My Family Medicine Application Journal.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting rejection today... one that says there were over 750 applicants which is greater than last year for them apparently. I noticed that the more positions there are in a program, the more people apply.... of course. Making it even harder to get an interview.

Total # of applications = 103
Replies = 5
Rejections = 7
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 3

Members don't see this ad.

Your determination will pay off Fae - don't worry! :luck::luck::luck:

Added one more that I am beating myself in the head for not putting it in. Gosh how did I forget that one.

Got one interview as well :) Life is getting prettier and I'm starting to see colors. :oops:

Replies = 5
Rejections = 7
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

Poety2: Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, I can feel it, Faebinder...this is YOUR year! :luck:

Again, I can feel it, Faebinder...this is YOUR year! :luck:

ya thanks IaB... I'm pretty psyched... even though the competition has increased this year yet again.... we'll see. I started reading a book to help me with my interviews. It's very fascinating.. I have to recommend it to everyone someday. It gets into the psyche of the interviewers. I am quite shocked how the world is too unimaginative. I'll explain sometime later. There is a huge difference in my interview style this year... for one thing I didnt realize how much that mattered.

Got a rejection today after a reply. A nice rejection though..

Replies = 4
Rejections = 8
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

Ooooh... today was special.. I got a "mailed" rejection... well at least they didnt leave me hanging.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 9
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

Ooooh... today was special.. I got a "mailed" rejection... well at least they didnt leave me hanging.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 9
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

I have a feeling we got the same letter. Was it from a rainy city in the pacific northwest?

hmmm.... one more rejection. 25% interviews.. hmm.. might still make it.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 10
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

I started calling places inquiring about the status... triggered a rejection i guess after they evaluated the file. Well at least they didnt leave me hanging.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 11
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

I started calling places inquiring about the status... triggered a rejection i guess after they evaluated the file. Well at least they didnt leave me hanging.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 11
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

Sorry to hear about that faebinder. Some places don't like applicants calling to check on their application status, according to some of my classmates and attendings. Best of luck to you and hang in there!:luck:

Wow, calling them for an answer is working better than i expected... got another rejection.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 12
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, calling them for an answer is working better than i expected... got another rejection.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 12
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

Wishing you a few more interview invites this week Faebinder! :idea:

Replies = 4
Rejections = 12
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 4

Yeah, I don't recommend calling. Some programs are super uptight about that and may be quicker to reject if they feel like you are bothering them. It's early yet. Patience.

Well thanks Volt... yah I hear ya Sophie... but some programs you can tell they dont want you sorta and they have just not bothered to email you saying no.

So today I got 1 rejection and 1 interview... Huzzah!!! I will take that trade.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 13
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

Well thanks Volt... yah I hear ya Sophie... but some programs you can tell they dont want you sorta and they have just not bothered to email you saying no.

So today I got 1 rejection and 1 interview... Huzzah!!! I will take that trade.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 13
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

faebinder, did you apply to programs all over the country or in just certain geographical regions?

faebinder, did you apply to programs all over the country or in just certain geographical regions?

I hand picked the programs... they are all over... except California.. the evil state that needs 500 dollars for PTAL... That's equivilant of 20 applications.

I hand picked the programs... they are all over... except California.. the evil state that needs 500 dollars for PTAL... That's equivilant of 20 applications.

Oh I see Faebinder. What is PTAL?

$505 to apply for it with no guarantee they'll actually approve you. Not to mention they make you turn in an attending signed form for every single rotation you do, have your med school fill out forms, certified copy of diploma, letters from everyone you've dated.....ok that part isn't true but it is ridiculous.

Once you turn in everything it takes up to 6 months to get it, and most programs in California require you to have it in hand to even apply for residency! Suffice it to say they don't make it easy on us IMGs.

It's monday... came home from rounds around 9:40 pm.. I am on call tonight... and I find a wonderful mailed in rejection.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 14
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

It has been a rather quiet october.

Got tired of it being quiet so I called a couple of places. Hmm.. got a rejection on the phone... always fun.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 15
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

$505 to apply for it with no guarantee they'll actually approve you. Not to mention they make you turn in an attending signed form for every single rotation you do, have your med school fill out forms, certified copy of diploma, letters from everyone you've dated.....ok that part isn't true but it is ridiculous.

