MSSM c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
colombianMD said:
Hey ppl,

for the housing questionnaire all you have to do is email the person they tell you to when you can't log in and they'll put you in the system. Hey Kasha ,I'll be there next week, I think, trying to figure out how to pay for school since I don't get a financial package.

what day? i'm flying up on thursday morning and headed back saturday afternoon. i will be at the school friday or thursday, depending on when a student host can host me.

let me know your plans

Members don't see this ad.

kasha said:
what day? i'm flying up on thursday morning and headed back saturday afternoon. i will be at the school friday or thursday, depending on when a student host can host me.

let me know your plans

Hey I think Ill be going up there either thursday or friday, and staying till sunday. I'll be staying with friends, but htey aren't too far from Mt Sinai.

On the housing questionnaire, what did everyone put as the day to have housing start? I'm not sure if I should put the date for before orientation, or the weekend right after it and before classes begin.

Members don't see this ad :)
kasha said:

let me know your plans

Congrats on getting into Mount Sinai mate.

crzynikki said:
On the housing questionnaire, what did everyone put as the day to have housing start? I'm not sure if I should put the date for before orientation, or the weekend right after it and before classes begin.

So? What date did you folks put in the questionaire?

crzynikki said:

kasha said:

Anyone at all?

On another note, did anyone else get an invite for the Summer Enrichment Program? Anyone definitely going? I'm thinking about doing it, but I'm not sure if I want to give up my whole summer.

crzynikki said:
Anyone at all?

On another note, did anyone else get an invite for the Summer Enrichment Program? Anyone definitely going? I'm thinking about doing it, but I'm not sure if I want to give up my whole summer.

When is it and what does it include?

kasha said:
When is it and what does it include?

The e-mail was very short, but it said it's a six week program (June 19-July28), and it consists of morning lectures and afternoon lab. Anyone else get the invite? I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it (it's the whole summer, and short notice!).

Back to my housing question, can someone PLEASE tell me when new students traditionally move-in? Is it the weekend before orientation (August 12-13), or the weekend after orientation and right before classes (August 19-20). I haven't completed the housing questionnaire becuase I don't know what date I should put down. If I put down a date, do I have to move-in then, or does it mean I can move-in after that date?

Thank you!

New students move in before orientation. Orientaiton is August 17th (Thurs.) so I assume most moving is done the Mon-Wed. of that week. I don't think the date on the housing questionaire is a big deal, I'm sure they figure first years will be moving in during a large period of time somewhere in that general time frame. Don't worry about it so much :)

See you soon!

Alexandra

crzynikki said:
The e-mail was very short, but it said it's a six week program (June 19-July28), and it consists of morning lectures and afternoon
lab. Anyone else get the invite? I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it (it's the whole summer, and short notice!).

Back to my housing question, can someone PLEASE tell me when new students traditionally move-in? Is it the weekend before orientation (August 12-13), or the weekend after orientation and right before classes (August 19-20). I haven't completed the housing questionnaire becuase I don't know what date I should put down. If I put down a date, do I have to move-in then, or does it mean I can move-in after that date?

Thank you!

I´m doing SEP for sure.....see you guys on the 19th...

Thanks, alliekat71!

NunoBR, I sent you a PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, have any of you guys going to the SEP heard anything about when to move in?

anyone hear any news from MSSM recently regarding housing or orientation or anything else? im just hoping they didnt forget about me, lol. two months!

preppy36 said:
anyone hear any news from MSSM recently regarding housing or orientation or anything else? im just hoping they didnt forget about me, lol. two months!

Just got an email reminder from them today saying to make sure housing questionaire is filled out and drug screen is complete. We should hear from housing 1 month before school starts per the email.

Hi everyone!

I got my tuition invoice on Saturday, and no financial aid was shown on it! Just wondering if anyone else who was recently pulled off the waitlist received their financial aid award package yet. I tried calling the office today, but had to leave a message to be called back tomorrow because the director wasn't in. I e-mailed Glenda and she responded saying they had no FAFSA or NeedAccess info. on me (even though I completed both in February and early June, respectively).

Is it possible I won't be offered any aid? If that's the case, I won't be able to go... I'm feeling worried/ anxious now. :confused:

crzynikki said:
Hi everyone!

