My chances into UT Honors (Plan 2) or Georgetown

vstexas09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my info: do i have a chance at the UT Austin Plan 2 honors program or georgetown university..

SAT: 2010

Education:
8/16/05 – 06/07/09 North Shore Senior High School Houston, Texas.

Activities:
9th-11th Speech and Debate/ Forensics 12 hr/wk, 36 wks
· Facilitator (10th-12th), School Representative (10th-12th)
· Competed in Region and State Level Competitions
· Assisted in coordinating events and enrollment
· Extemporaneous, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Improv, Soapbox, etc.

9th-12th Trinity Mar Thoma Youth Fellowship 3 hr/wk, 42wks
      • Area Representative (12th)
      • Conducted prayer events, retreat camps, sports tournaments
      • Participated in Mexico Mission Project, Habitat for Humanity

11th-12th North Shore Gents Chapter 4 hr/wk, 36wks
      • Community Service Projects (Lupus Walk, AIDS walk, Red Cross)
      • Step Show Tournaments
      • Conducted meetings bi-weekly discussing issues affecting organization and community

10th-12th National Honor Society 3 hr/wk, 36 wks
      • Community Services (Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Toys for Tots)
      • Assisted sponsors in coordinating meetings and agenda
      • Contacted members of intriguing fields to speak as guests
      • Updated volunteer hours and dues for each member

11th – 12th National Technical Honor Society 5 hr/wk, 15 wks
      • Treasurer (12th)
      • Conducted meetings to discuss developing vocational opportunities
      • Managed budget of organization
      • Community Service (Trash Bash, Basketball Tournaments

11th-12th Trinity Mar Thoma Times Magazine 2 hr/wk, 15 wks
      • Student Editor (11th-12th)
      • Gathered articles from students in Sunday School to publish
      • Distributed issues to church members
      • Spoke on behalf of the progress of the organization

9th-11th Volunteer Service in the Medical Field 30 hr/wk, 12wks
      • Grainger’s Diagnostic Clinic, Northeast Rehab Center, St. Joseph Medical Center, Doctor’s Hospital, Tidwell
      • Shadowing medical doctors and staff throughout hospitals and clinics
      • Assisted staff with office work (filing, faxing, computer data entry)

9th-10th Student Council 10 hr/wk, 36 wks
      • Assisted teachers and staff with school events
      • Tutored students at after school and on weekends
      • Decorated school during pep rallies and other events
      • Organized dances, parties, social gatherings, and tournaments

12th Senior Class 3hr/wk, 36 wks
      • Class Representative (12th)
      • Organized events such as Prom, Homecoming, and Field Day
      • Distributed material regarding graduation, class ring, prom fundraising
      • Gathered opinions regarding senior class experience
      • Organized fundraisers and other social activities

9th-10th Radio/Video Club 2 hr/wk, 36 wks
      • Radio DJ (9th-10th), Telecasting Crew Member (10th)
      • Played various selected tracks over school radio
      • Served as alternate correspondent for school news station
      • Assisted video crew with recording and editing news reports

Awards/Achievements:
9th-12th Academic All- Honors
Maintaining all ‘A’ average throughout high school
9th-12th Perfect Attendance
Maintaining Perfect Attendance throughout high school
11th-12th Gents Honorary Scholar’s Award
Attained perfect scores on a series of given tests
9th, 11th Regional Best Speaker Award
Given for most number of speaker points tallied in a singlecompetition
10th, 12th Class of 2009 “Most Intelligent” and “Most Likely to Succeed”
Voted by class population by survey
9th-12th Volunteer Service Award
Volunteered 400+ hours during summer time

Skills/Talents:
Public Speaker

Given small messages and sermons to both school and church population
A Capella Band
Started a local band; in the process of writing songs and beats
Film Production
Began a small film production company called “Gummiballs Production” on YouTube, recording short skits and stories

Members don't see this ad.

I really hate to ask but whats your ethnicity?

You should be in UT honors (though i dont know that much about it, should be like regular state school honor programs)

For georgetown you are below on the SAT level but your rank should definately help you. Question.....if you can go as far as George town...why Limit yourself to UT honors 2nd choice? You have RICE in your state, which is on par with georgetown.

I also think you should try for Dartmouth just for the hell of it. They love valedictorian and salututorians.

I'd say likely, I always wanted to go to Georgetown.. I live a long ways away and don't have enough dinero. ;)

Perfect attendance 9th-12th grade... thats some dedication right there lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good shot at both schools, however you might want to retake your SAT or try the ACT if you can, to increase your chances at Georgetown. Also, what other schools are you applying to?

im indian...do u guys think i have a shot at the UT honors program??

im indian...do u guys think i have a shot at the UT honors program??

ok, so you dont exactly have miniority status but thats fine.
I think you will definately be in the pool of competitive applicants for UT honors. Meaning, you wont be one of those who they check gpa and sat, and if it doesnt meet cut off they throw away ur app.

Also i asked before, but let me ask again, why are those 2 the only ones you ask of? Why not apply broadly? (mainly ones that are top 100), i think you have a good chance at many schools, where they will assist you financially, dont limit yourself, especially if your SAT out of 1600 is 1350+)

ok, so you dont exactly have miniority status but thats fine.
I think you will definately be in the pool of competitive applicants for UT honors. Meaning, you wont be one of those who they check gpa and sat, and if it doesnt meet cut off they throw away ur app.

Also i asked before, but let me ask again, why are those 2 the only ones you ask of? Why not apply broadly? (mainly ones that are top 100), i think you have a good chance at many schools, where they will assist you financially, dont limit yourself, especially if your SAT out of 1600 is 1350+)

Depends on what "indian" is. If you qualify as a Native American or whatever they specify that ethnicity is, you're pretty much the most under-represented minority there is.

asian indian...south indian...i come from a low income family...from a poor neighborhood in houston...

any luck ill get into any of these programs??