Once you turn in everything it takes up to 6 months to get it, and most programs in California require you to have it in hand to even apply for residency! Suffice it to say they don't make it easy on us IMGs.

no kidding just more red tape... however i have received some invitations from cali prgms and my file is still under review by the board. the programs have notified me that they will consider you as long as the PTAL is finalized before you begin residency. but i'm sure thats not the case for all prgms and they can always use this as a loophole to not grant us anything....

best of luck guys... and hang in there faebinder!:luck:

Yay, got a rejection today... I love feedback. I am predicting 50% replies unless I prod for more.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 16
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

Yay, got a rejection today... I love feedback. I am predicting 50% replies unless I prod for more.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 16
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

Hang in there Faebinder........I would stop the inquiry calls for now......but I am sure things will pick up for you. :luck:

Hang in there Faebinder........I would stop the inquiry calls for now......but I am sure things will pick up for you. :luck:

Thanks Volt.. Although in my opinion... Family Medicine is done deciding who they will interview at this point. The only appointments to be given now are for those who dropped their interviews. At least I got 5. Last year I applied to only 38 and got 5. I think it got a bit harder this year.. I guess we have a drop of another 100 positions this year again from FM residency.

Thanks Volt.. Although in my opinion... Family Medicine is done deciding who they will interview at this point. The only appointments to be given now are for those who dropped their interviews. At least I got 5. Last year I applied to only 38 and got 5. I think it got a bit harder this year.. I guess we have a drop of another 100 positions this year again from FM residency.

This is doubtful since many schools have not released their dean's letters yet and some residencies don't even start seriously reviewing apps till Nov 1st.

Faebinder: I know that it seems like the end BUT it is NOT! Many, many programs still are offering interviews......:idea: Just be patient about hearing back.

Note to Self: Nutrition Consult: Strict Calorie Count + Counseling on Weight Loss Maintaince During Interviews.

Ahh.. another rejection.. mm.. heh... november was always a weak month for me.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 17
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

Dear Applicant,

We have recieved over 5,000 applications for our 4 residency positions. In order for us to properly screen our applicants, we have decided to interview only those who are truly willing to promote community health. Attached to this email is a signature form. Please head to the nearest medical school and volunteer for digital rectal exams practice for medical students. Each medical student should sign, place their name, and contact email on the form before you return it to us. While having a low number of digital rectal exam is by no means a negative, we will be giving preference for applicants who have undergone a higher number of voluntary DREs.

Sincerely,

Stacy, Program Coordinator

Dear Applicant,

We have recieved over 5,000 applications for our 4 residency positions. In order for us to properly screen our applicants, we have decided to interview only those who are truly willing to promote community health. Attached to this email is a signature form. Please head to the nearest medical school and volunteer for digital rectal exams practice for medical students. Each medical student should sign, place their name, and contact email on the form before you return it to us. While having a low number of digital rectal exam is by no means a negative, we will be giving preference for applicants who have undergone a higher number of voluntary DREs.

Sincerely,

This was really great, thanks. Hang in there with the applications! As I kept hearing... It only takes one. From your posts on this forum, you seem like the type to interview well. You'll probably have a spot at most programs you interview with. Best of luck and thanks for the updates!

FM PGY-2
Match survivor

Dear Applicant,

Sincerely,

Sweet! This means I'm almost guaranteed a residency spot!

This was really great, thanks. Hang in there with the applications! As I kept hearing... It only takes one. From your posts on this forum, you seem like the type to interview well. You'll probably have a spot at most programs you interview with. Best of luck and thanks for the updates!

FM PGY-2
Match survivor

Thanks...

And so today (well yesterday since its past 1 am) I just had my first pressure interview. Well I hope to God it was a pressure interview cause if it wasn't, that was plain brutal. I take it back about Family Medicine interviews being "benign". Being put on the spot multiple times and pressured with strong "Why do want to be here" followed by "You seem to want to go into Gastroenterology:eek:" and of course my favorite "Will you be doing an observership with us?" Pulse Ox reading shows the patient Faebinder Pulse is 150.. can we call that arrythmia yet? Wow. I can go into further details like how I had to talk about a medical case they gave me and which when mister Faebinder put his foot in his mouth by claiming "We had a similar case"... she of course proceeded to question that... and when the first case I compared for them was not enough... she wanted another. I mean wow, I guess they expect now a days to get applicants who been through residency or something? Like I said, I hope that was just a simple case of pressure interview but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

MMmmm.... mini rejection this morning :D

Replies = 4
Rejections = 18
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

MMmmm.... mini rejection this morning :D

Replies = 4
Rejections = 18
On Hold = 1
Interviews = 5

5 interviews, sweet!

Sorry bout the pressure interview, that sucks. Oh well, I'm sure you handled it fine and you are better prepared for the next one now. Good luck

5 interviews, sweet!

Sorry bout the pressure interview, that sucks. Oh well, I'm sure you handled it fine and you are better prepared for the next one now. Good luck

Yes indeed.. I will be bringing lotsa lubricant.:biglove:

Good luck with matching.

Thanks Doo.

