MSc in Pharmacology and Toxicology...good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmbabi4u

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get into pharmacy school for the past couple of years. My GPA (2.2) and PCAT (54 composite) scores are really pretty weak. I complete my BS in Biology this year (2012) and was thinking about applying to a MSc in Pharmacology and Toxicology (w/ a conc in Pharmacology) program, and then applying afterwards.
Is completing a MS in Pharm/Tox beneficial for me?
Will what I learn in my MS Pharm/Tox program be applicable or helpful if I ever get into pharmacy school?
I actually plan on actually going into clinical pharmacy, would a MS in Pharm/Tox be helpful?

Any and all info would be helpful...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you will get into a MS program. You will need to take courses as non-degree seeking at their university and get good grades before they even accept you. And non-degree seeking is expensive because I don't think you can get any aid or anything, but don't quote me on that. I think most schools let you take 12 credits in a program before you need to be accepted into it. I looked at a MS at University of the Sciences of Philadelphia.

I don't think you will get into a MS program. You will need to take courses as non-degree seeking at their university and get good grades before they even accept you. And non-degree seeking is expensive because I don't think you can get any aid or anything, but don't quote me on that. I think most schools let you take 12 credits in a program before you need to be accepted into it. I looked at a MS at University of the Sciences of Philadelphia.

The program that I found does not require a min GPA and I've already spoken to a admissions rep.

So, apart from the getting in part, will it be worth it? =/

Members don't see this ad :)
have you considered retaking courses to improve your undergrad gpa?

Im in my last semester, I have retaken some of the pre-req class, most of which I have improved my grades in.
My cum. GPA included all the classes I've taken (including those towards my BS)

Im in my last semester, I have retaken some of the pre-req class, most of which I have improved my grades in.
My cum. GPA included all the classes I've taken (including those towards my BS)

i would goto community college after you graduate and spend a year taking as many classes as you can to bring your gpa up.