My Arizona Experience (DS-1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What a Biography!. Can I get your autograph?

I like the idea, keep it up.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, we had our Radiology test on Wednesday, and most of the class thought it was very difficult. I only put in 1-2 hours TOTAL of study time, and thought it wasn't too bad. I'm expecting an 85% or so, which is phenomenal given the amount of time I devoted to it. We'll get our scores back this week, so we'll see...

We also finished up the final lecture for our Dermatology module on Friday. The exam for that is on Monday and covers 800+ powerpoint slides, which is absurd.

We're learning ~90 diseases and conditions, most of which develop a red rash and are itchy. Makes it tough to study, as you can imagine. For those reasons I'm a little worried about the exam, but I'll let you all know how it goes.

The Derm test was rough! The high score in the class was a 92, and we've been told that there was a wide spread of scores.

From word-of-mouth, I'm guessing that the score spread was a 52-92, which is huge given the fact that we are all smart and capable students.

Right now we are in our Neuroanatomy module, which is two weeks long. In those two weeks we will have a lab practical, as well as two didactic exams. We'll also have our PBL cases to help boost our grades.

We received our grades for the courses we've completed thus far (a total of 8). My GPA is in the B+/A- range, which I'm happy with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very impressed with the time and effort that our faculty have put into making our new learning system work for us.

As many of you know, the initial grading system was very harsh (96+ = A!). Afterall, there is nothing like getting a 91 and scoring a B (not a B+, just a B!).

Here is our official grading system:

92-100 = A
85-91 = B+
80-84 = B
75-79 = C+
70-74 = C
68-70 = D

Along with that, the faculty may apply to different options concerning our didactic exams:

1) If the high score is low, or there are not a signifigant number of As, then the scores will be adjusted so that the top scores receive As. For example, on our Derm test the high score was a 92, with the next highest being an 88. I assume these scores would cause the scale to be shifted a bit.

2) If a signifigant number of people score below the mandatory passing mark (68%), then two standard deviations below the mean will be applied as the new passing scale.

Gavin,
Does Arizona have a fitness center? Its important to excercise other muscles in your body beside the brain.

We have free passes to World's Gym or LA Fitness, your choice.

The onsite gym will be built within the next 2-3 years, but I doubt I'll be around to see it.

The World's Gym is just 2 blocks down the street, but there are 5-6 other locations here in the east valley as well.

Gavin, as much as you post in the predental forum when do you have time to study? You are all over this place!!! Don't get me wrong, keep it up, I like reading them but I'm just curious.

Gavin,

I hope current dental students help with the interview/tour process at Arizona. I have read a good share of your posts and I hope I get the chance to meet the person that has helped so many pre-dental students. Including me! I'll be there 9/30.

Originally posted by mchitsquad
Gavin, as much as you post in the predental forum when do you have time to study? You are all over this place!!! Don't get me wrong, keep it up, I like reading them but I'm just curious.

Once again, some of our lectures are mind-numbing. For example, right now my classmates are asking the professor questions that I already understand, so I'm posting.

Originally posted by SouthDakotaDDS
Gavin,

I hope current dental students help with the interview/tour process at Arizona. I have read a good share of your posts and I hope I get the chance to meet the person that has helped so many pre-dental students. Including me! I'll be there 9/30.

Congrats!

I'm a student ambassador, but we aren't sure if we'll be helping or if the faculty will just choose random people.

Still, I'd love to meet you when you come, so look for me!

By the way, I thought I'd let you all know that Neuroanatomy seriously sucks.

Our professor is the King of neuro, and I have NO complaints at all about him. Royce Montgomery is from UNC med. school and has been teaching there for forty years. He is great and is really trying to help us learn it.

The material is interesting and blah at the same time. Anybody with me on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday we finished up our two-week Neuroanatomy module, which means the test is this coming Monday.

The instructor, Dr. Royce Montgomery from UNC, was amazing! He often sat with us until 10:30 at night, sharing popcorn and licorice with us while he explained his notes. Last Saturday he was heading back to his hotel after the Cardinals (NFL) game and thought he would drop by the school to see if students in the library might need help. There were a couple of us in there and we talked to him for awhile. It was 7:30 on a Sunday evening.

