MS1 - Ask me Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how do you study? like as in what resources did you use?
UFAP minus the U - that's for dedicated.
FA is, of course, needed. I'm studying for boards alongside my curriculum. As time has progressed, I've noticed a bit of a mismatch between what I'm taught vs. what is relevant for the boards.

Pathoma is bae. IDK how people studied pathology before? Shoutout to my boy Goljan, still used by all med students driving/going for a quick run:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@Dr. Stalker

1. What did you do to improve your MCAT score?

2. I've heard that applying both MD/PhD and MD in a single cycle can hurt your chances with MD programs. Did you find that to be true?

3. Some schools don't allow applications to both their MD/PhD and MD programs by the same person in the same cycle. Is there an easy way to find out which ones will allow it?

4. Which medical schools have you learned on your journey to have the most cutthroat/depressing environments for students?

5. How many applications did you send out in your third and last cycle?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Dr. Stalker

1. What did you do to improve your MCAT score?

Studied, changed my mentality. It was a huge shift from old mcat to new mcat mind you, so I was still thinking old school, and I think I finally adapted and accepted the new test

2. I've heard that applying both MD/PhD and MD in a single cycle can hurt your chances with MD programs. Did you find that to be true?
No - I applied MD/PhD to all institutions though. Some I knew were going to be direct rejections MD/PhD, in which case they re-evaluate your application for the MD program.

3. Some schools don't allow applications to both their MD/PhD and MD programs by the same person in the same cycle. Is there an easy way to find out which ones will allow it?

I don't think I faced that issue. Although, this was a little while ago, I believe on the AMCAS you are able to select what pathway you are pursuing at said institution.

4. Which medical schools have you learned on your journey to have the most cutthroat/depressing environments for students?

JHU, HMS, Wash U. are really depressing. Pure cutthroat, every man/woman out for themselves. That isn't limited to students. Faculty professors and physicians are like this as well. Ground-breaking research paper gets accepted to NEJM? Magically the medical student that did all the work gets bumped off of first author and a resident takes first author. Yeah those are the "top places" but that's the drawback to them. There's a # of "sort of top/top/just not the absolute top" that are wonderful. Jefferson, Mt. Sinai, Case Western come to mind.

5. How many applications did you send out in your third and last cycle?
First cycle: 20 MD schools, 3 interviews, 3 waitlists, 3 rejections. 2 of the schools post-rejection said my MCAT score was the reason for rejection, the other school said it was my MCAT and one of my interviews was lousy (which I already knew)

Second cycle: 3 MD schools - the same 3 that interviewed me before - 3 rejections lol.

Third cycle: 35 MD schools - 12 interviews (I think? I lost count cause I stopped going on them after I got accepted to my #1 choice) - multiple waitlists and multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user