Naplex hard!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PillCounter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just came back from taking the naplex and it was hard!!! I'm kinda embarrassed b/c everyone acts like the exam is no big deal but I think ill be luck if I pass. There were so many random questions on dosage forms, brand names, and topics i never even saw in any of the materials i studied (even the APhA book). I thought i knew the Apha material from cover to cover but i didnt see anything covered from source. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the exam on 7/29th. I thought it was very hard :(
i had so many calculations that i was running out of time towards the end. i Just hope I pass. I studied from Apha book also.. .There was this other girl taking a exam for naplex at the same time as me and her exam seemed very easy compared to mine .. May be we got the harder form of the exam. I really really HOPE we PASS. cant think of just sitting around for 3 months :(

Good luck with your results, I can't stop thinking about the stupid test (naplex) i just took and am having a hard time studying for the mpje! ill cross my finger for the both of us!

i'm still waiting for my results too. yeah, there were some questions that no amount of studying could have prepared you for. hopefully, soon we will find out that we passed this test and never have to deal with it again. but i keep thinking of these crazy scenarios where i could have accidentally clicked on the wrong answer or switched from a right to a wrong answer at the last minute.. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who think the exam is hard. You are correct; However, I don't know how the formulas of grading the test are, but you should be OK. I tooked the test on 7/22/08 and went home feeling terrible about it. I ask myself when can I retake the exam, but last Friday I receive the result and I got a 115. I was so pumped. For those of you who are worried, you should be OK.

took it last wednesday (30th)

SO FREAKIN RANDOM

either you knew it or you did not.....no matter how long you stared at the question, there was NO WAY it would come to you

from question 1 all the way to 185

anyone know if california can check their results online?

ugh!!!!!

RANDOM is the best way to describe my exam also. It wasn't that I had difficult disease states I had the basics (DM, HTN etc) but the most random questions about drug side effects, dosage forms, brand names. Throughout the entire exam I was thinking do people really know the answers to this stuff? I too am preparing for a retake, just in case I'm that one person that ends up failing. COngrats to those who passed!

This is kind of the first I've heard people say that the NAPLEX was hard! Now I don't feel so bad..it was miserable and I am just praying I got enough right to pass. It's so hard to study for the MPJE thinking that I failed the NAPLEX..ugh..this whole summer has been nothing by stressful..Good luck to you all ;)

:)I just found out that i Passed Naplex with score of 124 .

Anyone who took the exam and has doubt about themselves look at me.. i was in the same boat , nervous, anxious and definitely thought i had failed but Today it all changed .. i am so happy. thanks to all of you who have helped me thru this process.

Good Luck with your results

MPJE is next for me

I took the TX MPJE today and is wasn't that bad. I just waiting for my score now. I'm hoping that I pass so I can get my license. Good luck to those of you who are taking the NAPLEX or MPJE soon.

just found out today i passed the NAPLEX too

one down......CPJE to go!!!!!!!!!!

yay us :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
just found out today i passed the NAPLEX too

one down......CPJE to go!!!!!!!!!!

yay us :thumbup:

how did you find out about your results? I just took mine yesterday and like everyone says it was so random and no amount of studying could have prepared me for some of the things that were asked.

I think people who have a difficult exam end up doing really well due to the computer-adaptive format. I had crazy TPN calculations, cancer and HIV, tuberculosis, and the most obscure compounding questions (which preservative needs a basic environment to work? WTF?). I thought I failed, but I got my score today and I did really well.

california board will mail it to you in about a week or two

other states i have no clue how they release their scores

I just want to say that I found out my results this weekend and with DIVINE INTERVENTION I actually passed w/a 119. I know I am going to sound like everyone else, but I really have no clue how they grade that exam (there must be a wicked huge curve). I also don't know how to better advise someone to prepare the exam other than know the math and wing the rest. Good luck to everyone that is preparing for the exam...

Reactions: 1 user
PillCounter,
Congratulations! As long as you passed, that's all it matter. What do you mean passing with a "DIVINE INTERVENTION"? I thought 119/160 is 74, passing is at least 75...weird huh?

PillCounter,
Congratulations! As long as you passed, that's all it matter. What do you mean passing with a "DIVINE INTERVENTION"? I thought 119/160 is 74, passing is at least 75...weird huh?

I'm confused. I thought NAPLEX scoring was a scaled scoring system, not a percentile scoring system, and a "75" or higher in this scaled scoring system from NABP is passing. Since 119 is higher than 75, you pass. I hope so cause I got a 119 in the Pre-NAPLEX and felt good for the past few days....

whatever "number" you receive is your final score

do not divide by 150 or find out a new percentage

your score is "your score"

so a 119>>>>>>>>>>75

so to the person who received a great score on the pre-NAPLEX is golden

Divine Intervention meaning I thought I failed and I didn't. I truly believe that score is a miracle, especially considering how I felt after walking out of that exam.

I just took the naplex last tuesday and found out today i passed with a 131. Don't know how i got that score because i didn't feel good after taking it.

I'm a licensed RPh in TX!!! Good luck to everyone stressing and preparing for your upcoming exams...

Congrats, guyz! The Naplex is a computer adaptive test and not all the questions are "weighing" the same :oops:) In fact, some question is harder than the other and those question worth more points. As you keep answering the right answers the computer will likely pick a harder question for you on the next question. So a passing of 75 is not your percentage ... but getting over 100 really means you know your pharmacy stuff ... or at least your reasoning wasn't too bad :oops:) You studied hard, now you should be proud of yourself :thumbup::cool:

I took the NAPLEX this weekend...and came out of it just DEPRESSED. It was so freakin hard! I really do think that I failed. Some of the questions asked were just ridiculous! It will be a miracle if I pass. =(

I took the NAPLEX this weekend...and came out of it just DEPRESSED. It was so freakin hard! I really do think that I failed. Some of the questions asked were just ridiculous! It will be a miracle if I pass. =(

Please cheer up...from the other NAPLEX threads, sounds like you did fine! When I do finally get my ATT from the slowest BOP in the country and can take the NAPLEX and MPJE, if I leave either exam feeling good, I did something horribly wrong.

