N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JZp2

Reaction score
Deleted after making decision, thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
US Snooze shifts schools around each year. Michigan did not really get worse and drop to 15. If you would like to practice in Texas and value home, I think Baylor makes the most sense. But Michigan is the cheapest and also a great school (and you see yourself fitting in). Nice to save the $60-70k. Depends how uncomfortable you are with cold, which I imagine is quite a bit if you are familiar with Houston. If you’ll be miserable, it is ok to accept having 160k in med school debt and avoid snow.

No point attending Duke with the other 2 options.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor would make your life easier and is an excellent school. Prestige is negligible because all 3 of them are in the same tier

Even though Duke has no AOA and p/f clinicals? I don't know if curriculum benefits are substantial enough to give up a support system though
It’s marginal compared to the support system and cheaper cost. You still have P/F pre-clinical, which probably is the actual part that is more stressful as a 1st year med student.

Don’t worry about tiers. You are choosing from all prestigious schools here.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you determine the tiers?

Prestige to an extent is subjective, but I'd say in terms of prestige Duke has a slight edge over Michigan which has a slight edge over Baylor. Not substantial at all, and the only reason it'd matter is if you'd want to potentially have a career outside of medicine, say business, venture capital, public policy/government, etc. Probably not a huge factor in residency match. My comment was more a reaction that people are quick to say same tiers here. I'd say they're similar.

Baylor for low cost is the easy choice of course.
But there’s also something interesting in plunking yourself down in a place you’ve never lived before. If you like it you’ve learned about a new part of the US, and if not it’s only 4 years and you can aim your residency search back home.

Reactions: 1 users
They're all great schools, so you Michigan. You're 45 year old self will thank you for the less money that you're spending on tuition.

Just a layer up, and you'll get used to the cold

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Baylor for sure. It is hard to do the Copper Head Stomp with snow boots on wearing a thick sub-zero jacket. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user