Murdoch acceptances, C/O 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drbooge2be

Murdoch - BVMS - c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and congrats on your acceptance! I am starting this thread in attempt to get people who have been accepted for Fall 2011 (Feb.) to come together and meet or get to know one another before we get there. Feel free to post your personal acceptance experience, or any useful information you have obtained about financial aid, visas, etc. Also tell us a little about yourself so we can see the diversification of the class.

I am a US student, from Louisiana (specifically New Orleans area) and I graduated from LSU with an animal science degree. I recently got married in May and work at a small animal hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Drbooge2be! Congrats on getting into Murdoch, I hear it's a great uni. I go to UQ so many thousands of km's away on the other side of the country..

Btw, February is summer and we don't have a "fall", it's called autumn, nothing actually "falls" here, it's too hot or the trees aren't those kind of trees where all their leaves change colour and fall off :p

Hey Drbooge2be! Congrats on getting into Murdoch, I hear it's a great uni. I go to UQ so many thousands of km's away on the other side of the country..

Btw, February is summer and we don't have a "fall", it's called autumn, nothing actually "falls" here, it's too hot or the trees aren't those kind of trees where all their leaves change colour and fall off :p

Lol, thanks for the clear up. I guess I called it "fall" cause that's what we call the first semester here And idk anyone who says autumn. You said February is summer? I thought it was fall or autumn and then June-august is winter then oct- dec is summer? Idk, I guess I might be confused. It doesn't matter anyways, Im still going! And yes queensland is very far away. Me and my mom were discussing plane flights and she said " oh, well when you land in Melbourne just have someone drive you to Perth" ...I said..uh sure. BTW it's a weeks drive.. She thought those cities were like an hr apart.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, well you could drive to Perth from Melbourne.. it's not impossible! It sucks that it costs more to go from one side of AU to the other than it costs to go to SE Asia/NZ

For the seasons..
Dec/Jan/Feb is Summer
Mar/Apr/May is Autumn
Jun/Jul/Aug is Winter
Sep/Oct/Nov is Spring :)

Although seasons here aren't really very seasony.. At least over here. It's the 3rd day of spring and it's already 30degrees at Gatton!

I know there are a few Murdoch people on here though, they should pipe in soon enough!

Although seasons here aren't really very seasony.. At least over here. It's the 3rd day of spring and it's already 30degrees at Gatton!

Its important to remember that that's just Queensland, NT and northern WA that are like that! Perth very much has all 4 seasons, although if you are from somewhere that actually gets cold (re:snows) you will not find perth winters hard at all!

(Everyone in australia calls it autumn. You call it fall, and well... we definately know you're from america ;))

But welcome to Murdoch! It is a fabulous school with a very tight knit community and fabulous teachers. I'm sure you will love it here :)

(Everyone in australia calls it autumn. You call it fall, and well... we definately know you're from america ;))

But welcome to Murdoch! It is a fabulous school with a very tight knit community and fabulous teachers. I'm sure you will love it here :)

Lol. Yes I'm sure ya'll would very easily recognize that I'm from America, between my southern accent, my vocabulary difference, and the fact that I would probably get super excited if I saw a kangaroo or a dingo, or anything else that's native to Aussie..I would stick out like a sore thumb. =) But yes I am VERY excited to be coming! (my mom..not so much =) ) I've always wanted to go to Aussie since I was little, and the fact that I get to LIVE there is AMAZING. The only thing that worries me slightly is I hope I'll be able to understand the teachers, I would assume their accents aren't terribly overpowering. And hopefully I'll win the lottery so I can manage to pay for all this vet school stuff..hehe..

Its important to remember that that's just Queensland, NT and northern WA that are like that! Perth very much has all 4 seasons, although if you are from somewhere that actually gets cold (re:snows) you will not find perth winters hard at all!

True, I just looked at BOM and Perth is still having sub 10 degree nights! wow! I thought Perth was similar to Brisbane weather?

The only thing that worries me slightly is I hope I'll be able to understand the teachers, I would assume their accents aren't terribly overpowering.

I don't think it will be too bad, theres not many people who have really strong Australian accents anymore, it's definitely noticeable that it's an Australian accent but not the the really tangy accent you often hear in movies. But then again we have a new feline medicine vet from Ohio state university and he is quite hard for us to understand, but he is very good! By the time we've all giggled and got over him saying doo-aaad-de-nom instead of duo-dee-num he's gone 5 slides and we're all lost..

True, I just looked at BOM and Perth is still having sub 10 degree nights! wow! I thought Perth was similar to Brisbane weather?

Uh, not at all. More like sydney. The weather you described only applies to the country north of brisbane, where maybe 15% of the population live... :p

we have a new feline medicine vet from Ohio state university and he is quite hard for us to understand, but he is very good! By the time we've all giggled and got over him saying doo-aaad-de-nom instead of duo-dee-num he's gone 5 slides and we're all lost..[/QUOTE]

that's funny that you mention that because I would think him saying "doo-aaad-de-nom" is normal..lol..thats how i was told to say it too! Although I have heard people say "duo-dee-dum" as well so I wouldn't be terribly surprised by the pronunciation.

Hello, I recently applied to Murdoch and am eagerly waiting for an acceptance offer.

Anyone else apply to Murdoch and receive any news yet? or is anyone still waiting?

Yes, I found out the last week of October that I got accepted. Sydney offered me their first offer in the 2nd week of October. They told me I have one month to decide.

Congratulations Hawaii! Did you get your offers by phone, email, or mail?

Emailed acceptance on October 27th. I applied through VMCAS and submitted the last week of September. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I found out the last week of October that I got accepted. Sydney offered me their first offer in the 2nd week of October. They told me I have one month to decide.

