Murdoch acceptances, C/O 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello there!! I have recently been accepted to Murdoch and was overjoyed when I received the email. I broke the news to my friends/family then looked up tuition and started doing the math. I have less than 1,000$ to my name and can barely make rent as a vet assistant... any advice on how to imagine having 300,000 in debt? Is that common and will it be impossible to pay off within my lifetime? Is it difficult to get a job as a Murdoch grad and are the pass rates for the NAVLE similar to those who study at a US university? Also, classes start in Feb. which is when interviews are conducted for other US schools that I have applied to, has anyone else come across this unfortunate timetable? Thanks a bunch! All I want is to start classes but am very nervous about the cost.

I have come across that problem as well, so you are not alone! I know this sounds crappy but you may just have to fly back to interview. I understand that the prices at Murdoch are expensive being as it's a 5 year program (that's why I discussed with Nexx earlier that I thought Advanced Standing could make it 4 years but I was incorrect in my assessment) and how it adds up to $300K. I totally understand that. My parents aren't helping me pay for this at all, so I completely understand where you're coming from and worry about the same thing. That's why I'm open to the option of interviewing for a vet school in the U.S. and starting up the program in the U.S. if I find that the program here would cost less overall the Murdoch. You don't want to lose an opportunity for a vet school and decline Murdoch for a *hypothetical* acceptance to a U.S. school, so that's why I'm definitely going to Murdoch unless if I somehow get into a U.S. school before the end of January (we'll see if that happens, probably not).

Also, as far as finances go, I don't know if you've read from my other posts but thanks to undergrad and grad school I have about $60K debt to my name so if you have less debt then that's more opportunity for you to take out subsidized and unsubsidized loans in your name. You can take up to $138.5K so you have a ways to go before you get there, and the rest can be GRADPlus loans (which I think Nexx told me you can take out $20K a year?).

P.S. If you're going, did you want to find housing together so we're not uprooting our lives and going across the world without knowing anyone? I heard from Nexx that the Village isn't good and it's overpriced. And another student (forgot her name, sorry!) told me that the new Village (the south village) doesn't even have an oven and it's supposed to house like 5-8 students. Who the heck doesn't provide an OVEN for students?! That's ridiculous!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to give a strong +1 to Nexx and add, you really may have a culture shock coming to Australasia. Things are much slower, more informal and generally less organized. If you don't hear from the financial aid office in 3 weeks or so, I would be concerned. But it's not time to start worrying yet.

I don't know how it is in Perth, but a lot of Massey international students just show up in Palmerston North and start looking for housing when they arrive. No one's been stuck homeless yet.

I would go so far as to say that if you find yourself really uncomfortable with disorganization and a sort-of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to life, it might be better to go to school in the US or Britain. Life down under might drive you crazy. This is not to say you can't do it, just... do you want to?

I'm looking into housing and stuff now, but obviously I can't sign a contract unless the landlord somehow faxes or mails the contract to me. Plus I'm trying to round up others in my situation (that are uprooting their lives and moving across the world for this program). Other than that, I've deduced that I can't live in the University housing because it's overpriced and the place where I'd live doesn't even have an oven. How dumb is that? I don't mind the slower paced atmosphere. To be honest, having a slower pace would be nice considering I've been go-go-go since undergrad. But I did study abroad in Perth at UWA for a semester and I was fine so we'll see what happens. :)

I'm going to give a strong +1 to Nexx and add, you really may have a culture shock coming to Australasia. Things are much slower, more informal and generally less organized. If you don't hear from the financial aid office in 3 weeks or so, I would be concerned. But it's not time to start worrying yet.

Maybe you guys are just too uptight... :p

I'm looking into housing and stuff now, but obviously I can't sign a contract unless the landlord somehow faxes or mails the contract to me. Plus I'm trying to round up others in my situation (that are uprooting their lives and moving across the world for this program). Other than that, I've deduced that I can't live in the University housing because it's overpriced and the place where I'd live doesn't even have an oven. How dumb is that? I don't mind the slower paced atmosphere. To be honest, having a slower pace would be nice considering I've been go-go-go since undergrad. But I did study abroad in Perth at UWA for a semester and I was fine so we'll see what happens. :)

You're not going to find someone who's going to fax/send you a contract overseas, without meeting you etc. The way it tends to work over here is that you find a place you're interested in, go have a look, put in your expression of interest, and then the real estate agent/owners of the house choose who they want to live there. You're really not going to find a place until you're here, I think. We're big on interviewing people to be our housemates too, lol.

And its not like NONE of the village flats have ovens... just not the new buildings...

So, I mean, it probably seems like a huge risk moving across the world to not have a home to go to, which is why you might want to take out a one semester contract with the village (it IS possible). I lived with a lot of "mature aged" students in the village, I'm sure you could definately deal with it for a semester, and it would give you the security of a place to stay when you move here and the time to find housemates.

It may be really difficult to find students to live with while you are in America (to be honest, I wouldn't agree to live with anyone without numerous meetings face to face, and I think lots of other people feel the same).

Members don't see this ad :)

You're not going to find someone who's going to fax/send you a contract overseas, without meeting you etc. The way it tends to work over here is that you find a place you're interested in, go have a look, put in your expression of interest, and then the real estate agent/owners of the house choose who they want to live there. You're really not going to find a place until you're here, I think. We're big on interviewing people to be our housemates too, lol.

And its not like NONE of the village flats have ovens... just not the new buildings...

So, I mean, it probably seems like a huge risk moving across the world to not have a home to go to, which is why you might want to take out a one semester contract with the village (it IS possible). I lived with a lot of "mature aged" students in the village, I'm sure you could definately deal with it for a semester, and it would give you the security of a place to stay when you move here and the time to find housemates.

It may be really difficult to find students to live with while you are in America (to be honest, I wouldn't agree to live with anyone without numerous meetings face to face, and I think lots of other people feel the same).

Yeah, it is a huge risk to go across the world and not have a place to stay. And why would the Village even think of making places without an oven? Are people not supposed to cook/bake in the newer Village? C'mon, that's just.. dumb. I'll have to ask about staying for a semester instead of a year, which isn't a bad idea. Why do they tell you how much it costs per week to live at a place and then charge you by the month? Why don't they just tell you how much it'll cost by the month?

