My NBDE Part I Study Log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started my Biochem/Physio section studies with the Dental Decks yesterday (Monday, June 30, 2003) from 4:30 PM to 1 AM in the morning with an one hour dinner break (7.5 hours of non-stop reading/studying). I was able to finish half of the Dental Decks for the Biochem/Physio section. Today, I aimed and achieved to finish the second half the the Dental Deck for the Biochem/Physio section. I started at 12:30 PM and finally finished at 11:30 PM (10 hours of non-stop reading/studying) with one hour dinner break (I had all you can eat sushi for $16, YUM!).

I've now read and highlighted thoroughly through the Dental decks for Biochem/Physio section once. My goal for tomorrow is to go over the entire section of the Biochem/Physio section of the dental decks for the second time. During all this reading of Dental decks, I'm also using/reading the USMLE First Aid book for quick references and mnemonics for Biochem/Physio. I did not use the Kaplan Review book at all for this section (I have not used the Kaplan Review book since Microbiology section).

I find it simply way too much stuff to read for so little time left until the big day! I'm sticking to what I'm hoping it will be the best prep materials to prepare me for this exam.

Plan of attack:

tomorrow all day: re-read the entire section to Biochem/Physio Dental decks

Thursday: do all 11 ASDA released exams for just Biochem/Physio in the morning (7AM - 2PM) and re-do all 11 ASDA released exams for just the Anatomical Sciences section again in the evening (4 PM - midnight). It's all repetition my friends...all repetition...training your brain to retain information!

Friday: I will start my 4th and last section, the Dental Anatomy section. I'll spend three days maximum on this section (Fri, Sat, and Sun).

In this way, I'll then have 6 full days to review, cram, memorize, and retake the 11 ASDA released exams for all four sections.

Recap for Biochem/Physio section studies:

Main tool: Dental decks = 5 stars
USMLE First Aid = 4 stars
Kaplan Review book = did not use
ASDA released exams = did not use YET, but I'm sure it will be great

For the dental decks usage so far:

Micro/Patho section = read them 4Xs
Anatomical Sciences = read them 2Xs
Biochem/Physio = read them 1X (thus far)
Dental Anatomy = not yet

For ASDA released exam usage so far:

Micro/Patho = took the 11 exams 1X
Anatomical Sciences = took the 9 exams 1X
Biochem/Physio = not yet
Dental Anatomy = not yet

[NOTE: when I read through these dental decks, I read them thoroughly with highlighting and looking up references whether it's the Netter's atlas or textbooks or USMLE First Aid book. I do not scan through these flashcards. I read every word. The second time through, it's much faster because all the important points/words are already highlighted by me when I read them the first time. Plus concepts do comes back to you much quicker because you have read them once already, like for Biochem/Physio for me tomorrow, there's no doubt in my mind that I can and will finish that section with one whole day of studying.]

My goal is to at least read the dental deck twice for every section if not 3Xs by July 14, 2003!

It is time for me to turn my brain off and go to bed!

12 more days BABY!!

:clap: or :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Doggie...I used the exams as a study tool...as I mentioned in my previous post. The actual exam had some questions that were similar, although I thought most were quite different. Like I had written earlier, I think the only indicator of exam performance is how you did in the actual classes in dental school. Simply memorizing old exam questions wont take you very far...although I certainly would know them inside out. The individuals who make the exam are not very novel...they have to recycle questions....not word for word though. They make subtle, but important changes. If you understand the questions, why the correct answers are correct and vice versa...it will be to your advantage. Good luck.

Hey DocDrtySanchez,

Do mind sharing your raw scores?
So we can guesstimate the curve. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here we are, a week before the "big dance"! I'm using this week to review and review and review. Here's the remainder schedule for the week:

Yesterday (Monday): I went over half of the Micro/Patho section of the Dental Decks (it's like my 5th time through)

Today (Tuesday): I completed the second half of the Micro/Patho section of the Dental Decks. Tonight, I'm starting the Anatomical Sciences section again for the 3rd time. 7 PM - midnight

Wednesday: Morning 8 AM - 2 PM finish Anatomical Sciences section of the Dental Decks. Evening 7 PM - midnight, I'll start and do half of the Biochem/Physio section of the Dental Decks for the 3rd time.