Yeah, I got accepted too. I just am freaking out because I'm not sure if I can afford to go. And I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but the International Liaison doesn't seem to be getting back to me asap about financial aid and stuff.

I don't know about Murdoch's finaid department but Tatjana at U of Syd finaid was very helpful, got my stafford and gradplus loans processed in one week and I get my first dispersment check Jan 28th so I can use them for moving expenses.

Unfortunately Dayna at Murdoch International can get a bit distracted at times. Right now I know she is dealing with the disbursement of international student loans that were supposed to be disbursed at the beginning of the semester (final start in a week!) -- there's been a bit of drama with the new changeover of the US loan system and getting the required governmental logins/pw/etc.

Anyhow you may want to give the international office a call as you might have better luck than by email -- and try not to call around 12:30-1:30EST as I think that's when they take lunch usually.

I need to go see Dayna on Monday so if you want to PM me your name/email address I can let her know you are waiting on an email response from her.

Unfortunately Dayna at Murdoch International can get a bit distracted at times. Right now I know she is dealing with the disbursement of international student loans that were supposed to be disbursed at the beginning of the semester (final start in a week!) -- there's been a bit of drama with the new changeover of the US loan system and getting the required governmental logins/pw/etc.

Anyhow you may want to give the international office a call as you might have better luck than by email -- and try not to call around 12:30-1:30EST as I think that's when they take lunch usually.

I need to go see Dayna on Monday so if you want to PM me your name/email address I can let her know you are waiting on an email response from her.

Yeah I had to actually email her boss because I got the acceptance email and you get 4 weeks before you decide and considering it'd been a week since I initially emailed her then I emailed her boss essentially saying that she's not responding to my emails and that I needed financial aid help ASAP.

That being said, I have no idea if I can even afford this school. I got accepted and I accepted the offer but at the same time, there's a maximum amount that any one person can take from the U.S. Department of Education and I'm already halfway through that point thanks to undergrad and grad school. I'm scared that I'm going to get over there and I won't be able to take out the funding necessary to complete the degree. I did the entrance counseling and updated my FAFSA and everything to include Murdoch but I'm scared. How the heck do students pay for vet school if there's a cap of $138,500 and lots of vet schools would suck up that before the end of a student's degree? :scared:

Yeah I had to actually email her boss because I got the acceptance email and you get 4 weeks before you decide and considering it'd been a week since I initially emailed her then I emailed her boss essentially saying that she's not responding to my emails and that I needed financial aid help ASAP.

That being said, I have no idea if I can even afford this school. I got accepted and I accepted the offer but at the same time, there's a maximum amount that any one person can take from the U.S. Department of Education and I'm already halfway through that point thanks to undergrad and grad school. I'm scared that I'm going to get over there and I won't be able to take out the funding necessary to complete the degree. I did the entrance counseling and updated my FAFSA and everything to include Murdoch but I'm scared. How the heck do students pay for vet school if there's a cap of $138,500 and lots of vet schools would suck up that before the end of a student's degree? :scared:

Just let me know if you ever need me to pop in there, I'm happy to give them a push every now and then.

As far as loan limits, US medical programs allow you to take out more than what is listed ($224,000). Don't think that counts for over here as US students can take out pretty much full tuition/living in staffords. Over here you take out the staffords and GradPLUS loans.

If you have roughly have the amount of Staffords already used up that means you would probably just have to take roughly another $40k out in GradPLUS loans to cover the remainder of your time here. Not ideal but it beats taking out private loans and doesn't require someone to cosign.

There are ways to shrink your loan burden (live-in vet positions, getting exempted from some courses if possible, work, live really cheaply, not going back home a lot, etc) but paying back loans is a big headache as you are obviously aware of. The question for you is whether or not the experience is worth it, whether waiting to enter a US vet school is worth it (how many app cycles? Starting now allows you to start earning better wages sooner).

Good luck and congrats to everyone accepted so far.

Just let me know if you ever need me to pop in there, I'm happy to give them a push every now and then.

As far as loan limits, US medical programs allow you to take out more than what is listed ($224,000). Don't think that counts for over here as US students can take out pretty much full tuition/living in staffords. Over here you take out the staffords and GradPLUS loans.

If you have roughly have the amount of Staffords already used up that means you would probably just have to take roughly another $40k out in GradPLUS loans to cover the remainder of your time here. Not ideal but it beats taking out private loans and doesn't require someone to cosign.

There are ways to shrink your loan burden (live-in vet positions, getting exempted from some courses if possible, work, live really cheaply, not going back home a lot, etc) but paying back loans is a big headache as you are obviously aware of. The question for you is whether or not the experience is worth it, whether waiting to enter a US vet school is worth it (how many app cycles? Starting now allows you to start earning better wages sooner).

Good luck and congrats to everyone accepted so far.

Oh Nexx, you've been such a huge help and have lifted my spirits. I was so afraid that I'd have to decline their offer (even after accepting) because of money.

How do you know about the $224,000 thing? I even called the Federal Student Aid Customer Service number and they told me the cap is $138,500 so I'm curious to know where you got that information from. I know I am disclosing personal information in here, but if it helps me to get my degree at Murdoch then whatever! So yeah.. why couldn't I get the $224,000 even when I'm going to a AVMA accredited institution?

