My Arizona Experience (DS-1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
p.s...anyone from temple coming to teach at your school?...if they do, i'll try to give you the low down on them...:D

Members don't see this ad.

We'll learn endo, peds, and perio in combination through our other modules. Because we are systems based we'll learn in via that route, rather then spending specific allotted time on it. Much of it will be covered in our "Clinical Dentistry" modules.

I'm not sure if anybody from Temple is coming down, although I suspect we'll have somebody from there. I'll check and let you know!

It's always good to have the lowdown!

Today was our health disciplines exam. Our exams always start at 9am, so that gives us an extra hour to sleep in or an extra hour to study, depending on your emotional state :)

I put ALOT of time into studying for the exam, and I think it was extremely simple. Our professor told us to study some questions that were associated with the chapters, and 90% of the questions were pulled from those study questions. My preliminary guess is that I got a 90% on the exam. We'll find out our actual scores on Wednesday after the faculty make any necessary changes to the scores by dropping questions that either a) everybody/majority missed or b)were confusing or written with poor grammar so as to make them confusing.

We had two hours to take the exam, and I was finished at about 9:30. Class didn't start again until 1pm, so I headed home and had some good quality time with the wife and son!

At 1pm we started our next module, Genetics. The instructor is Dr. Tom Hart who is a DDS, but teaches the medical genetics class at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School, and also at the Dental School.

Today was mostly a review of material I already knew, so I'm going to kick back and not study at all tonight. We'll see if that bites me in the rear when we take the exam next Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsgavinC,
thanks for all the info. It seems like your first year is a massive cram session. Is this what you perceive most dental schools are like in the first year since it seems to be all classwork?

I won't presume to speak for Gavin, but I think his curriculum, being on the bleeding edge, is perhaps a bit more strenuous than most. I know mine, at least, doesn't hold a candle to his in terms of difficulty. My fall semester is 40 hours, but I'm getting by just fine with about 90 minutes of extracurricular study time per day, and sometimes that can be fit into gaps that appear during the day, leaving my evenings free. I'm actually heading over to a friend's for dinner tonight, soon as I change out of my scrubs--and I have an exam tomorrow morning. Just stay on top of the material as it's presented, and suddenly the tests and quizzes aren't anything to get terribly worked up over.

Gavin - I'm curious... Since you graduated with an English major, I think it's fair to assume you had to do vast amounts of reading. I know in both degrees I have including my Spanish and Business degree I also had a tremendous amount of reading. I've been keeping up with your posts and it sounds like most of what you are doing now days involves reading and more reading. Since AZ uses the laptops and your books are in the form of DVD, I'm curious to see how you like this new approach of reading from the computer instead of reading from a book. I know that if you want to, you can check out books from your library, but I'm wondering if you are having any issues and/or difficulties reading from a laptop computer screen as opposed to having the feel of a real book. Thanks!

Great questions guys! Hopefully I can address all the issues...

First, to clarify, we don't have any books on DVD. The other dental schools who use VitalSource technologies utilize DVDs for their curriculum, but we have a special type of Vital curriculum. All the books are actually on our computers. Minor distinction, but I appreciate not having to pop in a DVD each time I want to browse my books.

I have had some trouble reading from the screen. I've found that I feel better if I print some things out. For example, certain portions of certain chapters that I need work on. I'll often print these out. I usually set the printer to print 4 pages per page of paper, and make it double side. That way I can get 8 book pages on one printed page. I have poor eyesight, but the font isn't so small that I have to squint.

Overall I haven't had any serious trouble reading from the screens. The first few days felt awkward, but I'm really used to it now. Many of my classmates do the same things I do. And of course, there are always a few that print out the entire reading selection.

I don't think that the first year is a massive cram session. For some reason, I'm learning concepts better now than I ever did in undergrad. More of the stuff is sticking, and sticking well. Perhaps it is because I can sense that sooner than later I'll be a clinician. Learning this stuff is important to me.

Yesterday our entire class went to the annual National Primary Oral Health Care Conference, in Sedona, AZ. It was a great experience for many reasons!

First and foremost, it was tons of fun to chill with my classmates on the bus rides up and back. We were all crammed into a coach tour bus, and it was a great bonding experience.

Secondly, the conference itself was fairly interesting. There was lots of free stuff like there always is, and there was a reception in the evening in our honor.

