My Family Medicine Application Journal.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what do you know... it does rain in November. I got an interview.

Total # of applications = 103
Replies = 3
Rejections = 21
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Members don't see this ad.

I have to confess my lack of comfort with this interview. It's clear I got called cause there was some cancellations. I will prepare me a pair of balls of steel for that interview. :cool:

i didn't realize fm was so tough to get....

aren't there hundreds of left over spots after the match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Faebinder I wish you the best of luck. I am not sure if this is the right place to vent, but so far I have only one interview. And based what I read every day chances are slim....but we have to keep moving on. It's hard to understand how we are scrounging for a few interviews and some have 27 interviews. I am sure we are not getting interviews because you guys are all scheduling too many....and for some of us getting what we can get across on paper is only so much, we really need the interview to make the difference. I think you should cap the interviews allowed. Because I am sure to the ones that are getting over 10 interviews for 25 or less applications you all look the same on paper and probably all interview the same too....

And of course.. end the day with a rejection from a program that didnt even bother telling me who they are or even mention the name of the hospital, and it's an eras rejection so cant see the email.. time for some hunting. Yup FM gets harder every year with number of spots dropping. Thanks docpu, I was in your shoes last year..

Replies = 3
Rejections = 22
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

And of course.. end the day with a rejection from a program that didnt even bother telling me who they are or even mention the name of the hospital, and it's an eras rejection so cant see the email.. time for some hunting. Yup FM gets harder every year with number of spots dropping. Thanks docpu.

Replies = 3
Rejections = 22
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Hang in there Faebinder! This is your year! Congrats on the interview invite today!

Thanks Volt.. hehe i just got rejected by the same program twice.. this time they were kind enough to include who they are. :cool: Well at least they replied.

OH wow, fourth rejection today.. this time I dont even see a single name or indication of who that is.

Replies = 3
Rejections = 23
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Faebinder I wish you the best of luck. I am not sure if this is the right place to vent, but so far I have only one interview. And based what I read every day chances are slim....but we have to keep moving on. It's hard to understand how we are scrounging for a few interviews and some have 27 interviews. I am sure we are not getting interviews because you guys are all scheduling too many....and for some of us getting what we can get across on paper is only so much, we really need the interview to make the difference. I think you should cap the interviews allowed. Because I am sure to the ones that are getting over 10 interviews for 25 or less applications you all look the same on paper and probably all interview the same too....
know how u feel, i am on hold several places, no interviews..

Now that's the way to get on everyone's good side. Hold on a second while I cancel the rest of my interviews so you can have a spot. I guess I forgot that all candidates who are strong on paper are homogenous drones. My apologies...

Now that's the way to get on everyone's good side. Hold on a second while I cancel the rest of my interviews so you can have a spot. I guess I forgot that all candidates who are strong on paper are homogenous drones. My apologies...

Great point Frijolero!!!!!!:idea:

Great point Frijolero!!!!!!:idea:

I agree guys, but I also see the posters point. They just may be really upset about their potential to match which is scary for anyone. Many of us do have a lot of interviews....and I'm sorry that its been harder for those that don't, but trust that we are all well wishers in your future.

I know I really don't schedule to take spots, but end up changing my mind later. Sometimes its hard to choose in the very beginning nad you need to see some places to figure it out.

Good luck to everyone! And I keep you in my prayers Fae!

I have to confess my lack of comfort with this interview. It's clear I got called cause there was some cancellations. I will prepare me a pair of balls of steel for that interview. :cool:

Good for you Faebinder...

And speaking of cancellations, can you all pass around the word to your fellow interviewees that it is really, really rude to simply NOT SHOW UP to an interview. Like not show up as in not be at the hotel you were supposed to be at, or the other one where you might also have been at, when the sleep deprived intern who is fighting off the flu has DRUG her you know WHAT out of her warm BED to take your ungrateful rude you know what to breakfast, after she IRONED a SKIRT and EVERYTHING, you have the AUDACITY to not show up???!! or for that matter, to answer your cell phone when we call wondering where you are?

You guys do realize all the planning and time and effort that goes into an interview day, right? How many people set aside time for you, how many other people cover for them while they interview you and take you out to breakfastlunchanddinner?