He was really a class-act guy through and through. Thus far I've enjoyed all our professors, but our UNC professors have been top-notch. I envy those attending UNC medical school, and also the dental students to the extent that they get these fabulous teachers as well.

Next week we are beginning our Mind & Cognition module. It's taught by Dr. Lex Townes from...Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (our sister school)! :D

Well, we wrapped up our Mind & Cognition module, and it wasn't too eventful.

In other news, we have this entire week off, so many of my classmates have returned home to Utah, Oregon, Florida, California, and New Mexico, to name a few.

I'm just chillin' in AZ trying to get some stuff done that I haven't had time to do yet.

We'll have our Mind & Cognition test next Monday when we return from the break.

Happy breaking!

Out of curosity, how many breaks do you get like this? I think this is an awesome idea to keep students from burning out.

We get this one in the fall, and then one in the spring (spring break).

Our breaks are pretty good though, considering we don't really have a summer. We only get 4-5 weeks off for summer. This is becoming the norm for dental schools, however.

Our Thanksgiving break is 18 days, which is nice, and certainly longer than most schools. Actually, I don't know if *any* school has an 18 day Thanksgiving break.

WOW...18 days :eek:

I'm jealous as hell.

Yeah, but remember, we started on July 21, and only have 4-5 weeks off during the summer (although most schools are doing summer that way now).

We did start rather early, though, because we will be starting our 13th week of school next Monday.

We finished up our Mind & Cognition module today by taking our usual Monday morning exam.

The exam wasn't too bad. I only studied 2 hours or so for the ENTIRE week, and still did well enough.

Today we started our Endocrinology module, which is being taught by an MD from the University of Minn. medical school.

Endocrinology was what I did my research in during undergrad, so I feel quite at home with it.

In further news, I, along with three of my classmates, met with the Vital Source technology group, along with our administration today. What happened is in my next post...

We met because Vital Source wanted a general update on how the curriculum was going. Myself and three other students attended to try to get some closure on several issues that we feel the class has been very frustrated by.

The first and primary issue is that many of us have been worried about our preparation for the NBDE 1 exam, which we are taking this coming July.

After meeting with the faculty and Vital Source group, I can honestly say that many of my fears have been alleviated, and many of my questions have been answered.

Many of us (myself included) were under the impression that ALL of our basic science material was coming this first semester, which wasn't quite going to cut it when it comes time to pass the boards. It would leave TOO much information up to our own study habits.

Truth is that all of the courses during our next semester will incorporate a lot of basic science material in them, and will do a lot to focus precisely on the Board materials.

So, although our next semester looks like it is completely comprised of "dental-only" classes, there are signifigant portions within those classes that are designed to prep us to ace the Boards.

Also, our classes this semester have all been one-week courses (with the exception of two of them). Next semester we will have some courses that will be 6 weeks long. Although we will STILL only have that one course during that period, these courses will provide us with ample instruction for acing the boards and mastering the pre-clinical material.

Another cool thing is that our faculty is purchasing the Kaplan review course for all of us.

I'll write more about all of this later.

Gavin,

I was just curious if you have had any negative experiences at the school. Any complaints with the program at all? What so far, have you found to be the most difficult?

I am really hoping to get an interview at the school. Staying in AZ would be awesome!

Just out of curiosity, what specific laptop is required?

The biggest negative (and really the ONLY one) for me is the fact that I'm forced to sit in the lecture hall for 8 hours a day.

I simply cannot learn by the auditory method, and, let's face it, everybody is going to have to restudy everything covered in lecture anyways.

I'd rather be in the library studying for 5 hours a day than in class for 8 and THEN studying for 5 hours a day.

That's my only negative. I love the faculty, I love the facilities, I love the weather, I love the area, I love the curriculum, etc., etc.

I'm just glad we apparently spend less time in class than some other schools. I have a damnably short attention span, so long intervals of unbroken lecture get tiresome. I don't know what I'd do if IUSD took the same approach as ASDOH, Gavin. I expect you'll probably be a more knowledgeable dentist than I turn out, but as long as I can get the job done well, I'm happy ;) Good luck as you continue through the year!

Bill: it's all about different folks having different learning styles. I'm sure that some of my classmates actually thrive on lecture and really feel great when it's done. I feel like I've wasted 8 hours.