Thirdly, our dean, Dr. Jack Dillenburg gave one of the keynote addresses. His subject material was the education of dental students, and the bulk of his material focused on our school and how it relates to dental education as the whole. In his lecture he elaborated upon several points of importance, cleared up many misconceptions, and revealed to the audience (and us!) portions of the curriculum that we hadn't heard about yet. Here are the highlights:

? The Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) loved our dental school. It took 28 months from start to finish to get ASDOH up and running. Most dental schools get about 30 recommendations from CODA regarding things they need to improve and work on. Nova, a wonderful school and one of the new schools, received 23 recommendations when they had their accreditation process. Arizona received three total recommendations.

? Our fourth year will be comprised of us spending time on campus in the clinics as well as rotating off-site. Our rotations will be four-weeks long apiece. We'll spend 6 weeks on campus, 4 weeks off, 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off, etc., etc.

? Some of the rotation sites are just being finalized. We'll spend time in many western states, including Montana, Utah, and Oregon.

? More than 5 students with 4.0 GPAs and DATs higher than 23 were denied last year without interviews. The dean's point with this data was to emphasize that a school full of nerds is no fun!

? There were 1,300 applications last year. Of those 280 were given interviews.

? As of today there are 600 applications already received by the committee for this cycle. They are expecting 3,000 applications this year! Based on that, Arizona will be one of the top 5 most applied to schools this year.

? Our class will be ready to take the NBDE after our first year, but we will be officially taking it during December of next year (after 1.5 semesters) in an effort to participate in the computerized format.

? Once the clinics are complete all dental students (DS1-DS4) will be in the clinics starting with their first day of class. DS1s will act as assistants to upperclassmen, and will also manage patient records, etc.

? All record keeping in our clinics/labs is paperless.

? All radiography in our clinics/labs is digital.

? Part of our 4th year curriculum also includes specialty externships/internships in the areas of OMS and Peds. These will be 4-6 weeks long and all students will particpate in them. They will happen on-site and at clinics and hospitals throughout the nation.

? We are the only dental school in the US to be exclusively using electric handpieces. We'll be using the Kavo KL 700 in our sim-lab and in and out of our clinics. Our handpieces come with a power convertor which allows them to be easily used in clinics which do not currently operate with electric handpieces.

I think that about covers the presentation. Like I said, it was informative not only for the dental community as a whole but also for the students. We are all very excited about more of our 4th year curriculum being revealved, and we're all stoked that so many applicants (600!) have applied to the school already.

Last Monday we took our exam for our Introduction to Health Disciplines. Today we got our scores back and I got a 100/100! My hard work that week paid off. So far, here are my modules scores this semester:

History of Dentistry: 100/100
Public Health & Epidemiology: 268/286
Intro. to Health Discplines: 100/100
Dental/Medical Genetics: exam on Mon.!

I hope everybody has a great evening!

One other question. I do appreciate you sharing your scores with us. You are doing awesome!!! But how about the rest? Are they coping as well as you have? You seem to be extremely dedicated to succeeding and you're having to work VERY hard and put some very long hours. I'm just wondering how the rest are doing in comparison to you.

I don't know whether the other students share their grades, or whether the professors are giving a "break down" of the class grades, but I'm curious (again) as to how the rest of the clan is doing. I know it's probably early to tell, but would like to hear your feedback on that. Thanks!!

BTW, the dean shared some pretty exciting stuff in the conference and I'm sure it didn't hurt to have such exquisite views of the red rocks and get out of town for a while.

The majority of the class is doing well, I believe. They are trying to ramp us up for the more difficult subject matter which is coming next week and each week thereafter.

Some people have gotten 70s and I'm sure there have been lots of 80s.

All in all I think the common realization is that the study methods used in undergrad probably aren't going to get one very far in terms of learning the necessary material or getting decent grades.

We got a bit more information on the rotations that we'll be doing in our fourth-year.

The faculty is leaving a lot of it up to us as far as where we serve. We're being asked to contact places that we might like to rotate at, and let them know our situation.

Places where we can choose to rotate at are limitless! For example: externships at other dental schools, externships at specialty programs, VA hosptitals, community dental clinics, Indian Health Service clinics, hospitals, and private practices!

For example, I could contact a hospital in Utah (where I'm from) and arrange a rotation there, or I could contact a dentist in private practice (perhaps one I shadowed prior to school) and arrange to rotate there for four weeks!

Alternatively, the rotations could be chosen at random for me if I don't have any particular fancy for where I'd like to rotate, or the cases I'd like to see (OMS, Pedo, Endo, etc.).

