UNC Chapel Hill vs UT Austin for Pre-Med

sharklog71

Reaction score
Which school is more ideal for a pre-med applicant? I still have 18 decisions left, but UT is my state school that may come out soon and UNC is the first reach I have received so I'm wondering which one is better in terms of opportunity, culture, reputation, community, and ig the best set-up for medical school, not including cost. Cost is obviously an important factor, but as of rn I don't know much about the schools and am just interested in learning more about the pros/cons of each school compared to each other, before discussing cost in comparison to the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

First, do you see yourself practicing in Texas or NC?

Secondly, Texas uses its own application system (TMDSAS) to help retain Texas residents to work in health care in Texas. Ultimately the cost will be cheaper with Texas in-state tuition. So with that said, UT will field a ton of applicants, especially within the state that you would have to compete against for a med school slot, but there are so many slots in state that the challenge is not completely impossible if you do well in your studies and get what you need to do for a strong application.