I got my tuition invoice on Saturday, and no financial aid was shown on it! Just wondering if anyone else who was recently pulled off the waitlist received their financial aid award package yet. I tried calling the office today, but had to leave a message to be called back tomorrow because the director wasn't in. I e-mailed Glenda and she responded saying they had no FAFSA or NeedAccess info. on me (even though I completed both in February and early June, respectively).

Is it possible I won't be offered any aid? If that's the case, I won't be able to go... I'm feeling worried/ anxious now. :confused:

What do you mean by 'any aid?' I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed the full annual sub and unsub federal stafford loans, and then you'll probably get other loans to cover the rest. If you mean grants, then i'm not sure.

Thanks for the reply, greendot!

Actually, Dale Fuller finally got back to me yesterday, told me everything was complete, and e-mailed me the financial award worksheet.

I don't know why Glenda told me my information was missing, but I hope she never scares me like that again! :)

If I remember correctly, the prematriculation program should've started by now, and I think that a couple of SDNers that were posting in this thread were going to take part. So ...

What is it like? Are you guys enjoying yourselves or what?

Just moved into the Sinai couples housing at 1249 Park Ave today. My wife's job starts Wed., so that's the reason for the early move.

Now that I am here, I can't believe that I have to wait another 37 days for school to begin. If anyone else is in the city and wants to get together, let me know.

See everyone in August!

Hey Guys, recently accepted (literally 3 days ago) anyone know who to e-mail to get in the system??? See you guys in August!!!!!!

BigMAC said:
Just moved into the Sinai couples housing at 1249 Park Ave today. My wife's job starts Wed., so that's the reason for the early move.

Now that I am here, I can't believe that I have to wait another 37 days for school to begin. If anyone else is in the city and wants to get together, let me know.

See everyone in August!

Hey BigMAC,

I'm actually up in NY already, though I'm staying in Westchester until I can move into the sinai housing next month. I'd be down to get together sometime, tough I'm going to be leaving the state for about five days, so maybe next week after tuesday? Anyone else thats going to be a member of the class of 2010 thats in NY let me and BigMAC know ...

on a seperate note, I got my housing assignment today. Does anyone remember where the housing 'chat' room was and how to get in it to find our roommates?

Congratulations, YankeeDoc! Looking forward to meeting you in August.

greendot, I also got my room assignment. I've already posted on the board on the 5th floor thread. The student forum is located here: http://students.mssm.edu/bulletin/index.php?
You just need to set up a new account.

I live in Queens, so I'm always around!

SO....Will do drug testing this week.

Filled out housing questionnaire (well, declined housing - living off-campus).

Sent back signed financial forms w/promissory note.

Am I missing something? Just haven't heard anything in a while from MSSM (except for e-mail about mentor program) so wanted to make sure I've covered all my bases.

Thnx.

:D Hi guys! I just got in on Monday! MSSM is my top choice so I'm really happy. :love: See you all soon!

lebam said:
:D Hi guys! I just got in on Monday! MSSM is my top choice so I'm really happy. :love: See you all soon!

Congratulations, lebam! That's awesome news!
Are you busy catching up with all your paperwork?
If you need any help, just let me know!

lebam said:

congratulations!! see you in about 2 weeks! :D

Congrats lebam! Welcome, and see you soon!

WELCOME!!

question: how much money in loans did you all take out? they say estimate what we will need but how can one know?

suggestions?

thanks

kasha said:
WELCOME!!

question: how much money in loans did you all take out? they say estimate what we will need but how can one know?

suggestions?

thanks

Just subtract the amount that you can afford to pay on your own from the total yearly budget (I believe its about 54,500). The difference is what I would estimate loan need to be.

Hope that helped.

greendot said:
Just subtract the amount that you can afford to pay on your own from the total yearly budget (I believe its about 54,500). The difference is what I would estimate loan need to be.

Hope that helped.

So basically rely on their estimated budget...

I guess we have no other way to go.

Thanks

Well, I'm starting to get excited about school starting now that they have the book lists posted on their website.

Just so everyone knows, Sinai only has an online bookstore: http://www.mssm.edu/students/bookstore.shtml.