I'm thinking I'll do some of both. I'd like to set up a few rotations back in Utah, and I'd also like to go to some rotations on the east coast. Also, there may be a rotation in London, England, which would be cool!

Just wanted to update everybody on this.

Hey Gavin - that sounds exciting! Currently I volunteer at the St. Vincent De Paul free dental clinic in Phoenix where I work mainly with children. There are several dentists who come to the clinic and volunteer their time either once a week, once a month or whatever they can contribute. If anyone in your class expresses concern as to where they can go to volunteer you may want to mention this clinic since they can get exposure to working with children as well everyone there is very nice and willing to teach and train.

Members don't see this ad :)
to Gavin:

I think that is a very good thing your school is doing. Lots of schools tend to send their students on rotation to area hospitals only, most of which are staffed with a high percentage of that dental school's own graduates. Consequently the experience is rather... inbred, for lack of a better word. The opportunity to see how things are done at other farther-away institutions is indeed a great step forward.

If anyone at your school is interested in OMFS, might I suggest they take a look at the New York City hospitals. It's always busy here, lots of patients, lots of cases, both clinical and OR. I think most of you are sick and tired of me plugging my experience at Bellevue Hospital so I'm not going to say anything more about that. :D (zips lip)

Tom, that is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for!

I'm adding that to the list of places to rotate. Do you have the name of any contact for me at Bellevue?

Thanks,
G

Sure do. OK, I'll unzip my lip just this time LOL.

The director of the OMFS program at Bellevue Hospital is Dr. Vasiliki Karlis, DMD MD. She's the one I worked out the details of my externship with.

Your school's administrators would probably want to get in touch with the chairman of the Oral Surgery department at NYU too, Dr. Robert Glickman, DMD (he also chairs OMFS at Bellevue), and see if an affiliation agreement can be arranged so that you will have the malpractice insurance coverage to perform procedures as an extern. An ironclad agreement is always a good idea!

Both Dr. Karlis and Dr. Glickman are very personable and approachable while I was there. Very hands-on with the residents, dental students and externs. I really lucked out with Bellevue-- despite not having a formal affiliation agreement with my school, they really made me feel welcome.

Webpage for contact info on the Bellevue/NYU OMFS program: http://www.nyu.edu/dental/bulletin/aepmaxillofacial.html

One word of warning: Dr. Karlis will make you participate in all the sessions the Oral Surgery residents do. That means ALL the seminars, case presentations, patient rounds and grand rounds with them in addition to working in the clinic or scrubbing into the OR to assist, with pretty long days that start at 6:30AM and ends after 5PM. Everyday. ;) Oh... And your Spanish fluency will come in VERY handy.

Other NYC hospitals where my classmates had GOOD experiences at: St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital GPR program, Long Island Jewish Medical Center Peds program, Mount Sinai GPR and OMFS.

Wow-- excellent. I'm passing all that info on to my faculty members.

The faculty are looking to develop 13-15 "core" rotations, or rotations that they can place students in every month on a yearly basis.

The other rotations will be left up to the students to determine, if they wish to do so.

I think those NY rotations would be excellent for those wishing to focus on OMS or gain exposure to OMS/hospital dentistry.

Thanks!

Today was a crazy/hectic day.

It's Monday, so we were planning on taking our Genetics exam today, but there was a virus being passed around our school network that didn't allow for internet access, so the test is postponed until tomorrow morning.

That meant that we started our next module, Microbiology today, even though we all still have Genetics on the brain.

Our Micro teacher is a WAY cool guy from the Pittsburgh School of Medicine. His name is Timothy Mietzger, and he was a great instructor today.

It's difficult to focus on the materials he gave us today because we are all going to be studying tonight for the Genetics test, but I'll have to fit some time in tonight for Micro as well. The workload for this module will be the most we've had thus far, so any slacking off will really come back to bite me in the butt.

We took our Genetics exam today. It wasn't extremely difficult, but it was hard enough. Out of 100 questions there were 4 or 5 that I knew NOTHING (no exaggeration!) about.

I think I got an 85-90, we'll find out Thursday.

We continued our Microbiology module today, and we really got our butts handed to us on a platter.

The volume for this mod exceeds every other module greatly, and this week will truly sift out the men from the boys, so to speak.