Thursday: Morning 8 AM - 2 PM finish Biochem/Physio section of the Dental Decks. Evening, 7 PM - midnight, I'll do all nine ASDA released exams only for the Anatomical Science and Biochem/Physio sections again for the 2nd time.

Friday: Morning 8 AM - Noon, I'll do all nine ASDA released exam again for the 3rd time for Anatomical Sciences and Biochem/Physio sections only. Evening, 5 PM - midnight, I'll go back to the dental decks for Anatomical Sciences and Biochem/Physio sections for the 4th time really quickly.

Saturday: Morning 8 AM - Noon, read my Micro/Patho notes that I created while reading the Dental Decks, they're pretty much all the important point of each and every Dental Deck flashcards. Evening, 5 PM - midnight, read the word document I made for the Micro/Patho section where I categorized all 11 ASDA released exam questions according to their topic (a great cramming tool).

Sunday: Morning 8 AM - Noon, do Dental Anatomy ASDA exams. Evening, 5 - 10 PM, look over Anatomical Sciences and Biochem/Physio materials.

Monday: Morning Anatomical Sciences and Biochem/Physio sections are first. I'll have 3.5 hours to complete both of these sections.

One hour lunch break is set, but I think I'll have longer than an hour because I know I'll finish the morning session early. So let's say I'll have two hours for lunch. I'll be in the library the entire two hours touching up on Micro/Patho and only very briefly refresh on Dental Anatomy.

Micro/Patho and Dental Anatomy (the last section on the exam) will be in the afternoon session of the exam.

By 5 PM sharp, I'll be at a bar with at least, AT LEAST 5 shots lined up in front of me! :clap:

--------------------------------------------------------------
notes:

1) you notice that I don't really spend or dedicate much time to Dental Anatomy section of the exam. This is because I find this section not very challenging. Occlusion questions in this section can be tricky, but I know I just have to take my time to read every word to every question.

2) You see that I dedicated a lot of time for Anatomical Sciences and Biochem/Physio sections during this last week of studying. This is simply to get a really strong foundation for these two topics because they are the first two sections of the exam. You really want to feel good about the exam right from the start. If you feel crappy right away, then you'll just get down on yourself. So having a strong start is very important for me.

3) You may think that how the hell is he going to read those Dental Deck flashcards like how he had stated above? Well, simply because all these flashcards are highlighted already and important points will jump out at me. You really start to go through these cards pretty quick, especially in your 3rd and 4th time through.

4) You may ask, well what about Micro/Patho? Traditionally, isn't this section the most challenging? Well yes according to a lot of the upper classmen that I've spoked with. For me, that is why I started my NBDE Part I studies with this section. Start with what's most challenging subject to get it over with. And I did the Dental Deck for this section 5 times. The key thing here is, I will hopefuly have a two-hour lunch break that I can cram and refresh my brain before the afternoon exam session. I'm very glad that I spent two weeks typing every ASDA released questions and categorized them by topic so I can review and cram effectively and rapidly during the lunch break. Also, the USMLE First Aid book will be a great tool to use during this break to cram more mnemonics.

5) When I do ASDA release exam, I only take them blind like an actual exam for the latest exams (1998, 1996, 1989) and for the rest I simply read the exam questions and answers right away. Taking every single one of them blind like an actual exam is a waste of time in my opinion. You definitely want to look aver them all, but don't take them all.

Alright, time to nap and back to the library to start up Anatomical Sciences for the 3rd time! I can't wait to get this thing over with!:rolleyes:

Hey Yah-E, good luck with the board. Let me guess your score for you. How about a 94% average?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good luck on the boards, Yah-E. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if you get scores like DocDrtySanchez's.

Here we are, the day before the big exam! I can't wait! I feel pretty good about where I am right now, but of course there are always things you can read on about.

Like today I just learned that ADENOSINE relaxes the vascular smooth muscle. How about that SUPERIOR GANGLION OF CN IX is where for pain fibers neuron body of the CN IX is located and not in the NUCLEUS OF SPINAL TRACT V (which is where neural body for general sensory of CN IX is located).