I would be fine with meeting others face-to-face but I obviously can't do that until I'm there unfortunately, and living in a hostel or hotel or motel until then seems expensive. Well, the hotel/motel at least. And I've stayed in hostels but they probably don't have any near Murdoch. I see St. Ives Group when I typed in "hostels in Western Australia" but I think that's a retirement village so that's obviously not for me. hah There's also a CLV Smart Stays Perth South, which I think it's in or near South Village (where I'd be staying if I signed my contract). I don't know. This is rough, and I do know that.

Well, I wasn't going to say that, but I thought it :) There's a reason for the "Impatient, Demanding American" stereotype ;-) Not that I sometimes don't resemble that remark, but 5 years here has mellowed me out.

sigh... *shakes head* I'll just not say what's on my mind.

Well, some of us americans are super uptight... I have learned living here in washington DC that the culture is very professional/stress filled. I actually met a guy at a bar who told me he lived in CA but moved back because he needed the stress, I thought it was a funny comment. I find positives and negatives to both situations, as I have spent most my life in CA the uptight business mindset here is a much different pace but refreshing in a strange way to some people who are way too super laid back. In general I am very impulsive and love change, adventure and not having plans, although I cannot argue at the benefits I have reaped from those friends of mine who are very good at planning. As for Dwyn, not sure what is going to happen in the next 2 weeks, would like to keep in touch though. Also, the oven thing does suck-don't care if u r being called uptight, some appliances are really nice to have but overall it won't matter in 10 yrs if we can't bake a cake in the comfort of our own home.

Well, some of us americans are super uptight... I have learned living here in washington DC that the culture is very professional/stress filled. I actually met a guy at a bar who told me he lived in CA but moved back because he needed the stress, I thought it was a funny comment. I find positives and negatives to both situations, as I have spent most my life in CA the uptight business mindset here is a much different pace but refreshing in a strange way to some people who are way too super laid back. In general I am very impulsive and love change, adventure and not having plans, although I cannot argue at the benefits I have reaped from those friends of mine who are very good at planning. As for Dwyn, not sure what is going to happen in the next 2 weeks, would like to keep in touch though. Also, the oven thing does suck-don't care if u r being called uptight, some appliances are really nice to have but overall it won't matter in 10 yrs if we can't bake a cake in the comfort of our own home.

I think regardless of where you go things are stress-filled. I live in the Midwest and although people think we're probably more laid back here, I think it's circumstantial. I mean, I'm working on a thesis and studying to defend my thesis in less than a month while applying to vet schools, re-taking the GRE, working full-time over the summer and part-time over the school while being a full-time student. So yeah.. life isn't a breeze right now. I would opt to be more laid back if I didn't have so many deadlines and so much stuff to do in a short span of time. I think once I defend my thesis though, I'm going to go party so freaking hard after I'm done with that. That and I may travel a little bit just to enjoy the U.S. while I still can. :p

I do like planning, if it's not obvious. I mean, if I didn't then I wouldn't be on here inquiring about what to do in Murdoch, where to go, and who to talk to about stuff. I don't think it's a bad idea to do that.

And it's not that I want to bake a cake or something. To be honest, I don't even bake because I try to steer clear of sweets. I do like to cook though, and not having that opportunity would upset me. You can't even make a pizza without an oven. Pizza is a staple college food! I don't care so much about other kitchen appliances -- I could just go to a Goodwill (or whatever they call them in Australia) and get some kitchenware like forks, spoons, knives. That's fine. But no oven for pizza, chicken Parmesan, casseroles, etc.? Sad panda. Eating out is expensive so I would have preferred to cook something instead. Oh well I guess... such is life.

I emailed the lady that's been talking to me about Village housing and I asked her a series of questions so hopefully she'll get back to me soon and let me know the answers. If I can do a semester in the Village instead of a year I may do that, since people most likely won't want me to live with them without meeting me first. I also may look into the repercussions of breaking the Village contract if need be.

Dwyn, I didn't mean to pick on you personally. It's just more of an American thing in general vs. Aussies and New Zealanders.

Dwyn, I didn't mean to pick on you personally. It's just more of an American thing in general vs. Aussies and New Zealanders.

Nah it's cool. I just... I don't like being this uptight. It's coincidental because I just had this conversation with my friend here like two days ago about how if I wasn't in school how I bet I'd have a different personality, like more laid back. I love adventure and I love traveling and it'll be hard to go to Australia again and NOT be able to travel and do all sorts of fun stuff like what I would really want to do and to study all the time like what I know I'll be doing. :-/ I guess it's just a struggle. I wish I was one of those people that naturally was super smart and didn't have to work exceptionally hard to get the grades I do.

Good luck on defending your thesis by the way.... also wish i were super smart but am pretty happy that I'm not super dumb. Actually, pretty happy that I'm not a genius because I don't think that I could deal with all the information in the world- what an overload. Anyways, planning is a great quality and I wish that I were better at it. Still trying to unravel the knot in my stomach created by a combination of excitement and fear of mountains of debt. Trying to talk it out in my head- 300k ok but 70k starting salary for vets translates to 50k after taxes, I can comfortably live on 20k if I don't buy a house which leaves around 10 years of paying off loans and living tight budget (I'm averaging the increase of salary with the interest rate of the loan). So at 40 I would finally be able to support myself without debt... One of my dreams is also to travel, volunteer in a 3rd world country one month out of the year and for a while sail around the world. The debt keeps me from all the other goals I have in life while accomplishing my first and top goal. Oh, I'm really impressed by everything you do! Very productive and motivated- wish I were more.