Also, I already have a Bachelor of Science and this semester I'm defending my thesis to get my Master's degree in Biology so I'll have two degrees under my belt for when I go to veterinary school at Murdoch. I'd like to think I can get Advanced Standing and I told the lady that offered me acceptance that I most definitely wanted to be considered for it because of that. Also, I live pretty modestly as it is. I find the cheapest place I can find and for goodness sakes, my "curtains" in my current apartment are bed sheets tacked up! I don't spend a lot of money on myself at all! I also hope to work the 20 hours at some job (maybe a librarian?) so that I can get some cash for while I'm living in Australia, but I have to get the acceptance thing to apply for my student visa. And as for going home a lot, the ONLY way I'd go home is if my parents paid for it since they already told me they wouldn't visit me (great parents, right? heh). My dad refuses to go out of the U.S., but whatever -- his loss!

I'm okay with paying back loans whenever the time comes. I'm just scared that I won't have the ability to take out the loans I need. It would be horrible that people tell me to pursue my dreams and when I actually achieve my ONE life goal of becoming a veterinarian I have to decline because I can't get the loans for it. That would... destroy me.

How do you know about the $224,000 thing? I even called the Federal Student Aid Customer Service number and they told me the cap is $138,500 so I'm curious to know where you got that information from. I know I am disclosing personal information in here, but if it helps me to get my degree at Murdoch then whatever! So yeah.. why couldn't I get the $224,000 even when I'm going to a AVMA accredited institution?

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp -- It's in the third paragraph below the chart.

That same paragraph also leads me to believe that the increased loan limit is only tied in with the increased amount available to be taken out each semester in student loans within the US.

As for availability based on being an AVMA accred program, I don't know why it isn't exactly. I know a year or two ago one of the former upperclassman was working finding out if it was possible for us to get it, but it stalled for some reason. It was with a different aid officer (no longer there) and before the new financial aid reform so maybe I will see if they can check on it again. It won't help me really but it may help others.

Also, there is no limit to the amount you can borrow from GradPLUS. That is, the $138k/$224k limits are not applicable to these types of loans. GradPLUS allows you to borrow up to the full cost of attendance (minus any other aid). So you will definitely have access to money.

As for advanced standing, look over the unit list. I know it's possible to get out of at least 2-3 classes still for most people. They are making it harder (not on purpose--I don't think ha!) since they combine classes (immunology combined with quantitative genetics, biochem combined with ruminant nutrition section) -- Once you do that, make sure to get a hold of or save your course syllabus, course description from Uni hanbook (online?), and as much other info as you can to present your case to each unit coordinator over here.

Getting a work visa over here is pretty easy, pretty much just a matter of paying the fee once you have your student visa -- when I started you had to wait until the 2nd or 3rd week of classes to even be eligible to get it which is fair enough while you get settled in and adjust. Jobs do pay really well over here, especially when the dollar is on parity with the USD -- but at the same time that is REALLY unfortunate for loan disbursement.

Nexx,

When you go in and talk to Dayna I'd sincerely appreciate it if you could ask about the $224K thing. If it's too late to ask, that's fine too. I can ask her when she talks to me about financial aid specifics. She just emailed me back a couple hours ago about letting me know my dispersement eligibilities and I emailed her back saying how I sent her my financial aid application form but I also updated my FAFSA to include Murdoch University and I printed out my loan history and I think she may get that information when my report is sent to her from Federal Student Aid. I could very well be wrong in that they will send her that information since I updated my FAFSA, but hopefully I'm right.

Thank you so much for all your help. You truly have helped to put the silver lining on my clouds, even when the representatives at Murdoch haven't been as... I don't know, hasty in their responses? And that also includes the roundabout ways that FAFSA people have been answering my questions. They didn't even tell me about the $224K thing whatsoever and when I tried to talk to them about my loans specifically they told me they couldn't help me. And the automated voice message system doesn't exactly help either but just directs me to a website. So needless to say, I've been a little lost and frazzled for the longest time!

Seeing as I just went through this last week with my finaid advisor at Sydney...

Australian Universities do NOT qualify for the extra stafford loan amounts and max limits due to the course being considered a graduate course for US students (not a medical school course). Therefore, we only qualify for the graduate school 20,500 max stafford loan per year, plus the entire cost of tuition and living in GradPlus (I qualified for 62,000 grad Plus loans). Believe me, I asked...but she said as of now, we do not qualify for the extra 20,000 in unsubsidized loans, only the US med/vet med schools do and I believe the U of Melbourne does now, since they changed their degree to DVM instead of B.V.Sc.

As for the work visa, Australia immigration now combines your student visa with a 20 hour per week work permit so you do not have to fill out anything different except your student visa :)

Getting a response back on the higher loan limit isn't likely to happen before you get over here, but I'll ask her and get things started.

In the meantime, save your Student Aid Report (SAR) as a PDF document--should be about 8 pages. You can login to FAFSA once they finalize your changes and do this. Then email that to Dayna as well. In previous years they were not able to electronically get access to the FAFSA information. I think this has changed but there is no harm in emailing it to her.

Also if she has given you your award amounts you can then head on over to studentloan.gov, apply for your stafford loans (err I think now is just signing an MPN) and apply for your GradPLUS loans. Even if she hasn't given you your award letter you are able to do this. I usually do this every year and apply for $60,000. This is way more than I've ever gotten and eligible for, but it covered any changes in exchange rate and is simply altered by the university to be the correct 'certified' amount (usually $35k-45k) for the year. Also make sure to do your MPN for the GradPLUS stuff to.

Once all that is complete it really is just a matter of Dayna processing everything which is (in the past anyhow) done so you have money relatively close to the beginning of classes.

Seeing as I just went through this last week with my finaid advisor at Sydney...

Australian Universities do NOT qualify for the extra stafford loan amounts and max limits due to the course being considered a graduate course for US students (not a medical school course). Therefore, we only qualify for the graduate school 20,500 max stafford loan per year, plus the entire cost of tuition and living in GradPlus (I qualified for 62,000 grad Plus loans). Believe me, I asked...but she said as of now, we do not qualify for the extra 20,000 in unsubsidized loans, only the US med/vet med schools do and I believe the U of Melbourne does now, since they changed their degree to DVM instead of B.V.Sc.