Got an "On Hold" this morning. I kinda like those for some reason. I'm kinda in the middle about this... On one hand I want the interviews that way I improve my chances. On the other hand, I dread the cost (airplane + hotel + car rental) especially if the program has no real interest in me.

Replies = 4
Rejections = 18
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 5

ugh, do I feel you on the costs. I have an interview I was sitting on the fence about - then decided to go for it - in 24 hours the cost of a plane ticket jumped $130. *@#%

I really don't think any program would invite you if they do not have a real interest in you. I tried to match last year and assumed some programs just invited me out of curiosity or something- I know I ruined my chances by being somewhat suspicious of invites, and lacking inherent confidence. This year I think I am doing better just by simply realizing they want me.

But these programs are busy and run by professionals. They get many more applications than they grant invites, even poorly competitive programs. They do not have to invite anyone. If they invited you they think you are a good choice.

I posted this somewhere else but there is a movie called HITCH with Will Smith. He is an expert who helps guys with no game hook up with girls they like. In one scene he is talking to a guy right before a date and says something like : She is going out with you. This is good. That means she likes you. At this point your job is NOT to try and get her to like you, she already likes something about you. Your job is simply NOT TO BLOW IT!

I think the same thing is true here. Nobody in a residency has the time , money or inclination to invite a bunch of people just to laugh at them behind their backs. They usually pay for hotels - they are not going to waste that money on someone they are just going to ignore. If they asked you on this date they like you and are really interested in you.

ugh, do I feel you on the costs. I have an interview I was sitting on the fence about - then decided to go for it - in 24 hours the cost of a plane ticket jumped $130. *@#%

I really don't think any program would invite you if they do not have a real interest in you. I tried to match last year and assumed some programs just invited me out of curiosity or something- I know I ruined my chances by being somewhat suspicious of invites, and lacking inherent confidence. This year I think I am doing better just by simply realizing they want me.

But these programs are busy and run by professionals. They get many more applications than they grant invites, even poorly competitive programs. They do not have to invite anyone. If they invited you they think you are a good choice.

I posted this somewhere else but there is a movie called HITCH with Will Smith. He is an expert who helps guys with no game hook up with girls they like. In one scene he is talking to a guy right before a date and says something like : She is going out with you. This is good. That means she likes you. At this point your job is NOT to try and get her to like you, she already likes something about you. Your job is simply NOT TO BLOW IT!

I think the same thing is true here. Nobody in a residency has the time , money or inclination to invite a bunch of people just to laugh at them behind their backs. They usually pay for hotels - they are not going to waste that money on someone they are just going to ignore. If they asked you on this date they like you and are really interested in you.

Ahh, we disagree there. She (the residency program) might like you...but does she like someone else more. It's not about blowing it, although messing things up is certainly easy to do, it's about making sure they like you more than anyone else. And yes it is like dating, except you are the ugly chick and the program is home coming champ? Well depending on your credentials.

Ahh, we disagree there. She (the residency program) might like you...but does she like someone else more. It's not about blowing it, although messing things up is certainly easy to do, it's about making sure they like you more than anyone else. And yes it is like dating, except you are the ugly chick and the program is home coming champ? Well depending on your credentials.

i agree with fae on this one. they like u, and they need to fill up their interview slots as well. but in the end, come ranking, they could have loved u in person, but they are going for the stats in the end, (scores, school, etc,), that has preference in terms of ranking..

I agree with Faebinder in that they will choose who they like best. The only thing that is certain is that you have the credentials that they want so you do not have to impress them with that otherwise they would not have invited you, but when they rank you they ask themselves can I really work with this person for the next 3 years? If yes, you move closer to the top.

I agree with Faebinder in that they will choose who they like best. The only thing that is certain is that you have the credentials that they want so you do not have to impress them with that otherwise they would not have invited you, but when they rank you they ask themselves can I really work with this person for the next 3 years? If yes, you move closer to the top.

Yes, this is more like what I was trying to say. Interviews are Dale Carnegie type situations.

OOh... one of the places that replied to me mailed me a rejection...

To PDs... save some money for the poor residents and send me a rejection email instead.. I figured if they reject 500 people they could save about $1.5 in mailing costs so maybe $750? That's $50 in books for 15 residents. I'm just looking out for you that's all. :hungover:

Replies = 3
Rejections = 19
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 5

Woo woo.. i reached 20 rejections today. I gotta tell you, my love for the western side of the US has decreased termendously.

Replies = 3
Rejections = 20
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 5

mm... i might actually reach 50% feedback if this rate continues.. (yeah right).

Replies = 3
Rejections = 21
On Hold = 2
Interviews = 5

Status
Not open for further replies.