 calculations, 2-3 i found difficult (which concerns me bc i know this is heavily weighted). i saw at least 5-6 brand names that i did not recognize and were not part of the top 200. most of it is patient case based. focus heavily on DRUG THERAPY (2-3 questions on herbals--know that ginko causes bleeding, kava kava is hepatotoxic, st johns and interactions) and PATIENT COUNSELING. know what medications need to be refrigerated and know the key monitoring points for major drugs (amiodarone), and major drug interactions. dont waste time on MOA or pathophysiology, i think i had only one or two questions on this. there will be a number of questions where you just have no clue/dont ever remember hearing about it. in my case i used the APhA book (probably too much information, pick out the important points). i know most people on here are saying that everyone will be fine, i certainly hope thats true in my case because i did not find it that easy. let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
To rsmike84 ,
Thank you so much for the help.. I know i will sound like everyone but ..you will be fine..thanks again:)

The Pharmacist's Letter (Sept 23rd) had a great table of drugs that need to be refrigerated this month (17 pages).

Last edited:
Hey rxmile84, did you get any questions from chapter 3 4 or 5 in the test?? i am dong the apha too i don't have time for this chapters what do you thing??

Hey rxmile84, did you get any questions from chapter 3 4 or 5 in the test?? i am dong the apha too i don't have time for this chapters what do you thing??
hey, i just read through those chapters once very quickly the day before the exam. i wouldnt waste time on them, dont even think i had any questions, at most 1. i wouldnt waste time on the kinetics chapter or biotech chapter either, dont think i had any questions on them. just know the key points for certain drugs as far as kinetics goes. aside from the math, i basically started at the HTN section, everything in between just got a quick read.

Last edited:
Hey I am taking the exam on Wednesday oct.1st- i was wondering whether it is necessary to look over compounding.. esp.. in the appleton and lang CD. any help would be really appreciative...

Hey I am taking the exam on Wednesday oct.1st- i was wondering whether it is necessary to look over compounding.. esp.. in the appleton and lang CD. any help would be really appreciative...
i would not waste too much time on compounding, you will prob only have 1-2 questions at most.

I'm taking the NAPLEX tomorrow 8 am and am mostly just working through math problems today from ApHA and Shargal and reviewing basic stats-anything more would freak me out too much.
I'll check in tomorrow after the test and add any novel topics I encountered, then it's one week til the PA MPJE....

Last edited:
i just took the exam this morning and i must say it was extremely hard... i had so much calculations, stat and compounding... i had a good 15 statistics...what goin on??? i had no idea on any of em.... they started asking me about all these different test... also i had tons of math it seems like they were getting harder as i went out.. I honestly am so nervous but im believing God for his miracles.... That exam was so so hard... and i went in there very very confident and i knew most of my stuff???? I just cant imagine the worse but i honestly think the exam is very unfair why some people get easy questions and i get 15 statistics... how does stat test my knowledge of being a competent RPH

i just took the exam this morning and i must say it was extremely hard... i had so much calculations, stat and compounding... i had a good 15 statistics...what goin on??? i had no idea on any of em.... they started asking me about all these different test... also i had tons of math it seems like they were getting harder as i went out.. I honestly am so nervous but im believing God for his miracles.... That exam was so so hard... and i went in there very very confident and i knew most of my stuff???? I just cant imagine the worse but i honestly think the exam is very unfair why some people get easy questions and i get 15 statistics... how does stat test my knowledge of being a competent RPH

So many stats? Maybe it was part of the 35 experimental questions that don't count towards your score (re: only 150 of those 185 questions are weighted, the rest are just to mess with us).

This is alot of statistics.. I am not sure..a friend of mine got 6 questions this was the max i heard of..good luck for you

Hey what kind of questions are they..Is like P value, median, well I don't even know where to study from..any advise..did you get something about chi square or null theory.. I am not sure it is so confusing...