As for the work visa, Australia immigration now combines your student visa with a 20 hour per week work permit so you do not have to fill out anything different except your student visa :)

Wow, I cannot believe that the AVMA acknowledges it and yet the U.S. government does not. Seriously... wtf? Why else would students be going over there if it's not an accredited school? And hopefully if U of Melbourne qualifies for the extra $20,000 then hopefully Murdoch will do so too. But then again, I don't know if vet schools talk to each other or not.

That is good that I can work a part-time job while doing my studies in Australia. Do you think that the material is so challenging that a person wouldn't be able to handle a part-time job while in veterinary school? I ask because when I think about vet school in the U.S. and having a part-time job on the side I think about how I would NOT have the time to do so since the academics are so tough.

Getting a response back on the higher loan limit isn't likely to happen before you get over here, but I'll ask her and get things started.

In the meantime, save your Student Aid Report (SAR) as a PDF document--should be about 8 pages. You can login to FAFSA once they finalize your changes and do this. Then email that to Dayna as well. In previous years they were not able to electronically get access to the FAFSA information. I think this has changed but there is no harm in emailing it to her.

Also if she has given you your award amounts you can then head on over to studentloan.gov, apply for your stafford loans (err I think now is just signing an MPN) and apply for your GradPLUS loans. Even if she hasn't given you your award letter you are able to do this. I usually do this every year and apply for $60,000. This is way more than I've ever gotten and eligible for, but it covered any changes in exchange rate and is simply altered by the university to be the correct 'certified' amount (usually $35k-45k) for the year. Also make sure to do your MPN for the GradPLUS stuff to.

Once all that is complete it really is just a matter of Dayna processing everything which is (in the past anyhow) done so you have money relatively close to the beginning of classes.

Nexx,

Do you know how long it'll take FAFSA to finalize the changes so that I can print out my Student Aid Report (SAR)? Will they send me an email or anything or do I have to just keep checking online?

I did sign a Master Promissory Note when I completed my Entrance Counseling this last weekend for Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loans and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford/Ford Loans. I guess I have to do it again for the GradPLUS loans? Do I wait to do this after I see my updated SAR or should I do it sooner?

From what I understand is has nothing to do with accreditation, but the degree name itself. A B.V.Sc. is an undergraduate degree in Australia (even though its a US equivalent DVM degree), a DVM is a medical/graduate degree in Australia. Based on the degree name alone, only Melbourne qualifies for the Federal medical loan as well as a different visa where their spouse or defacto partner is allowed to work full time instead of the limited 20 hours a week. It is the thought that most Australian and UK universities might soon follow suite and change their medical degree titles as Melbourne did, but others think it is just a ploy to increase tuition since in Australia, a Doctorate usually requires 8-10 years of study in one subject, not just a bachelors degree in one thing, and a masters or something in another subject.

From what I understand is has nothing to do with accreditation, but the degree name itself. A B.V.Sc. is an undergraduate degree in Australia (even though its a US equivalent DVM degree), a DVM is a medical/graduate degree in Australia. Based on the degree name alone, only Melbourne qualifies for the Federal medical loan as well as a different visa where their spouse or defacto partner is allowed to work full time instead of the limited 20 hours a week. It is the thought that most Australian and UK universities might soon follow suite and change their medical degree titles as Melbourne did, but others think it is just a ploy to increase tuition since in Australia, a Doctorate usually requires 8-10 years of study in one subject, not just a bachelors degree in one thing, and a masters or something in another subject.

Well that's kind of dumb, but I guess I don't make the rules. So there is a DVM that's called a DVM in Australia? I just was under the impression that there is no pre-law, pre-med, pre-vet degrees like our bachelor's degrees in the U.S. and after high school the Aussies go for their actualy law/med/vet/etc. degrees and after 5 years they are that profession. Like no separation of pre-law and law school like there is in the U.S.. Or am I incorrect? I studied abroad in Perth for a semester and I met some people that were in the law program, or at least that's what I thought?

If I would have known that the two schools faced the same topic that much differently, I perhaps would have applied to Melbourne and Murdoch just to see where I got in first. I cannot believe that two schools in the same country approach the same situation SOOOO differently! :(

Hello and congrats on your acceptance! I am starting this thread in attempt to get people who have been accepted for Fall 2011 (Feb.) to come together and meet or get to know one another before we get there. Feel free to post your personal acceptance experience, or any useful information you have obtained about financial aid, visas, etc. Also tell us a little about yourself so we can see the diversification of the class.

I am a US student, from Louisiana (specifically New Orleans area) and I graduated from LSU with an animal science degree. I recently got married in May and work at a small animal hospital.
Geaux Tigers.

Australia does not offer a DVM (except Melbourne) but they do offer a DVS, or other Doctorate programs after about 8 years of study. Melbourne now either offers a 6 year program for out of highschoolers making them pretty much do 2 years worth of prereqs, or the 4 year DVM program for those who have already done the prereqs and have a bachelor's degree in science from somewhere else. They only started it THIS YEAR, prior to that its been the B.V.Sc. degree like all the other schools. Yes it does suck for international students that only Melbourne has found the loopful for FAFSA, but what can you do, the degrees are still equivalent at least. There is only about a 1% difference in interest for Stafford Vs. GradPlus, so at least it's not tooo alarming having to do the 20,000 extra in GradPlus vs. Stafford. I did not apply to Melbourne because I have B.A. in Psych and Business, not a B.S., so I would have had to do the 6 year route....NO THANK YOU.