Hey Gavin,

What happened to your journal of Arizona? I miss reading the ins-and-outs of what's going on at the new school. Are things really busy?

Please keep postin'!!!

No problem! I didn't know if anybody cared to read it any further, so I took a little break. I'll try to keep up with some better updates.

We finished our Endocrinology module two weeks ago, and that exam was a KILLER! The class mean was 65%, if that tells you anything. Means on all the previous exams have been in the 80% region.

Just this past week we had our Hematology module, and we'll have our exam on that tomorrow. The module was pretty interesting, and the exam shouldn't be too tough. The only part I'm not looking forward to is the histology portion of the exam. I've never done too well with histology slides!

After the exam tomorrow, we'll start our Cardiopulmonary module.

Let me give you guys an update on where our recent instructors have come from, since I know that interests many of you:

Endocrinology: Dr. Niewoehner (University of Minnesota Medical School)

Hematology: Dr. Rubin (Temple Univeristy School of Medicine)

Cardiopulmonary: Team-taught by Dr. Randall & Dr. Speck (University of Kentucky College of Medicine)

So as you can see, our faculty continue to pour in from great medical schools all over the country. This trend will continue as we progress throughout the year and into next year.

We wrapped up our Cardio module today. It's been a crazy week with LOTS of information, and our exam is on Monday as usual.

The PBL cases this week have really caused us to think and incorporate lots of different systems into our diagnosis. All in all they've been really helpful. Here is a snippet of one of our cases from this week, for those who have been curious:

-------------------------------------------------
Roy Owen a 69 year old male was seen by his oral surgeon preparatory to a previously scheduled third molar extraction._ A medical history taken at a prior visit revealed that the man had a history of malignant hypertension that was first identified and treated at age 50. Prior to treatment his arterial blood pressure was 220/150 mm Hg._ He was currently taking reserpine, chlorothiazide and guanethidine._ His arterial pressure had generally been within acceptable limits since initiation of treatment._

During the course of the current visit the patient confided that he had not been feeling well and, on the way to the appointment, he had experienced sharp pain localized to his chest and the inner aspect of his left arm._ The dentist took the mans blood pressure by auscultation (155/105 mm Hg) and, as an added precaution, she recorded a twelve-lead ECG._ She observed that the heart was beating with a regular sinus rhythm; she did not see any obvious ST-segment elevation or bizarre QRS complexes._ She knew from prior experience that this patient experienced severe anxiety even during simple dental hygiene procedures, and was reluctant to go forward with the extraction._ She rescheduled the procedure for a later date and arranged for the man to be taken to the local emergency room.

The man was seen at the emergency room less than one hour after leaving the oral surgeon?s office._ He weighed 85 kg and denied any remarkable recent change in weight._ His temperature was 37.6 C._ His arterial blood pressure was 145/90 mm Hg with a pulse rate of 85 /min._ Respiratory rate was 21 /min._ Hematocrit was 45%; the white cell count was 7,400 /mm3; platelet count was 260,000 /mm3. Routine blood chemistry values were within normal limits._ The lungs were clear; the liver, spleen and kidneys were not felt._ He showed signs of thrombosis in the veins of the left leg._ The patient showed no neurologic symptoms, dyspnea or swelling of the extremities._ He acknowledged a basically sedentary life style._ He had smoked a pack of cigarettes per day since he was a teenager.
--------------------------------------------------

That was simply the introduction to the case, and we've received several more updates throughout the week. Loads of fun!

wow, i can see that dentistry are really integrated to medicine.

just a question.
is arizona having a tough time to recruit long-term faculty?
how come they have so many guest lecturers?
r they pretty reliable when you have questions later on the course?

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
-------------------------------------------------
Roy Owen a 69 year old male was seen by his oral surgeon preparatory to a previously scheduled third molar extraction._ A medical history taken at a prior visit revealed that the man had a history of malignant hypertension that was first identified and treated at age 50. Prior to treatment his arterial blood pressure was 220/150 mm Hg._ He was currently taking reserpine, chlorothiazide and guanethidine._ His arterial pressure had generally been within acceptable limits since initiation of treatment._

During the course of the current visit the patient confided that he had not been feeling well and, on the way to the appointment, he had experienced sharp pain localized to his chest and the inner aspect of his left arm._ The dentist took the mans blood pressure by auscultation (155/105 mm Hg) and, as an added precaution, she recorded a twelve-lead ECG._ She observed that the heart was beating with a regular sinus rhythm; she did not see any obvious ST-segment elevation or bizarre QRS complexes._ She knew from prior experience that this patient experienced severe anxiety even during simple dental hygiene procedures, and was reluctant to go forward with the extraction._ She rescheduled the procedure for a later date and arranged for the man to be taken to the local emergency room.