Calicat,

First off, I just realized that I have a cat named Calli and you're calicat so I thought that was cool. And secondly, thank you. Grad school was plan B when plan A of going to vet school after undergrad didn't work out (thank you, GPA). And yeah, I actually had to push my advisor and thesis committee to work with me this semester so that I actually get to graduate if all goes according to plan and I pass my defense. I hope I will but you never know. I could freeze up when I'm getting interrogated and completely forget everything I've learned. That happens to me on big things like this. I just didn't want to go through years of grad school and not get a M.S. after all the time, labor, and money I've put into it. That's why I'm completing my degree instead of sailing off into the winds of veterinary land. haha

And you sound equally ambitious! Working in a third world country for a month every year and sailing around the world and such? If only you were male. lol We are both very ambitious people. I want to travel the world as well. I think it'd be fun to be a traveling veterinarian. Work in the wild with lions in the African safari one week and the next week work with tapirs in South America. That'd be fun!

I agree with you though... it's hard to see the big picture and enjoy the post-graduation of a veterinary education and NOT think of the years (decades) of debt we'll be in. The way I see it, I'd rather wake up in the morning happy going to work and poor as hell than wake up every morning dreading my job but making money. Ideally if you can make loads of money AND be happy with your job then that would be amazing! But I think I'd have to specialize in a branch of vet medicine if I did that :p And who wants to be in school until their mid-30's? Not I!

Well, I can relate with the freezing up ability however, I have taken a couple grad classes and had to do a couple of presentations in each and have learned one thing- practice practice practice (your speech/explanations out loud). For me it made all the difference and I made my partners practice out loud too, we rocked that **** and got a 99. Before that I used to take shots before every presentation because I got so nervous. If anything it is a great skill to speak publicly so think of it as another opportunity to improve, even if it sucks. What is your thesis about? If there is any way I can help- read your paper etc. I would be happy to. Even though I may not be super smart I have been told that I ask really good questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calicat,

I do appreciate the offer of you looking over my thesis but I don't want to burden you with 40 pages of nonsense. haha I guess it's not nonsense but I finalized my thesis and sent it to my committee a couple days ago for their revisions, so the only thing now that I can do is revise it as they see fit and defend it (and all areas of Biology). There's one hour for defending one's thesis and one hour for being questioned about cell/molecular biology, organismal biology, and population/community Biology. That's all you get as info on what to study. And it sucks because I can't ask my advisor HOW to study or WHAT to study specifically because she's on my committee and can't tell me these things. So it's like shooting in the dark. I borrow a biology textbook from a friend who majored in it in undergrad and another one from the library, but there's no way in heck I'm going to memorize every minute detail in that textbook in such a short span of time. So I think I'm just going to read "Biology for Dummies" again (I've already read it once) and maybe a Student study guide of a Biology textbook. That, and I'll read my thesis, the articles I used to create it, and maybe more articles about it.

To answer your question, my thesis is "Olfactory Discrimination of Plant and Animal Scents by an Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus) Using Match-to-Sample at Niabi Zoo". It was fun working in such close quarters with an Asian elephant. There are two at this specific zoo but the one I worked with,"Babe", was already trained to touch a sample with her trunk that she felt was a "match" to the sample that the zoo trainer presented. The other elephant, "Sophie", wasn't trained to do such activities. It would have been awesome to have both doing it, but then again maybe Babe would learn from Sophie when she was doing the elephant sessions and vice versa. Elephants are SMART creatures!

Nexx,

How's your studies going? You've been quiet for a while? And I have another question to you Murdoch students -- do you think you can be in the veterinary sciences program and maintain a 20 hour a week job? Or do you think it's just too much to do at once?

laurafinn,

How is Massey vet school? I actually applied there and I haven't heard back from them yet. Actually, they're one of the vet schools that never responded to me when I emailed them to inquire if they got my transcripts. Hah Also, while looking for housing, apparently there's a retired couple from NZ that came to Perth to be closer to their family.

How is Massey vet school? I actually applied there and I haven't heard back from them yet. Actually, they're one of the vet schools that never responded to me when I emailed them to inquire if they got my transcripts. Hah Also, while looking for housing, apparently there's a retired couple from NZ that came to Perth to be closer to their family.

Yeah, not taking emails seriously seems to be a New Zealand thing. Better if you call them, or just assume they got them if you haven't heard otherwise.

There are half a million Kiwis in Australia, which is pretty impressive given there are only 4 million Kiwis in NZ. Australian jobs pay a fair amount more than NZ jobs, and of course there's the weather.

I really like Massey. It has a strong reputation among vet schools in Australasia, and the administration and lecturers are dedicated to continuous improvement. It seems like things just keep getting better -- I'm a little jealous of the first years coming in -- they get things like VLE (a get-to-know-you and intro to vet retreat at the beginning of the professional program) and some amazing anatomy lecturers which we didn't have.

The clinical side of things can feel really small time -- for instance, the small animal hospital is tiny compared to Davis -- but it gives you an opportunity to really get to know the clinicians fifth year. There is plenty of opportunity for externships too (8 weeks in final year).

If you are really opposed to learning (a lot) about production animal medicine, I would not come here -- or probably any Australasian school. Animal science and agronomy is built into the curriculum. Even though I'm a smallies person, I think learning where my food comes from and how farms work is fairly interesting. A lot of my smallies classmates do not agree though ;)

Palmerston North, the city Massey is located in, has some of the worst weather in NZ and has the reputation of being the most boring town. That said, rent is cheap, there are decent ethnic restaurants to go to, and the beach, cold and windswept as it is, is 35 minutes away. Here's a little video my classmates put together taking the piss out of Palmy, showing a few of Palmy's many attractions :): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kKQPPs8pc

laurafinn,

OH MY GOD That is HILARIOUS!!!!! Thank you for my cheap thrill in the midst of my thesis defense studies! That's awesome! At least it seems like the people there are fun and personable. :) I actually have been to the Northern Island before, traveling to Auckland and Rotorua. It wasn't bad, but I figured that with the lush green grass it has to rain all the time there. I heard jade is cheap there at least. Is that true?

Last edited:
I'm hating life right now, stuck knee deep in production animals and equine. I've been reading along as I've been procrastinating... won't be around much for another few days. Sheep/pig/chicken exam tomorrow :(

Awww I'm sorry. If it's any consolation I'll go through that same hell soon enough! I got a lot of production work from undergrad too. I wish there were more wild animal classes out there! Wildlife, exotics, you know... the fun stuff. :p

Okay, done with one painful exam.

