N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JZp2

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats, you crushed it. Duke and UMich def have the edge in terms of prestige. While Baylor is great in medicine, it doesn’t come close to touching the other two schools in all around reputation.

That being said, the cost simply cannot be justified. Baylor is still a T20/25 and will still give you an edge over the average applicant for competitive residencies. Personally, I think 20k per year is the most I’d be willing to pay to uograde to Duke or Umich.

You really can’t go wrong here… congrats. I’ll add that if you are low income, Duke will likely hook it up. Those top private schools have the endowments to hook up some nice aid packages.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at your post history, you said you received full COA at UTSW. Why isn't that an option here? jw

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd lean toward Duke because of P/F clinicals, but honestly you're not making a bad move with any of these in your situation.

Baylor, closest to home and pretty cheap while still being a well-renowned school.

Duke tickets are probably hard to get, you can always go see what Kelvin Sampson is up to though. And the Rockets if they improve if you like the NBA.

I honestly have no comments on what you should choose. But, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS cause you really killed it this cycle!

• Love
I have a feeling we may have met during our Michigan interview day, and if that‘s the case, I’m biased because you were cool and I want you to attend school with me! However, it would be hard to turn down that much of a price difference at Baylor. I know Michigan releases scholarship info in mid-march, so maybe that will alter the dynamic some. (Plus you might be able to tell them the cost differences and see if they match the price)

I received an offer from UTSW with full COA, but I ranked Baylor over UTSW during the Texas match and ended up losing the UTSW offer for Baylor.
ಠ_ಠ

Tell Duke you are going to Baylor unless they can narrow the price gap. The worst they can do is say "no" and I have personally seen the answer be "yes" for both college and med school aid.

If they don't offer anything and will be $150,000+ more expensive for Duke, then no brainer go to Baylor.

Would not go to Ann Arbor if you like Texan weather

If nothing else changes from cost standpoint, then fairly easy choice as a Texan to stay with BCM. Can leave Texas for residency then.

I'd talk to the other institutions about matching the Baylor cost and see if they budge. Michigan has historically been pretty free-handed with aid. As far as Step 2 scores though, I wouldn't pay attention to those at all because it was more of a formality before hand so students weren't actually studying for them much and the numbers won't be interpretable for another cycle or two. As far as reputations go, Michigan and Duke are bigger names in medicine (both are truly historic programs in medicine and surgery), but not to the point where it would overcome the cost gap unless you really want to get out of Texas and try something new.

Good luck and congrats!