MSSM c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BigMAC said:
To those of you who have turned in all of your financial aid info (FAFSA, Need Access, and Sinai Forms), I called the financial aid office today and they have tentatively finisihed my financial aid package for next year.

FYI, the base loan is set at 28,000 again next year.

I still have to do mine and I have been lazy for the longest time.
Planning on finishing need access this weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

BigMAC said:
To those of you who have turned in all of your financial aid info (FAFSA, Need Access, and Sinai Forms), I called the financial aid office today and they have tentatively finisihed my financial aid package for next year.

FYI, the base loan is set at 28,000 again next year.

When did you get all of your stuff in? What's the turn around time? I've finished the FAFSA and Need Access already. Just have to do the Sinai forms this weekend and I'll be complete.

greendot said:
When did you get all of your stuff in? What's the turn around time? I've finished the FAFSA and Need Access already. Just have to do the Sinai forms this weekend and I'll be complete.

I mailed my Sinai forms and tax returns around March 7th. On the report he sent me, the date listed was March 23. So maybe 2 weeks from when you have everything in?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got the official second look weekend email. It is set to run from 3pm Friday 5/5 until 4:30 Saturday 5/6. I'm almost sure I'll be there. Who else is gonna go?

Hey, what happened to my signature??

greendot said:

I am going too. Sounds like a lot of fun!

princessd3 said:
I am going too. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Yeah it does. Look forward to seeing you there. I noticed your sig says U Mich ... are you still undecided, or will you be there for sure?

I have pretty much decided but still wanna make sure I am making the right decision.

greendot said:

It only shows up on your first post on a thread for the day. ;)

ivy91 said:
It only shows up on your first post on a thread for the day. ;)

I had no idea ... thanks for clearing that up Ivy :)

What's the agenda for the medical school revisit on May 5th?

Has anyone received their confirmation email with host or housing info for the revisit weekend?

Hey everybody,

Long time reader, virgin poster. Im 100% sure Ill be joining you guys next year and am most certainly attending second look. Gotta get all the NY nightlife I can before school starts!

I got an email from admissions with a word document attached about housing options for second look weekend and restaurant choices, but as far as an agenda, they told me we'll get one the day we get there. Call just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
KillerTofu said:
Hey everybody,

Long time reader, virgin poster. Im 100% sure Ill be joining you guys next year and am most certainly attending second look. Gotta get all the NY nightlife I can before school starts!

I got an email from admissions with a word document attached about housing options for second look weekend and restaurant choices, but as far as an agenda, they told me we'll get one the day we get there. Call just in case.

Yeah, I got the same thing via email. Looking forward to seeing you all there. Are you guys planning on staying in Aron Hall?

greendot said:
Yeah, I got the same thing via email. Looking forward to seeing you all there. Are you guys planning on staying in Aron Hall?

Hey Greendot.
Are you coming to the April 21 and 22 weekend as well?
I'm going to both
Let me know

NunoBR said:
Hey Greendot.
Are you coming to the April 21 and 22 weekend as well?
I'm going to both
Let me know

Hey Nuno,

I'll only be going to the May 5th/6th weekend. I live in Florida and work during the week so both weekends isn't an option. Look forward to meeting you in May though :)

greendot said:
Hey Nuno,

I'll only be going to the May 5th/6th weekend. I live in Florida and work during the week so both weekends isn't an option. Look forward to meeting you in May though :)

Alright then....May it is. ;)

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious whether any of you have received housing confirmation about second look. I send in the RSVP on Sunday the 16th, but haven't heard anything yet.

greendot said:
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious whether any of you have received housing confirmation about second look. I send in the RSVP on Sunday the 16th, but haven't heard anything yet.

I think a previous email said that we would receive confirmation info the week of the 24th.

BigMAC said:
I think a previous email said that we would receive confirmation info the week of the 24th.

Okay, must've missed that. Thanks.