Getting back to the impatience thing briefly -- it's more a comment that in the US we expect results fast and a lot of customer service, just doesn't happen over here and it drives some of my friends insane :p Most people settle in however.

As for working 20 hrs/week over here, it can be done. I did it my first semester (although I don't recc that!). Best bet to save $$$ after your first few months over here is to try and find a live-in position at a veterinary clinic -- free rent in exchange for doing some overnight checks, some even pay a eager monetary amount on top of that ($10/night). The positions come up often, almost yearly and are usually with another vet student to share so you don't always have work in the evening.

Also if you find a ridiculously boring, unfulfilling, but high paying job (like I have) you don't have to work as much. I peddle premium foods at a pet store for about 12-16/hrs a month @ $33/hr. If you work at one of the pet stores over here, I know they pay $40/hr to work on sunday :p

You've been quiet for a while? And I have another question to you Murdoch students -- do you think you can be in the veterinary sciences program and maintain a 20 hour a week job? Or do you think it's just too much to do at once?

I work around 18/hrs/week at vet clinics, spread over fri nights/saturdays/sundays and keep up with uni just fine. I also live-in at a vet clinic. Because local students don't take out loans to cover living costs and because I had to move to come to vet school, the only way I can afford to live is by working, lol. I'm just finishing up second year now, and I haven't had a problem with how much I work. I don't attend lectures though, and study very effieciently. I also maintain a social life just fine, so I don't think working 15-20hrs/week is too much of an issue.

As for working 20 hrs/week over here, it can be done. I did it my first semester (although I don't recc that!). Best bet to save $$$ after your first few months over here is to try and find a live-in position at a veterinary clinic -- free rent in exchange for doing some overnight checks, some even pay a eager monetary amount on top of that ($10/night). The positions come up often, almost yearly and are usually with another vet student to share so you don't always have work in the evening.

Also if you find a ridiculously boring, unfulfilling, but high paying job (like I have) you don't have to work as much. I peddle premium foods at a pet store for about 12-16/hrs a month @ $33/hr. If you work at one of the pet stores over here, I know they pay $40/hr to work on sunday :p

With the live-in position at a veterinary clinic, is that something that you do as an experienced veterinary student (as in the latter 2.5 years of vet school) or can you do that immediately upon entering vet school? And are they expecting you to perform surgeries on pets or what are the job duties?

As for the high paying yet boring job. Honestly, since I'm paying for my own education, this wouldn't be a bad deal either. I've never gotten paid more than the grad assistantship I have now where tuition is paid for and I get a monthly stipend while in school, but other than that it's been all unpaid jobs or barely above minimum wage. So a $40/hour job to work on Sundays sounds VERY appealing!

I may for the first month of school feel it out a bit before jumping into a job, because as much as I'd like to make money, I don't want my grades to suffer because of it.

I think I've decided that since a lot of Aussie residents want to interview people before moving in that I will stay in the South Village for maybe the first semester and that's it. At least then I know I have a place to stay upon entering Australia! :) That and I can have the "dorm living" and meet students that way but I also know it's short-lived if I absolutely hate it. We'll see what happens! At least then it's also less than 6 months, too.

sunshinevet,

Yeah, I'm paying for my education too. It must be nice to be a local student and not have to take out loans to cover living costs. :) As I told Nexx, I may just "feel out" how vet school is after the first month of classes (or units as the Aussies say) and then see if I can handle a part-time job. What do you do at your live-in job?

So I take it they don't take attendance at vet school? What do you do if you have quizzes and homework? I'd be afraid to be in vet school and not go to my paid for units. But then again, maybe I'm just thinking they're more hardcore than what they actually are!

Oh! Another question I have for all you Americans is what did you do about your bank account money and your cell phones?

I am on Verizon right now and I literally re-signed a contract this past September and obviously I'm not going to be able to use Verizon in Australia. Either that or the phones that are allowed for International use may not have a coverage area in Perth for all I know.

And as for bank accounts, did you have to get a bank account in Australia and wire your own money from your U.S. bank to your Australian bank? I know there's a charge for the wiring process. I'm just curious. Plus, if I get financial aid, where would the money go? My Australian bank or my U.S. bank?

Thanks for all your help, guys! You've helped me more than I can say!

The year for 2011 ends (including final exams) by the 28th of November (the week prior is week 2 of final exams).

This is pretty much standard for every year since I've been here so far.

BTW, the first column applies to you - S1 = semester 1, S2 = Semester 2, WT/ST = Winter Term/Summer term (these does not apply to you)
Anywhere it says "break" or "study" you have a week off from classes to study. "assess" is for assessment weeks (aka exams)

Does this mean the break between S1 and S2 in June/July is 7 weeks long? and the break between S2 and the following year S1 (Nov/Dec/Jan) is about 12 weeks? Does this sound about right?

hey guys,
i'm a first year murdoch student from california.

first, nexx,
dude, you're in flippin' 4th year!, good job helping out the newbies while getting ready for exams. i guess i should log in more than once a year to help future students out...

dwyn,
for the most part attendance is not taken; however, it usually is taken during labs. for about the first half of the program nearly every lecture is recorded and posted online. this means a lot of people don't show up to lecture (even the international students paying large sums of money). i show up, but i'm just crazy like that. homework/assignments are either submitted electronically or to a drop box (or designated office) by a certain time of day.

and there are in-class quizzes and tests, of course. it's always funny to see your class double in size on test day.

my american bank account is still completely active. but i only use it to pay for certain things in america that i get shipped over (or for credit cards)

i signed up for for an australian bank account (commonwealth bank) prior to coming over. i just had to show my passport, CoE letter, and student id (student accounts don't pay extra fees) to actually open it.

i have at&t in america. i told them i was moving over here and i was able to basically deactivate the phone number but still keep it for $10/month. if/when i come back to visit, i can reactivate the phone and then turn it off when i leave. i'm not sure what verizon offers.

as for your phone, i just a new phone when i got here. you don't get as much bang for your buck like you do back home, but there isn't much you can do about it. when you first get here, try to get a prepaid phone if you can't/don't want to sign a contract right away. don't use your american phone unless you absolutely have to; you will be charged and arm and a leg.