Wherever you are, buddy, you owe me an hour of sleep. Next year, you will understand how much that's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)

And speaking of cancellations, can you all pass around the word to your fellow interviewees that it is really, really rude to simply NOT SHOW UP to an interview. Like not show up as in not be at the hotel you were supposed to be at, or the other one where you might also have been at, when the sleep deprived intern who is fighting off the flu has DRUG her you know WHAT out of her warm BED to take your ungrateful rude you know what to breakfast, after she IRONED a SKIRT and EVERYTHING, you have the AUDACITY to not show up???!! or for that matter, to answer your cell phone when we call wondering where you are?

You guys do realize all the planning and time and effort that goes into an interview day, right? How many people set aside time for you, how many other people cover for them while they interview you and take you out to breakfastlunchanddinner?

Wherever you are, buddy, you owe me an hour of sleep. Next year, you will understand how much that's worth.

Easy there Sophie.. I'd take you out to dinner/lunch/breakfast anyday of the week, no interview needed. :cool: I'm not sure how the hubby would feel about that. :laugh: If I match in the great evil empire of Texas, we have got to get together. Kent will be jealous. heh.

Yeah, that kind of crap blows me away. You'd think that even lacking common decency, people would be smart enough to figure out that word gets around. That sucks, Sophie, and if I were in your shoes it would be hard for me not to spread the news to the other Texas programs.

Regarding interviews, Docpu, I can assure you that the vast majority of us aren't hoarding them and sticking them on our fridge. These things require time, money, and mental/emotional effort so know that I'll be going on as few as I possibly can while still feeling like I'm making an informed choice. For me, that number falls around 10. I haven't scheduled any interviews I don't fully plan on attending and I've notified the other programs that I'm withdrawing my app. I think that's reasonable. If you don't....well....sorry.

There are a lot of factors that go into deciding who gets an interview. Some programs, admittedly, filter out non-US grads. It's just that simple. It's not fair, and there are likely some excellent candidates that are lost that way, but it's the way it is done.

Others will filter then hand pick FMGs with outstanding board scores or something else that makes them attractive (experience, a fellowship, already practicing in home country, etc.)

While I think the number of interview slots does play a role with some of the FMG applicants, unfortunately, for those who don't stand out in some way, they probably would never have received an interview invite in the first place, whether US grads were hoarding them or not.

I am sure I hurt some feelings but that is why I put a number at 12 interviews. If within 12 you cannot decide than you won't make a better decision by adding more. Now that we got that out of the way. I've heard the programs then use the Residents feedback to rank their candidates. How is that done? And are we all applying for a PGY-1 position?

i didn't realize fm was so tough to get....

It isn't if you're a strong candidate. If you're a fringe candidate or FMG, it's a lot more difficult. I don't know of a single FM applicant at my school that received a rejection letter. Everyone batted 1.000.

Mmm... rejection is a sweet sorrow? Well here is another one anyway.

Replies = 3
Rejections = 24
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Mmm... rejection is a sweet sorrow? Well here is another one anyway.

Replies = 3
Rejections = 24
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

It's their loss Faebinder.....look at it this way, you have 6 interviews and that is a lot! I hope you get more invites and that you do well on your interviews!:luck:

There are a lot of factors that go into deciding who gets an interview. Some programs, admittedly, filter out non-US grads. It's just that simple. It's not fair, and there are likely some excellent candidates that are lost that way, but it's the way it is done.

Others will filter then hand pick FMGs with outstanding board scores or something else that makes them attractive (experience, a fellowship, already practicing in home country, etc.)

While I think the number of interview slots does play a role with some of the FMG applicants, unfortunately, for those who don't stand out in some way, they probably would never have received an interview invite in the first place, whether US grads were hoarding them or not.

While I agree that some excellent candidates are missed when programs filter IMG's I don't necessarily regard the process as unfair. When a large number of the IMG's I speak with are candid about their plans to return to their home countries to practice I can see why PD's are hesitant to add them to the interview list.

Docpu I took issue not with your limitation on number of interviews but rather with your implication that strong applicants obviously don't stand out during interviews. It just sounds like sour grapes; you certainly aren't hurting my feelings as you don't know me nor have you interviewed me. Speaking of rejections, NDMD, I got one yesterday from OHSU main campus. I'm not FMG nor fringe, either. Good luck FB, and sorry for the thread hijack!

I've heard the programs then use the Residents feedback to rank their candidates. How is that done? And are we all applying for a PGY-1 position?

Resident feedback is one part of the process, but not the only one. Yes, you are all applying for PGY-1. Unless, that is, you are applying for PGY-2. :confused:

Speaking of rejections, NDMD, I got one yesterday from OHSU main campus. I'm not FMG nor fringe, either. Good luck FB, and sorry for the thread hijack!

