My Arizona Experience (DS-1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JRogoff said:
That should get you in no problem with a decent GPA. I got in with a 19/19.

My overall GPA is 3.30 and 3.27 scientific. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Members don't see this ad.

DDS2BE said:
My overall GPA is 3.30 and 3.27 scientific. Thanks in advance for your advise.

You should get an interview, from there its up to you.

Good marks and DAT scores are important, but at our school they aren't everything. When I say this (and when the school officials say this) they are telling the truth.

I've seen some really shoddy grades get admitted and some people with great grades not even get interviews. They do have an emphasis on the other activities and service you are involved in.

Members don't see this ad :)
On Monday, all those in the class who wish to participate are taking the NBDE I pilot exam. The pilot exam contains 80% regular questions and 20% case-based questions. The ADA is using this pilot test to gauge their methods as they rewrite the NBDE I exam. The ENTIRE exam should be case-based by next summer or fall.

In my opinion that makes the exam a lot tougher, but I guess I should reserve my opinion on that until I actually take the exam on Monday.

All I know is that USMLE is case-based and it is much harder. Of course, the USMLE has a much broader and deeper scope than the NBDE, but my thinking is that the new case-based format will give the ADA the excuse (opportunity?) to make the NBDE a bit more difficult.

The test is a full-length test on Monday, so we start at 8:30 and then wrap up at 5, just like an actual exam. The greatest benefit of taking this pilot is that we'll have the chance to see some recent NBDE questions, and we'll also get to score our exams to see how we did. Granted the 20% case-based questions will throw the scores a bit, but it will still be a good scale of where my weakness lies.

I'm treating it as a type of 2004-released NBDE I, since the most recent actually released exam was 1998--six years ago!

Congrats on becomming a moderator Gavin. Just don't go abusing your power now!

Why did this thread go from 5 stars to now only 3 stars just this past week? Who's bashing this thread huh? Who?

I just voted/give this thread a 5 Stars and it jumped from 3 stars back up to 4 stars! :thumbup:

ItsGavinC said:
I don't have any power.

LOL

I have found it very informative since I joined SDN, but I think it should go in the dental forum instead of the pre-dental forum. Just my 2 cents.

ItsGavinC said:
On Monday, all those in the class who wish to participate are taking the NBDE I pilot exam. The pilot exam contains 80% regular questions and 20% case-based questions. The ADA is using this pilot test to gauge their methods as they rewrite the NBDE I exam. The ENTIRE exam should be case-based by next summer or fall.

I've completed the NBDE I Pilot exam, and posted my thoughts and feelings on this thread in the Dental forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1543986#post1543986

Good luck to you Gavin...Thanks for the info btw :thumbup:

The wife and kids spent all last night puking (24-hour flu bug, methinks) so I didn't get to bed until around 3:30.

I studied for 4 hours today, mostly pathology stuff, but I probably won't put in much more time today due to other things I have to take care of.

I've gone back and put a ton of time into the Dental Anatomy section. By doing that I've gone from missing ~25 questions to only missing 8 or 9 questions in that section. I still need work, but hopefully I'll be more in shape come test day.

Now I'm focusing on Micro/Path once again. I'm pretty strong in this area, especially pathology, so it doesn't worry me much. I've done the Decks in Micro/Path probably 7+ times at this point, so I'm reviewing them one final time this week. Also today I'm starting to study First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. I'm using that for the Micro/Path section right now, but I'll use it also for Biochem/Physiology before test day.

It has loads of mnemonics and is a solid study review book, even for the NBDE I.

Well, the time until Part I is really getting down to the wire. Today the wife and kids flew up to Utah, where they'll be until July 17th.

That means I'm alone until the exam with no excuses to not study.

I studied for 7 hours today and hit anatomy really hard. That's what I'm focusing on for the next 3 days because I feel that it is my weakest subject and right now deserves the most time.

Already today I've learned tons of stuff, and as I look back through released exams that I've taken I've seen multiple questions on each exam (5-7) that I know and understand as a result of my studies today.

Members don't see this ad :)
what was the avg GPA and DAT score for matriuclating students for this year?
do you know.

HD

hockeydentist said:
what was the avg GPA and DAT score for matriuclating students for this year?
do you know.

HD

Yep...

Class of 2008 statistics:

Application received: 1969
Applicants interviewed: 353
Class size: 54
Average age: 25.6
Average GPA: 3.44
Average DAT: 18

I don't get this. How come NYU has the same DAT scores as other schools but much lower GPA?

3.44 for a new school is pretty damn good and I think for my class it was 3.2 with a 18 DAT

Well, I've finished my personal board studies today.

Tomorrow I'll get together with a couple of friends and shoot questions back and forth, then on Sunday I'm not thinking about any of it

Monday is the big day! :clap:

Good luck G

What score are you aiming for anyway?

