Name five colleges in the UK....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeteMC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am someone who hasnt a CLUE about the UK medical education scene. I am from the EU and considering some colleges there next year, ie; 2007. So before I embark on my own research any ideas from people on this site?? And I wouldnt be adverse to Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales if that helps?

Thanks in advance for any answers! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Which EU country will you be graduating from, ie, which post-16 qualifications or baccalaureate will you have by the time you graduate from your sixth form studies? This will be relevent in determining the type of schools to which you may apply. For example in England and Wales, the EB or IB diplomas would be acceptable matriculation qualifications at most universities, whereas, eg the Matura/Abitur/Baccalauréat/etc wouldn't. Scottish and Irish universities tend to be receptive to a wider range of qualifications.

The same applies to degrees obtained outside the UK, even those from an EU institution - some universities will not recognize them as acceptable for matriculation.

Also note you may only apply to 4 medical schools in any one cycle.

Im currently taking the Leaving Cert. exams in Ireland. Im hoping to get into Med here, but the points to get in are ridiculously high!! and so Im trying to work some sort of plan for next year if my current app through CAO falls through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest you telephone, individually, the schools to which you would like to apply, since specific guidelines with regard to matriculation qualifications differ from school to school. For example, none of the London schools will accept the Irish Leaving Certificate, despite the Certificate fulfilling general entrance requirements. I would expect the picture to be similar across England and possibly Wales. In Scotland the situation is slightly different, where students may matriculate to medical school with only one year of sixth form studies. The Scottish schools also tend to be more willing to consider a wider range of qualifications on an individually competitive basis (though this may also be true of schools throughout the UK, which is why it's important to phone each school and speak to the admissions officer directly).

PeteMC said:
Im currently taking the Leaving Cert. exams in Ireland. Im hoping to get into Med here, but the points to get in are ridiculously high!!.

Although academic qualifications are important, remember that other achievements are equally important to the selection procedure - evidence of committment, motivation and relevent work experience, etc. Also, be aware that the typical offer to British students varies from ABBb-AAAa (General Certificate of Education, Advanced Level) in Chemistry and at least one other science (many students offer all 3, plus mathematics and a non-scientific subject at subsidiary level).

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! :)