and just to add my two cents:
when i got here i had no place to stay. the kind folks at the village never emailed me back, and while i knew someone over here, i felt like was imposing asking her to crash. i had a stopover in new zealand and found a hostel in fremantle (it's about 5 miles from campus). i stayed there for a week until i asked the manager at murdoch village if i could stay there temporarily.
i was there for about a month, and then got out quickly. dorm life was fun for the first week, but i had done it once already and it was time to go.

if your class is anything like mine, there will be people that need somewhere to stay, and/or will need to get out of the village.
i, and plenty other people, will be looking for a roommate or two, early in 2011. emails will go out, and you'll meet people, so don't stress about finding a place to live.

i've also been through the hell that is american financial aid in australia. but like nexx said, it should be fixed, for next year. i hope, i hope, i hope....

don't stress about financial aid right now either as there is nothing you can do to speed it up. and you won't see a single cent of the money until class starts. i didn't even know if i was going to get financial aid. i came over with enough cash to get by until it went through, or to come back to the states if it didn't.

i'm still here ;)

Haha, I think I know who you are platelets! What dragged you here? procrastinating too?

Dwyn, I think your email may have gone out today from Claire, or at least someone's did :)

Live in positions are not necc for people further along. Generally I think 2nd year and up have them but I'm sure there's a first year somewhere at a local clinic. You check on patients overnight, maybe give them some meds, make sure they aren't dead/dying. Nothing too extreme usually. Sunshine can probably tell you more about them since she's actually in one right now ;) But duties do obviously vary by clinic -- I know one local clinic has you just take care of the cattery on a daily basis in the morning (can get real busy on holidays obviously)

Like the rest of Australia vet school is pretty relaxed compared to what I see from my friends back home. We have occasional mid-semester exams, no pop-quizzes, occasional group work, assignments. Everything is pretty mapped out for you at the beginning of the semester so you know what is expected and when you have to turn up to class :p

If you want to see a potential class schedule you can look here:
http://timetables.murdoch.edu.au/teaching/

just plug in the unit codes you will be taking (i.e. vet240, etc)

Definitely not 8:30-5:30 like it is in the US (well for the first 3 years anyhow)

I think I've mentioned it on here before but we have several lecturers who I can't stand because they talk so god-awfully slow that I fail to pay attention in class. I listen to lectures back home then where I can speed them up to that of a normal human conversational pace (1.5-2x speed).

Jazz, that sounds about right. My last exam is on the 26th of Nov and I know everyone except for 5th years starts back at uni on the 14th of february. (5th year starts 2 weeks earlier, 4th years -might- start a week earlier)

And yeah, I finished another exam. Horses up next :oops:

oh yes, i'm over anatomy and not quite ready to take physio seriously just yet.

hey guys,
i'm a first year murdoch student from california.

first, nexx,
dude, you're in flippin' 4th year!, good job helping out the newbies while getting ready for exams. i guess i should log in more than once a year to help future students out...

dwyn,
for the most part attendance is not taken; however, it usually is taken during labs. for about the first half of the program nearly every lecture is recorded and posted online. this means a lot of people don't show up to lecture (even the international students paying large sums of money). i show up, but i'm just crazy like that. homework/assignments are either submitted electronically or to a drop box (or designated office) by a certain time of day.

and there are in-class quizzes and tests, of course. it's always funny to see your class double in size on test day.

my american bank account is still completely active. but i only use it to pay for certain things in america that i get shipped over (or for credit cards)

i signed up for for an australian bank account (commonwealth bank) prior to coming over. i just had to show my passport, CoE letter, and student id (student accounts don't pay extra fees) to actually open it.

i have at&t in america. i told them i was moving over here and i was able to basically deactivate the phone number but still keep it for $10/month. if/when i come back to visit, i can reactivate the phone and then turn it off when i leave. i'm not sure what verizon offers.

as for your phone, i just a new phone when i got here. you don't get as much bang for your buck like you do back home, but there isn't much you can do about it. when you first get here, try to get a prepaid phone if you can't/don't want to sign a contract right away. don't use your american phone unless you absolutely have to; you will be charged and arm and a leg.

and just to add my two cents:
when i got here i had no place to stay. the kind folks at the village never emailed me back, and while i knew someone over here, i felt like was imposing asking her to crash. i had a stopover in new zealand and found a hostel in fremantle (it's about 5 miles from campus). i stayed there for a week until i asked the manager at murdoch village if i could stay there temporarily.
i was there for about a month, and then got out quickly. dorm life was fun for the first week, but i had done it once already and it was time to go.

if your class is anything like mine, there will be people that need somewhere to stay, and/or will need to get out of the village.
i, and plenty other people, will be looking for a roommate or two, early in 2011. emails will go out, and you'll meet people, so don't stress about finding a place to live.

i've also been through the hell that is american financial aid in australia. but like nexx said, it should be fixed, for next year. i hope, i hope, i hope....

don't stress about financial aid right now either as there is nothing you can do to speed it up. and you won't see a single cent of the money until class starts. i didn't even know if i was going to get financial aid. i came over with enough cash to get by until it went through, or to come back to the states if it didn't.

i'm still here ;)

It's good to know this information. Is that the only bank in Perth or is that just the first one that was available to you at the time, platelets? I was thinking about keeping my American bank open too but just taking a lot of money from it and putting it into an Australian bank.

That's cool that I don't have to attend lectures since roll isn't taken. I'm not a morning person so it's nice to think that I can actually sleep in and study the materials later. We'll see if I actually stop going to uni though for certain lectures. I'm the type of person where I'm afraid if I miss lecture that I'll miss important information from the lecture that's not in the book. I think the only lectures I actively said "f this" to in undergrad was Organic Chemistry. I cannot believe they would make someone critically think at 8am multiple days a week. And it was general Chemistry too that they had then! Wtf! I knew I wouldn't absorb anything anyway if I went to lecture so the last month I just stopped going.