Kpharmgrl- dont worry as you can see from this thread I think most people come out feeling that way. The harder the exam is the better you probably did. I feel like I guessed about 75% of the exam, and I somehow managed to pass. I am sure you did too! Don't worry about it, it'll work out!

Thanks Megas and PillCounter...
But yeah, I just can't help but to feel like crap...and I'm having a hard time concentrating for CPJE which is comin up this saturday. =/ But I did feel like I guessed a LOT. Thanks for the moral support.

I did not think the Naplex was too hard. I had to guess some of the questions. I had one question where I had to compare one chemical structure to another! I ended up doing well but I think they really curve it so most people do pass.

On the other hand, I thought the CJPE was tough! For most questions, I eliminated two of the choices but I had a hard time deciding between the last two. Hopefully, I will pass. *Sigh

Kpharmgrl,
Congrats! you'll pass :D Trust me ;) Most people who "do" feel terrible about the Naplex "do" pass the Naplex (suprisingly with High Score). Don't you know, I broke down and prayed in the middle of the Naplex b/c "the pain" was Unbearable. After the exam, I wished I could jumping off the bridge or disappear in the black hole .... and I passed the Naplex :D Cheer up! You'll be fine.

For some reason I think NAPLEX was so much harder than CPJE...I did Naplex last week and my CPJE today and i felt CPJE is so basic...My NAPLEX was horrible..lots of q as u guys mentioned above..it will really suck if pass CPJE and failed NAPLEX..:( waiting my resultsssss...Can't sleep no more!!!!

For some reason I think NAPLEX was so much harder than CPJE...I did Naplex last week and my CPJE today and i felt CPJE is so basic...My NAPLEX was horrible..lots of q as u guys mentioned above..it will really suck if pass CPJE and failed NAPLEX..:( waiting my resultsssss...Can't sleep no more!!!!

A friend of mine passed the CPJE but failed Naplex. It does happens :oops:) but if so, you get a much better chance at passing Naplex retake than CPJE retake. You should be glad to pass the cpje, if you have to choose between the 2 :oops:)... BUT like I've told kpharmgrl, I have a feeling you passed the Naplex ... may be both :) If so let me be the 1st to congratulate you :D ... try to get some sleep, you know you did your best it was just the darn people who wrote the stupid test... faults!

Last edited:
hi all! i'm taking the naplex soon and was just wondering if we need to know the opiod conversion charts ( i've been hearing different things from those that took the exam already) thanks so much.

hi all! i'm taking the naplex soon and was just wondering if we need to know the opiod conversion charts ( i've been hearing different things from those that took the exam already) thanks so much.

my version didnt have anything with the conversion. the questions were pretty random. just study what you can.

I ended up memorizing the opiod conversion before the test, but it was a waste of time. but then everything i studied for the naplex was a waste of time...

when I had my review for the Naplex..they told us not to memorize such a chart cause if they will give u such a q they would give u a chart and see if u can convert using the chart...I didn't get any q regarding converting..but if i would u I won't waste my time on memorizing it ...

I passed the NAPLEX with score of 123..so happy that I passed..this is totally a miracle ...Thank u God..it was so hard exam nd iam glad i don;t have to deal with this crap again...:)

I passed the NAPLEX with score of 123..so happy that I passed..this is totally a miracle ...Thank u God..it was so hard exam nd iam glad i don;t have to deal with this crap again...:)

See... I know you passed. Congrats! :hardy: Have you get you cpje results yet?

Nope. You don't need to remember the opoid conversion charts. The chart was given and they ask you to change the pt dose form morphine IV to the patch for discharge. Given the pt daily dosing you just need to dose accordingly. Remember to round up for the available patch.

Don't worry so much, I haven't heard anybody from this forum fail the Naplex yet... and if you think the Naplex was "horrible" after the exam, most likely you'll pass with high score :laugh:

I am so depressed! I took the Naplex today, and it was soooooo hard. I felt like I guess ~50% of the exam :(, there were so many random questions that I don't even where they got these questions from... something like "when would be the best time to fit stocking :confused:", almost the whole exam was patient based, a lots on increasing/decreasing the dose on current medication, dosage forms and counseling points on medications . I din't have any questions on HIV nor cancer. I think I am failing the exam :(. I would be a miracle if I pass the exam.

I am so depressed! I took the Naplex today, and it was soooooo hard. I felt like I guess ~50% of the exam :(, there were so many random questions that I don't even where they got these questions from... something like "when would be the best time to fit stocking :confused:", almost the whole exam was patient based, a lots on increasing/decreasing the dose on current medication, dosage forms and counseling points on medications . I din't have any questions on HIV nor cancer. I think I am failing the exam :(. I would be a miracle if I pass the exam.

U r fine..trust me u will pass..the exam is hard and i had a very hard version.I said the exact same thing..I guessed on 75% of the exam! so u r doing better than me..and i passed with 123..u will do great :) let me know when u pass!!!:)

To tyty,
how was the calcuations and did you got any statistics questions. any cystic fibrosis or sickle cell anemia, endocarditis or things like that..Thanks for your help

To tyty,
how was the calcuations and did you got any statistics questions. any cystic fibrosis or sickle cell anemia, endocarditis or things like that..Thanks for your help

Any transplant questions? Thanks.