I learned a lot of the details and we'll see how much that will come to use.

For the rest of this afternoon and night, I will be doing more old exams from ASDA and reading the USMLE First Aid book. I also plan on studying until at least midnight. Rest is overrated!

Tink: thank you for your prediction, I will try to match it.

Any more predictions? High or Low, let's hear them?

I'm on fire right now, I can not be stopped!

:laugh:

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!

Actually rest is not overrated. Try to get a good night sleep and eat a small breakfast high in protein. I did not study the day before ( I went frisbee golfing). I have never been a person who studied right up to the last minute, but everyone is different.

good luck

GOOD LUCK YAH-E & EVERYONE TAKING THE BOARDS TOMORROW!!! You'll do awesome!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't worry, Be happy!

I predict 91 in each subject with 91 overall.

You guys are way too kind!:D

Those are some high expectations that I have to match. Just for fun, who ever predicts to the closest average score (average score of all 4 sections) without going over to my real score (when I get it in September 2003), I will give you a prize.

The prize will be the Microbiology/Pathology word document that I typed up that is categorized by subjects/topics from all the current ASDA released exams (11 of them). This took me almost two weeks to do so I put in a lot of time into this.

Obviously, if you're a current practicing dentist or you have already taken the NBDE Part I board, then this prize is no use to you. But for those that have not taken the Part I board, this prize maybe very useful to you.

If more than one person guessed my correct average score, then all winners will recieve a copy via email.

I must go back and study some more now! :eek:

[DISCLAIMER: this is all for fun and games, this is not a bet nor a challenge in any sort]

Members don't see this ad :)
I just have a feelin'......... 90

i'll bet you score a 94... =)

am i being too generous? i've just got faith in you!

actually, i was wondering, how long do you have to wait to get your board scores back?

I've got a bet on an even 90. :)

I'm on lunch break studying and CRAMMING for Micro/Patho! I've got a great feeling that I kicked ass in the first two sections. There are only 15 out of 100 questions in each of the two first sections that I wasn't sure about and I made educated guesses on them. Let's say if I get all 15 of those questions incorrect, that will still put my scores above mid-90s.

Bottom line, I feel pretty good about the first two sections.....must go cram! HALF WAY DONE!!!

:clap:

posting during the middle of your boards? man... you are a definate post *****... :p

Im guessin 88% overall

Hi everyone!!

Wish you success with the NDBE exam....

I'm a dentist in Israel, graduate of 1999. Sdudying dentistry is so different here.... you apply for a 6-year course in which you acquire a BSc and DMD (equal to DDS) degrees. First three years are general medicine (med and dental students study together) and three years of clinical dentistry. We have only the semester end exams and the final exams at sixth year.... so different.

I wish to take the NDBE of December but it seems like an ardous task for me. I'm so far from all that pre-clinical material and I have nothing, no Decks nor Kaplan.

I must find someone to sell his material... and do my best to succeed. After all, I believe studying in Israel is not inferior to studying in the US.

Your help and comments are welcome !

Nadav

Overall 95%. I want that MICRO/PATH document baby!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

My guess is.. 89

I NEED that document YAH-E!!!! hehe I predict an overall 93%!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I thought board scores get bell curved? How can you guess your score without factoring in how everybody else did?

Yah-e
Just a thought......why don't you share ur micro-path docs with ALL of us??!!
You'll get blessings which'll last a lifetime!! :D :D :D :clap: :clap:

Please share your words of wisdom,i.e. your micro/path document, with everyone! We would be forever thankful!!!!

PLEASE!

More like 92.5%...

Good luck Yah-E , and dont forget that we were there for you :D .

share with us man, where are going to be in your shoes in less than six month..

I can't wait and see you AD in Ebay for you materials...

Yah-E
you are a dominating force! I predict 95

Alright, peeps..here's the scoop....I'm a little under the influence right now simply because I'm done with my NBDE Part I and we celebrated since 6:30 Pm tonight. You don't know how good that feels! Afterall, whether I score above a 90 or not, I'm done with Part I!!! :clap:

You don't know how many D3s at my school are saying that we did the best thing to take it a year earlier. Next year will be so much more easier for us. Initially, around 60/100 of my classmates signed up, but I think only about 35 of us took it today! Please let me share with you what I've experienced!