It's funny, our Intro to Health Disc. module had TONS of information, and I didn't think anything could top it. Then came Genetics, which added a little bit more as far as workload. Now, with Micro, we already exceeded in two days the amount of material we learned in one week for Genetics.

I'm a little bit panicky about learning this much stuff, but I think I can pull it out. I suppose the rigors of school are becoming normal now, which is a good thing.

Gotta go, 9 chapters of Micro are calling me.

Hang in there Gavin.

We're all pullin for ya.

Thanks Critter.

I only scored an 85 on my Genetics exam, but my module grade should be an A-, so I guess it will do.

Micro is kicking me all up and down the street. Class got out at 2 today, and I studied until 7.

A brief dinner and I'm back to the studying.

Well, the Micro exam is tomorrow. I've learned so much crap this week that I cannot believe I've tucked it all in. Not that the info. IS crap, because I think it's cool and important, just that there is so much of it.

We've learned Micro at an exhaustive rate, and we haven't just skimmed the surface either. What we've learned this week would be a one semester course at a difficult undergrad school. At a lackluster school it would probably be broken down into a 2-semester course.

Our instructor, Dr. Mietzner, gave us the same slides and lecture that he gives to his Pitt medical students. The one exception, of course, is that it is a 3-week class at Pitt, and we did it in one week.

He said he doesn't doubt that the majority of dental school curriculums are more difficult than their medical school counterparts, but that Arizona leaves no question in his mind. All our professors seem to be coming from medical schools (like he did) and teaching us their same lectures in a weeks time. For him there was no doubt that our scenario is 2-3x more difficult than medical school.

So, the exam is tomorrow and I've just finished memorizing 20 antibiotics, their classes, and their sites of action. For example (and excuse my spelling or lack thereof. I'm just grateful I can generally say the right things), penicillins, cephalosporins, vancomycin, and bacitracin all are inhibitors of bacterial cell wall synthesis. All are cidal agents, but P&C inhibit transpeptidation, while V inhibits incorporation of disaccharide into growing peptidoglycan, etc., etc.

I've memorized 12 DNA/RNA viruses, their nucleic acid structures, their envelope status, and the viruses associated with them. For example, picornavirus is linear, single-stranded RNA with a [+] polarity, non-enveloped, and associated with poliovirus and hep A.

On and on it goes. I've had to memorize tables of information, including 18 medically important pathogens, such as Neisseria meningitidis, Haemophilus influenza, Shigella sp., C. perfringens, Rickettsia sp, etc. I memorized all their gram reactions, morphology and other traits, as well as the diseases associated with them.

I've learned about bacterial structures, fungal structures, parasites, antimicrobial therapies, resistance to antimicrobials, pathogens acquired by inhalation, pathogens acquired by ingestion, STDs, zoonotic infections, colonization/attachment, and molecular mimicry.

I've learned that antimicrobial cell wall inhibitors can be modified through beta-lactam hydrolysis, and protein synthesis inhibitors can be modified through Chloramphenicol transacetylase.

Our test has 75 questions and we have to get a 70% to pass. That means I can miss ~22 questions and still pass. I've worked my tail off this week.

I'm not ready at all.

Today was the beginning of our Musculoskeletal module, which we started this afternoon because we took our Microbiology exam this morning.

The Musculo module is being taught by Dr. Kurt Gilliland, who is a professor at the University of North Carolina Medical School.

Many people have asked me when we do anatomy in our curriculum, so here's the answer: we do it every module that it is pertinent for.

In EVERY module we study normal function and normal structure, along with abnormal function and abnormal structure.

This week is the first module where we've dealt solely with a human system, so we're spending quite a bit of time this week in the gross anatomy lab.

Lots of info to cover this week, but it looks like fun. I'll keep you all posted.

Wow! Hectic pace. How do you manage to successfully cram that much in such a short period of time? How long are the classes?
How much do you study a day on average?

Lecture is from 8-5 each day, with a few notable exceptions. Monday we take our exam beginning at 9 or 10, and then we start lecture at 1pm. Wednesdays we have Radiology from 1-5. Thursday mornings we work with our PBL case groups. Friday afternoons we have Grand Rounds.

I typically study 3-6 hours a day. It just depends on my mood (and my wife and son's moods!).

Sounds like being on a fulltime job except they don't pay you to learn:oops: I'm rooting for you.:clap:

Full-time job? More like mission impossible! Keep up the good work! If you can get through it, that will show all of us that its possible with hard work!

Keep it up!