Took the NAPLEX this morning. Ugh. Everybody seems to have a different take on the exam, so here's mine: I got no kinetics at all (very sad), no theophylline/aminophylline either (very very sad), but did get some difficult ratios, infusions, TPNs and alligations. One stinky little CrCl calculation where they weren't even a female or obese or anything. I was one of the unlucky few who seem to get not one but two AIDS cases and several HIV stand-alone questions (cause I didn't study it, I just kept getting hit with it), no hepatitis (dissapointed yet again, I like hepatitis), but I was very happy to see lots of ID-just the major ones-CAP, endocarditis, MOAs for abx; dosage forms of psych drugs and a great case on alcohol withdrawal (thank you Indian Health Services rotation!). A few chemical random structures, and more things I obviously got wrong so I just kept getting hit with, my big weaknesses were opthalmics and Crohn's Disease. I got three stats questions, knew the first two, guessed on the third, then I guess the computer-adaptive program went on to another therapeutic algorithm of torture, so I didn't get any stats after that. The stats I got was not "given this value-what does this mean?", they were more like, given this experimental design, is this test appropriate? I'd worry less about stats (unless you are in a journal club) and focus on drug interactions, dosage forms, monitoring and storage. Random questions on refrigeration, storage, interactions, drug dilution, vaccination and antidotes for drugs I've never heard of, so I certainly haven't heard of the antidote!
There was more than enough time to triple-check all calculations. I'm glad I spent yesterday going through the math to be sure I could nail it. I guess I passed-I'm going to study for the MPJE now. PM me if you have any questions while it's still fresh, and good luck.

took naplex yesterday. whew. not sure where i stand after that exam...same level of anxiety as others who have posted. Htn, DM, brand/generic of cardiac meds, Parkinsons, very little math...basic stuff and they didnt give MW, about 4-5 statistics/study design questions.

Did anyone take the NAPLEX on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday this week?
If so, how was it ?

Hello Guys who just took the exam.. Help us out here Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease..Thank you

Hello Guys who just took the exam.. Help us out here Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease..Thank you

You silly! Just read the threads. Course, I still don't know whether I passed or not (took it last Thursday).
The best advice I got was to relax (as much as you can when your future hinges on 150 questions), don't panic if you miss a question, and look at the entire chart for a patient profile (including the patient notes).

I concur, I liked APHA best. Some people preferred Shargal, but it was harder for me to follow. I also liked taking the pre-NAPLEX, but I think I am in the minority there. In my free time, I read Tarascon's also, it's tiny, fits in your pocket, and covers dosage forms, brand/generic names-nice on planes.

Got my NAPLEX score today. Did fine (not great though, 117, definitely not cut out for clinical work-I'm doomed to suffer in retail/LTC consulting/prison the rest of my life while the cool kids write orders in a hospital), anyway, I owe it all to SDN; I love SDN :love:.
Wanna pass the NAPLEX? Read yer SDN NALPEX threads and do what they say to do.

Got my NAPLEX score today. Did fine (not great though, 117, definitely not cut out for clinical work-I'm doomed to suffer in retail/LTC consulting/prison the rest of my life while the cool kids write orders in a hospital), anyway, I owe it all to SDN; I love SDN :love:.
Wanna pass the NAPLEX? Read yer SDN NALPEX threads and do what they say to do.

Congrats on a 117! That's a great score! I'm hoping for a 76!!

I am so happy that I passed the NAPLEX!! I was so sure that I failed that exam. I am know waiting for my Texas MPJE results, hopefully I passed that one cause it seemed easier than the NAPLEX exam.

Everyone has told me don't worry about the Naplex just study for the MPJE so I took the MPJE two weeks ago and didn't feel too bad about it. I got a few wrong that I know about but at least I felt like I was familiar with the material. Took the Naplex today...wow...failed for sure. I had no clue on anything. I second guessed myself and changed answers. I've actually been remembering those that I was 50% sure on and it turns out I was wrong. It's too bad that they make you wait 91 days to take it again, because I don't think I'll be able to stand the stress for too much longer. I'll let you all know, but with two weeks having gone by since the MPJE, I still have no results for the MPJE and I wouldn't be surprised if I failed them both. It's nice to hear other people's miracle stories, but unfortunately mine will end in disappointment. I'll post again either way to let you know, but I sincerely think I'll be the first to bring bad news. Wish me luck. Going crazy thinking about it.

It was all I could think about til I got my results-good luck, drop a note if you need help.

Apparently I passed the MPJE because it's no longer on the requirements for my license. So at least I didn't fail both.

would like to take a chance to thank SDN and members for the guidance and support provided. I am a foreign pharmacy graduate, passed NAPLEX with 121, although still need to complete the internship. Thanks for everything.