The man was seen at the emergency room less than one hour after leaving the oral surgeon?s office._ He weighed 85 kg and denied any remarkable recent change in weight._ His temperature was 37.6 C._ His arterial blood pressure was 145/90 mm Hg with a pulse rate of 85 /min._ Respiratory rate was 21 /min._ Hematocrit was 45%; the white cell count was 7,400 /mm3; platelet count was 260,000 /mm3. Routine blood chemistry values were within normal limits._ The lungs were clear; the liver, spleen and kidneys were not felt._ He showed signs of thrombosis in the veins of the left leg._ The patient showed no neurologic symptoms, dyspnea or swelling of the extremities._ He acknowledged a basically sedentary life style._ He had smoked a pack of cigarettes per day since he was a teenager.
--------------------------------------------------

Isn't PBL a blast, Gavin? :p

Bill, I'm learning to love it better and better each week!

For the case I posted, it turns out that Mr. Owens had a hemorrhage to a vessel that supplied the adrenal gland, so aldosterone production was dysfunctional, which inhibited the renin-angiotensin system, which limited the response to the low arterial blood pressure.

Lots of twists and turns thrown in along the way (bouts with hypertension, low platelet counts, blocked arteries, thrombosis, stents put into place, heparin administered then removed, etc.), but lots of fun had by all.

:)

We started our Dental Pain Control course this week, and it is being taught by the great Stanley Malamed from USC Dental School. All those who are familiar with USC will know how awesome this guy is. More updates later...

Gavin-
How is the patient pool at AZ going to work out? Are they going to start accepting people soon (possibly already), so they are ready to go once your class needs them? Or, are you guys going to have to go out and "recruit" patients?

We already have contracts with several areas for them to supply patients. There will be NO shortage of patients. Remember, our area has 2-3 million people within 30 minutes of us.

Gavin great thread.
Are there people from the east coast in your school? Does your school prepare students for eat coast NBDE?

Good questions.

1) Yes, we have people from all over the country here, although the vast majority are from the West.

2) The NBDE exams (both part one and part two) are national and are not different depending on where you take them. ALL students in US dental schools take the SAME exam. I believe you are referring to the regional board exams (which are licensure exams). We don't cater to any eastern boards, but a student wanting to take them shouldn't have a terrible amount of trouble. More often than not, regional boards are now being accepted by other states, which virtually eliminates this problem in many cases. For example, the Western Board exam would be validated by eastern states (not all, but some).

To sum up the professors we had this past week:

Dr. William Anderson - University of New Mexico College of Medicine

Dr. Stanley Malamed - USC School of Dentistry

Dr. Stephen Bayne - University of North Carolina School of Dentistry

All in all it was a good week.

Tomorrow we have our Immunology exam (the course that was taught by Dr. Anderson), which probably will be fairly difficult. Our last several exams (Endocrinology, Hematology, Cardiopulmonary) have been beasts, with averages hovering at or near the 65-70% range.

The material isn't too difficult, but the exams have been really focused and forced us to know intricate details. These past few exams have also been largely case-based (this has been the professor's choosing), which adds an entirely new dimension to the exam. Often there have been several answer choices that are correct, but only one choice is correct given the context of the patient's treatment course, or presentation.

Also this week, on Wednesday, we'll have our Dental Materials exam. We finished that module two weeks ago, and Dr. Bayne from UNC held a review course for us. Dr. Bayne was a SWEET professor, and those UNC students who have him on a weekly basis are VERY lucky.

Likewise, Dr. Malamed from USC began our Dental Pain Control module, and those students at USC that work with him are also VERY lucky! He's a top-notch professor and THE best in his field. I think 80% of dental schools use one or more of his texts when it comes to teaching pain control methods. We'll have him every Wednesday for the remainder of the year, so that should be fun.

I'll address some other issues in my next post...