Our Microbiology module scores came back. The high was a 94. I did TERRIBLE. So poorly in fact that I'm not going to post my score.

But that is water under the bridge now. I passed, so I don't have to remediate.

We're in the middle of our of our 2-week modules right now--Musculoskeletal. We've been in the anatomy lab every day, and there is TONS of information to memorize.

The way our curriculum is structured means that we'll be doing gross anatomy nearly every week as we cover the major systems. Still, we're covering all muscles and bones this week, so there is plenty to learn.

We have an exam on Tuesday, a lab practical on Friday, and a second exam on the following Monday testing for the material we learned on during the second week.

Great news!! Thanks to a little prodding from myself, we were told today that we'll have the opportunity to take the NBDE I next July!

The other class members who choose NOT to take it in July will take it in December.

This means that NOBODY will be taking it after their 2nd year!

Thanks for your postings. I live in Arizona and will be applying to schools next summer and was debating on whether I will even apply here.

There has been some unfavorable publicity about the school leading up to the opening in some local papers that made me wonder. It was mainly about how their startup costs were far below other new dental schools. There were quotes from local leaders in the dental community that were very sceptical about it. I guess time will tell.

However, after reading feedback from interview experiences and your postings I am definately going to apply and it is becoming one of my top picks. Thanks again.

Originally posted by mchitsquad
There has been some unfavorable publicity about the school leading up to the opening in some local papers that made me wonder. It was mainly about how their startup costs were far below other new dental schools. There were quotes from local leaders in the dental community that were very sceptical about it. I guess time will tell.

Well, it isn't exactly like starting a whole new school!

We share the building with other programs, so our facility costs are lower. We only have 16 full-time faculty, so administrative costs are lower. We only have 54 students, so those costs are lower as well.

And, much of our equipment was donated or given to us at ~70% discount from KaVo and other companies.

Dental people are always skeptical about new things. Some of them were even shocked we were using electric drills.

Our curriculum closely follows that used by medical schools for a long time now (systems based approach, PBL, and rotations), so I'm sure it will be successful.

Yeah, after reading those articles I have asked around to hear the other side of the story and found much of that out but it's good to hear it from people actually experiencing it like yourself. And also I've been told that the clinical costs are lower becuase a lot of the clinical work is performed actually in the field rather than an onsite clinic.

Good point about the clincis.

We do rotations throughout the country for our fourth year: hospitals, externships, internships, private practice, government clincis, community clincis, IHS clincis, etc, etc.

For those intersted in applying to the AZ school.

I took a tour of the Az school last month and was quite impressed. The sim lab facilities were second to none as were the lecture halls and anatomy lab.

While there I was inclined to ask about the DS1 students academic profiles and they are:

AVG cum GPA 3.3
AVG science GPA 3.2
AVG DAT 17

I was impressed to see that the school was so competitive in its inaugural year.

I was also told that any applicant not indicating any community service on his or her application would not be granted an interview regardless of their qualifications.

Hey Gavin,

How are you liking the 110 degree weather? Arizona was #1 on my list until about July and now its third. I'm sure it will change back to #1 in the winter when everyone else is freezing and we are enjoying the 70 degree weather. Lesson - unless you like 7 months of triple digit weather don't apply to Arizona, it is horrible! I enjoy reading your posts, keep up the hard work!

Originally posted by NicolasPorter
Hey Gavin,

How are you liking the 110 degree weather? Arizona was #1 on my list until about July and now its third. I'm sure it will change back to #1 in the winter when everyone else is freezing and we are enjoying the 70 degree weather. Lesson - unless you like 7 months of triple digit weather don't apply to Arizona, it is horrible! I enjoy reading your posts, keep up the hard work!

In all honesty the heat hasn't bothered me at all. And that isnt' just because we are in a nice air-conditioned place all of the time. I moved down here a month before school, so I had plenty of time to hang out in the heat. I wouldn't spend an hour outside at noon, but spending 5-10 minutes outside wasn't too bad.

I've found the constantly sunny days to be a great booster when an exam is looming or the workload seems unbearable. It hasn't bothered me at all.

All I knew was that I didn't want to have to deal with snow of any kind when it came to getting to class in the mornings.

Here's the word:

The clinic was going to be built on the 3rd floor of our current building, but it is now going to be built in its own large and spacious building which will be just across the way from our current building.

That means the clinics will be bigger and nicer than previously planned.