Here are my thoughts after revisit this past weekend.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

PROS:
-Great school, good reputation
-Central Park. It's so nice to be right in front of it.
-Because of central park and the subway stop being a block away, the location is definitely very very nice.
-Great research/ option to add MD/PhD later.
-You start electives early on. So let's say, the student I stayed with was a first year and he did a surgery elective during the first year.
Bottom line, you get exposed to the specialties you are interested in early on.
-Students were VERY VERY happy and down to earth.
-Location is kinda nice because you get to experience both Harlem and UES. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of places to hang out/study (coffe houses etc, yes that's where I study, me and my headphones LOL).
-Students emphasized that profs love to teach. And they stressed this again this past weekend. We met a couple of the professors and they were really nice.
-Cafeteria was really nice (I know this doesn't really matter).
-Close to the subway (not that important either). Actuallly it is quite important.
-Anatomy lab overlooks Central Park (Do I remember this correctly? Or am I going crazy?)
-According to Dean, board scores are Really good. Anyone know average?
-The 92nd St. Y. Students have complete access to it.
-Financial Aid seemed good b/c MSSM has the 13k/year private loan that you defer up to 3yrs in residency
-The dummy patients (simulation dolls) and pretend rooms with cameras
-All that translates to great clinical traiining.
-Medical spanish electives.
-The hospital is really nice.
-Both Elmhurst and Sinai are great hospitals and at Elmhurst you get exposed to a lot that would not otherwise see (I guess it could be compared to Bellevue in that sense).

CONS:
-By Harlem, so it did seem a little shady at night.
-I did not like housing. The space/location is amazing, but I thought the building was dirty and the noise from the train ALL night was insane.
(I know most of you are gonna kill me for this, since people love sinai housing). For NYC, the size is AWESOME, but I'm not sure it compensates for
the crazy loud noise and the dirty hallways.
I thought I edit this because after this weekend I kinda changed my mind. The student I stayed with for my interview had his apt right next to the train, but other appts are on the other side so you really dont hear the train at all. Plus if you get a high enough appt you'll barely hear the train.
-I felt like the students do not match that well in some specialties, I am considering academic medicine, so this is important for me.
but then again, I know match lists cant really be trusted.

Add to the Pros and Cons list in future posts if you can, Thanks

I'm almost positive I'm going to Sinai this fall.
Still going to the 5th and 6th second look weekend.

Princess and Greendot, are you both coming to 2nd look weekend?

NunoBR said:
Here are my thoughts after revisit this past weekend.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

PROS:
-Great school, good reputation
-Central Park. It's so nice to be right in front of it.
-Because of central park and the subway stop being a block away, the location is definitely very very nice.
-Great research/ option to add MD/PhD later.
-You start electives early on. So let's say, the student I stayed with was a first year and he did a surgery elective during the first year.
Bottom line, you get exposed to the specialties you are interested in early on.
-Students were VERY VERY happy and down to earth.
-Location is kinda nice because you get to experience both Harlem and UES. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of places to hang out/study (coffe houses etc, yes that's where I study, me and my headphones LOL).
-Students emphasized that profs love to teach. And they stressed this again this past weekend. We met a couple of the professors and they were really nice.
-Cafeteria was really nice (I know this doesn't really matter).
-Close to the subway (not that important either). Actuallly it is quite important.
-Anatomy lab overlooks Central Park (Do I remember this correctly? Or am I going crazy?)
-According to Dean, board scores are Really good. Anyone know average?
-The 92nd St. Y. Students have complete access to it.
-Financial Aid seemed good b/c MSSM has the 13k/year private loan that you defer up to 3yrs in residency
-The dummy patients (simulation dolls) and pretend rooms with cameras
-All that translates to great clinical traiining.
-Medical spanish electives.
-The hospital is really nice.
-Both Elmhurst and Sinai are great hospitals and at Elmhurst you get exposed to a lot that would not otherwise see (I guess it could be compared to Bellevue in that sense).

CONS:
-By Harlem, so it did seem a little shady at night.
-I did not like housing. The space/location is amazing, but I thought the building was dirty and the noise from the train ALL night was insane.
(I know most of you are gonna kill me for this, since people love sinai housing). For NYC, the size is AWESOME, but I'm not sure it compensates for
the crazy loud noise and the dirty hallways.
I thought I edit this because after this weekend I kinda changed my mind. The student I stayed with for my interview had his apt right next to the train, but other appts are on the other side so you really dont hear the train at all. Plus if you get a high enough appt you'll barely hear the train.
-I felt like the students do not match that well in some specialties, I am considering academic medicine, so this is important for me.
but then again, I know match lists cant really be trusted.

Add to the Pros and Cons list in future posts if you can, Thanks

I'm almost positive I'm going to Sinai this fall.
Still going to the 5th and 6th second look weekend.

I believe the board scores are >230 (233 if my memory surves me correctly)

NunoBR said:
Princess and Greendot, are you both coming to 2nd look weekend?

Hey Nuno,

Thanks for that post. What was the actual revisit weeekend like? What did you guys do?

And yes, I'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks :)

For those who will be attending the second look, what time will you be getting into town?
Unfortunately, my flight arrives at like 10 AM, so I'll have 5 hours or so to kill before the events begin.