I've received several PMs asking me about interviews, and the interview feedback about AZ, located here in the SDN feedback section.

The most commonly asked question: "How can Arizona train it's students on the best and newest equipment, yet expect them to work in volunteer or low-income positions?"

Good question, and I hope I have a good answer. There are really several aspects to this question, I think.

The first deals with how students will do when it comes time to do rotations in the field. Remember, that we do multiple 4-week rotations throughout the United States (and perhaps other countries) during our 4th year.

My impression is that it is much easier to train on the latest technology and then use the old stuff when necessary, than it is to be trained on the old stuff and have to learn newer technologies. Although tech. will always be advancing, one of the goals of the school is to graduate students that are among the highest quality of clinicians. Using the best and brightest equipment helps to facilitate this to a degree. Further, the equipment that we will be using IS portable (including the electric handpieces) and can (and will!) be taken on our rotations.

Secondly, there is NO discrepancy between having a nice office (in private practice or elsewhere) and providing patient care to low-income individuals, or communities with need. The world simply doesn't work like that. Granted, in many situations there is a large lack of funding which limits the quality of instruments that may be used, but our school hopes that the graduates WILL use the best equipment in our clinics AND use that to treat those who are in dire need or oral healthcare.

I'll post this once again: the purpose of the school is NOT to train fabulous dentists and then have them work in poverty-stricken/rural areas for the rest of their careers. There ARE some students in the class who will be doing this, and these students are to be commended for their decisions. These same students feel very compelled to give back to the communities from which they came, and they will be doing so as healthcare providers. I have no doubt that these students will make less than $50,000 for the majority of their careers.

On the flip side, the bulk of our class fully plans to establish private practices, either in groups or individually, and practice dentistry as it is commonly known. Added to that, will be a dimension of community-mindedness. This is not INSTILLED in us by the school, but rather kept alive in us by the school. In other words, all of us had such a mindset PRIOR to coming to the school. There is NOBODY forcing us to use our degrees for the good of humankind, after graduation.

I, personally, am planning on being a spectacular clinician, and working 3-4 days a week. In conjunction with that, I would like to visit South American/Latin American countries twice a year (for 2-3 weeks) and provide basic oral care to them (porque puedo hablar espanol). I may also set aside one or two Saturdays a month and offer free checkups to local school children, or something of that nature. Above all, I plan to be VERY involved in local ADA chapters, as well as being involved in local politics (especially in the aspect of healthcare).

I have no qualms with making over $150,000 a year, and I know that such an earning WILL come if I practice sound and caring dentistry.

LOTS of my classmates feel the same way. So you see, it isn't the school that is making us community-minded, it is the school that is reminding us to give back when we are finally awarded the position to do so.

That means many things to different people: not overbilling, not forcing uneccesary procedures on patients, doing solid work, being efficient, being involved in community (either in or out of dentistry), and being examples to those around us. The school does not expect ALL of its graduates to dedicate their entire professional careers to areas of need, but it does expect ALL of its graduates to be outstanding professonals.

Awesome Post Gavin!

I can't wait to join ya' down in sunny Arizona! Maybe after graduation we can join forces to create some dazzling smiles in South America. Chile is an awesome place!

Hey Gavin.....nice post! Actually, your plan coincides directly with what I wanna do as well, like EXACTLY.....do many people have these career aspirations like us in Arizona or other dental schools? If I dont get into a school that offers a MPH, I might do post-doc work in dental public health. I know BU has this program.

Im hoping to do the National Health Service Corps for a few years to pay off my loans after I graduate and get better exposure to public dentistry, and then go ahead with the private practice with annual volunteer work abroad.

I got a lot of respect for what Arizona stands for and I definitely showed this through my secondary application.....I just hope Arizona shows me some love!

We officially finished our Dental Materials course yesterday when we took our DM exam. The scores were somewhat on the low side, but I think that might have partially been expected.

DM is an important subject, but a lot of it (for me anyway) is difficult to learn because I've had no previous exposure to it.

Yesterday we also had our second lecture from Dr. Malamed of USC -- it was exceptional and thus far I'm really enjoying our Dental Pain module.

We get out on Friday for Thanksgiving break, and have a half day today and a half day tomorrow, so I think everybody is more than ready to get away from school for a little bit.