Hey when does Murdoch University's semester end? The website that shows the academic calendar, http://www.murdoch.edu.au/admin/dates/2011.html, is REALLY confusing and I don't even know which column applies to me! I need to know this so that my student visa doesn't end before the end of the academic year.

The year for 2011 ends (including final exams) by the 28th of November (the week prior is week 2 of final exams).

This is pretty much standard for every year since I've been here so far.

BTW, the first column applies to you - S1 = semester 1, S2 = Semester 2, WT/ST = Winter Term/Summer term (these does not apply to you)
Anywhere it says "break" or "study" you have a week off from classes to study. "assess" is for assessment weeks (aka exams)

The year for 2011 ends (including final exams) by the 28th of November (the week prior is week 2 of final exams).

This is pretty much standard for every year since I've been here so far.

BTW, the first column applies to you - S1 = semester 1, S2 = Semester 2, WT/ST = Winter Term/Summer term (these does not apply to you)
Anywhere it says "break" or "study" you have a week off from classes to study. "assess" is for assessment weeks (aka exams)

That's the end of the academic year? Wow, that is so different than in the States. Okay, I just wanted to check so that I can finalize my student visa ASAP! I know how long those can take to get to people. So is it safe to say that I'd be there from about the end of January 2011 to the end of December 2016?

Yeah those dates will be fine. In the end the universities submission is what determines your visa length (I think/if I recall correctly). I know my student visa is good until March of 2012 and I don't recall what, if anything I entered.

If it asks for program dates, stick to what should be written in your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) that you obtained from the school

I think the standard is to give you a few months leeway on the end as they don't expect you to pack up and move on the last day of classes.

Awesome. I applied for my student visa today so hopefully, if all goes according to plan, it'll get here before January. I'd like to think it'll get here before then but I remember visas taking several weeks to receive. Also, it says that just because I purchased a visa doesn't mean I'll necessarily get it. I have to wait for confirmation from Australia I guess.

On another note, I got an interview for Royal Veterinary College in London. I don't know if I should even bother with the interview (yet again, more money I would be using that I don't have) but at the same time I think it's cheaper than Murdoch (20,290 British Pound Sterling versus $45,000 AUD just for tuition alone). What do you guys recommend? I want to keep my options open but I also know I've invested a lot of time, energy, and money to Murdoch already with accepting the offer ($$$), getting a student visa ($$), finding housing ($), etc.

So I got the housing approval at Murdoch University Village. Is that within walking distance from the school? It says "Campus Living Villages" but I just wanted clarification.

Also, I calculated the total cost of living at the University Village and it's hella expensive. Living from early February to late November is $6240 and that doesn't even include food. Is there a place that I can find that's cheaper? Plus, where would I live the months that I'm not in class?

And has anyone lived in the University Village before or know someone who is or has lived there? I understand that it's like a suite situation where everyone has their own room but then there's a shared bathroom/living room/kitchen. Are kitchen appliances and bathroom stuff like shower curtains supplied? Or do we have to bring stuff ourselves? :confused:

So I got the housing approval at Murdoch University Village. Is that within walking distance from the school? It says "Campus Living Villages" but I just wanted clarification.

Also, I calculated the total cost of living at the University Village and it's hella expensive. Living from early February to late November is $6240 and that doesn't even include food. Is there a place that I can find that's cheaper? Plus, where would I live the months that I'm not in class?

And has anyone lived in the University Village before or know someone who is or has lived there? I understand that it's like a suite situation where everyone has their own room but then there's a shared bathroom/living room/kitchen. Are kitchen appliances and bathroom stuff like shower curtains supplied? Or do we have to bring stuff ourselves? :confused:

I'd recommend avoiding the village like the plague. I haven't heard of one overseas student who liked living there. It's not necc that it's a horrible/disgusting place to live -- it's just expensive for what you get and well most international students are older and are a bit beyond living in a dorm situation.

There should be plenty of places to room with people who have share houses, whether it is with other students or not. I'm living with two other students currently. My portion of the rent is $475/mo ($110/week) + $25 elec/mo + $15/mo gas + $20/mo internet

As to RVC or not, the money is probably a wash because it entirely depends on the exchange rates. When I came over here the GBP was 2x the value of the USD and the AUD was 3/4 the value. Hard to say what the future might bring -- basically this choice is a gamble (which is why there are currency traders making/losing a fortune every day). So IMO your choice is really down to the program, the location, money already spent and there probably is no wrong choice.

Nexx,

Yeah, I figured as much. I figured it'd be like a dorm situation and I really didn't like that situation. The people did say that they have Grad housing for older students, which I would be placed in. I definitely specified that multiple times when they offered me the single. I agree though, it's really expensive. The problem is that I don't know anyone to have established a friendship enough to feel comfortable rooming with someone. I don't know if they have an Australian Craigslist or something for people looking for a roommate. I just want to find the most inexpensive way to live in Australia. That, and a place on or close to campus since I won't have a car (or any form of transport for that matter). I remember the busing system being relatively on time when I studied abroad in Perth in the past at UWA, but I don't know if I want to rely on buses taking me to and from class since they can be late. What do you suggest I do? Do you know of anyone looking for an apartment that we could throw down together? I just want to live with a person or persons who are responsible and in theory studious like myself.

As for Royal Veterinary College in London, they also offer a 5 year program or a 4 year program. I'd apply for the 4 year program if I got in because I already have a B.S. under my belt and this semester I'd defending my thesis for my M.S. in Biology. SO I think I'm relatively well qualified to do a 4 year program.