Platelets and Nexx, you're right. It was my email that was sent out to the classes of animal science and vet science students. So now you know my name! haha I've been receiving emails and I don't think I'm too worried about finding housing (although finding a bed will be difficult).

I was just emailed back this past week about my award letter for financial aid by Dayna. I think if I bug her enough I guess I get what I want! hah It's unfortunate that it has to come down to that, but at least I know I have the money! I just need to print the info out and read it more thoroughly to make sure. That and I have to do the MPN for GradPLUS loans I guess too. Ugh... being an adult sucks! Debt, debt, debt.

I'll look into Verizon and my phone options (keeping my account active but my phone plan not) AFTER I defend my thesis. :) I'm hoping that I get the same option as you, platelets.

Anyway, off to volunteer at the local animal shelter!

commonwealth was just one of the first i came across
there's: ANZ, bank of queensland, and others- i just can't remember them right now.

and if you think o-chem at 8 am is bad, wait until neurophysiology at 8:30am four days a week ;)

So it seems that this message post has gone to a stand still. That's a bummer! I think I've made my decision to NOT live in the Village South. I found two groups of people I'd like to live with and the second group is closer and it costs less to live with them so I think I'm going for that. Other than that, I've been studying for my thesis defense on December 7th. What is everyone else up to?

How much do you guys spend yearly on books? And how about transportation? I'm going to be living about 10 minutes walking distance from Murdoch so I won't need much money for transportation, but I need to fill out my financial aid award letter and tell them how much I need. I figured I'm tapping out the amount of Stafford loans I can get but I'm just wondering how much more than the $45K do I really need? I figured rent + utilities + groceries + transportation (if necessary)... am I missing anything?

How much do you guys spend yearly on books? And how about transportation? I'm going to be living about 10 minutes walking distance from Murdoch so I won't need much money for transportation, but I need to fill out my financial aid award letter and tell them how much I need. I figured I'm tapping out the amount of Stafford loans I can get but I'm just wondering how much more than the $45K do I really need? I figured rent + utilities + groceries + transportation (if necessary)... am I missing anything?

You looking at the $110/wk place in Bibra Lake? If so, nice set of people to live with.

Yearly spend on books is WAAAY less than back home. I think you might be looking at $300 for the year and that is probably an overestimate. You don't really have to buy textbooks over here. Instead you buy course readers for about $40/class. There are some books that may be helpful like an anatomy books (dyce) but for the most part you can check them out from the library. I bought a lot of books and had some shipped over that I already had, but I haven't really looked at them that much. I think the two books I used most imply because I learn better from reading is Miller's dissection of the dog and Cunningham's veterinary physiology. Other than that, probably shouldn't have bought a thing.

Don't forget about mobile phone costs over here (figure about $40/mo)

Honestly to get you started over here I'd be inclined to recc taking out the full amount available to you, then at least you have it if you need it. You can always take out less the following semester if need be. But you don't want to get over here and find yourself running short. People almost always seem to underbudget over here to start as well, especially for any potential startup costs like bedroom supplies, mobile phone, etc.

We've been in the middle of exams over here so that's why we went quiet. Just had our practical exam today in equine/cattle/pigs and now I'm hopefully done for good with LA for the semester! (Hopefully this semester is not going to be my first for supplemental exams)!

Oh, other banks over here are WestPac, BankWest, Police & Nurses Credit Union, Commonwealth Bank in addition to the ANZ and Bank of Queensland already mentioned.

WestPac has a reciprocal agreement with Bank Of America (I think still anyhow) where you can use their ATMs for free and get money out from the US without extra charges. A bonus with ANZ is that they will let international students get out a debit card (with a visa logo) otherwise you can't really buy things online here without using a US bank card.

Also once you get over here and get your accounts set up, if you need to transfer money back to the US the best way is to use a currency trading service like XE trade. You get better conversion rates and aren't charged a $30 wire fee on both ends of the trade (it's free basically). It's a pain and quite detailed to get set up but definitely worth the effort in saved $$$.

Good luck on the thesis

Hi, I haven't been accepted to Murdoch........yet. I am eagerly waiting to hear back and trying to be as prepared as possible so that if/when I do I will be ready to make all the necessary arrangements.

I figured rent + utilities + groceries + transportation (if necessary)... am I missing anything?

What about health insurance? I have heard that health insurance for the entire duration of your student visa must be paid up front. Is that how it works? If so, about how much is it and what is included? How is the healthcare in Australia compared to in America?

Nexx,

I didn't get an email about a $110/wk place in Bibra Lake...?

That's awesome that books aren't as costly (if used at all) in Murdoch. I barely purchased any books for my grad program here as well, which is a nice change. When in undergrad I just bought books from half.com for cheap. I may have to refer back to the last message once I'm over there because buying books to bring may be silly and just buying them while there may make more sense. It's extra baggage weight after all.

What's LA? And what are supplemental exams?

It's good to know that there are options about banks and having money from US to Australia not being a huge hassle. I'm just wondering... when I get my loan money, I'm assuming they take out what they need and then transfer it to my bank. Do I need to set up an Australian bank account before I'm rewarded the money or will it go to my U.S. account? I have Wells Fargo right now and I'm guessing they don't have a branch in Australia.

As for expenses, they're offering me $55K just in PLUS loans and I just don't see myself needing that much in addition to the $20,500 that I get from Stafford. I started to calculate a budget last night and I designated $24.5K for rest of tuition, $115/wk (x52) for housing, $40/wk (x52) for utilities (not sure if that's overpriced but whatever), $200/mo. (x12) for groceries (too low?), $40/mo. (x12) for phone... that's about $$35K. That's why I don't know if I need $55K. Maybe you're right though... I'd rather have too much loan money than not enough. I wasn't supposed to get loan money this last academic year (I filled out my FAFSA the last day it was due for the "just in case" worry that I have sometimes) and it proved itself to be worthwhile since I now have flights, student visa, renewing of passport, etc. to pay for.

Thank you for the thesis congrats. Congrats to you for (almost?) completing another year!

What's LA? And what are supplemental exams?...

As for expenses, they're offering me $55K just in PLUS loans and I just don't see myself needing that much in addition to the $20,500 that I get from Stafford.