Also, I believe it will be one of the few (if not the only?) dental schools to have the clinic housed in a completely seperate building from the dental school.

Great news, we are all very excited about it.

And also, we received our instruments today, played around in the sim-lab, and enjoyed ourselves as Fox 10 (the local Fox station) broadcast the weather from our sim-lab all morning long.

Gavin,

Great news about the new building. Also, my mom and dad are in mesa visiting and called and told me all about the Fox News broadcast. My mom said, "what a bunch of great looking, clean cut young people." (In a british accent) Props to your class.

Thank-you sir. Thank you very much.

BTW, I wasn't in the sim-lab during the news broadcast -- I decided to make use of my time and was studying in the classroom along with 3 or 4 other people.

Before I moved to Arizona, I too was afraid of the heat. It looks scary watching the news and seeing 110 on the map. But the truth is that it is extremely overrated. The dry nature of Arizona's weather means you have to discount the number by 10 to get a realistic idea of what our weather feels like. 98 degrees in Phoenix does not feel like 98 degrees in Florida, Georgia or Texas.

June through September is hot. October through May is amazing. And the type of heat is a dry heat which means you don't feel sticky like you do in Texas, Florida and other parts of the country. It's not comfortable but it is certainly bearable. And it is a worth the price of 8 months of perfect weather

Yes it's hot here, but what is the alternative? Would you prefer mild summers yet harsh winters? Our summers are more comfortable than your winters. At least during our summers,

1.) we don't scrape our windshield in the moring
2.) we don't drive on ice or snow.
3.) We don't shovel the driveway
4.) It takes 1 minute for our AC to work. It takes 10 minutes for your heat to come on.
5.) We can still lay out by the pool, go to the lakes or drive. During your winter storms, you are prevented from leaving your house at times
6.) Our weather improves at night and in the morning. Your weather gets worse at night and in the morning.
7.) We never have to worry about running out of hot water.
8.) Getting ready in the morning takes less time since you don't have to put on layers of clothing.
9.) We don't worry about cold winds blowing in our face.
10.)If you have infants and young children, it's much easier dealing with them in warm weather as opposed to cold weather.

It's funny because people rarely stop to think about the situation. They see 110 and freak out. They don't stop to consider that it's 70 degrees in January and February when it's 25 degrees in other parts of the country. They don't realize that cold weather actually interferes with your lifestyle while hot weather is merely a nuisance.

Good post. I was going to add that the 110 I feel here feels about as hot as 95 in Salt Lake City.

I've lived in Biloxi, Mississippi for several years, and the 100 there feels like the 120 here.

The heat really isn't that bad, especially when you are busy studying :D

Hi Gavin,
I think you visited both schools. Can you give me an honest
comparison between UOP and Arizona?

I didn't apply to UOP, but I've visited it many times and hung out there many times. I have family members who are alumni and strong contributors to their program.

I'll post something in regards to this when I have some time...

Thanks Gavin....I will be looking forward to your reply.

We finished one of our two-week modules yesterday (Musculoskeletal). Here is how the exams have broken down from it:

This past Monday we had a didactic exam that covered first week material. Yesterday we had an anatomy lab practical, and this coming Monday we have a didactic exam that covers the material from the second week.

This past week we also finished our Radiology module (we had one lecture per week since school started), so the exam on that is on Wednesday.

Also this week, we start our Dermatology module, which should be much more laid back that our Musculoskeletal stuff. I think we are all looking forward to it.

On a lighter note, our ASDOH co-ed softball team had its first game last night. We got wallopped by about 10 runs, but it was still a very nice change of pace to get out and do something different. Afterwards ~25 of us went to a local restaraunt and hung out until midnightish.

It's a busy week, so today I'll spend my time memorizing insertions, innervations, and actions of certain muscle groups. The second week material also covered general head & neck, so I'll be studying that as well. Then, after the exam on Monday, it'll be time to study for the Radiology test.

More later...

Finished up our Musculoskeletal module today with a test on the lower limb and head/neck. It also included reading radiographs. Nothing too hard, I'm expecting to get a 90% at least.

We had the day off after finished our exams, so I was done with school by 9:30.

Tomorrow we start our Derm module, and on Wednesday we have a test on our Radiology module (which has been ongoing since school started).

I'm looking forward to Derm.

Here is a photo of the inside of our sim-lab. I believe the photo was taken by Dr. Richard Simonsen, one of our deans, so I'll give him the credit.

Attachments

• teeth.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 301