Musical apitude?

New Vocab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here plays an instrument at present or has the ability to play one?

If so, which one?

I'm in late adolescence and I want to learn how to play an instrument. Is it a realistic goal to have learned how to play the violin in a year (I could play a little as a child)?

Members don't see this ad.

If so, which one?

I'm in late adolescence and I want to learn how to play an instrument. Is it a realistic goal to have learned how to play the violin in a year (I could play a little as a child)?

Violin. Yeah, you could learn the violin in a year.

violin is one of the hardest things to learn how to play...but, I'm sure you'll be able to learn if you dedicate yourself to it. I always wanted to either play the violin or piano...never got around to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I play the guitar, drums, and piano.

I am a guitarist in a band, and I can tell you from experience that it's never too late to start! My friend is 18, and he just started playing guitar. I have been teaching him every now and then, showing him scales and things, and now he is getting very good and he recently joined the band.

Playing an instrument is all about practice, practice, practice. If you want to get better, you will. If you just let your instrument sit there while you hope to be good, you won't make any progress.

Cool, I play Piano, Violin, Drums (and other percussion eg Vibraphone etc)

You might be able to, depending on how long you are willing to spend on it.

An instrument such as guitar or piano is certainly more realistic, however, as violin is one of the harder instruments to learn, and is usually started at a younger age as young children find it much easier to learn than when they are older.

If you are willing to give it your best, then it is possible, but only if you dedicate yourself to it - however be aware that in a year you will not be an expert in playing it, that would be impossible, however if you are dedicated enough to it then you could be able to reasonably play simpler arrangements and such like :)

Last edited:
It all really depends on what you mean by "learned how to play the violin." If by this you mean you would be able to play different melodies, scales, and songs, then yes, it's never too late to start. You aren't going to become a virtuoso in a year, but I think with practice you'll be happy with yourself and your abilities after a year :) good luck!

Go play Guitar hero and dance dance revolution and rock on your MCAT.

I played Saxophone. I pretty much just did it for the arts credits. Are you really an adolescent in medical school, by the way?

I play the flute and piano. I played percussion for my old school's band every once in awhile too (mallets only, though). I used to know how to play the guitar, but I haven't tried to in several years so I don't remember the first thing about it.

You're probably not going to be a virtuoso in a year, but it's never too late to start. :)

violin is one of the hardest things to learn how to play...but, I'm sure you'll be able to learn if you dedicate yourself to it. I always wanted to either play the violin or piano...never got around to it.

I have to totally disagree with that. It is very easy to learn how to play the violin. However, I started playing in middle school so I started kind of young. Although, I seriously doubt anyone with no knowledge of how to play the violin will think it is one of the hardest instruments to learn how to play. It isn't a cakewalk but its not exactly difficult either. I'd say it is pretty easy. I used to play the piano as well but gave that up because I hated it, I was pretty decent at it though and COULD have gotten better at it if I cared at all.

Those are, ironically, the only two instruments I've ever played.

Try playing the organ, that is insanely hard.

And no one gets to be very good at an instrument after only one year, it takes years of practice to get good. You can def. LEARN to play it after a year, it isn't that difficult.

If so, which one?

Well I play TRUMPET! It's the royal instrument (played when a king walks into the room). But anyways, I think it's one of the tougher instruments to air-support wise but if it's fun then I'd say go for it. In my first year of playing the trumpet, I knew most of my scales and level 1&2 songs...the basics as you can say. Now I can play really high and low, loud and soft, fast and slow, and this is my fourth year playing. Besides that, and idk if it's true, but they say that playing an instrument makes your brain think more and causes you to score higher on tests....idk if it's true and i really dont care anymore because I'm quittin band and the trumpet next year! Ha! If you decide not to do violin, take band...it has the bump and thump while orchestra has...soft tunes, but whatever you do, if you really want to do it, just try it or you'll be asking yourself why you didn't later on.

I have and am still currently playing violin in my school orchestra.

It's never too late to start playing any instrument. I encourage you to pick it up if you're really interested in it and enjoy playing it. :)

I play clarinet and the Chinese moon guitar. Both are very different, and, to answer your question, I have to agree with Salvorix. It depends on what you mean by "learn to play". That and how much time you can put into it, as well as how you go about learning. Basically, from my experience with clarinet, the first month or so (I was 9 and doing once-a-week lessons) was spent on the basics(putting the instrument together, making a sound, getting a few notes etc.), which, since you said you have some experience, I think you can skip. So scales and some songs (nothing really fancy) within year sounds reasonable. Again, it just depends on how you go about learning and how much time you can put in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You never stop learning. I think it is unrealistic to set a time scale for an instrument. I live with masters and phd music students. They dedicate several hours a day to practice. (That doesn't include rehearsals) These people have been playing non-stop since they were at least 10. Some were younger. If you want to learn an instrument then just start and aim to constantly improve. It is a life long pursuit.