I'll butt in, since I'm treading water here waiting for exam results :)

LA = large animal. Supplemental exams (aka supps) are held a month or two after regular final exams. If you fail any regular final exam, you are usually offered a supp, which you must pass in order to pass the course. You are only allowed a certain number of supps each year.

Absolutely take all the loan money you are offered. I say this for several reasons:

1) As a hedge against exchange rate fluctuations. Once your school administration sets a figure in Australian dollars, they may not change even if the value of the US dollar drops, so if you get multiple disbursements each year, you may end up with less money in Australian dollars than you need. This can leave you short of money for rent, food and other necessities. Currently, the AUD/USD rate is very high -- hopefully it won't go up further, but you never know.

2) For an emergency fund. In the early years at Massey, financial aid was disorganized to say the least. There were a couple of semesters where we didn't get loan money until the end of the semester (Massey has since cleaned up its act). From what I've read about Murdoch, this is not unheard of currently. You want to always have some money in reserve so that you can cover basic expenses for a few months if need be.

3) For summer and travel. You won't get living expenses for summer, and you will still have to pay rent, plus you'll need money to get to your practical work sites and to feed yourself.

4) If Australia is similar to New Zealand (and almost all the banks in NZ are Australian-owned), you can park your extra loan money in a savings account earning 4% interest.

laurafinn,

You have a good idea and I'll trust your judgement so I'm going to take out the maximum amount I'm allowed. It makes sense that I'll be doing a lot of traveling and having a money stash to tap into is a good idea. Thank you for your recommendations!

Laura pretty much covered everything :)

Pretty much I'm hoping I didn't fail an exam (and therefore likely the course since exams this semester are about 70% of our grade) and have to retake an exam when I'm supposed to be in India. I'm pretty sure I didn't but you never know ;)

Jazz, things might have changed but I didn't pay my entire health insurance up front. I paid for a years worth (which I think is the minimum). The school recommended paying up front for the full 5 years because you typically get a better insurance rate (since costs rise every year). But right now the exchange rate might one day go back down and then you end up paying less still (a gamble of course). Further to that I didn't have the cash right up front to pay it all. I think I bought insurance 3 times to cover my stay over here. It's a condition of your visa that you have health cover so any lapse has the potential to get you in big trouble. Once you get acceptance you can check with the university to find out for sure if you can only pay a years worth if need be at the start.

i'm 99% sure i had to pay for all five years oshc (overseas student health care). i don't recall being given an option. however, that was a year ago, and at the time of payment i was signing papers left and right and practically giving money to everyone that asked (murdoch, aus govt, pet transport), so my memory of that period may be a little fuzzy...

as for the bank situation, i would assume murdoch can do imts (international money transfers). however, i wouldn't bet on it happening in a timely fashion

the thing to remember is no money will be released until class starts. so you have time to get here, find a bank, and set up an account before you need to worry about where the cash will end up.

another something to remember:
DON'T rely on them, or your award money, during your first few weeks here. I know the new system is supposed to work, and work fast. But be prepared for murdoch to work out any unforeseen kinks during the initial stages.

and i have a mastercard logo on my commonwealth debit card. just sayin'
;)

one final to go!

i'm 99% sure i had to pay for all five years oshc (overseas student health care). i don't recall being given an option. however, that was a year ago, and at the time of payment i was signing papers left and right and practically giving money to everyone that asked (murdoch, aus govt, pet transport), so my memory of that period may be a little fuzzy...

Yeah they told me I had to pay it all up front too. But coming up with all that money up front ended up way more difficult for me than I intended with my parents not being able to help me out as much as they originally stated and not too keen on signing a short-term loan from a bank. So I skimped where I could (paying off bills at home before I left, OSHC). So it may sound like you have to pay it all up front, but ask about it and you may not have to.

By all means, don't close your american bank account -- it's good to be able to have money back home if you need it. If you can also have your mail forwarded to your parents or someone back home as well. We've had people over here turned into collections agencies because their loans went into repayment and they didn't know.

Also platelets, I know that Bankwest is ******ed and doesn't allow non perm-residents to get a debit card. Jerks

Oh and Dwyn, sorry it was $140/wk Bibra Lake, I think you've talked to them. I had the price wrong (I just rented to someone recently for $110/week)

Oh and Dwyn, sorry it was $140/wk Bibra Lake, I think you've talked to them. I had the price wrong (I just rented to someone recently for $110/week)

Yeah, I ended up going with the other person who was renting for $115/wk but the person at Bibra Lake, Cat, did in fact contact me and she was my runner up if the first person didn't pan out. I felt really bad declining Cat because she seemed super nice and everyone else in the house seemed to be interesting as well. I know she is part of the student organizations on campus so she said I may see her at O week and I hope, as corny as it sounds, that she'll be my friend regardless of me not living with her. Do you know her personally? I hope she wasn't upset!

Yeah, I ended up going with the other person who was renting for $115/wk but the person at Bibra Lake, Cat, did in fact contact me and she was my runner up if the first person didn't pan out. I felt really bad declining Cat because she seemed super nice and everyone else in the house seemed to be interesting as well. I know she is part of the student organizations on campus so she said I may see her at O week and I hope, as corny as it sounds, that she'll be my friend regardless of me not living with her. Do you know her personally? I hope she wasn't upset!

Yeah I know her personally, heck I probably know whoever else you decided to move in with (unless their a first year -- their year seems to keep to themselves a bit, kind of like most of ours). She wouldn't have taken it personally at all. ;)

The person I decided to move in with is named Xani. I have been meaning to Skype her but I think she finished exams and then went to Sydney so I guess she's busy with being home. I'm not sure. I get nervous when the people I'm supposed to live with fall off the face of the Earth sometimes. heh

Cat seemed like a really cool person. If Xani doesn't work out I may contact Cat again, but hopefully Xani will get back to me soon.

Hey Nexx do you know Xani?

Hey Nexx do you know Xani?

Not by name, but possibly by face ;) Looks like you found someone I don't know! hehe Although since the semester is now ended I can't look at the undergrad photos online and tell you for sure.

How's the preparations for the move coming? and the big speech?