Thanks to everybody for their PMs and emails.

Our dean just informed us that our clinic doors will be open on April 5, 2005 (midway through our 4th semester).

I'll obviously be posting more on this as we receive information (everybody is very excited about this).

Also, some of my posts regarding amalgam have been a bit incorrect. We WILL be learning how to do amalgam and how to do them well, but the focus will NOT be on amalgam, but rather on composite-type materials. These previous comments are completely my mistake, and I felt I should post this since I know many people have been extremely interersted in our curriculum and the new mindset that is present at our school.

Probably no more posts from me here until sometime during Thanksgiving break.

Everybody have an excellent break and be safe!

And as always, these posts are 100% MY opinion, not the opinion of my fellow classmates or faculty, nor does ASDOH endorse (or condone?) my posts and their content. Just a little disclaimer lest anyone feel ASDOH put me up to this. They didn't. You'll notice my screenname contains my real name. That's because I'm not here to hide, but rather to help others in any way I can.

I helped out with interviews on Monday, and sat in on three of them.

Once again, I'm overwhelmed with the caliber of candidates, and this impression does not fully rest on their DAT scores or GPAs. These candidates are truly a marvelous bunch of individuals, each with their unique outlooks on life and contributions to make to the profession.

I'm sure the same can be said for the entire applicant pool across the nation.

In your experience which candidates do you see making the cut? What are the qualities that make them standout?

UB Tom --

I had a question about the platform for running the DVD software. I've applied to UB and I e-mailed one of the students that spoke with us during the interview day. He told me that incoming students are required to purchase a Mac laptop to run the program. I think this is a bit redundant, as I already have a Gateway laptop and you mentioned that the program runs better on a non-Mac computer anyway (sorry. . .don't know the exact word. . .). So IS it necessary that next year I buy a new laptop (if I end up at UB)? Thanks!

Hi WS2004,

Yes, if you already have your own laptop, if you come to UB you can tell the Office of Student Affairs that you don't want to buy a new one.

Many of my classmates have gotten rid of their Powerbook G3s and bought their own laptops.. As long as your Gateway laptop is capable of running Win2K or WinXP and has a DVD drive(these are what's required for the Vitalbook) and it can get on the school's wireless network (802.11b standard wireless), you are OK.

Vitalbook stuff looks like it's getting more and more prevalent... Gavin's school uses it too, as does about 11 others the last time I counted.. Still, I think some textbooks are still better on paper, like those for Gross Anatomy.

HTH!

WS2004, what Tom said is partly true. Some students in our class (2004) have sold their G3 Macs and bought other laptops. However, I don't think any students in the other classes have done this. And I really don't think the school is going to let you get by with whatever laptop you have right now. I say this b/c the current mindset of the administration is that you have to have a laptop that can handle the programs and things the school feels you need for your education. Your laptop can probably handle the silly programs they are worried about, but I don't think they'll believe you even if you show proof. And they make you buy a 4 year warranty plan so if your computer falls apart during school, you can bring it into school and get a loaner while yours is out getting fixed. With your own laptop, you can't do that and the administration doesn't want to deal with a million different laptop brands out there. That's why they only offer two types of laptops b/c then there are only two kinds they have to fix if someone's laptop breaks.

I know, it sounds silly, but here's an example of their thinking. The administration makes everyone buy one of the school suggested printers, even if you bring in proof (like walk into the office with your printer) that you already have a printer. They won't hear you out, you have to buy one. It is considered part of the essential school supplies package. So if they put up such a big stink about owning a silly printer, I don't think they're gonna let you get away with just your own laptop.

I would be prepared to buy another laptop. It sucks, but I had a fantastic laptop I bought at the end of college that I had finally figured out how to use and when dental school started, and then I had to push it aside and start all over with my G3 mac. Now my G3 is a dinosaur, and my little brother got my first laptop b/c I didnt' need 2 laptops.

Back to the grindstone this week after a nice 2-week break.

We took our Metabolism (Biochemistry) exam on Monday, and then began our Gastro/Digestive module.

So far that module has been fairly interesting, and the instructor has been good as well.

Today, Wednesday, we're having yet another lecture in our Pain Control module by Dr. Stanley Malamed from USC. Following today, we have two more lectures from him and then our Pain Control exam when we return from our holiday break.