First, if you think the DAT is horrible or draining! You have NO IDEA and NBDE Part I is WAY much more intense!!

We, Nova, had over 300+ people taking the Part I board today (or yesterday however you want to put it), 100 D3s, 35 of us D2s and a lot of foreign dentists trying to get into Advance Standing spots took the board Part I!

Anatomical Sciences and Biochem/Physio wasn't bad in my opinion at all, I know for fact that I will get 90s in those sections. Like I said earlier, the worse it can happen is that I get 20 incorrect questions (I knew 85 or more correct answers for sure), even then, I'll be in the 90s after the Standardized score curve. Now this was the morning session.

The afternoon session is a complete different story. Micro/Patho and Dental Anatomy was TOUGH!! Although Micro/Patho was tough, I'm still allowed ~30 questions incorrect to get into the 90s (70 out of 100 correct). I had some trouble in this section, but I think I should be OK!

Now the fourth section, Dental Anatomy, I should have done this section first before the Micro/Patho (you're able to do whatever section you want to out of the two first). This section requires a lot of visualization in your head and OH MY GOD, I was DEAD and TIRED by the time I got to this section. I was actually afraid that I was going to run out of time for this section (we had 3.5 hours to do Micro/Patho and Dental Anatomy). My neck was hurting, my eyes were in pain, and my stomach was aching during this whole entire section (the fourth section)!

OK, in the old exams (ASDA released exams) for the Dental Anatomy section, there are a lot of questions with pictures, THERE WERE NONE IN THIS EXAM! Dental Anatomy was F@#King tough this year! NO diagrams or teeth pictures with arrows! Ask anyone that took it today, I guarantee you that they will tell you the same!

Personally, I thought the Dental Anatomy was the toughest section out the four for me! Maybe it's because it was my last section or whatever and I was WAY too tired, but at the end, I was just like, I don't even care anymore! ( I can still miss roughly 15 questions and still get in the 90s)

The NBDE Part I started at 10:00 AM for us and we breaked at 1:30 PM for lunch, started back up at 2:45 PM and finished at 6:15 PM!

Bottom line, I feel that I did OK, I know that I've passed, especially for the first two sections. Although I felt that the last two sections were challenging, but I still feel that I did decent!

Did I pass? Oh, hell yeah, I could've passed it with my eyes closed! Did I get above 90s? We'll have to see in first week of September!

Endposse10:

I may be a post *****, but you know what? I'm a post ***** with the NBDE Part I under my belt. To many dental students, this is the biggest hump to get over and I'm over it! :D

yah-e

well if you're a post *****, can i be the wannabe post *****? :D i figure i still have a ways to go...

congrats to all who finished the nbde I! i'm sure you all passed!

Oral Anatomy without actual pictures, is this a first time for NBDE exames...

Does this means we should have to have the picture in our head instead in the paper..I guess that is fine but after a long tiresome day, who want to visualize.

Well Yah-E you did the best of your best, and that is what I am aiming for. And maybe I will follow that fella advice and do that oral Ana first...

I can't wait for your result Yeh-e..you are my study-method idol man...

So far we have:

95: Eight143, Dc-10
94: Tinker Bell, ItsGavinC, Endposse10
93: Dentisttobe, Bcat
92: Itsme, Yah-E, HIM0098
91: DrRob
90: EyeCandy, Supernumerary
89: Imdaman
88: Magik

Very nice everyone....thank you for your support and confidence. Keep these predications coming....I predict that I'll get a 92! ;)

Yes, HIM0098, not a single visual picture on the exam. We were all shocked!! That is why that it is advisable to do the Dental Anatomy section first so you're not so drained at the end of the exam visualizing all the movements, anatomy, and function of the teeth and mandible.

Gavin: being in the inaugural class at Arizona, perphaps you can suggest to your Dean of Student and Academic Affairs that you would like to have the option of taking the board immediately after your first year. Especially if I or my classmates did well, you can even use our statistics as your data to support your recommendation. Getting the school's approval may be very difficult to come by. I strongly believe that taking the Part I board after my first year was the best thing that I could've done to ease my dental educational stress!