Ha Ha! Me too, and not even my first. I guess FM IS getting more competitive... unless one of my LOR writers dissed me... :scared: j/k Some of these programs are pretty competitive.

No, it's definitely not what it used to be. Thanks for the best wishes.

While I agree that some excellent candidates are missed when programs filter IMG's I don't necessarily regard the process as unfair. When a large number of the IMG's I speak with are candid about their plans to return to their home countries to practice I can see why PD's are hesitant to add them to the interview list.

Docpu I took issue not with your limitation on number of interviews but rather with your implication that strong applicants obviously don't stand out during interviews. It just sounds like sour grapes; you certainly aren't hurting my feelings as you don't know me nor have you interviewed me. Speaking of rejections, NDMD, I got one yesterday from OHSU main campus. I'm not FMG nor fringe, either. Good luck FB, and sorry for the thread hijack!

This is not why IMG's are filtered. Although some do not like to admit it there is a gross bias agianst IMG's. To take that further, there is a gross bias even among competitive hospitals with strong ties to a medical school to take those applicants over other US grads from other schools. It's a business and we should not pretend that the medical profession is always a virtuous one.

This is not why IMG's are filtered. Although some do not like to admit it there is a gross bias agianst IMG's. To take that further, there is a gross bias even among competitive hospitals with strong ties to a medical school to take those applicants over other US grads from other schools. It's a business and we should not pretend that the medical profession is always a virtuous one.

So you're saying my logic is faulty, and the reason I'm wrong is that "there is a gross bias agianst IMG's." I don't follow, amigo. I also think it's perfectly reasonable that programs end up with candidates they know better, i.e. students from schools with ties to the program. It's the same reason PD's prefer students who have done sub-I's with them. I don't see any lack of virtue in the situation as you've described it. Should we just make the whole thing a lottery instead?

So you're saying my logic is faulty, and the reason I'm wrong is that "there is a gross bias agianst IMG's." I don't follow, amigo. I also think it's perfectly reasonable that programs end up with candidates they know better, i.e. students from schools with ties to the program. It's the same reason PD's prefer students who have done sub-I's with them. I don't see any lack of virtue in the situation as you've described it. Should we just make the whole thing a lottery instead?

I am not saying this for the purpose of proving anyone's logic wrong nor do I want to be antagonistic. I am simply stating that there exists a gross bias against IMG's and even a bias between one US med school and another. In your previous post you say that it is not unfair for a PD to choose against IMGs and you give your reason. I am saying that if we really want to talk about fair then everyone should be looked at equally based on their credentials only. It is the lack of fairness that makes those involved less virtuous. By the same token, life is not fair, we all know this and we move on. So lets look at it this way rather than trying to justify that these PD's are being fair.

I am not saying this for the purpose of proving anyone's logic wrong nor do I want to be antagonistic. I am simply stating that there exists a gross bias against IMG's and even a bias between one US med school and another. In your previous post you say that it is not unfair for a PD to choose against IMGs and you give your reason. I am saying that if we really want to talk about fair then everyone should be looked at equally based on their credentials only. It is the lack of fairness that makes those involved less virtuous. By the same token, life is not fair, we all know this and we move on. So lets look at it this way rather than trying to justify that these PD's are being fair.

I'm fine with assessing candidates based solely on their credentials. Where we differ is that I think the medical school you come from is an important part of those credentials. You can't tell me that the majority of the guys in the caribbean are there because they like the weather. When objectivity of grades depends on a curve generated from peers you have to consider the academic strength of those peers. Stick me in Harvard COM and I guarantee I'd be at the bottom of the class. Additionally, US schools are subject to rigorous inspection and held to standards that obviously differ abroad. Are you of the opinion that eliminating alma mater from ERAS would be "fair" and desirable?

I'm fine with assessing candidates based solely on their credentials. Where we differ is that I think the medical school you come from is an important part of those credentials. You can't tell me that the majority of the guys in the caribbean are there because they like the weather. When objectivity of grades depends on a curve generated from peers you have to consider the academic strength of those peers. Stick me in Harvard COM and I guarantee I'd be at the bottom of the class. Additionally, US schools are subject to rigorous inspection and held to standards that obviously differ abroad. Are you of the opinion that eliminating alma mater from ERAS would be "fair" and desirable?