Oh and one of the upcoming things people end up worrying about is getting registered for classes -- definitely don't worry about that until you get over here. Part of O-week is getting registered for your classes and it's not like undergrad where there may not be spots left for you if you register late.

The preparations for moving to Australia are fine. I've gotten my student visa, I renewed my passport, I accepted Murdoch, and I arranged for housing. However, Xani STILL hasn't written me back. It's been almost a week. It's odd... she accepted my facebook friend invite but she hasn't written me back. I'm half tempted to send her a message on facebook and ask her to respond to my emails, but I don't necessarily want to be pushy. I just didn't expect her to take this long to respond back to me. I haven't even started packing, and I won't until I have to move out of my apartment (which just so happens to be at the end of December). I have so much crap going on all at once, I feel so overwhelmed. I'm not going to worry about registering for classes until I get there. I just hope that I get the apartment I want since Xani hasn't written me back. She says she's interested in me but her actions as of late lead me to believe otherwise. Maybe I'm just too paranoid that I'll get to Australia and she'll be like "oh, nevermind! We found someone!". That would suck!

My thesis defense is in one week. I'm nervous as hell. My advisor that's on my thesis committee told me that over our Thanksgiving break that a student failed every section of the defense. I don't even know how you can manage that, but it scares the **** out of me and now I'm in panic mode! I was confident before but now I'm scared! I just hope I pass! Otherwise I may cry, and I'm not one for crying.

Random questions: How is the typical class structured? Meaning, I know there is a final at the end of the semester but I was just wondering how much it reflects your grade, like 30-100%? No one does 100% right? I'm hoping it's only about 30%

Random questions: How is the typical class structured? Meaning, I know there is a final at the end of the semester but I was just wondering how much it reflects your grade, like 30-100%? No one does 100% right? I'm hoping it's only about 30%

:uhno: Hehehe no chance of that! I think the least a final has been worth was 50% of our final grade. On the flip side, the most an exam can be worth is 70% of our grade.

However this semester for example in Production animal we had 3 exams. 2 theory exams worth 35% each, one practical exam worth 20%, and prac classes worth 10% -- essentially our grade was 90% exams in that course.

It is definitely a different setup than the US and takes some adjusting to their grading scale over here. For instance all you need to pass in the course is a 50% or higher. Also in the US you tend to start with 100% and get marked down (on short answer/essay stuff), here it goes the other way, they aren't technically allowed to give negative marks so you start with 0% and work your way up. You'll see when you get here. It was a big stressor for some of the north americans used to getting 80-90% on exams and papers. Things seem to get graded at about 10-15% lower here for similar work. Then again, an "A" starts at 80%

Exams are doable and frankly it would be hard to fail (IMO)unless you were a total slacker or had a life problem (sickness, family, etc). And as mentioned before at the discretion of the unit coordinator should you fail a final exam you may be offered a supplemental exam. If you pass that exam you are given a grade of "P" (Pass) which equates to a 50% and you are allowed to continue within the course.

I think a final being 50% of one's grade is bad enough! Holy hell! The most I've had is a final being 40% of one's grade. What if a person is a bad test taker? Then they're screwed! I'm glad an exam can be worth no more than 70% of one's grade, but still... if one royally screws up then it's inevitable that they have to take that 'supplementary' exam. That is odd that things tend to be graded lower in Australia, but at the same time 80% and above is an A? I can't even fathom that.

I'm glad that it's essentially hard to fail an exam. That makes me feel a lot better. Like now I'm studying for my thesis defense and it's pass/fail and if I fail then I have to re-take the oral defense within 12 months of the first defense or re-take the defense by taking an exam. I just hope I pass. One of the professors on my thesis committee said it's not like if you don't pass then you don't get your degree. Thank God for that! I hate huge exams. I also work myself up and do not as well on them as I could because I work myself up. It's a self-fulfilled prophecy I guess. Oh, and so are you saying that in the end you may essentially just need above a 50% in the class to pass? Is that what you're saying?

I may or may not be taking time out the first year of veterinary school at Murdoch because I may potentially have interviews for U.S. vet schools. I'm assuming that Murdoch professors probably don't want to hear that so I may just say I have to go home for a family emergency. Ideally I'd like to get into a U.S. school because the cost would be less and it's only 4 years instead of 5. I like the prospect of living in Australia for 5 years but going that long without seeing my family/friends seems easy now but it may be a bit trying on me later. I wonder how many credits would transfer back if I did hypothetically get accepted to a vet program in the U.S.? Has anyone at Murdoch ever transferred to a U.S. school?

Oh, and so are you saying that in the end you may essentially just need above a 50% in the class to pass? Is that what you're saying?

Yep, you just need a 50% (or higher) overall to continue on. The people I have known to have failed (as in repeated a year, and failed the supplemental exam too) are either really slack (these guys usually just get booted from the program), have had medical conditions, or have had some sort of family emergency.

I may or may not be taking time out the first year of veterinary school at Murdoch because I may potentially have interviews for U.S. vet schools. I'm assuming that Murdoch professors probably don't want to hear that so I may just say I have to go home for a family emergency. Ideally I'd like to get into a U.S. school because the cost would be less and it's only 4 years instead of 5. I like the prospect of living in Australia for 5 years but going that long without seeing my family/friends seems easy now but it may be a bit trying on me later. I wonder how many credits would transfer back if I did hypothetically get accepted to a vet program in the U.S.? Has anyone at Murdoch ever transferred to a U.S. school?

Just play it by ear. They are pretty understanding of things over here.

So I guess vet school in Australia isn't as hard as vet school in the U.S. then, I take it. Do you know of people in vet schools in the U.S.? I just imagined that it was 4 years of pure Hell where you have no social life at all.

Since I've been studying for my thesis defense my social life has pretty much been nonexistent so I imagine that vet school will be the same as the month I've been living. I just cannot freaking wait until Tuesday when I defend. I just want to have fun again!

Also, I just found out that the washer/dryer situation in my house I'll be moving into has a washer but no dryer. Is there any place close by campus that has a dryer? I can't believe there's no dryer where I'm going to be living!