MSSM c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
greendot said:
Good question. I was thinking business casual (no jacket/tie) for the day, and then maybe jeans and a polo to go to dinner.

It said business casual on the invitation. But I think that jeans for Fri night dinner is cool.
Sat I would def go business casual.
During revisit weekend last week some people wore suits during the talk (saturday) and they looked really nice but kinda out of place.

Members don't see this ad.

NunoBR said:
It said business casual on the invitation. But I think that jeans for Fri night dinner is cool.
Sat I would def go business casual.
During revisit weekend last week some people wore suits during the talk (saturday) and they looked really nice but kinda out of place.

Does anyone know when classes start?

NunoBR said:
Does anyone know when classes start?

Orientation begins August 17th. Classes begin August 21st.

So, you think it is ok to wear jeans and a polo shirt for Friday's activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
BigMAC said:

What are the activities for Friday night? Anything after dinner?

BigMAC said:

That's what I'll be doing, so you won't be alone.

I had a great time this weekend at Sinai. It was really good to meet some of my future classmates, though the only one I know from here was Nuno. Who else was there?

I was there and had a great time as well.

greendot said:
I had a great time this weekend at Sinai. It was really good to meet some of my future classmates, though the only one I know from here was Nuno. Who else was there?

I was! I had a blast too. Everyone seemed incredibly normal, down to earth and friendly. I was especially impressed by the faculty -wasn't Dr. Laitman amazing?

thefreshmaker said:
I was! I had a blast too. Everyone seemed incredibly normal, down to earth and friendly. I was especially impressed by the faculty -wasn't Dr. Laitman amazing?

Yeah, Dr. Laitman was great. I'm actually looking forward to anatomy now ... okay, thats a bit misleading, because I've been looking forward to anatomy for a long time, but now I'm more excited than anxious.

NunoBR said:
CONS:
-By Harlem, so it did seem a little shady at night.
-I did not like housing. The space/location is amazing, but I thought the building was dirty and the noise from the train ALL night was insane.
(I know most of you are gonna kill me for this, since people love sinai housing). For NYC, the size is AWESOME, but I'm not sure it compensates for
the crazy loud noise and the dirty hallways.
I thought I edit this because after this weekend I kinda changed my mind. The student I stayed with for my interview had his apt right next to the train, but other appts are on the other side so you really dont hear the train at all. Plus if you get a high enough appt you'll barely hear the train.

The pros & cons are great. Does anybody know anything about married housing at MSSM? Size, price, in the same building as everybody else or in a different one?

Thanks
-Pemberley

Pemberley said:
The pros & cons are great. Does anybody know anything about married housing at MSSM? Size, price, in the same building as everybody else or in a different one?

Thanks
-Pemberley

I'm pretty sure that the couples housing is in a seperate building (or buildings). I'm not sure about the price or size though.

Pemberley said:

Thanks
-Pemberley

Check out this link. This has the locations and preices of all the couples housing.

http://gsevals.mssm.edu/dorms/HousingPriceForStudent_rev060405.pdf

I have spent a great deal of time researching the couples housing, so if you have any specific questions, let me kow.

has everyone received their finaid package already?

i'm still waiting for mine..... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
GA_MDhopeful said:

On Wednesday the 3rd I was told mine had just been sent out, but I haven't received anything yet either. Hopefully it'll be in the mail today when I get home.

Pemberley said:

Thanks
-Pemberley

I went on the married housing tour after the revisit weekend program this Saturday. There are multiple buildings for "married" or "domestic partnership" couples. The first place they showed us was very nice-2 bedroom, hardwood floors...and I think it ranged from $1600-2200 in that building? The other (much smaller apt) was a walkup for (if I'm not mistaken) around $1100-1400?

thefreshmaker said:
I went on the married housing tour after the revisit weekend program this Saturday. There are multiple buildings for "married" or "domestic partnership" couples. The first place they showed us was very nice-2 bedroom, hardwood floors...and I think it ranged from $1600-2200 in that building? The other (much smaller apt) was a walkup for (if I'm not mistaken) around $1100-1400?

I was there with you on that tour. The first two bedroom was really nice.