I know many Caribbean Grads that score higher that USMGs and USMLE is independant of school you went to. Well, anyway I don't want to get off the topic of this thread too much, this probably belongs in another thread. However you do have a point and it is well taken.

I just want wish everyone good luck in the match process regardless of where they went to school.

It's their loss Faebinder.....look at it this way, you have 6 interviews and that is a lot! I hope you get more invites and that you do well on your interviews!:luck:

I was just looking at the match statistics and the average number of contiguous ranks for matched applicants is 3 programs so 6 programs still puts you at a good chance.

I just got my 11th interview and I don't think I will be taking more because I don't think I need more than 12 since I got the programs I want and there is also the cost factor to consider.

Good Luck.

Hmm... YouTube is your friend. 99/99/99

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4MCrLRteMo[/YOUTUBE]

Hmm... YouTube is your friend. 99/99/99

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4MCrLRteMo[/YOUTUBE]

LOL :p that's freakin awesome!!! this is now my theme song i'll crank on the ipod just before my interviews!!!!

mmm.. should i be laughing?

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=n2pxz6DbfJI&feature=user[/YOUTUBE]

I think its hilarious people think these songs are literal. I thought it'd be obvious they're parodying every post ever made in any forum about the match. But hey, not everybody is going to get it.

Heh, today I got a rejection (it's been a quiet two weeks), but the rejection was more of a... we are too full to give you an interview and it was from a program that i had called asking if i can get an interview with them. I enjoy double rejections :D They make me feel warm from the inside.

Oh wow, my eras box is alive still and spitting out rejections.

Replies = 3
Rejections = 25
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Hey fae, I have been following your journal for fp and you have me really concerned!!! If you don't mind can you tell me what your numbers are? Where you went to school and how old you are? I know many people who are like 50 yrs old from UAG and able to get FP. Has it gotten that hard this year?

Hey fae, I have been following your journal for fp and you have me really concerned!!! If you don't mind can you tell me what your numbers are? Where you went to school and how old you are? I know many people who are like 50 yrs old from UAG and able to get FP. Has it gotten that hard this year?

Not too old (well I dont look too old I think). It has gotten harder this year. It gets harder every year in FM. Think about it, they dropped a 100+ positions last year and the year before that 60+. Chances are they dropped another 70+ this year. FM number of residency slots is on the decrease, for better or worse.

Well, we know how the old saying goes...

One rejection a day, keeps the residency away. :rolleyes:

Replies = 3
Rejections = 26
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Where did you go to school and what are your usmle scores? Did you pass on the first attempt or second? I think you may have an unusual circumstance situation

mm... Mama Faebinder said not to tell people things. It's kinda funny I told a person a couple of weeks back where I interviewed, they applied and got an interview there immediately. I'm happy for them, they needed the interview but I'm not too thrilled about spilling info in this rat race. Maybe after.

Step 3 coming up... and the anxiety reaches maximum peek.
icon_crazy.gif

Mmmm.. myras account is still alive it seems. I got another rejection.

Replies = 3
Rejections = 27
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

I am almost at the estimated number of feedbacks. I though I'd get 50% feedback.

Wow, they are actually still looking to reject? Shocker. You know how there are programs out there that you think to yourself, "Please God don't let me match there." Heh, got a rejection from one of those.:laugh:

Replies = 3
Rejections = 28
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Wow, they are actually still looking to reject? Shocker. You know how there are programs out there that you think to yourself, "Please God don't let me match there." Heh, got a rejection from one of those.:laugh:

Replies = 3
Rejections = 28
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Sorry to hear about that Faebinder. Why would you apply to a program you wouldn't want to match in? Hang in there and hopefully you are kicking butt with your interviews you have.

Sorry to hear about that Faebinder. Why would you apply to a program you wouldn't want to match in? Hang in there and hopefully you are kicking butt with your interviews you have.

Mmm... I dont know, I thought it was a good program... then you hear some nightmares about it later you know.

I think I'm kicking ass on my interviews oddly. Gosh what did Turk says? "Smurfaration, Smurfaration, and Smurfaration."

Got one more left to go to then I start second visits. My pockets are empty.:hardy:

Oh wow got a reply to a thank you card I sent. :biglove:

Wow, my account is still alive to spit out rejections... well actually it's just a program telling me they prematched all their positions. heh. :beat:

Replies = 3
Rejections = 28
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 6

Status
Not open for further replies.