I also agree that the exchange rate is important. I also am relatively certain that 5 years at Murdoch (~AUD$60,000/yr) will inevitably cost me more than 4 years at RVC though. I'm trying to apply for the Advanced Standing at Murdoch and the person who I was talking to referred me to someone else, so once again I'm not getting the help I need. I don't know... sometimes I just don't know what the "right" choices in life are... sometimes they aren't clearly defined.

I actually moved in with 2 girls I talked to on here + one random classmate when I came over to Murdoch. They went around and viewed a few properties and did most of the leg work so when I got here I went up to the real estate office and just signed the lease. We went for a 6 month lease because we felt if we absolutely hated each other or the situation it was only 6 months!

That's one option is to find a couple international students to do that with, or just signing a 6 month commitment to the village (definitely don't sign on for a year b/c you probably will hate it)

Maybe do the interview at RVC and see what happens?

Just FYI Advanced standing at Murdoch pretty much is easier to do when you get over here and may just cause headaches doing it now. I do understand however it would be nice to know ahead of time. Don't know who's handling them now, posted a message on FB to see if some of the 2nd years know :) -- Used to submit all the paperwork to a guy in the international office who then sent it to the unit coordinators.

I actually moved in with 2 girls I talked to on here + one random classmate when I came over to Murdoch. They went around and viewed a few properties and did most of the leg work so when I got here I went up to the real estate office and just signed the lease. We went for a 6 month lease because we felt if we absolutely hated each other or the situation it was only 6 months!

That's one option is to find a couple international students to do that with, or just signing a 6 month commitment to the village (definitely don't sign on for a year b/c you probably will hate it)

Maybe do the interview at RVC and see what happens?

Just FYI Advanced standing at Murdoch pretty much is easier to do when you get over here and may just cause headaches doing it now. I do understand however it would be nice to know ahead of time. Don't know who's handling them now, posted a message on FB to see if some of the 2nd years know :) -- Used to submit all the paperwork to a guy in the international office who then sent it to the unit coordinators.

Nexx,

So I have to reply by the the 23rd of November (2 weeks from now) if I want to be housed at the Village. If I am not going to follow through with this place I need to find a different place quickly.

I don't know how lucky I'll be in finding someone else who does the investigating for me and I just kind of move in with them. I would look on the Perth craigslist but I don't really know how close all the places I'd be looking at are to campus and I obviously won't have a car (or bike for that matter) and I can't check out the places myself to see their condition. Do you live on or off campus? And if you live off campus, how do you get to campus?

Do you know of anyone whose lease ends soon? I will need to find a place and start my lease on 3 February at the very latest. Can you tell that I'm frantic? :scared: I'm not used to doing this! And as far as finding other students coming into the program, Anny Lim won't give me the info about other students that have been accepted to the program.

Yeah I was thinking about doing the interview at RVC just to see. I figured that it probably wouldn't hurt (aside from hurting the pocketbook).

Advanced Standing seems to be pretty complicated now. I guess it's so that you have the ability to possibly exempt out of classes which would lower your tuition, but apparently students inevitably have to stay for 5 years. So... I don't know how I feel about that but I'm in the process of creating a Word document showing the classes a Murdoch student has to take and the classes I've taken that I think may possibly equate to that class. Other than that, I don't really know what else to do. The person I've been in correspondence with is Professor David Hampton (I guess they don't call them Dr. over there?). He told me he's new to the position but he's super nice AND super fast at getting back to me, which I thanked him for tremendously!

If you have to reply by the 23rd, I might just then put down for the village for a 6 month stay versus the year. That way you also shouldn't have to rush out and buy a lot of stuff for a house and worry about finding people to live with right away. Save yourself that stress anyhow.

I drive to campus most days but there are a lot of places where you can bus in or ride a bike in. For a craigslist-type site go to perth.gumtree.com.au

I'd gather up some room ads if I had more time at the moment but finals start next monday (blergh...)

Advance standing has always been a bit complex. Yes you can get out of classes but you still end up here all 5 years, just means you get a less hectic semester! There is the option of sometimes taking a class early with approval should you want to.

Anyhow what the process used to be and likely remains is that you need to submit your course syllabus and course description (from the university manual or website). They also like to know what textbook you may have used, what you did in your labs, and what topics you covered. For classes like I mentioned earlier such as Immunology, make sure you address if you have also taken a genetics component (and include that syllabus, etc). If you have taken Biochemistry, also include if you have taken a course in ruminant nutrition with assoc info to back that up. Those are the two classes that are able to be exempted but can be 'difficult' due to their combined status. I've also known people to get exempted from parasitology and microbiology.

Oh, physiology -might- be possible to get out of too, except plan on having done separate coursework in histology.

Also regarding the 'Dr' thing, we pretty much are on a first name basis with all the staff from day 1.

Advanced Standing seems to be pretty complicated now. I guess it's so that you have the ability to possibly exempt out of classes which would lower your tuition, but apparently students inevitably have to stay for 5 years. So... I don't know how I feel about that but I'm in the process of creating a Word document showing the classes a Murdoch student has to take and the classes I've taken that I think may possibly equate to that class. Other than that, I don't really know what else to do. The person I've been in correspondence with is Professor David Hampton (I guess they don't call them Dr. over there?). He told me he's new to the position but he's super nice AND super fast at getting back to me, which I thanked him for tremendously![/QUOTE]

Ugh, I can't believe this is such a headache. I got on the Murdoch Guild website and I've been looking at people that need roommates there, and I've emailed a few people. However, if they don't supply their email address and I try to use the program they have available to email the students through the website, for some reason it tells me that I can't submit an email to them and to turn off my Norton or something. I don't even have Norton so I have no idea wtf it's talking about...