GA_MDhopeful said:

So I emailed the financial aid office and they let me know what the deal was ... ummmm, yeah ... not cool. I'm gonna owe a LOT of money in a few years - like many of us. I'll be at MSSM next year for sure, I'll just have more loans than I had hoped for. Anyway, I'm still amped :)

i just got my fin aid package in the mail today

i wasnt able to make it to the second look but its good to hear you were all impressed by MSSM. I will be attending MSSM and am looking forward to meeting you all!

preppy36 said:
i just got my fin aid package in the mail today

i wasnt able to make it to the second look but its good to hear you were all impressed by MSSM. I will be attending MSSM and am looking forward to meeting you all!

Look forward to meeting you too preppy. All us SDNers should get together at some point before orientation for dinner/drinks.

Too bad I missed the other married folks on the tour. I saw 3 levels of married housing - around 1100, 1600 and 2100 for a 3-4 room apt (what they call a 2 br). The 2100 one was sweet, but way out of my price range. pm me if you want to chat about them.

slim06 said:
Too bad I missed the other married folks on the tour. I saw 3 levels of married housing - around 1100, 1600 and 2100 for a 3-4 room apt (what they call a 2 br). The 2100 one was sweet, but way out of my price range. pm me if you want to chat about them.

when my bf and i were in NY to look for housing about a month ago, we stopped by the housing office to inquire about couples housing. the gist i got, however, was that you can't apply for select apartments? you have to put in an application, they place you somewhere, and THEN you can ask for a change? do i have this wrong? also, they wouldn't let us see the apartments before applying for housing (at least not that week) so we nixed the idea. we ended up getting a place off-campus which is better anyway because we have an 80 lb. lab who apparently isn't welcome in sinai housing...

greendot said:
So I emailed the financial aid office and they let me know what the deal was ... ummmm, yeah ... not cool. I'm gonna owe a LOT of money in a few years - like many of us. I'll be at MSSM next year for sure, I'll just have more loans than I had hoped for. Anyway, I'm still amped :)

i'm wondering if i should call them and bug them?

i called them about a week and a half ago and they said that they mailed an additional form that they needed me to fill out....but i haven't gotten it yet. now i'm wondering if that's delaying the determination of my award?

has anyone else gotten any "extra" forms sent to them after they submitted all the normal required documents?

greendot said:
Look forward to meeting you too preppy. All us SDNers should get together at some point before orientation for dinner/drinks.

I'm game!

GA_MDhopeful said:
i'm wondering if i should call them and bug them?

i called them about a week and a half ago and they said that they mailed an additional form that they needed me to fill out....but i haven't gotten it yet. now i'm wondering if that's delaying the determination of my award?

has anyone else gotten any "extra" forms sent to them after they submitted all the normal required documents?

Yes, I got the extra form. I PMed you about it.

Whats going on future MSSMers? I noticed this thread disappeared, so thought I'd bump it up again.

The 15th is almost upon us, and I've finally withdrawn from the last school I was holding an acceptance at (The University of Florida). I emailed Kelli to let her know I'd definitely be at Sinai, and the more I think about it the more excited I get. . . especially while I'm at work imagining how horrible it would be to have to work this 9-5 for my whole life. Anyway, thats all. Lets get some more posting in here and keep the Sinai thread alive.

peace

greendot said:
Whats going on future MSSMers? I noticed this thread disappeared, so thought I'd bump it up again.

The 15th is almost upon us, and I've finally withdrawn from the last school I was holding an acceptance at (The University of Florida). I emailed Kelli to let her know I'd definitely be at Sinai, and the more I think about it the more excited I get. . . especially while I'm at work imagining how horrible it would be to have to work this 9-5 for my whole life. Anyway, thats all. Lets get some more posting in here and keep the Sinai thread alive.

peace

I can't quite bring myself to withdraw from the last 2 other schools. I really want to go Sinai and live in NYC, but my wife is not so keen on the idea. So, I am left to choose between the school I would rather go to, or the place she would rather live. These nexts fewe days are going to be very stressful...(sigh)

BigMAC said:
I can't quite bring myself to withdraw from the last 2 other schools. I really want to go Sinai and live in NYC, but my wife is not so keen on the idea. So, I am left to choose between the school I would rather go to, or the place she would rather live. These nexts fewe days are going to be very stressful...(sigh)

Thats pretty tough ...

where does she want you to go?

greendot said:
Thats pretty tough ...

where does she want you to go?