I'm aiming for a 92. Realistically I figure I can pull that. I'm aiming for a high score in Biochem/Phys, a low score in Anatomy, and then two mid-range scores in Micro/Path and DA.

If the test is rather easy, I can see myself getting a 96. If it is rather difficult, I can see myself getting an 86. The difference between those two scores could be only 10-12 questions.

We'll see what happens! Regardless, I'm ready to do that bad girl. :cool:

Shoot G! A 92! That is some high expectations there, my man! My goal was a 90 and I knew my sh1t then! As a old SND friend, I hope you get what you aim for, but in reality, a 90 will be a job well done!

Every point you get above me (90), I'll give you a FREE set of extraction procedure to your family and/or friends (if and when I become an OMFS)! :thumbup:

You can do it!

good luck big G

hd

Just wanted to wish you good luck tomorrow, all us SDN faithful are pulling for you!

Well, all done with the exam. It wasn't too difficult. Like we know, the exam isn't structured to fail people. If you have a pulse and have attended dental school then you'll do fine. For most people it really isn't a question of passing, but moreso a question of how well they'll do. I feel the same way.

And so with this post the thread comes to a formal end. Hopefully it has been of some value to some people. Thanks for putting up with me.

2nd year starts August 2, and our first year class comes in the week before that. Construction on our clinic building is underway, and we get our board scores sometime in the beginning of September most likely.

Lots of exciting stuff happening--thanks for enjoying the ride with me!

Thanks for sharing. This thread has been interesting to read through the year.

good work and congrats on completing your board..

No, I haven't received Board scores yet, but I wanted to make an additional post here for those who are interested in our second-year curriculum.

Thus far we've been back in school for 2 weeks. In that time we have had approx. 6 hours of lecture and approx. 70 hours of simlab time. Essentially we are in the simlab from 8-5 the entire semester.

To ItsGavinc
I just want to let you know that I appreciate you devoting your time to posting all the details of your school. AZSOD is one of my top choices and now having read most of your posts, im even more sure of my choice. I know you are not an admissions officer and you are probably busy since school started, however i have a question for you.
I'll be graduating in two quarters and im taking the DATs in 3 weeks. At first, I planned on taking a year off before applying to schools. However, i think i want to apply now. my question is, i wont be able to turn in my application until october ( i havent even started on my personal statement). i know its really late for the application process. for applying into ASOD, would you think my chances are greatly reduced??

just in case ( i have a pretty decent GPA and i have some clincal experience)
thank you very much

cmj2,

I think that if you get your application turned in during October, you will still have a fair chance at getting an interview.

I do know that the first round of interviews have been sent out and are occuring at the end of August, and I also know that the deadline to have all materials turned into ASDOH has been moved up to December this year due to the overwhelming number of applications.

I also know that it can't hurt to apply, so go for it.

Hello ItsGavinc
Sorry to bother you again, but I have another question for you. I didn't really commit to dentistry until about february. From feb till now, ive been trying to get as much experience as possilbe. I have shadowing experience (more than 100 hrs), volunteered at community clinic (only for 30hrs bc i just started). The previous years, i just tutored disadvantaged minority students and at a youth shelter. It is my understanding that Arizona is a very community-oriented school. Im really scared of applying..... my question is, what are my chances of getting in?? what are the admission officers looking for??
thank you so much...

Worried-as-

Arizona is a school that is focused on leadership, and expects its graduates to fulfill that. But even that is a stretch of the truth--they've chosen students who WANT to be leaders, regardless of what mantra the school repeats.

Some of us will do rural health, some of us will do public health, some of us will do cosmetic dentistry, and some of us will do some research. ALL of us, however, will contribute to our communities and give back to people through use of our talents and personalities. That's what it is really all about.

Don't be nervous about your application. I can't give you any specific advice because my crystal ball is broken, but I do know that you can't succeed if you don't try!

i interviewed at asdoh on the 26th...

dr. polk's hilarious...
it's a great school with a lot of potential, dont you think?

dyarhea said:
i interviewed at asdoh on the 26th...

dr. polk's hilarious...
it's a great school with a lot of potential, dont you think?

Dr. Polk is excellent.

And you are correct about potential. In regards to our curriculum and school, the ADA has stated that they envision that the future of dental education will follow our model.

Gavin, If you are stopping this thread then I want to say thank you for the wealth of information you have provided us over the year. Your posts have given us "the hopefuls", a view inside D1 and ASDH, which really fuels the fire that wants us to get into ASDH or any dental school of our choice. I have read almost all of your posts on AZ exp. and I always picture the shcool in my head when I read them. I mean I lived 2 blocks from the school when it was just orange groves and I sure miss it. Thanks again for all your input and hope to see there next year.

BillE

Gavin, did you continue on with this with 2nd year? Or posts about the clinical experience?

Wow ... you brought back seriously old thread