However, for those of you in town, there is a Barnes and Noble bookstore on 18th and 5th that specializes in textbooks. The entire second floow is nothing but law and medical texts. The prices there are cheaper than ordering your books on the website for the most part. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Big. Now a question for everyone:

Are you all planning to buy the books now as suggested by students on the MSSM matriculant webpage, or are you going to wait until we get started to see what we really need?

I'm leaning toward taking the suggestions and buying now.

greendot said:

Are you all planning to buy the books now as suggested by students on the MSSM matriculant webpage, or are you going to wait until we get started to see what we really need?

I'm taking the suggestions and buying now. I don;t plan on buying any of the review books yet until I see what the course syllabi are like.

greendot said:

Hi Guys....a whole group of us did SEP and we got a lot of info...including info about books...
The general consensus from the TAs (2nd years) was to essentially get what you need but don't really rush...The suggestions they gave us are very similar to the ones posted on the website (if not the same).
Developmental (embryo) starts first...so I'm def getting that book...and as far as anatomy...I got Rohen and Netter and the flashcards...probably getting Baby Moore as well ("essential clinical anatomy" I think)...oh and the dissector...everything else...I'm just gonna wait....
see you guys soon.

so I've been at MSSM for a month and a half, I was in the SEP program. This place is awesome, second years are nice, and the girls that we had as our TA's for anatomy were even nicer.
I would wait on the books, don't buy them untill you get to see them, they recomend several ones for a single class, but you generally only need one, depending on how you like studying. For example they recomend 3 Atlas', I am only buying Rohen, and then the Netter flash cards, personally I didn't like Grant's. Also, wait till you get here and buy your books used from the second years, it'll be cheaper, that is if you don't mind used books.

as for the rooms, I got a Duplex ( hehe) most my roomates are here, but we don't know who is moving to 11J2, so if you are out there, let us know.

See you guys during orientation!

NunoBR said:
Hi Guys....a whole group of us did SEP and we got a lot of info...including info about books...
The general consensus from the TAs (2nd years) was to essentially get what you need but don't really rush...The suggestions they gave us are very similar to the ones posted on the website (if not the same).
Developmental (embryo) starts first...so I'm def getting that book...and as far as anatomy...I got Rohen and Netter and the flashcards...probably getting Baby Moore as well ("essential clinical anatomy" I think)...oh and the dissector...everything else...I'm just gonna wait....
see you guys soon.

Nuno, whats up? Long time no speak. Glad you're enjoying the summer. Which 'dissector' are we using? I tried to look at the textbooks in the Sinai bookstore, but there is no option for Fall 2006, only Fall 2005, and the dissector is not listed there.

crzynikki said:
Congratulations, lebam! That's awesome news!
Are you busy catching up with all your paperwork?
If you need any help, just let me know!

Thanks! Yep, I'm busy with the financial aid paperwork. Where did you guys send your health insurance forms? I'm also waiting to see if I'll get affordable couple's housing. If anyone has a spare room that they'd share with a nice couple, let me know. My boy travels a lot, so he's only home about 6 months out of the year. He's home too often for me to get single housing in Aron Hall, but not enough for me to afford a studio/one bedroom in the area.

Greendot, the dissector is Grant's dissector, but the professor doesn't like the newest edition so I would just buy the last edition from one of the second years

I just moved in today. I dont have any plans until orientation so I'm up for getting together and doing something.

PM me, email me at [email protected] or call me 646-549-4545.

Hiram

colombianMD said:
Greendot, the dissector is Grant's dissector, but the professor doesn't like the newest edition so I would just buy the last edition from one of the second years

Cool, thanks.

Good morning all,

Just wanted to let you know that I and another classmate will be in NYC this afternoon checking out the Sinai neighborhood. If anyone wants to meet up with us, send me a PM.

To everyone who has already moved in Aron Hall-

Where do we pick up our keys?

and

Is there a parking lot for the building? My parents will be helping me move in, and I just wanted to know if there is housing parking that we could use.

Thanks, and see you all soon!

There is no parking lot for Aron Hall. Parking down here is really difficult. You should be able to get your keys from the doorman, but you may want to call and check first.