BigMAC said:
For those who will be attending the second look, what time will you be getting into town?
Unfortunately, my flight arrives at like 10 AM, so I'll have 5 hours or so to kill before the events begin.

I'll be arriving on the 4th to see my family in Westchester, so I'll be around.

Of those of us attending 2nd look, how many are staying overnight at Aron Hall?

I finally got the confirmation email yesterday, and another email stating that my student host will be contacting me soon, so I'm getting excited about getting to NY in a week and a half and meeting some of you.

By the way, No one but Nuno had any comments on the April 2nd look?

Nuno, are you still coming to the May revisit?

I'll be there, but not stayin overnight. I've had enough couch surfing after the interview season!

slim06 said:
I'll be there, but not stayin overnight. I've had enough couch surfing after the interview season!

Yeah, I feel that. My parents live in Westchester, and though I signed up to stay at Sinai, I'm still debating whether to stay at my parents place on Friday night, and take the train in on Saturday.

greendot said:
Yeah, I feel that. My parents live in Westchester, and though I signed up to stay at Sinai, I'm still debating whether to stay at my parents place on Friday night, and take the train in on Saturday.

Yes, greendot. I'm definitely coming.

BTW, If I were you I would not stay over in westchester.
We are going out that night so will be a big hassle for you to take the train.
But in the end it's up to you.
See you there.

NunoBR said:

See you there.

At the first second look weekend, where did everyone go out to after dinner?

BigMAC said:
At the first second look weekend, where did everyone go out to after dinner?

i didn't go but i spoke to someone who went, they went to a brazilian bbq place in times square. the guy i talked to said it was really good but he forgot the name of it.

wendywellesley said:
i didn't go but i spoke to someone who went, they went to a brazilian bbq place in times square. the guy i talked to said it was really good but he forgot the name of it.

It was called Churrascaria Plataforma.
Really good Brazilian food.

For all y'all who went to the first second look, what were some of the highlights? Were there festivities? What did you want to see more of? And are y'all coming back for the second second look?

NunoBR said:

See you there.

Thanks for the input Nuno. I was on the fence, so you just helped me pick a side :) See you next weekend!

greendot said:
Thanks for the input Nuno. I was on the fence, so you just helped me pick a side :) See you next weekend!

Hey everyone,

Just saying hello and really looking forward to 2nd look this weekend. Are any of you staying over at Aron Hall too?

thefreshmaker said:
Hey everyone,

Just saying hello and really looking forward to 2nd look this weekend. Are any of you staying over at Aron Hall too?

I'll be staying in Aron Hall, though my student host is slackin' on getting in touch with me.

hey guys, when do we have to be at mssm for orientation? thanks!

Anyone have the schedule for those revisit days?

Is it safe to assume that it's going to be just a 36-hour beerfest? Will there be B-list celebrity sightings?

Damnit I'm going to NYC, and I want to see Justin Timberlake!
http://www.gawker.com/stalker/

pallcare said:
hey guys, when do we have to be at mssm for orientation? thanks!

I'm pretty sure that Orientation begins August 17th.

slim06 said:

Is it safe to assume that it's going to be just a 36-hour beerfest? Will there be B-list celebrity sightings?

There's no schedule yet ... we're going to get it when we arrive. I know that for those staying in Aron Hall we're supposed to meet up with our hosts between 3 and 4.

slim06 said:

hahahha. For real, lets roll up the kegs into the main lobby. Keg Stands, anyone???

Has anyone actually received the financial aid award letter from Sinai yet?

greendot said:

I received a letter yesterday asking for income info.
Called the office and they said I should be getting my actual package sometime this week.
Got it from NYU though, and it does not look good at all.

NunoBR said:
I received a letter yesterday asking for income info.
Called the office and they said I should be getting my actual package sometime this week.
Got it from NYU though, and it does not look good at all.

So are you still deciding between NYU and MSSM?

greendot said:

I asked for a copy of my letter to be sent to me via email. Dale Fuller said that we should be receiving our letters this week in the mail.

BigMAC said:
I asked for a copy of my letter to be sent to me via email. Dale Fuller said that we should be receiving our letters this week in the mail.

Cool, thanks. I just want to know what the deal is already.

Hey anyone know what the attire for the revisit weekend is? Slacks? Jeans? Or should I just get creative?

slim06 said:
Hey anyone know what the attire for the revisit weekend is? Slacks? Jeans? Or should I just get creative?

Good question. I was thinking business casual (no jacket/tie) for the day, and then maybe jeans and a polo to go to dinner.