There's a whole list of instruments that I can play at a middle-school-band level, but with decency, I can play the trumpet, flute, piano and kazoo. I think that learning to play the violin would be a lot of fun, and the tone color that it gets is beautiful. Good luck to you!

I also play the best instrument AKA The TRUMPET :cool: I have been playing for the last seven years.
I also know euphonium, guitar, trombone, and a little piano (jazz riffs)

Yeah you could definitely learn it in a year dependent on how much effort you put into it

I play bass, drums, and guitar (ordered by how good I think I am at them)

bass 4 years, drums less than a year, guitar 6 years. I don't consider myself very good at guitar :(

I also play the best instrument AKA The TRUMPET :cool: I have been playing for the last seven years.
I also know euphonium, guitar, trombone, and a little piano (jazz riffs)

Yeah you could definitely learn it in a year dependent on how much effort you put into it

YEAAAAH! That's what I'm talkin about!:thumbup:

Well I play TRUMPET! It's the royal instrument (played when a king walks into the room). But anyways, I think it's one of the tougher instruments to air-support wise but if it's fun then I'd say go for it. In my first year of playing the trumpet, I knew most of my scales and level 1&2 songs...the basics as you can say. Now I can play really high and low, loud and soft, fast and slow, and this is my fourth year playing. Besides that, and idk if it's true, but they say that playing an instrument makes your brain think more and causes you to score higher on tests....idk if it's true and i really dont care anymore because I'm quittin band and the trumpet next year! Ha! If you decide not to do violin, take band...it has the bump and thump while orchestra has...soft tunes, but whatever you do, if you really want to do it, just try it or you'll be asking yourself why you didn't later on.
You can't go wrong witht the trumpet.:cool: Have been playing since I was in 4th grade. What is your range?

So many trumpet players... :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Bass Clarinet and Alto Sax

it all depends on your natural ability when it comes to picking up musical instruments. It can take you 4 years to accomplish the same thing it took me three days to

I play violin, piano, guitar, and cello.

Violin isn't too hard to learn how to play if you're willing to work at it, but it is hard to learn how to play well. You could definitely get pretty good within a year. Though, like others have said, playing an instrument is a continual process. There's always something new to master. So yes, if you practice hard, you could have a good grip on the basics of violin within a year, but there will always be something to improve upon!

The one thing that is a plus about us TRUMPET players going into medicine is that we already are accustomed to the god complex, so we can get any worse!

Who would win the biggest ego contest, a world class surgeon or a professional trumpet player?

:hijacked:

If so, which one?

Played the violin for 14 years. Haven't touched it since college though.

Violin has a pretty steep learning curve. You'll learn how to read and play the notes within a year, sure. I'd guess that it'll take at least 3-4 years of formal instruction and practice before things start to... well, click and you'll be able to perform most simple tunes by ear. Obviously like language, adults take longer than children to get to this point.

The one thing that is a plus about us TRUMPET players going into medicine is that we already are accustomed to the god complex, so we can get any worse!

Who would win the biggest ego contest, a world class surgeon or a professional trumpet player?

:hijacked:

How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

One. He just stands there and holds up the light bulb, and waits for the world to revolve around him.

I don't know, in my experience piccolo players definitely have egos to rival the trumpets... Since there's usually only one piccolo player in a concert setting (because you have to shoot the others for it to be in tune), they tend to feel like they're something special. ;)

I think their moms are the scariest, personally...

I don't know, in my experience piccolo players definitely have egos to rival the trumpets... Since there's usually only one piccolo player in a concert setting (because you have to shoot the others for it to be in tune), they tend to feel like they're something special. ;)

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]What is the range of a piccolo?

Oh, about twenty yards on a good day. :smuggrin: lol

and has anyone ever met a Bass Clarinet player that isn't borderline insane?

Anyone ever met a band director who didn't talk an audience stupid at a concert?

I think one of the requirements for being a band director is the ability to talk for ages about nothing of particular significance.

You can't go wrong witht the trumpet.:cool: Have been playing since I was in 4th grade. What is your range?

I can play from the lowest note, which I think is a low F# to high E, which is two notes after the third C in playing the concert Bb scale two octaves (octives?) going up.