Gainesville (because family is close in Jacksonville) or Pittsburgh. She's "willing" to go anywhere, but that is certainly a qualified declaration on her part.

BigMAC said:
Gainesville (because family is close in Jacksonville) or Pittsburgh. She's "willing" to go anywhere, but that is certainly a qualified declaration on her part.

Yeah, "willing" can mean so many things ....

I'm assuming UF and Pitt? Both great schools, but I think I'd go with Sinai (though I didn't apply to Pitt). A great school in a great location. Good luck with the wife, and maybe I'll see you next year. Be sure to let us know what you decide.

For what it's worth, my dentist always tells me, Happy wife = happy life.

(& I'm not on the waitlist)

slim06 said:

This makes more sense than anything I've ever read in this thread and I'm not married . LOL.

slim06 said:

Well put ... I'm not even close to being married, but when I am I aim to have a very happy wife.

Has anyone got their housing assignment yet? I'm so excited!

alliekat71 said:
Has anyone got their housing assignment yet? I'm so excited!

No, nothing yet. I wonder when they'll let us know ...

hi all!!

just got off the waitlist and i'm pretty psyched. at this point my only concern is financial aid. do any of you folks already have your packages? did you recieve any need-based grants (i.e. from the fin aid department and NOT from the admissions committee)? the other school i'm looking at doesnt give any grants, only loans.

thanks!!

kasha said:
hi all!!

just got off the waitlist and i'm pretty psyched. at this point my only concern is financial aid. do any of you folks already have your packages? did you recieve any need-based grants (i.e. from the fin aid department and NOT from the admissions committee)? the other school i'm looking at doesnt give any grants, only loans.

thanks!!

hi kasha

Congratulations!! I know that Sinai does give need based grants if need is established.

I saw your poll MSSM v. Einstein and I got a much better 'vibe' at Sinai, and after revisit I know that I'm going to be at the right school next year. Good luck with your decision. Hope to see you in August :)

greendot said:
hi kasha

Congratulations!! I know that Sinai does give need based grants if need is established.

I saw your poll MSSM v. Einstein and I got a much better 'vibe' at Sinai, and after revisit I know that I'm going to be at the right school next year. Good luck with your decision. Hope to see you in August :)

Hey thanks! I read somewhere that you are from Florida. I am in in Boca finishing up work,are you nearby? Would you be up for a quick cup of coffee? I know you went to 2nd look and I am in need of some more inside information.

kasha said:
Hey thanks! I read somewhere that you are from Florida. I am in in Boca finishing up work,are you nearby? Would you be up for a quick cup of coffee? I know you went to 2nd look and I am in need of some more inside information.

I'd be glad to meet with you. Maybe coffee at fivebucks? Pm'd you.

Hi everyone!

I also got off the waitlist yesterday, and I am SUPER excited becuase Sinai was my first choice!!

I had been holding a spot at NYMC, which I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to give up (they gave me some scholarship, and I'm not sure if I'd be making a mistake giving that up). What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure MSSM is a better school, and I really love it.
Would it be a bad idea to pass up a school that has offered me some money, though?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts.

Hey guys,
I was also accepted yesterday, great feeling, although turning down the school I had chosen was a tough one specially after having made friends with the office and students there. Only one chance to do medical school in NY right?
Anyways, do you guys know any other international students? I have no idea who to talk to about Visas and other such issues. Wahoo for being in debt all the way. Looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall. I'll be sitting around most of the summer (running between Philly and Baltimore) thanks to the marvels of being an international student, so if any of you are in this general area let me know. It would be great to start school knowing people already. Although there are another 5 people who are going from my school.

I apologize for the ESL grammar, but I'm way too excited to care.

crzynikki said:
Hi everyone!

I also got off the waitlist yesterday, and I am SUPER excited becuase Sinai was my first choice!!

I had been holding a spot at NYMC, which I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to give up (they gave me some scholarship, and I'm not sure if I'd be making a mistake giving that up). What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure MSSM is a better school, and I really love it.
Would it be a bad idea to pass up a school that has offered me some money, though?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts.