The classes above us, both Class of 2004 and Class of 2005 had petitioned for this great opportunity to take the board a year earlier when they were D1s, but they were both denied by the school. For some amazing reason, our Dean finally gave in and allowed us to do it!

Our D3s now, Class of 2005, had only like 9 full days to prepare for the board where they didn't have clinics and patients (summer curriculum). I can't believe that the school only gave them a week off to prep for the boards!! Obviously for some, they started way back because they wanted to do well and knew that the school wouldn't give them enough time to study.

Also, about selling my studying aid for the NBDE Part I, I will be listing them on Ebay for auction probably in September after I received my official scores. If I received an average score of 90+, then I will sell everything. Here's the list of what I will sell:

1) Dental Decks - 2001 Edition
2) Kaplan NBDE Part I Review Book - 2003 Edition
3) Netter's Anatomy Flashcards
4) ASDA released exams - all 11 of them together

Other Info:

1) there were at least 10 repeat questions per section on this years exam

2) I strongly suggest the USMLE First Aid book for the Part I prep, get the latest edition

3) Dental Decks are pretty much flashcards that explains the ASDA released exams. That is why Dental Decks Corp only release a new edition of Dental Decks every three years because the ADA only release one version of the exam once every three years. These flashcards are basically the old exams with explanations

4) There are many versions of the exam amongst the exam takers. For example, I had Anatomical Sciences #71 and Biochem/Physio #72 while my classmate right next to me had #53 and #54. They're the same 100 questions per section, but just listed in different orders.

5) I'm bored now :laugh:

yah-e, you forgot me ...i had predicted 93%...you smartie you!! ;)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

93: Dentisttobe, Bcat, DrSmile, DDStothecore

Put me down for 93

Yah-E, you will do very well. I don't think you will score anything less than a 94.

You inspire all of us. Now I feel like taking the board too.

Yah-e,
Congratulations!!! I am positive you wud get a very good score.
UR post was very very interesting and motivating.
maybe u shud share ur document with everyone of us who will be taking the part :)
Itsme

You guys are way too confident in me! What if I only get a 82 or 79, wouldn't that be interesting and a disappointment? I bet a lot of people on here would be like "Man, look at this dork, he talked all big and now he shot himself in the foot!" :laugh:

All this wait for the score report will kill me, I can guarantee you that. Man, I'm hoping for a steep curve! I can't imagine that I've gotten more than 20 questions incorrect per section! If I get 80/100 questions correct in each of the four sections, I'll be in good shoes. I really don't know about Micro/Patho and Dental Anatomy sections (the afternoon session). If I receive bad score(s), then it would be in these two sections. Since I only used two days to study the Dental Anatomy section, my colleagues and I were laughing that woudn't be funny if I scored 99s in all 3 other sections and failed Dental Anatomy?

Once I receive my official scores, I will scan it, post it and share it with you all so you all can see what an actual NBDE Part I score report looks like and verify my scores. From previous NBDE part I takers, they have informed me that the score report does not include your the raw scores (the actual number of questions you answered correctly out of 100) and it will only give you the standardized score (converted score). In addition, given that if I receive an average above a 90, I will share with you all my personal DOs and DON'T about how to study for this exam in a future post.

In the mean time, here are the updates on predications:

93: Dentisttobe, Bcat, DrSmile, DDStothecore, Mcataz

I just found this site a couple weeks ago, and read a lot of posts. Based on what I read, I'm sure Yah-E scored above 90. My guess is a 91

BTW...Yah-E I interviewed at NOVA, but i'm on the foogin waitlist. Shooooooot, I'm on three waitlists and no school has accepted me yet :confused:

But congrats.

Originally posted by Yah-E
You guys are way too confident in me! What if I only get a 82 or 79, wouldn't that be interesting and a disappointment?

Dood,

I could get a 79 right now without having taken a single dental school course. Like somebody else said, it is hard NOT to pass that exam (but difficult to do exceptionally well).

Status
Not open for further replies.