Also played piano for about 2 years but can't really do much on it.

I'm leaving music altogether to pursue science classes that I think I should take to better myself in that area and increase my chances at a 0-6 pharmacy program.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]What is the range of a piccolo?

Oh, about twenty yards on a good day. :smuggrin: lol

and has anyone ever met a Bass Clarinet player that isn't borderline insane?

Ahaha, that's a good one. :laugh:

The craziest band members I know are the percussionists, though the low brass section (especially the trombones) definitely deserve an honorable mention...

And Tib, I'm pretty sure that's a class required for every band director or something as well... Most of them talk a LOT. My youth orchestra directors have been the worst, though...

I play the piano and I sing... normally not together unless forced. I've played trumpet, violin and clarinet before but piano's my favorite. If I was picking an instrument to start now though I would probably choose guitar... It's the most useful. No offense to all of our trumpet players out there, but who wants to sing along to a campfire song with a trumpet in the background?

I've tried the piano and the violin, and have to say that it's definitely possible to be a beginner in both in a year quite easily. However, after four or so years, the time and effort you'd have to put in to improve increases dramatically. If it's a relaxing activity that you have time for, go for it.

Anyone ever met a band director who didn't talk an audience stupid at a concert?

I think one of the requirements for being a band director is the ability to talk for ages about nothing of particular significance.

Two band directors one randomly talks about his tie which is normally festive to the event, and the other picks random audience members and harasses them

I play the piano and I sing... normally not together unless forced. I've played trumpet, violin and clarinet before but piano's my favorite. If I was picking an instrument to start now though I would probably choose guitar... It's the most useful. No offense to all of our trumpet players out there, but who wants to sing along to a campfire song with a trumpet in the background?

awesome people

awesome people

Okay silvers. I'm just glad I don't go on camping trips with you. I'd feel very bad for you when you woke up in the middle of the lake the next morning with only your distroyed trumpet and the wonderful sound of rushing rapids for company.

My ability to bring already off topic boards off topic astounds me. I deserve a medal or something...

Bahahaha.

Trumpets can't serenade though either.... now if you had a guitar.... ;)

Bahahaha.

Trumpets can't serenade though either.... now if you had a guitar.... ;)

Sure they can. They're just really, really, really loud.:laugh:

I suppose that's more of a statement of presence than I serenade, though.:laugh::laugh:

I've got a couple of guitars, but I don't think you can call what my lack of skill produces a "serenade.":laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Unfortunately for trumpets they're incapable of making girls swoon though. With a guitar all you have to play is "Nothing to Loose" by Corey Smith and I'm mush.

Unfortunately for trumpets they're incapable of making girls swoon though. With a guitar all you have to play is "Nothing to Loose" by Corey Smith and I'm mush.

Sorry but you cant get anything smoother then Chris Botti
I don't know how fluent people reading this are in jazz but here's a link to his site:

http://www.chrisbotti.com/

Really? You've never heard of Chris Botti?

Huh.

In other news, some kid at school knocked my trumpet over, and the tubing cracked open. Freaking cracked open. It's going to cost +$300 to fix. This, my friends, is the not-so-great part of playing an instrument. I just lost most of my next paycheck. *sigh*

Ouch. I'm sorry. I've definitely had my share of instrument mishaps, so I can relate...

In other news, some kid at school knocked my trumpet over, and the tubing cracked open. Freaking cracked open. It's going to cost +$300 to fix. This, my friends, is the not-so-great part of playing an instrument. I just lost most of my next paycheck. *sigh*

That sucks big time, I know, I have also unfortunately been there and I totally feel your pain.

Here's a story, It reminds me of stories of people that try to do their own medical procedures.

My trumpet teacher is in instrument repair and he showed me a very expensive french horn where you can screw off the bell for storage come in to him. Well long story short, it got stuck on and the owner decided to have his friend help him get it off by twisting each each of the two sides a different way.

It worked.... two inches below on the horn side where it should have un-screwed. The bell was totaled and ended up costing in the neighborhood of $750 to $1200 to fix, mind you this was a $5000 dollar horn to begin with. :laugh:

Really? You've never heard of Chris Botti?

Huh.

1) Nope I've never heard of the Chris Botti guy

2)Why not use $300 to buy a cheap trumpet so that he can't break it at school and use the real one when you play at performances? lol

3) My trumpet didn't even cost $300 lol...idk anything about it but it sounds like a trumpet to me!

I've never heard of Chris Botti either... and I s'pose I never will... stupid soundless computer...