My God, I cannot believe they make it so hard to exempt out of classes. And what International student has that stuff readily available to them? I would have to bring all my binders from all my classes I've ever taken from undergrad and grad school and that alone would take up an entire suitcase! :(

The contract at the Village begins in early February and ends in late November so it's more than 6 months but less than one year. I don't know what to do.... :confused: But yeah, I wouldn't buy a house, I'd just try to room with others that may be going to Murdoch. I guess it's not TOO different than the Village, but if you say that no International student has enjoyed their stay there then I'm a bit apprehensive about living there for 9 months. Plus, what do I do the other 3 months that I don't have a place to live?

Last edited:
They don't purposely make it hard, but due to accreditation and school policies they need to make sure that your course covers the same material that Murdoch goes through :p You don't have to bring all your binders and such. Most things are covered in the syllabus including what you did in labs. Basically the more info you can provide the more likely you are to get out of the class. If you don 't have the syllabus or information from certain courses you may want to see if your professor is still teaching the subject there, or perhaps even have the new instructor email you the current syllabus for the same course. It can be a pain but depending on how many classes you are trying to get out of, you could save $6000 per unit -- worth the leg work (heck even worth paying for extra luggage :p )

For extra help in this matter you can try emailing Claire McNaughton ([email protected]) and have her forward an email out to all students. She may not do it for you since she's been swamped with a lot of emails lately, but it's worth a try. Just write an email saying you are a new student looking for housing starting whenever you are going to get here. Make sure to leave your email and I'm sure if Claire sends it out you should get at least a couple emails back.

Advance standing has always been a bit complex. Yes you can get out of classes but you still end up here all 5 years, just means you get a less hectic semester! There is the option of sometimes taking a class early with approval should you want to.

Anyhow what the process used to be and likely remains is that you need to submit your course syllabus and course description (from the university manual or website). They also like to know what textbook you may have used, what you did in your labs, and what topics you covered. For classes like I mentioned earlier such as Immunology, make sure you address if you have also taken a genetics component (and include that syllabus, etc). If you have taken Biochemistry, also include if you have taken a course in ruminant nutrition with assoc info to back that up. Those are the two classes that are able to be exempted but can be 'difficult' due to their combined status. I've also known people to get exempted from parasitology and microbiology.

Oh, physiology -might- be possible to get out of too, except plan on having done separate coursework in histology.

This is pretty spot on for what people have been exempt from in my year.
I haven't known anyone to be exempt from physiology, and anatomy is definately a no-no - you really need to take these at vet school level.

To my knowledge no-one in my year was granted exemptions for micro - which seems a little weird? But quite a few exemptions were granted for parasitology (I personally think our parasitology course is really interesting, and probably quite different to what you learn in Nth America as so much of it is aimed at parasites that are common in Aus. But I mean, you are also paying a lot per class...) . Immunology was a hard one for people to become exempt from as many had not done sufficient genetics.

Nutrition was a really, really common one for people to get exempt from, as was biochem, for those who had done ruminant nutrition.

But as Nexx said, you're here for 5 years regardless.

If you're looking for room-mates, send out an email to Claire McNaughton. She will email it to the student body. Literally, just email her an ad with all the info you want to put on it, and she will email it through to every vet student in the school.

Her email:
[email protected]

:)

P.S. I loved the village, but I am young (20) but it was RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!! SUCH A RIP OFF!!! ESPECIALLY THESE DAYS!!!

Thank you both for helping me so much. I emailed Claire and she's out of office (didn't say when she was coming back...?) so I emailed Frances DeRousie about housing. I'm really frantic and checking all over -- the Guild Accommodations area, Perth Craigslist, and now this. I just do not want to spend $160/week just to have a horrible first 9 months in wonderful Australia. Who wants that? I'm just giving myself a headache over this because I don't know what the "right" choice is anymore. For all I know, with the Grad Singles the people WOULD be my age and it wouldn't be that bad. They said it's on the south side of the campus. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Are any of you guys a member of the Guild? Every time I try to email a person whose accommodation sounds enticing, it won't let me unless if they post their personal emails on the ad. It says do turn off Norton and refresh, but I don't even use Norton anti-virus so I have no idea what it's talking about. Plus, I tried to use the Guild website to email the people and I can't even do that without "turning off my Norton". This is ridiculous!

I still haven't heard back from Dayna about financial aid. I sent her the forms and I haven't heard from her since then, which was days ago. Did I get the financial aid? When I know? My brain hurts!

And David Hampson said he was going to send my Word document with classes I think equate to classes at Murdoch and said that it may be easier once I'm there (once again, you were right Nexx).

Just remember, everything here moves at a slower pace. It takes some getting used to :p

As for financial aid, if you received your award letter (which I think you said you did) you'll get your money. Even if you didn't get the award letter yet, as long as you have a previous degree completed and haven't been delinquent on repayments for a student loan before I can't think of a reason you would not be eligible to get the loans so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for housing, the village won't be 'horrible' -- it's just dorm life again. It is tolerable but not something most people want to do for long-term. So honestly if your are getting bothered by the crunched deadline it may be best to just sign up for it. It's housing, you could have a bad experience in a roommate situation just as easily. My first 6 months worked out well with 2 of my roommates, the other one -- not so much (in fact I don't really talk to the person any more because they were so annoying). Anyhow as a final thought on that, I think people have broken their village lease before at the end of the first semester -- so that may be an option down the road as well.