Depends on what "indian" is. If you qualify as a Native American or whatever they specify that ethnicity is, you're pretty much the most under-represented minority there is.

I doubt the OP means native american. By indian i think he means one who is from india. Also because of the slumdog avatar :D

asian indian...south indian...i come from a low income family...from a poor neighborhood in houston...

I can relate as we are from similar ethnicity's. YES you have a chance, read what i wrote earlier. Its better to get into the honors because they will probably cover your tuition, if not i think you will be ok for merit scholarships.

All you can do is hope, your a competitive applicant. If your very interested about the honors program see if anyone from ur school can put in a good word for you...maybe someone at ur college office or something knows someone at UT. Also call UT to ask if there is anything further needed to increase your chances if you wish.

okay i guess i miscalculated...my actual SAT composite score is 1950, and i applied a few days beforethe deadline...

i know this adversely affects my chances...but what is your take??

In @ UT honors.

Georgetown is a low reach/high match maybe. I would increase your SAT score.

but its too late...and i have taken the test 3 times...im not going to lie, i struggle with the SAT..im not the best critical thinker, but i try to excell in other areas...

Members don't see this ad :)
but its too late...and i have taken the test 3 times...im not going to lie, i struggle with the SAT..im not the best critical thinker, but i try to excell in other areas...

Forget a retake. You took it 3 times, your not going to get much more than 2000, and thats at best. Its ok, a 1950 is not a bad score (i too have critical reading problems), i had near there, i was ranked 9, and got into great schools. I think you should apply more broad though it might be a little late or approaching deadlines.

Just wait it out, hopefully you applied to more stellar schools like george town, and arent 100% relying on georgetown or UT honors.

Like i said, i really think you should have applied to at the least Cornell (the easiest ivy to get into arguably) and Dartmouth because your rank 2. You stats are fine, your EC's and GPA make up for your SATs for the schools you are trying to go to.

Forget a retake. You took it 3 times, your not going to get much more than 2000, and thats at best. Its ok, a 1950 is not a bad score (i too have critical reading problems), i had near there, i was ranked 9, and got into great schools. I think you should apply more broad though it might be a little late or approaching deadlines.

Just wait it out, hopefully you applied to more stellar schools like george town, and arent 100% relying on georgetown or UT honors.

Like i said, i really think you should have applied to at the least Cornell (the easiest ivy to get into arguably) and Dartmouth because your rank 2. You stats are fine, your EC's and GPA make up for your SATs for the schools you are trying to go to.

Agreed. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i must admit something...i have only applied to those schools, and some local ones...do i still have a shot??

You have a shot at both. I think you will be in at UT Honors and MAYBE GT.

In at all the local ones I guess.

Im pretty sure the local schools will invite you into their own honors program if they have (they should), with money $.

my top choice is actually getting into Plan 2 at UT, but I really don't know of any statistics of the types of kids that get in there...anyone know??

my top choice is actually getting into Plan 2 at UT, but I really don't know of any statistics of the types of kids that get in there...anyone know??

check there website, or better yet call the school. They will be happy to answer questions.

ok so out of the 1200 students that apply, 300 get admission, with an entering freshman class of 180...

my confidence was shot down...

so i sent an email to the dean just asking about the experience...

PS...this is for Plan 2...

im a neurotic and deepakote i know u know that its just out of 1200 only 300 get in wtf???

im a neurotic and deepakote i know u know that its just out of 1200 only 300 get in wtf???

You overestimate my knowledge of texas school honors program admissions.

But still, with a 1950, high class rank and appropriate extracurriculars I think it was fine to say that you've got a good shot at the UT honors programs and your local schools. GTown is as stretch but not obscenely so.

the thing with Gtown is that i feel like i aced the interview....

and that not a lot of ppl applied for gtown this year..

i don't know about honors...

I'm very familiar with the University of Texas because I went there for undergrad, and let me offer my kudos to you for pursuing plan II honors. To clarify for others on the thread that might not be familiar with it, plan II honors IS NOT the same as the regular university honors program. It's a MUCH more rigorous and broad curriculum compared to the other honors programs within the university, and many plan II students carry two majors (with one of them being plan II). Competition for admission is stiff since the majority of the applicant pool is higher-achieving than regular UT-bound honors student.

Based on what I've seen at UT and with what I know about Georgetown, I would say your chances are the same at both: Good, but not a sure thing. I don't know how interested you are in taking out loans in undergrad, but if you get into UT (but not plan II) and G'town, I would very seriously consider going to UT unless G'town gives you a generous financial aid package. Trust me, the education is wonderful and the opportunities unlimited (even if you are just a regular student like I was). Good luck!

anyone know what i can do to boost my chances at the school?

anyone know what i can do to boost my chances at the school?

Just relax, its March, i assume by now deadlines are already over. All you can do is wait and hope you get in.

Its your senior year, enjoy it while you still have it, because your first semester your going to wish you were back there unless your super happy with college.

Plus, at this point, there's nothing you can really do to boost your chances by any significant amount.

i'm a little nervous...hope that i get accepted..wish me luck...

well...i just got rejected from another honors program i applied to...dean's scholars honor program...kinda got my hopes down even though they only take like 30 kids...

just got rejected from deans scholars....

are you serious?? well there's my shot...

like i said...i got rejected from dean's scholars...

plan 2...if that's the case for the SAT score...then what??

Then you may get rejected from plan II, but you'll still go to college and it will be very far from being the end of the world.