Anyone? :confused:

Anyway, this thread is too quiet!! After all the agony of wondering if I would finally get accepted to this school, I thought this thread would be a great, big party! Come on, everyone! We're going to SINAI!!! :D

To those of you who also just got off the waitlist, have you started filling out any of the online forms yet (housing, fin. aid, etc.)? I was just wondering if I should start filling them out now, or if I should wait until the official letter comes in the mail. Those of you who were accepted before, have you filled everything out? What should I get done now in order to catch up with everyone?

Thanks!

crzynikki said:
Anyone? :confused:

Anyway, this thread is too quiet!! After all the agony of wondering if I would finally get accepted to this school, I thought this thread would be a great, big party! Come on, everyone! We're going to SINAI!!! :D

To those of you who also just got off the waitlist, have you started filling out any of the online forms yet (housing, fin. aid, etc.)? I was just wondering if I should start filling them out now, or if I should wait until the official letter comes in the mail. Those of you who were accepted before, have you filled everything out? What should I get done now in order to catch up with everyone?

Thanks!

I agree, this thread is too quiet!!

To respond to your 2nd to last post, definitely come to Sinai!

I have already completed the financial aid and housing forms. I'd get started on the financial aid stuff soon because the needaccess portion that Sinai requires is very long.

You also need to take the drug test. Once you complete those things you'll be caught up with me at least :)

I still need to complete the criminal background check form and the health/physical stuff, but I think I'll wait on that for a while.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I look forward to meeting you in August.

greendot said:
I agree, this thread is too quiet!!

To respond to your 2nd to last post, definitely come to Sinai!

I have already completed the financial aid and housing forms. I'd get started on the financial aid stuff soon because the needaccess portion that Sinai requires is very long.

You also need to take the drug test. Once you complete those things you'll be caught up with me at least :)

I still need to complete the criminal background check form and the health/physical stuff, but I think I'll wait on that for a while.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I look forward to meeting you in August.

Thanks, greendot!
I submitted the Need Access online application today, and I'll hopefully be mailing out the App. for Financial Assistance this weekend. I submitted my FAFSA back in February. Did you already receive your award package from them? How long does it take to receive it?

Also, looking at the incoming students page it mentioned something about Dell laptops being available for sale. Anyone know when? I'm looking to purchase a laptop at least a month before school starts.

I'm looking forward to meeting you as well greendot!
Getting more excited!! :D

crzynikki said:
Thanks, greendot!
I submitted the Need Access online application today, and I'll hopefully be mailing out the App. for Financial Assistance this weekend. I submitted my FAFSA back in February. Did you already receive your award package from them? How long does it take to receive it?

Also, looking at the incoming students page it mentioned something about Dell laptops being available for sale. Anyone know when? I'm looking to purchase a laptop at least a month before school starts.

Congrats to all of us recent admitteess!!

Any of you manage to log in to the housing questionnaire?

crzynikki said:
Did you already receive your award package from them? How long does it take to receive it?

It took about 3 weeks to get the financial aid award from Sinai, though I think they had it completed at least a week earlier. You can email the financial aid office (I forget the name of the woman who I emailed) and they will email you pack a summary of your award if all of you info has been processed.

Don't know about the computers.

greendot said:
It took about 3 weeks to get the financial aid award from Sinai, though I think they had it completed at least a week earlier. You can email the financial aid office (I forget the name of the woman who I emailed) and they will email you pack a summary of your award if all of you info has been processed.

Don't know about the computers.

Thanks again, greendot! Perhaps you had e-mailed Glenda Palmer?

Kasha, I tried to access the housing questionnaire, but it wouldn't let me. Maybe we should wait a few more days?

crzynikki said:

Yep, that's who it was.

crzynikki said:

Kasha, I tried to access the housing questionnaire, but it wouldn't let me. Maybe we should wait a few more days?
I think that as soon as the acceptance packets are processed we will be in the system and will have access to housing.

I'm headed up to NY this Thursday for a private 2nd look. While I'm leaning heavily towards Sinai, assuming better financial aid, I want to get a more informed opinion of the schools. It was my last interview, I didnt sleep well the night before and just wasnt really in a good mood. So I need a sencond impression.

If anyone will be up there next week/weekend I would be happy to meet anyone in the area.

Hey ppl,

for the housing questionnaire all you have to do is email the person they tell you to when you can't log in and they'll put you in the system. Hey Kasha ,I'll be there next week, I think, trying to figure out how to pay for school since I don't get a financial package.