I've never used the guild website, or the guild really. Can't say that I've found them useful (even for the discounted services on campus that membership provides). I actually refused to be a guild member this year after the previous year they supported withholding grades from the students in an effort to get staff pay-raises for professors and university staff, but that's another discussion :p

Just remember, everything here moves at a slower pace. It takes some getting used to :p

As for financial aid, if you received your award letter (which I think you said you did) you'll get your money. Even if you didn't get the award letter yet, as long as you have a previous degree completed and haven't been delinquent on repayments for a student loan before I can't think of a reason you would not be eligible to get the loans so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for housing, the village won't be 'horrible' -- it's just dorm life again. It is tolerable but not something most people want to do for long-term. So honestly if your are getting bothered by the crunched deadline it may be best to just sign up for it. It's housing, you could have a bad experience in a roommate situation just as easily. My first 6 months worked out well with 2 of my roommates, the other one -- not so much (in fact I don't really talk to the person any more because they were so annoying). Anyhow as a final thought on that, I think people have broken their village lease before at the end of the first semester -- so that may be an option down the road as well.

I've never used the guild website, or the guild really. Can't say that I've found them useful (even for the discounted services on campus that membership provides). I actually refused to be a guild member this year after the previous year they supported withholding grades from the students in an effort to get staff pay-raises for professors and university staff, but that's another discussion :p

Actually, I never received an award letter from financial aid. I simply filled out the paperwork to apply for financial aid and I haven't heard from Dayna since then, which was days ago.

Do you know how much it would cost to break the Village lease? I was thinking about that today. Just signing up to make my life easier (since I'm studying for my thesis defense and trying to learn all aspects of Biology before December 7th as well as knowing my thesis write-up forwards and backwards) would be a thought. God knows I have enough on my plate as it is! It's interesting that you refer to it as six months again because the contract at the Village is like 8 months 3 weeks, so I don't really know where you're getting the six months from, unfortunately. And I wonder if I could find out the information about the others that would be housed with me either before OR after signing the lease with them. That would be helpful. I don't even know if the Village provides kitchen, bathroom, and living room supplies so if they don't then I'd need to collaborate with other students on who's bringing what.

I cannot believe they tried to without grades from students because the professors have a stick up their asses. Wtf! You paid for that education, and you deserve to get your grade. I'm not a paid member, but I did sign up just to use their website and talk to people about accommodations. Does the Guild even have that much power to do something like withhold grades? If so, I don't know how I feel about that.

Do you know how much it would cost to break the Village lease? I was thinking about that today. Just signing up to make my life easier (since I'm studying for my thesis defense and trying to learn all aspects of Biology before December 7th as well as knowing my thesis write-up forwards and backwards) would be a thought. God knows I have enough on my plate as it is! It's interesting that you refer to it as six months again because the contract at the Village is like 8 months 3 weeks, so I don't really know where you're getting the six months from, unfortunately. And I wonder if I could find out the information about the others that would be housed with me either before OR after signing the lease with them. That would be helpful. I don't even know if the Village provides kitchen, bathroom, and living room supplies so if they don't then I'd need to collaborate with other students on who's bringing what.

I say don't sign a village lease right now. If you do decide to take up a lease with the village at a later date, it will be possible - accomodation is not full this year, and with the price increase, will probably be even emptier next year. I say just let it slide for now, do what you have to do, and come back to it when you have more time to deal with trying to find a place to live.

The village does not supply kitchen, bathroom or living room supplies. Only a fridge, freezer and microwave - if you are in the "new" village, you dont even get an oven, just a convection microwave. Everything is strictly byo.

Holy crap that is ridiculous! No oven? wtf! Okay yeah, I'm definitely looking for another place to stay. It seems that a lot of accommodations being offered are either families that are renting out a room in their homes or Asian/Indian students. Where are all the Americans, Europeans, and Aussies that need roommates?? I cannot believe they don't supply the supplies necessary to survive in the Village. Seriously, people are coming across the world for this education. All they have with them is 2 suitcases for the next 5 years of their lives. Wtf. As you can tell that frustrates me. They give you literally the bare essentials to survive and then don't even supply an OVEN? Jesus.

Do you have any recommendations for places to look? Like I told Nexx, the Guild has lots of offers; however, a lot of places I'd email students about I cannot email them because they didn't put their person email address and the website isn't allowing me to use the default email system they have going on it. I don't know if you read before but it tells me to turn off Norton and refresh. I don't even use Norton anti-virus, which is what I'm guessing it's referring to. I emailed the Guild and they haven't gotten back to me and I'm afraid that the longer I wait the more liable I am at losing a cheaper, nice place. Suggestions?

Hello there!! I have recently been accepted to Murdoch and was overjoyed when I received the email. I broke the news to my friends/family then looked up tuition and started doing the math. I have less than 1,000$ to my name and can barely make rent as a vet assistant... any advice on how to imagine having 300,000 in debt? Is that common and will it be impossible to pay off within my lifetime? Is it difficult to get a job as a Murdoch grad and are the pass rates for the NAVLE similar to those who study at a US university? Also, classes start in Feb. which is when interviews are conducted for other US schools that I have applied to, has anyone else come across this unfortunate timetable? Thanks a bunch! All I want is to start classes but am very nervous about the cost.

I haven't heard from Dayna since then, which was days ago.

I'm going to give a strong +1 to Nexx and add, you really may have a culture shock coming to Australasia. Things are much slower, more informal and generally less organized. If you don't hear from the financial aid office in 3 weeks or so, I would be concerned. But it's not time to start worrying yet.

I don't know how it is in Perth, but a lot of Massey international students just show up in Palmerston North and start looking for housing when they arrive. No one's been stuck homeless yet.

I would go so far as to say that if you find yourself really uncomfortable with disorganization and a sort-of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to life, it might be better to go to school in the US or Britain. Life down under might drive you crazy. This is not to say you can't do it, just... do you want to?